GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanadianQuackers » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm
I recently passed my CBSA interview and I'm super excited about this opportunity. However, I have also applied for different law enforcement departments that are moving a little faster than CBSA and looks like I will have an opportunity sooner than later. That said, I'm considering all aspects of possible opportunities and one of the main ones I would love to have access to is working abroad since I have my degree in International Studies.

Does anyone know what sort of International jobs are out there with CBSA? I speak/write three languages (English, Spanish and French) and would like to have an idea how far my languages + degrees would take me in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you!
Try in the "ASK the CBSA" thread. I had asked someone, who I know personally, something similar and my impression of what they said seems like most of the work outside of Canada is highly specialized and not of the nature that multiple languages would be an "asset" when it comes to obtaining or performing those jobs. Interjecting my own opinion with what this person said, I think that's because CBSA's scope is kind of limited. This doesn't mean they don't do anything or deal with the international but it is far less than other institutions. What they do is also highly specific and specialized and pertains to Canada for the most part.

If you want to work outside of Canada but also utilize languages and your education as more than just a qualifier for moving up the ladder, assuming it's at least a bachelors degree from an accredited Canadain university, I would suggest the Canadian Forces or CSIS. From everything I have heard and read, while securing spots overseas is limited, the utility of knowing additional languages or having a defined skillset is further reaching elsewhere, as a large portion of those institutions deals with international spaces. From what I know, you won't ever be guaranteed a spot overseas, so if you think about the nature of each institution they typically deal with the securitization of the state, therefore a majority of the positions will be in Canada and likely dealing with the official languages. Always apply to these organizations with that in mind, it's plausible that regardless of where you end up, you never leave Canada. The probability wanes the more specialized it is to the Canadian context.

If I had to guess, based on all the people I know or have talked to and all the info I have read here and on other forums/sites it would look something like this in terms of likelihood to leave Canada:

(Highest to Lowest)

Canadian Forces (Navy/Airforce)
Candian Forces (Army)
CSIS
RCMP
CBSA
Municipal Police

However, I would bet all are actually relatively low with the top three being FAR ahead of the others.

May not be what you're looking for but I thought I would share my experience. A rule of thumb I have learned is always to look at the minimum level of the jobs (after training) and if you couldn't enjoy that place/job forever, it's probably not ideal for you. Your education and language training will never be useless, but if the goal is to work abroad using them to carry on some sort of mission, I would say make sure you check out the CF or the GC website for jobs dealing with Immigration. There are a lot of positions that have no law enforcement duties but will utilize those skills. Sorry for the essay.

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm

I did my interview in December and received an email this morning. It states that I should expect psy assessment invite shortly. :D :D

Good luck, everyone!
CBSA GTA Applicant
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: September 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019

diyanich
Rookie Member

Postby diyanich » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Congrats to all who are receiving favourable updates!

Best of luck in the next steps you take !

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
I recently passed my CBSA interview and I'm super excited about this opportunity. However, I have also applied for different law enforcement departments that are moving a little faster than CBSA and looks like I will have an opportunity sooner than later. That said, I'm considering all aspects of possible opportunities and one of the main ones I would love to have access to is working abroad since I have my degree in International Studies.

Does anyone know what sort of International jobs are out there with CBSA? I speak/write three languages (English, Spanish and French) and would like to have an idea how far my languages + degrees would take me in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you!
There are very, very, very few international jobs. CBSA still is not doing preclearance. There are a handful of intel officers stationed abroad, a few liaison officers, some people doing nexus enrolment in the USA, and that’s about it.

Your language skills and degree would be an asset for the Liaison Officer positions but you would take years, aptitude, and a good amount of luck/connections to get one. If you go to an airport you’ll use your languages a good bit tho.

JeanFrancois

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 am

kellylihomes wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm
I did my interview in December and received an email this morning. It states that I should expect psy assessment invite shortly. :D :D

Good luck, everyone!
Hey,

Great news for you . Was it from the CBSA or third party provider?

JeanFrancois
CBSA:
App: Aug 2018
OT.E.E: PASS Oct 2018
Interview: PASS Jan 2019
Psych: T.B.D

RCMP
Hearing: PASS
Vision: Scheduled.

