GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Zedlinka

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am
I have a question for people who have attended Rigaud. I know that they give you $125 per week while at the college, but did you find this was enough to live off when you were there? I know it will vary based off of each persons different circumstances (mortgage, car payments, etc.) but I'm just wondering if that was enough to cover day-to-day expenses there. If not, roughly how much more did you spend while you were there? Thanks in advance.
Hi, this was sort of answered in the posts following yours, but I thought I'd reach out.

Your room, food, etc. is all paid for. Everything you immediately need is paid for.
The 125 a week is a basic allowance for anything additional you may need. Obviously, this doesn't cover much. I thankfully had a wife at home to cover the home expenses. My monthly $525 covered my car and my phone with a tiny bit left over for things like Tim hortons and stuff.

You'll need things like hangers and laundry detergent, snacks are good to have too. So that's basically where your money will go.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:34 am

I would also like to note that it seems newer applicants are getting through the process much quicker than at least I did (3 years from application to Rigaud) so getting the PARE done following your interview is probably a good idea. You don't want to be in the situation where you need it in a certain amount of time and there's no places doing it in the time frame you need. Worst case scenario is you have to re-do it. I get that it can be expensive, but peace of mind is probably better.

Good luck to the new applicants, and new members to the forum
and good luck to those of you starting your OITP online portion!
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

JohnWilliamson3000
Rookie Member

Postby JohnWilliamson3000 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 am

Refer to my timeline to see an example of a little longer wait times between steps :lol:
Chicken111 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:51 pm
Here i am in the waiting train. Sent my security forms in october. How long before an answer for next appointement? (SLE or med). It seems to vary a lot between regions. Also, did they sent you a confirmation email about receiving your forms after sending them?

Thanks!
Applied: February 2017
Interview: October 2018 ✅
Psych: October 2018✅
Security Papers: December 2018
Pare: April 2019 ✅
Integrity Interview: April 2019
Medical: May 2019 ✅
Security Clearance: December 2019
Online OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

JohnWilliamson3000
Rookie Member

Postby JohnWilliamson3000 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:13 am

Does anyone who has been to Rigaud know if they make any exceptions for one day off at the college? I have had my wedding date set since March last year for a Friday in August 2020. I was hoping to go to Rigaud before my wedding but that does not seem to be the case. I would hate to have to reschedule my wedding after already putting so much money and planning into it already.

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 am

JohnWilliamson3000 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:13 am
Does anyone who has been to Rigaud know if they make any exceptions for one day off at the college? I have had my wedding date set since March last year for a Friday in August 2020. I was hoping to go to Rigaud before my wedding but that does not seem to be the case. I would hate to have to reschedule my wedding after already putting so much money and planning into it already.
Unfortunately you're going to be disappointed there. They don't do exceptions for anything, really.
I was worried about the same thing, fortunately was in the January intake (married August 2019). We thought for sure we were gonna have to reschedule too.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news on that one.

Good luck.

BSO

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 am
Unfortunately you're going to be disappointed there. They don't do exceptions for anything, really.
I was worried about the same thing, fortunately was in the January intake (married August 2019). We thought for sure we were gonna have to reschedule too.

Good luck.
Come on ? Lol

I’m pretty sure you are allowed days off as you are a paid employee

If they do not allow. Go to Doctors and get s sick note

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:54 am

Remember, family always before work !!!! You will have a great career if you stick with that

JohnWilliamson3000
Rookie Member

Postby JohnWilliamson3000 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:55 am

Damn! Well I think the next class is March, which would be my last chance to not be in Rigaud during my wedding. Here’s hoping it all works out! Thanks for the info!
Zedlinka wrote:

Good luck.

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am
Zedlinka wrote:

Good luck.
Come on ? Lol

Yeah, no. You're not a paid employee. You get an allowance at training. Only days off you get are weekends, a holiday (if they can make it work in the schedule) or a sick day, in which you are spending it in your room. There's no doctors note. If you require a doctors note for something, it's probably bad enough that you shouldn't be at training.

