GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Riko

Re: CBSA Applicant Chit Chat

Postby Riko » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:35 pm
SC_07 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:17 pm
Curious question for those who are currently officers:

When you were invited to Riguad, were you given your Points Of Entry prior to Riguad? Or only when you were at the college did recruits know where they were heading?

If the latter, was it kind of like, "these are the POE's available for this Intake wave, pick and choose" or "recruit A, you're heading here, recruit B, you're heading there, etc."

Thanks!
Sorry, didn't answer this fully.

It's a completely random, double blind draw that involves your name going into two boxes. This is my best explanation as follows. If any recent grads want to correct it, please do. Here goes;

Everyone, one by one, puts their name into a box for whatever region they want (ATL, BC, SOR, NOR, GTA, QC)... If there are 4 or more positions in that region, they'll pull 75% of the names out of that box. Those 75% that got pulled are GUARANTEED a spot in that region... The other 25% of the postings in that region get thrown into the second round of the draw...

In the second round, the applicants names who were not pulled in the first round, get drawn for the remaining regions. So if there's two spots in BC, you can say you want BC. Boom, you'll pick out of whatever positions are available there.

Then, your names go into one big box for your pick times. So lets say you picked BC, and you got the 16th pick time. That means that you pick 16th overall, If you pick earlier than anyone else in your region, congrats, you get what you want. However, someone's gotta be last. So if you get the last pick time in your region, you get whatever's left, which can be extremely demoralizing if you're not willing to go anywhere like you said you will in the application process.
Thanks for the info !

The process seems fair, no priorities, no outside interference in deciding who does where. Pure luck of the draw. Maybe harsh for some, but it’s fair.

Best would have been prior going for training to invite people for the location spots available, assigned from the get go. But then some will complain it’s rigged inside.

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Riko wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
SC_07 wrote:

When you were invited to Riguad, were you given your Points Of Entry prior to Riguad? Or only when you were at the college did recruits know where they were heading?

If the latter, was it kind of like, "these are the POE's available for this Intake wave, pick and choose" or "recruit A, you're heading here, recruit B, you're heading there, etc."

Thanks!

It's a completely random, double blind draw that involves your name going into two boxes. This is my best explanation as follows. If any recent grads want to correct it, please do. Here goes;

Everyone, one by one, puts their name into a box for whatever region they want (ATL, BC, SOR, NOR, GTA, QC)... If there are 4 or more positions in that region, they'll pull 75% of the names out of that box. Those 75% that got pulled are GUARANTEED a spot in that region... The other 25% of the postings in that region get thrown into the second round of the draw...

In the second round, the applicants names who were not pulled in the first round, get drawn for the remaining regions. So if there's two spots in BC, you can say you want BC. Boom, you'll pick out of whatever positions are available there.

Then, your names go into one big box for your pick times. So lets say you picked BC, and you got the 16th pick time. That means that you pick 16th overall, If you pick earlier than anyone else in your region, congrats, you get what you want. However, someone's gotta be last. So if you get the last pick time in your region, you get whatever's left, which can be extremely demoralizing if you're not willing to go anywhere like you said you will in the application process.
Thanks for the info !

The process seems fair, no priorities, no outside interference in deciding who does where. Pure luck of the draw. Maybe harsh for some, but it’s fair.

Best would have been prior going for training to invite people for the location spots available, assigned from the get go. But then some will complain it’s rigged inside.
They did that once upon a time.
If I'm not mistaken, it was because it wasn't drawing any officers to smaller regions like the southern prairies. Those remote ports are hurting pretty bad for officers.

This way there is a (somewhat) fair distribution of officers.
As mentioned, Pearson itself gets about 10 officers per wave, which may seem like a lot, but considering they have over 500 officers, it's a little more fair.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
SC_07 wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, great post!

Happy Thanksgiving weekend to everyone 🦃
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 pm
Riko wrote:
Zedlinka wrote:

Thanks for the info !

If I'm not mistaken, it was because it wasn't drawing any officers to smaller regions like the southern prairies. Those remote ports are hurting pretty bad for officers.

As mentioned, Pearson itself gets about 10 officers per wave, which may seem like a lot, but considering they have over 500 officers, it's a little more fair.
Just curious, but were any discussions had between recruits regarding pic strategy? Say for example I wanted to return to eastern Ontario, I would let the other recruits know and between recruits try and make it work out as best possible depending obviously on available ports etc...
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

SC_07
Rookie Member

Postby SC_07 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
SC_07 wrote:

Thanks!

