GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Surviss
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Surviss » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Drache wrote:Damn airlines! Ticket price was only supposed to be $250 plus taxes... I forgot about all the other hidden fees so it turned into $319 plus taxes instead! :cuss:

But anyways my interview is set, bought my plane ticket, and now I just wait. I'll get to spend 8-9 hours in YVR for a 1 hour interview! :mrgreen:

Drache, I'm doing the same, the old in-'n-out...
I'm on the 22nd, I'll leave some snacks and reading material hidden near the Jazz gate for you. Look for the secret symbols...

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Surviss wrote:
Drache wrote:Damn airlines! Ticket price was only supposed to be $250 plus taxes... I forgot about all the other hidden fees so it turned into $319 plus taxes instead! :cuss:

But anyways my interview is set, bought my plane ticket, and now I just wait. I'll get to spend 8-9 hours in YVR for a 1 hour interview! :mrgreen:

Drache, I'm doing the same, the old in-'n-out...
I'm on the 22nd, I'll leave some snacks and reading material hidden near the Jazz gate for you. Look for the secret symbols...

Where are you flying from?

Sadly I sold my laptop months ago and sold my bloody PSP just last week! :banghead:

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:39 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
Pacific_BSO wrote:Soooo pretty much the same thing as the Ask the CBSA thread?

Well at first blush.. yes it would seem rhetorical questions have made a successful migration.

And you see some of the redundant "im waiting , how bout you" posts that needed a new thread like this, as they arent asking CBSA anything useful.

I guess it's good to have another thread where people can ask questions and others can respond by saying, "Do some research" or "This has already been answered." It's a vicious cycle.
**CBSA Officer**

KerO96
Rookie Member

CBSA- Recruiting Questions

Postby KerO96 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:48 pm

formed by popular demand, ask all your CBSA recruiting/rigaud/how to prep for my interview questions here
Applied: March/08
BSOT Written: June/08
BSOT Passed: June/08
Interview: July/08
Interview Results: Successful
CPR/First aid: Obtained
PAL: Jan/09
Security Clearance: Application Pending
Psychological Evaluation: Pending
POERT: TBD

Pacific_BSO

Re: CBSA- Recruiting Questions

Postby Pacific_BSO » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Good thread. I am not in recruitment but I can answer any general questions. I went through the process within the last 3 years. Any questions regarding when people will go to POERT I cannot answer but what to expect without any spoilers throughout any stage in the process I can answer. I am also available through PM as well.
**CBSA Officer**

west_coast
Rookie Member

Postby west_coast » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for setting this up. I'm curious if anyone is going through the recruitment for the interior positions in BC and also for anyone who opted to wait for lower mainland positions to open up.

DREAMJOB
Rookie Member

Postby DREAMJOB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Well I found out i got 584 on the BSOT...I requested a rescore to see if I dont have to rewrite and they can find me one xtra point....

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm

The vast majority of all the questions that will be asked here have most likely already been answered in the 323 pages of "Ask the CBSA" or 15 pages of "Ask a CBSA Recruiter" thread in the Applicant section. The "General CBSA Applicant Chit Chat" was created so applicants could converse with each other without clogging up the other threads.

There are currently no active CBSA recruiters on this board, so your best bet is to talk with your own recruiter. Many officers here have recruited in the past, but the Agency has undergone many changes in the last 15 years (Revenue Canada Customs to Canada Customs & Revenue Agency in 1999 and to Canada Border Services Agency in 2003) so the only ones up to date are probably the ones who signed your correspondence.

You'll find officers are very intolerant of the same questions being posted over and over as many of us have been on this board for years. We don't mind helping you folks out, but remember, we're doing it for free on our own time! You'll most likely get referred to one of the other threads.

Good luck!
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

Surviss
Rookie Member

Postby Surviss » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 pm

DREAMJOB wrote:Well I found out i got 584 on the BSOT...I requested a rescore to see if I dont have to rewrite and they can find me one xtra point....