Sk1z
Rookie Member

Postby Sk1z » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 am

got one also
Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
Interview: Jan 23rd, 2018
Psych Evaluation: TBD
PARE: TBD
Medical Evaluation:TBD
Security Clearance:TBD
OITP:TBD
Rigaud:TBD

JeanFrancois

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:37 am

Sk1z wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 am
got one also
Sweet!, congrats on moving forward.
CBSA:

RCMP

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 am
kellylihomes wrote:

Good luck, everyone!
Hey,

JeanFrancois
It was from CBSA national recruit email. But mentioned the invite will come from a third party provider.
CBSA GTA Applicant
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: September 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019

JeanFrancois

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am

kellylihomes wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am
JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 am
kellylihomes wrote:

Good luck, everyone!
Hey,

JeanFrancois
It was from CBSA national recruit email. But mentioned the invite will come from a third party provider.
Cool, thanks for the info . fingers crossed for the rest of us soon!
CBSA:

RCMP

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 am

melom wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 pm
manuel4140 wrote:

Thank you!
There are very, very, very few international jobs. CBSA still is not doing preclearance. There are a handful of intel officers stationed abroad, a few liaison officers, some people doing nexus enrolment in the USA, and that’s about it.

Your language skills and degree would be an asset for the Liaison Officer positions but you would take years, aptitude, and a good amount of luck/connections to get one. If you go to an airport you’ll use your languages a good bit tho.
Thanks! That's what I thought but just wanted to check if anyone knew here. The other day I came across a web page that showed CBSA officers stationed across the world but I haven't been able to find again. Just wanted to see what those jobs were about but couldn't find anything else on them.

I have a strong desire to move up the ladder as soon as possible and I'm one of those that takes opportunities when given. Liaison Officer would definitely be a target once I'm in.

Thanks for the info!

elow
Rookie Member

Postby elow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:19 pm

kellylihomes wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm
Breret wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:40 pm
"Hello, could you tell me when did you get your interview result? Just want to see your timeline. Thanks."

Hi ! I did my interview on Dec. 17th 2018 and I received my results on Jan. 2nd 2019. When did you receive your results ? :-)
I got my interview result on Dec 14, 2018. However, have not scheduled for psy assessment yet. Hopefully soon.
I got my results the same day you did.(Jan 2nd 2019). I just got an email saying I will hear shortly from the 3rd party pys. Hope Im not waiting another month for them.
Applied: Aug '18
OTEE: Sept 18'
Pare: Nov 17'
Interview: Dec '18 - Interview Results: Jan 2 '19
Psych Written: April 2 '19 - Psych Interview: April 18 '19
Medical:
Security Interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:54 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm
manuel4140 wrote:

Thank you!
Try in the "ASK the CBSA" thread. I had asked someone, who I know personally, something similar and my impression of what they said seems like most of the work outside of Canada is highly specialized and not of the nature that multiple languages would be an "asset" when it comes to obtaining or performing those jobs. Interjecting my own opinion with what this person said, I think that's because CBSA's scope is kind of limited. This doesn't mean they don't do anything or deal with the international but it is far less than other institutions. What they do is also highly specific and specialized and pertains to Canada for the most part.

If you want to work outside of Canada but also utilize languages and your education as more than just a qualifier for moving up the ladder, assuming it's at least a bachelors degree from an accredited Canadain university, I would suggest the Canadian Forces or CSIS. From everything I have heard and read, while securing spots overseas is limited, the utility of knowing additional languages or having a defined skillset is further reaching elsewhere, as a large portion of those institutions deals with international spaces. From what I know, you won't ever be guaranteed a spot overseas, so if you think about the nature of each institution they typically deal with the securitization of the state, therefore a majority of the positions will be in Canada and likely dealing with the official languages. Always apply to these organizations with that in mind, it's plausible that regardless of where you end up, you never leave Canada. The probability wanes the more specialized it is to the Canadian context.

If I had to guess, based on all the people I know or have talked to and all the info I have read here and on other forums/sites it would look something like this in terms of likelihood to leave Canada:

(Highest to Lowest)

Canadian Forces (Navy/Airforce)
Candian Forces (Army)
CSIS
RCMP
CBSA
Municipal Police

However, I would bet all are actually relatively low with the top three being FAR ahead of the others.

