GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
LobsterCop
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby LobsterCop » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Stone. wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:01 pm

OT is x1.5, x1.75, and x2 depending on what schedule you work. You can also work every single day for as long as you want depending on the port. I knew an officer who worked every single day for a couple months to pay off his wedding in cash.

That's awesome! Stories like that keep me hyped for that finish line. Can I ask what determines where you land between the salary ranges? I know that might be more of an HR question ha ha. Also Stone, what's traffic like right now at the border? Non-existent?

PhiDelt
Rookie Member

Postby PhiDelt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 am

LobsterCop wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 pm
PhiDelt wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 am

Its not that bad up here in Beaver Creek , almost free housing ,plenty of OT, a 4 on 4 off schedule, and the landscape is beautiful . LDP's are not a bad option , I took one back in 2017 . Where else can you make $100,000 + with almost no rent. Gives you the freedom to travel, pay off debt, buy a new car, save up for a house, or what ever else you want to do , plus you get to work in your new career in a place you wouldn't have a chance to see . That's how you have to think about LDP's and remote postings. Its not the end of the world.
Sorry this is the third message you might have gotten from me Phi, and I will keep it brief.

Does the CBSA provide help with housing?

What does OT look like for you? Is it a requirement? Is it 1.5x rate of pay? how much can you cram into a week? I want all the money I can get lol
Yes at Beaver Creek, Plesant Camp and Fraser housing is provided as there is no market here to buy or rent on your own. You pay rent but then its subsidized by the NJC so it doesn't cost you anything. The house I am in is about 7 yrs old, 1900 sq feet, open concept , big kitchen, 3 bathrooms,3 bedrooms, big yard and a garage. Pleasant Camp has the newest housing, they are massive like 2200 sq feet and heated attached garages. Fraser I haven't been to but they are in need of new housing badly from what I have seen and heard, but it is in the works to get replaced.

OT is voluntary . It all depends if someone is sick, on vacation or going on a course. So its off and on. It gets offered to the officer with the lowest amount of OT that is available first then so on.
This paycheck on Wed I have 38 hours of OT on it plus premiums.

chmor
Rookie Member

Postby chmor » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am

Just got the word I passed my interview. Now for what you guys are all saying is the long wait for Medical and Psyc.
RPAL - Jan 12
Applied - Feb 20
OTEE - Mar 20
Interview - Aug 20(Passed)
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
PARE: TBD
Security: TBD
OITP:??
Rigaud: If lucky

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 am

chmor wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am
Just got the word I passed my interview. Now for what you guys are all saying is the long wait for Medical and Psyc.
Congrats !

The priority of CAF applicants I believe is high, so it may not be long till you get the Psych test invite.

Good luck ahead !

Emak

Postby Emak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi all haven't posted here in a while.Hope all doing well inspite of covid. I have been playing tons of tennis this summer. 🎾😀
For us that have been in the selection process for a while now and had to do the written test few months ago. I just got word from recruitment that I passed it.
Email ended with ''We look forward to including you in the final steps of this selection process.''
I also got my medical and pare extended by a year and 6 monrhs respectively.
Let's see if we get the invite this winter for spring 2021 (my guess only).
Take care all.
GTA
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Doc: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/18 ✔
MMPI: 01/18 + 02/20 ✔
Psych: 02/18 + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 + 10/19 (Ext 04/21)
SEC doc: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 + 09/19 (Ext 09/21)
SEC Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

Kobi1
Rookie Member

Postby Kobi1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Emak wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:40 pm
Hi all haven't posted here in a while.Hope all doing well inspite of covid. I have been playing tons of tennis this summer. 🎾😀
For us that have been in the selection process for a while now and had to do the written test few months ago. I just got word from recruitment that I passed it.
Email ended with ''We look forward to including you in the final steps of this selection process.''
Take care all.
Fingers crossed! Congrats! I've been told I'm OITP ready but Psych expires in November and they haven't sent me a date to re-do it.
Applied: June 17
OTEE: January 18 - PASS
Interview: October 18 - PASS
Psych Evaluation: November 18 - PASS
Security papers: Sent February 19
PARE: March 19- PASS
Medical Evaluation: April 19 - PASS
Security Clearance: September 19 - PASS
Med redo: Apr 20