OUCH!
one...lousy...point... :twitch:

KerO96
Rookie Member

Postby KerO96 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:56 pm

well I would love to talk to my recruiter if she would answer her phone. I have sent countless emails and call 3 times a week at various times to which NO ONE answers. I understand current officers take the time to answer questions and for that im sure we all appreciate it, but I dont see the harm in in opening a recruitment thread seeing as how the majority of people are in the recruitment phase...
Applied: March/08
BSOT Written: June/08
BSOT Passed: June/08
Interview: July/08
Interview Results: Successful
CPR/First aid: Obtained
PAL: Jan/09
Security Clearance: Application Pending
Psychological Evaluation: Pending
POERT: TBD

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey man, fill your boots! I'm just saying that most of everything here has already been asked and answered on other threads. We don't want to hog too much space on a board predominantly geared towards Police if you know what I'm saying. We also don't want to have a bazillion threads that are somewhat redundant. It gets really annoying and is hard to keep track of.

I've been on this thing for 8 years now and posted less than 1000 times. I usually only post to answer questions and occasionally offer an opinion. I have a low post count since nearly every question has already been put out and answered in the past!
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:44 pm

"Lousy point"? What are you trying to say? He bombed the BSOT and feels there is some sort of onus that falls on the CBSA to re-score his Scantron and find an extra point so that he passes by the absolute minimum required? Give me a break - is 50% that much better than 49% (either way, you produced shit)? Notwithstanding whatever credentials this candidate presents to the organization, his score is an indicator that there exists better qualified recruits to choose from. "One Lousy point" my ass; I studied, applied myself in areas that I required work on, and consequently annihilated that test. I've been waiting far too long for a seat at Rigaud to compete with people that can barely pass an aptitude test, let alone acquire the aptiude necessary to search an open-source forum.
"One more thing..."

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:52 pm

BobB wrote:"Lousy point"? What are you trying to say? He bombed the BSOT and feels there is some sort of onus that falls on the CBSA to re-score his Scantron and find an extra point so that he passes by the absolute minimum required? Give me a break - is 50% that much better than 49% (either way, you produced shit)? Notwithstanding whatever credentials this candidate presents to the organization, his score is an indicator that there exists better qualified recruits to choose from. "One Lousy point" my ass; I studied, applied myself in areas that I required work on, and consequently annihilated that test. I've been waiting far too long for a seat at Rigaud to compete with people that can barely pass an aptitude test, let alone acquire the aptiude necessary to search an open-source forum.

Bob it's having a piss poor attitude like that that will get you tossed out of Rigaud. Let's say they do find him a point and he passes, do you think that a TEST is going to make you a better officer than him? I sense an over-confident cocky attitude thinking you're king shyt. The facilitators in Rigaud won't be gunnin for you I can tell you that.
**CBSA Officer**

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:02 pm

BobB wrote:"Lousy point"? What are you trying to say? He bombed the BSOT and feels there is some sort of onus that falls on the CBSA to re-score his Scantron and find an extra point so that he passes by the absolute minimum required? Give me a break - is 50% that much better than 49% (either way, you produced shit)? Notwithstanding whatever credentials this candidate presents to the organization, his score is an indicator that there exists better qualified recruits to choose from. "One Lousy point" my ass; I studied, applied myself in areas that I required work on, and consequently annihilated that test. I've been waiting far too long for a seat at Rigaud to compete with people that can barely pass an aptitude test, let alone acquire the aptiude necessary to search an open-source forum.

:stupid:
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

mtljoe82
Rookie Member

Postby mtljoe82 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:33 pm

Pacific_BSO wrote:

Bob it's having a piss poor attitude like that that will get you tossed out of Rigaud. Let's say they do find him a point and he passes, do you think that a TEST is going to make you a better officer than him? I sense an over-confident cocky attitude thinking you're king shyt. The facilitators in Rigaud won't be gunnin for you I can tell you that.

Well said, Very well said. Bob, why would you even consider writing something like that? Did it make you feel better about yourself? If you dont got anything good to say then just STFU. :pistols: Shame on you sir, shame on you.
Dec. 19th 2008- Applied to CSC
Jun. 3rd 2009- Values interview- PASSED
Jul. 1st 2009- Medical-PASSED
Sept. 29th 2009 Role play - PASSED
Jan. 25th 2010-Online training-PASSED
Mar. 29th 2010-CTP- PASSED
Jun. 7th 2010-OJT- PASSED
Sept. 20th 2010- HIRED!!!!