Amazing, thanks for the info!
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (pass)
Int.: Mar 2019 (pass)
PARE: Apr 2019 (pass)
Psych Writ. & Int. : July 2019 / Aug 2019 (pass)
SEC. Clear. Sent: Sept 2019
Medical: Nov 2019 (pass)
Integrity Interview: Nov 2019 (granted)
OITP:
RIGAUD:

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Boomboom72 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:30 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Riko wrote:

Thanks for the info !

Just curious, but were any discussions had between recruits regarding pic strategy? Say for example I wanted to return to eastern Ontario, I would let the other recruits know and between recruits try and make it work out as best possible depending obviously on available ports etc...
Sure, but again that would only really work after you got your region. You have two days (ish) between the day you pick your region/time and the day you actually pick (Draft day, I call it). So, sure, you have a few days to discuss it. But ultimately, I found most people wanted to get back to where they were from if they had the opportunity. There were a handful that didn't care, and a good chunk that didn't have a choice. People left the meeting with tears in their eyes, some cursed and swore and rambled about how they weren't sure they wanted the job, etc. All of us signed the same piece of paper, but until you're confronted with the prospect of not going where you want directly, it's a whole different ball game. I went in expecting not to get what I wanted. In fact I expected to get somewhere across the country in the Prairies. But I was fortunate and got where I wanted with some luck.

I didn't see anyone really doing any pick strategies. Most people just called home and spoke to their significant others, kids, moms, dads and whoever else to ask what they thought. If you're lucky, you won't be put into a position where you need to ask someone if they're going for a particular post. In my experience, some people lie to you about that to see if you'll back out of it thinking you won't get it.

My advice, tell no-one except your closest friends what you're going for. I managed to pick off the pre-list (a list of Limited Duration Postings in remote areas) so my being there for the actual pick at week 10 was just for moral support and to see how the process worked. Even as a bystander I was stressed out watching, and hoping that my friends were going to get places they wanted.

Hope that answers your question.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Boomboom72 wrote:
Zedlinka wrote:

Sure, but again that would only really work after you got your region. You have two days (ish) between the day you pick your region/time and the day you actually pick (Draft day, I call it). So, sure, you have a few days to discuss it. But ultimately, I found most people wanted to get back to where they were from if they had the opportunity. There were a handful that didn't care, and a good chunk that didn't have a choice. People left the meeting with tears in their eyes, some cursed and swore and rambled about how they weren't sure they wanted the job, etc. All of us signed the same piece of paper, but until you're confronted with the prospect of not going where you want directly, it's a whole different ball game. I went in expecting not to get what I wanted. In fact I expected to get somewhere across the country in the Prairies. But I was fortunate and got where I wanted with some luck.

I didn't see anyone really doing any pick strategies. Most people just called home and spoke to their significant others, kids, moms, dads and whoever else to ask what they thought. If you're lucky, you won't be put into a position where you need to ask someone if they're going for a particular post. In my experience, some people lie to you about that to see if you'll back out of it thinking you won't get it.

My advice, tell no-one except your closest friends what you're going for. I managed to pick off the pre-list (a list of Limited Duration Postings in remote areas) so my being there for the actual pick at week 10 was just for moral support and to see how the process worked. Even as a bystander I was stressed out watching, and hoping that my friends were going to get places they wanted.

Wow, amazing information, I always wondered if strategy would come into play or not... seems as though the randomness of it all kind of takes that part of the game out of the equation... key point I take from this, be prepared to truly go anywhere :) and just hope you get lucky!!
Thanks again, this was super informative!!
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Boomboom72 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:17 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Boomboom72 wrote:

Wow, amazing information, I always wondered if strategy would come into play or not... seems as though the randomness of it all kind of takes that part of the game out of the equation... key point I take from this, be prepared to truly go anywhere :) and just hope you get lucky!!
Thanks again, this was super informative!!
Just another point about strategy. This might sound cheesy, but your best strategy in Rigaud is learning to keep your head down and help each other. You're gonna meet people that get on your last nerve, but mostly you'll meet people who need help. You will probably need some at some point too. If you're lucky, you connect with people with varying experiences and different backgrounds. Some people were good at the legislation and practical side of things (like myself) and others are good at CDT (definitely not me). You need to work as a team and help each other out. Lying about port selection and shady stuff isn't cool. Everyone there is an adult (whether they act like it or not is a different story) and they should all be able to handle you or anyone else saying "I'm also putting in for Pearson or Windsor Tunnel or Pac Highway" etc. etc. If someone gets it over you, shake their hand. Let them know its OK. the amount of guilt I saw people come out with made me feel bad (and I wasn't even involved). Vice Versa. If you get it over someone else, those people should understand that at the end of the day, you had to make a decision based on your family or life circumstances.