May not be what you're looking for but I thought I would share my experience. A rule of thumb I have learned is always to look at the minimum level of the jobs (after training) and if you couldn't enjoy that place/job forever, it's probably not ideal for you. Your education and language training will never be useless, but if the goal is to work abroad using them to carry on some sort of mission, I would say make sure you check out the CF or the GC website for jobs dealing with Immigration. There are a lot of positions that have no law enforcement duties but will utilize those skills. Sorry for the essay.
Thank you for the message and for your input. And yes you are right, a little interjecting as you said. I actually found it in the “ASK the CBSA” thread. There are a number of CBSA Intelligence officers stationed around the world. That said, I don’t see how multiple languages would not be an asset if you are representing Canada in a foreign country. For instance, being in Europe, I would assume CBSA would station someone that speaks at least two or three of the official languages within the European Union or if you are in Latin America, I don’t see CBSA placing someone that does not at least speak English/French and Spanish as a necessity to get around in a Spanish speaking nation.

I don’t necessarily want to work outside of Canada but I’m just looking into what future options I “may” have with CBSA since I have the credentials I mentioned. I looked into the daily work of a CBSA officer and I quite like the duties/responsibilities they do an a daily basis. As well, the pay is really good compared to many jobs out there and never mind the overtime which could become a second income or third for married couples.

thebronzehorseman
Rookie Member

Postby thebronzehorseman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Orphee wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hello!

I did the OTEE yesterday (February 25th 2019) and I was not able to complete the test under 2h30. I completed only 65-70% of the test. Some of the questions needed a lot more time than 1 minute to answers them correctly. I don't read very quickly but I have a bachelor degree so... it's not like I never had to pass an exam in my life. I really think, based on the directives in the email that we received for the exam, that it will be considered as a failed OTEE. And that I will have to wait 1 year to be able to reapply again. Am I the only one who did not have enough time to complete it?

I just took the exam yesterday (12/03/2019), and did not complete the exam in it's entirety either. I finished with only nine questions unanswered. I'm also not a fast reader and some of the questions certainly require more than one minute to answer correctly given all of the reading material and information to review. I also have a Bachelor's degree and have had to take more exams than most people could imagine. I am surprised that they (CBSA) want such rapid responses given that they want thorough officers.

From my understanding, the email does state that an incomplete exam will result in a failing grade and thus the participant will be removed from the selection process. I suppose you and I must retake the exam in one year's time unfortunately.

thebronzehorseman
Rookie Member

Postby thebronzehorseman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm

thebronzehorseman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Orphee wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hello!

I did the OTEE yesterday (February 25th 2019) and I was not able to complete the test under 2h30. I completed only 65-70% of the test. Some of the questions needed a lot more time than 1 minute to answers them correctly. I don't read very quickly but I have a bachelor degree so... it's not like I never had to pass an exam in my life. I really think, based on the directives in the email that we received for the exam, that it will be considered as a failed OTEE. And that I will have to wait 1 year to be able to reapply again. Am I the only one who did not have enough time to complete it?
I just took the exam yesterday (12/03/2019), and did not complete the exam in it's entirety either. I finished with only nine questions unanswered. I'm also not a fast reader and some of the questions certainly require more than one minute to answer correctly given all of the reading material and information to review. I also have a Bachelor's degree and have had to take more exams than most people could imagine. I am surprised that they (CBSA) want such rapid responses given that they want thorough officers.

From my understanding, the email does state that an incomplete exam will result in a failing grade and thus the participant will be removed from the selection process. I suppose you and I must retake the exam in one year's time unfortunately.

Charoskh
Rookie Member

OTEE- Not enough time

Postby Charoskh » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and the site. I just registered after doing my research on google as i need your help please.
I just wrote my CBSA OTEE EXAM this morning. And the time was allowed only 2 hours and 30 minutes. With 134 multiple questions. I only could complete 56 questions thats when the exam ended and my time was up. Can someone please tell me if 2.5 hrs for 134 questions enough time and how did you guys manage it? I had to think and think not too sure if i was so slow but I could not complete the whole questions. Now i am not sure what will happen as I feel like my exam will be considered as incomplete.
Please help me and advise of your own experience and what is the passing mark?

Am I still eligible to proceed further with the application?