BSO

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:06 am

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:55 am
Damn! Well I think the next class is March, which would be my last chance to not be in Rigaud during my wedding. Here’s hoping it all works out! Thanks for the info!
Zedlinka wrote:

Good luck.
No problem. If you get the invite, you could probably ask them to defer until JAN 2021 (There are no intakes after August) as long as you explain why, it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people do that successfully. If you're in a good place financially, that would be my recommendation.

BSO

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am
PrairieFire31 wrote:
I have a question for people who have attended Rigaud. I know that they give you $125 per week while at the college, but did you find this was enough to live off when you were there? I know it will vary based off of each persons different circumstances (mortgage, car payments, etc.) but I'm just wondering if that was enough to cover day-to-day expenses there. If not, roughly how much more did you spend while you were there? Thanks in advance.
Hi, this was sort of answered in the posts following yours, but I thought I'd reach out.

Your room, food, etc. is all paid for. Everything you immediately need is paid for.
The 125 a week is a basic allowance for anything additional you may need. Obviously, this doesn't cover much. I thankfully had a wife at home to cover the home expenses. My monthly $525 covered my car and my phone with a tiny bit left over for things like Tim hortons and stuff.

You'll need things like hangers and laundry detergent, snacks are good to have too. So that's basically where your money will go.
Thank you, this is the type of answer I was looking for :)

My main thing I'm wondering is if recruits wish they would've had more saved for weekends/activities while they were at Rigaud. I don't know how much "free time" there actually would be on weekends so just wondering if they found the allowance was holding them back from going to Montreal or something on a weekend.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:38 am

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am
PrairieFire31 wrote:

Thank you, this is the type of answer I was looking for :)

My main thing I'm wondering is if recruits wish they would've had more saved for weekends/activities while they were at Rigaud. I don't know how much "free time" there actually would be on weekends so just wondering if they found the allowance was holding them back from going to Montreal or something on a weekend.

Your weekends are pretty open. It really depends what you want to do. I spent most of my weekends relaxing. Spending time video calling family, laundry, ironing, 3-5 hours of studying, walks for coffee. Granted, it was winter. We did go out for dinner once a week usually on the weekend.
There are activities to do around, which all sound super fun, BUT, with the risk of getting injured, nobody usually partakes.
If Montreal clubs and stuff are your style, you may wish to save more. I'd be more concerned about saving more for the 6-8 weeks after Rigaud. You'll have two weeks before you start, and then your first pay can take up to 8 weeks (mine took 5) so you're living off whatever you have for that time. That's the important time, in my opinion, to have money saved.

It 100% depends what you want to do.
Activity wise, I was fine with my allowance. But I didn't do much, either.

BSO

Kobi1
Rookie Member

Postby Kobi1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:52 am

Hey everyone. Does anyone know how many intakes there are between now and July? I sent an email to recruiting and they informed me that January and February were full and they would make it a priority to send me the invite before my CATIII expires in July 2020. My understanding was that there is one more for the winter in March and then summer intakes are June, July and August. Is that correct?
Applied: June 17
OTEE: January 18 - PASS
Interview: October 18 - PASS
Psych Evaluation: November 18 - PASS
Security papers: Sent February 19
PARE: March 19- PASS
Medical Evaluation: April 19 - PASS
Security Clearance: September 19 - PASS
Med redo: Apr 20

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:03 pm

Kobi1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:52 am
Hey everyone. Does anyone know how many intakes there are between now and July? I sent an email to recruiting and they informed me that January and February were full and they would make it a priority to send me the invite before my CATIII expires in July 2020. My understanding was that there is one more for the winter in March and then summer intakes are June, July and August. Is that correct?
Depends how they do it.
Last year it was Jan, Feb, March, April, June, July, August

I hear sometimes they don't do the April intake. I can see why, it's PACKED in there in April with that many recruits.
Regardless, the agency is short staffed so I'd assume there will be all of them.

BSO

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am
Zedlinka wrote:

Good luck.
Come on ? Lol

Yeah, no. You're not a paid employee. You get an allowance at training. Only days off you get are weekends, a holiday (if they can make it work in the schedule) or a sick day, in which you are spending it in your room. There's no doctors note. If you require a doctors note for something, it's probably bad enough that you shouldn't be at training.
Wow, I can see you will be management. I would hate to be your partner.