GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Zedlinka

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:22 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am

Come on ? Lol

I’m pretty sure you are allowed days off as you are a paid employee

If they do not allow. Go to Doctors and get s sick note
Yeah, no. You're not a paid employee. You get an allowance at training. Only days off you get are weekends, a holiday (if they can make it work in the schedule) or a sick day, in which you are spending it in your room. There's no doctors note. If you require a doctors note for something, it's probably bad enough that you shouldn't be at training.
Wow, I can see you will be management. I would hate to be your partner.
I was stating facts. What I said is exactly how it goes. You're not entitled to any personal days while you're there. If you're so entitled that you think you deserve them because you're being paid an allowance, perhaps do more research and maybe drop the disrespect to someone who's been through the process and is feeding you information.

Edited to note; I will never be management. As much as I love my bosses, I enjoy the front line, searching cars, completing interviews and all the fun stuff that you, and until recently myself, as applicants, are excited to do.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Gurilla
Rookie Member

Postby Gurilla » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello all,

Currently working as a Correctional Officer in Manitoba and I'm looking to switch careers. Any word of when the next online job posting will be?

Thanks

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Gurilla wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:18 pm
Hello all,

Currently working as a Correctional Officer in Manitoba and I'm looking to switch careers. Any word of when the next online job posting will be?

Thanks
I think they usually come out in February for some reason, I can't say for certain though.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

A North

Postby A North » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:38 am
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am

Hi, this was sort of answered in the posts following yours, but I thought I'd reach out.

Your room, food, etc. is all paid for. Everything you immediately need is paid for.
The 125 a week is a basic allowance for anything additional you may need. Obviously, this doesn't cover much. I thankfully had a wife at home to cover the home expenses. My monthly $525 covered my car and my phone with a tiny bit left over for things like Tim hortons and stuff.

You'll need things like hangers and laundry detergent, snacks are good to have too. So that's basically where your money will go.
Thank you, this is the type of answer I was looking for :)

My main thing I'm wondering is if recruits wish they would've had more saved for weekends/activities while they were at Rigaud. I don't know how much "free time" there actually would be on weekends so just wondering if they found the allowance was holding them back from going to Montreal or something on a weekend.

Your weekends are pretty open. It really depends what you want to do. I spent most of my weekends relaxing. Spending time video calling family, laundry, ironing, 3-5 hours of studying, walks for coffee. Granted, it was winter. We did go out for dinner once a week usually on the weekend.
There are activities to do around, which all sound super fun, BUT, with the risk of getting injured, nobody usually partakes.
If Montreal clubs and stuff are your style, you may wish to save more. I'd be more concerned about saving more for the 6-8 weeks after Rigaud. You'll have two weeks before you start, and then your first pay can take up to 8 weeks (mine took 5) so you're living off whatever you have for that time. That's the important time, in my opinion, to have money saved.

It 100% depends what you want to do.
Activity wise, I was fine with my allowance. But I didn't do much, either.
Why does it take so long to start getting paid? Is that a Phoenix issue or something? I feel like that wouldn't fly anywhere else. It's pretty concerning for me as a broke student, especially if I get sent to a place with a much higher cost of living.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:32 pm

A North wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:24 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:38 am
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 am

Thank you, this is the type of answer I was looking for :)

My main thing I'm wondering is if recruits wish they would've had more saved for weekends/activities while they were at Rigaud. I don't know how much "free time" there actually would be on weekends so just wondering if they found the allowance was holding them back from going to Montreal or something on a weekend.

Your weekends are pretty open. It really depends what you want to do. I spent most of my weekends relaxing. Spending time video calling family, laundry, ironing, 3-5 hours of studying, walks for coffee. Granted, it was winter. We did go out for dinner once a week usually on the weekend.
There are activities to do around, which all sound super fun, BUT, with the risk of getting injured, nobody usually partakes.
If Montreal clubs and stuff are your style, you may wish to save more. I'd be more concerned about saving more for the 6-8 weeks after Rigaud. You'll have two weeks before you start, and then your first pay can take up to 8 weeks (mine took 5) so you're living off whatever you have for that time. That's the important time, in my opinion, to have money saved.

It 100% depends what you want to do.
Activity wise, I was fine with my allowance. But I didn't do much, either.
Why does it take so long to start getting paid? Is that a Phoenix issue or something? I feel like that wouldn't fly anywhere else. It's pretty concerning for me as a broke student, especially if I get sent to a place with a much higher cost of living.
You're paid 2 weeks in arrears as with most jobs, and there's a processing delay getting all of your banking info (despite Rigaud already having it) and stuff set up. At least that's how it was explained to me. Knowing this ahead of time, if you plan to have approximately a months' wages saved up you should, theoretically, be okay. It might be tight for the first little bit, but you'll be okay. I (personally) don't know anyone who struggled too much during the gap. You'll be fine with a little pre-planning.

BSO

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Finally got the email. Integrity interview December 10
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE March 2019:
RPAL: March 2019
OITP:

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:12 pm

jwlong wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm
Congrats!! That's awesome and best of luck ;)
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm

I got a pretty generic e-mail today saying they are still in the process of arranging classes and to keep patient.

Anyone know if the March OITP class spots are filled or when the invite is supposed to go out? Assuming Feb is full already.

Cheers all,

:wave:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Medical Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Medical Clearance- granted
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
BG/SC in process
Troop:TBD

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Boomboom72 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:12 pm
jwlong wrote:
Congrats!! That's awesome and best of luck ;)
Thanks so looking forward to it. Hopefully not that long after for granted security and Rigaud
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

SC_07
Rookie Member

Postby SC_07 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:54 pm

jwlong wrote:
That's awesome! :) almost there
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (pass)
Int.: Mar 2019 (pass)
PARE: Apr 2019 (pass)
Psych Writ. & Int. : July 2019 / Aug 2019 (pass)
SEC. Clear. Sent: Sept 2019
Medical: Nov 2019 (pass)
Integrity Interview: Nov 2019 (granted)
OITP:
RIGAUD:

cbsayyyyyy
Rookie Member

Postby cbsayyyyyy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey Guys!

It's my first time posting on here but I was hoping you all could give me some advice!
I completed my interview a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if I should send recruitment an email with my updated resume. A lot has changed since I applied. Does this seem like a good idea or should I just hold back?

Thank you and good luck to everyone at any stage!!!

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 pm

SC_07 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:54 pm
jwlong wrote:
That's awesome! :) almost there
Thanks. I really hope so.
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am

Fonthill wrote:
Zedlinka wrote:
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am

Come on ? Lol

I’m pretty sure you are allowed days off as you are a paid employee

If they do not allow. Go to Doctors and get s sick note
Yeah, no. You're not a paid employee. You get an allowance at training. Only days off you get are weekends, a holiday (if they can make it work in the schedule) or a sick day, in which you are spending it in your room. There's no doctors note. If you require a doctors note for something, it's probably bad enough that you shouldn't be at training.
:thumbsup:
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am
Fonthill wrote:
Zedlinka wrote:

:thumbsup:
Super mature.

BSO

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:26 am

cbsayyyyyy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:44 pm
Hey Guys!

It's my first time posting on here but I was hoping you all could give me some advice!
I completed my interview a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if I should send recruitment an email with my updated resume. A lot has changed since I applied. Does this seem like a good idea or should I just hold back?

Thank you and good luck to everyone at any stage!!!
It doesn't hurt, of course.
I found that you really only need to update your mailing address. That's the only thing that seems to matter. I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again; I changed jobs quite often in my run up to becoming an officer, and I don't think I ever notified them. Not because I was trying to hide anything, I just never thought about it that much.

BSO