I found that a lot of people tried to push small and remote postings or less desirable postings on younger people because we "don't have a family" or "have lots of time to make a name for themselves" that right there is BS. You do you, but don't trample others to get it. You all get your shot as fairly as possible.

BSO

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Anyone else get OTEE results in March and no interview yet? Emailed recruiters to mention I am moving next month to a new city and on updating my address and slid in there “while I wait for interview” :P no reply yet.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

singhs
Rookie Member

Postby singhs » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:23 pm
Anyone else get OTEE results in March and no interview yet? Emailed recruiters to mention I am moving next month to a new city and on updating my address and slid in there “while I wait for interview” :P no reply yet.

I am on the same boat. Still waiting for an interview. Aberta applicant.

veteran9750
Rookie Member

Postby veteran9750 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 am

singhs wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:22 pm
Suikoden wrote:

I am on the same boat. Still waiting for an interview. Aberta applicant.
Still waiting... just crickets

MKY
Rookie Member

Postby MKY » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Be patient friend but do ask for an update for the interview. Just ask for an update for the interview, there's nothing wrong with asking for an update just do it every 3 months. I also got my results in March and I got my interview in October. I applied as a bilingual candidate from Quebec. Hope it helps!
CBSA - Quebec

Applied: Jan. 19
OTEE: Feb. 19
OTEE Result: March 19 - Pass
PARE/Firearms courses: April 19 - Pass
Interview: October 19 - Pass
Second Language evaluation: TBA
Psychological assessment: TBA
Medical: TBA
Security clearance: TBA

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:25 pm

MKY wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 pm
Suikoden wrote:
Be patient friend but do ask for an update for the interview. Just ask for an update for the interview, there's nothing wrong with asking for an update just do it every 3 months. I also got my results in March and I got my interview in October. I applied as a bilingual candidate from Quebec. Hope it helps!
Most definitely. It’s also thanksgiving, so there’s that too.

I don’t mind the little wait..let’s me move next month I suppose!
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

Boxto
Rookie Member

Postby Boxto » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:46 am

luke27 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:14 pm
blueline91 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:39 am
luke27 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 pm
Hey guys I’m just wondering has recruitment sent you an email stating that the results of the psych expired and they need you to do it again ? They wanted me to get my pare first and then they said they will schedule the psych again.

I emailed them asking when psych expires and they told me after 2 years. I finished my psych last year and still have one more year left. I emailed them telling them starting that I still have one more year left but I never got a reply back yet.

Is this a mistake from recruitment ? Has anyone been asked to do this ?
I received the same email (about my psych expiring) before my 2 years were up. I emailed them back like you did and they got back to me saying they were mistaken. I urge everyone to keep tabs on when they completed stages, their results etc. because they do make mistakes and you dont want your application process pushed back even further!
Thanks for the response, I thought I was the only one ! So recruitment reached out to me and confirmed that I don't have to redo the psych evaluation. I did send another email to make sure they update my file, just so that the application process doesn't take any longer. I really do advice people to please pay pay attention because even recruitment can make mistakes. Imagine having to do an entire stage over again, when it wasn't even required ... :twitch:

I got my security clearance about 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping to get any intakes between January to March ! Good luck to the rest of you !
Good news! Congrats!
Hope you will get there soon!
CBSA
Applied: Summer 18
OTEE: October 18 pass
Interview: April 19 pass
RPAL : June 19 pass
Psy Eval: July 19 - pass
Psy Interview - Aug 19 pass
PARE: October 19 pass
Sec Clear - Jan 20 pass
SLE (writ/Read) Feb 20 pass

SLE (oral) tbd
Medical tbd

Boxto
Rookie Member

Postby Boxto » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:55 am

MKY wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:58 am
Jumb34t wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 am
MKY wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 am
Hello all!

I passed the interview! Visiting Rigaud for the interview was so inspiring. Wow! Good luck to all applicants.
7 months for an interview is quite the wait, eh? :D But I'm glad you made it to the next step. Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Indeed long wait, if all goes well, maybe late summer of 2020 Rigaud training. I guess ( not sure just guessing) there are 2 training waves during the year, one in January and one in August.
Excellent news!
Just keep in mind that the security clearance can take something between 4 to 12 months... :roll: :? received an email in september telling me it could be a long way! Patience is the key..!
CBSA
Applied: Summer 18
OTEE: October 18 pass
Interview: April 19 pass
RPAL : June 19 pass
Psy Eval: July 19 - pass
Psy Interview - Aug 19 pass
PARE: October 19 pass
Sec Clear - Jan 20 pass
SLE (writ/Read) Feb 20 pass

SLE (oral) tbd
Medical tbd