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Kobi1 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm
Emak wrote:
Take care all.
Fingers crossed! Congrats! I've been told I'm OITP ready but Psych expires in November and they haven't sent me a date to re-do it.
I'm in the same situation. Hopefully I don't have to redo it :shock:
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

hsinom
Veteran Member

Postby hsinom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Kobi1 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm
Emak wrote:
Take care all.
Neither have I been rescheduled to do the pysch but I was sent a email I was intake ready. They did mention to me I'd have to redo both pysch and pare
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Doc sent- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020
Pare- April 2019/Oct 2020
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

rabbie2x
Rookie Member

Postby rabbie2x » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm

PhiDelt wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 am
Jumb34t wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:16 am
MBtoBC wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:21 pm

LDP are 3 year postings and they're 9/10 small 2 man ports. You won't ever get "stuck" at the location you sign up for but you do have to wait until a spot becomes available so the 3 years may potentially be longer.
Ahh, I misunderstood that bit as "the duration of your development stage as an FB2". Didn't realize that the LDP has an actual duration itself. That's good to know! :D
Its not that bad up here in Beaver Creek , almost free housing ,plenty of OT, a 4 on 4 off schedule, and the landscape is beautiful . LDP's are not a bad option , I took one back in 2017 . Where else can you make $100,000 + with almost no rent. Gives you the freedom to travel, pay off debt, buy a new car, save up for a house, or what ever else you want to do , plus you get to work in your new career in a place you wouldn't have a chance to see . That's how you have to think about LDP's and remote postings. Its not the end of the world.
I agree to a point. A LDP like this does sound pretty good, if you are single, but not so much when you have a family including 2 kids in elementary school. The chance that I'd have to relocate my family to somewhere like Beaver Creek is a little scary but I guess that's something you just have to be prepared for. I know what I'm signing up for but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm nervous about where I'll be posted.
Applied: Mar/18
OTEE: Sep/18
Interview: Dec/18
PARE: Dec/18
Psych: Apr/19
Security Docs: Apr/19
Medical: May/19
Sec. Interview: Oct/19
Sec. Clearance: Nov/19
PARE renewal: Mar/20
Online:?
Rigaud:?

True_north
Rookie Member

Postby True_north » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Just an update for me; Wrote the written portion of the psych evaluation in Calgary last week. FaceTime interview with the dr. is week of the 23rd :thumbsup:
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Jan 2019✔
OTEE: Apr 2019✔
FWILE Workshop: Nov 2019✔
Interview: Jan 2020✔
CFSC & CRFSC: Feb 2020✔
Psych Eval written (in-person): Sept 2020✔
Psych Eval interview (virtual): Sept 2020

MakingItTrue
Rookie Member

Postby MakingItTrue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:33 pm

True_north wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm
Just an update for me; Wrote the written portion of the psych evaluation in Calgary last week. FaceTime interview with the dr. is week of the 23rd :thumbsup:
Out of curiosity, was the written portion actually written in person, or was it an online test? Interested if they've altered that part as well due to covid.

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:59 pm

True_north wrote:
wow, thats a great news! They can do virtual interview with Dr.! I wonder is it the very first time they doing this!!

I wish for paper they can do it virtually too.... :mrgreen:

btw for Psych, any news for GTA applicants?
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:06 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:59 pm
True_north wrote:
wow, thats a great news! They can do virtual interview with Dr.! I wonder is it the very first time they doing this!!

I wish for paper they can do it virtually too.... :mrgreen:

btw for Psych, any news for GTA applicants?
kittycat1024 , calm down, for you it seems is one step per year, next one will be in 2021 ;) :D

veteran9750
Rookie Member

Postby veteran9750 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 am
chmor wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am
Congrats !

The priority of CAF applicants I believe is high, so it may not be long till you get the Psych test invite.

Good luck ahead !
I've been waiting 9 months since my interview and I'm a CAF veteran, so just saying.
Applied - Jan 2019
OTEE - March 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - June 2012
Interview - January 2020
Interview Results - January 2020 (passed)

chmor
Rookie Member

Postby chmor » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am

veteran9750 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am
I've been waiting 9 months since my interview and I'm a CAF veteran, so just saying.
Did you apply through the agencies CAF recruitment team or just one of the open processes that they posted on Jobs Canada?
Not to press on the wound that is waiting forever but I've gone from application to interview completed in 6 months. They didn't have an open public process when I applied but they have an internal team that does initial CAF applications. I deal with the national team now but up until I got my OTEE results, I was working with the CAF team.
RPAL - Jan 12
Applied - Feb 20
OTEE - Mar 20
Interview - Aug 20(Passed)
OITP:??
Rigaud: If lucky