GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Lospollos
Rookie Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Lospollos » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am
Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:31 am

Corrections were the same as CBSA for years, but last year in April they started paying 400$/week to their trainees. https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/003/001/00300 ... n.shtml#10

That and more predictability with the Mobility clause will make CBSA way more attractive to apply.

For me personally that's not an issue (the pay during training), but definitely matters for some applicants.
Wow, that's a pretty substantial increase. It's not an issue for myself either, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't appreciate it regardless. With receiving over 20,000 applicants per posting (I think that number is correct?), I just find it hard to believe they would need to make it any more attractive for applicants.
Quality over quantity, I say.
It's not surprising they get that many, with such low entry requirements and a salary range impossible to achieve for many with secondary degree elsewhere.

If I was making the decisions at HR, I would require applicants to do their OTEE first, then whoever passes to be required to do PARE, RPAL, Psych and Medical at their own expense before being invited to an Interview, then Security clearance stage covered by CBSA and then Rigaud with Mobility clause applied that takes under consideration Applicant preferences.

That will save so much time and $ for the agency and the # of the applicants that HR will directly process will be way lower.
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm
...
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
If you think in numbers, how many hundreds of Interviews CBSA does for people that fail their Psych exams ?
That's lots of $$$/hours wasted for the agency.
Having in mind the large % fails at Psych, I would say CBSA wastes a lot of time and $ on Interviewing people that never make it.

So therefore my suggestion to make applicants do their Psych and Medical themselves before Interview to be scheduled, as they have to do PARE and RPAL now. Not a big change, but that way the operational expenses CBSA will make in the process will be substantially lower.

Why would you not apply if all you had to do different was to pay yourself for your Psych and medical ?
Some Local Police forces ask applicants to pay their education themselves for over 10K. And they are still full of applicants.

Lospollos
Rookie Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Lospollos » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:49 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm
Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm
...
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
If you think in numbers, how many hundreds of Interviews CBSA does for people that fail their Psych exams ?
That's lots of $$$/hours wasted for the agency.
Having in mind the large % fails at Psych, I would say CBSA wastes a lot of time and $ on Interviewing people that never make it.

So therefore my suggestion to make applicants do their Psych and Medical themselves before Interview to be scheduled, as they have to do PARE and RPAL now. Not a big change, but that way the operational expenses CBSA will make in the process will be substantially lower.

Why would you not apply if all you had to do different was to pay yourself for your Psych and medical ?
Some Local Police forces ask applicants to pay their education themselves for over 10K. And they are still full of applicants.
Police applicants are getting paid. It is already financially straining on people you want them to front however much cash JUST to apply then possibly make it to rigaud WITH OUT pay for 5 months. It's the exact same reason I did not apply to any police force until it's free to do so. You are weeding out good candidates based on their socioeconomic status not their actual qualifications. Means Joe blow who has money may get in because he already has a good paying job?
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:56 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:49 pm
...
Police applicants are getting paid. It is already financially straining on people you want them to front however much cash JUST to apply then possibly make it to rigaud WITH OUT pay for 5 months. It's the exact same reason I did not apply to any police force until it's free to do so. You are weeding out good candidates based on their socioeconomic status not their actual qualifications. Means Joe blow who has money may get in because he already has a good paying job?
I can see your point, but money doesn't make one pass the Psych exam ... and how about this :

If you pass the Psych and the Interview, you get reimbursed the Psych and Medical exam expenses by CBSA ?

So successful candidates will occur no extra expense and CBSA will only interview the ones that pass Psych and medical, not wasting time and $ themselves too.

Sounds fair to me ;)

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby PrairieFire31 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am
I got this last week.
Anybody else get an email like this?
Looking forward to what’s next.

”As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Therefore kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences regarding this selection process.

Our next classes are set to begin in Summer, the dates have not yet been set.“
I received this same email verbatim back in November (they had only sent out the January invites at the time). The only difference was it had no mention of summer. Two months later I received an email asking me to recertify my PARE and then a month after that received an email asking to recertify my medical. Around and around we go! :)
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

Ulcaster555
Regular Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Ulcaster555 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:01 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:45 pm
A North wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm

...As I have tried to say here but nobody has seemed to get the message, my issue is that other Ottawa candidates are getting LOCAL interviews but others such as myself are being told to travel. If there are places local to you then you should be given that option, even if it extends the length of your process. It isn't fair and is another deterrent to applicants when they aren't consistent in their treatment of recruits from the same locales.
Consider emailing them back and ask again, pointing out the issue again and letting them know you were given the same location. They do make mistakes, this might be one of them. Likely just an error on their part or they may have a reason (example: no one in your area is doing interviews for next while, so they have to have it there or else you will be waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a date when they can book it in your city).
As far as i know initial interviews are all done in Rigaud for Quebec and Ottawa region, were talking about the interview for the competencies/ scenarios, it is because of the ressources and personnel, they need a place to sleep, classes/rooms etc.. your integrity interview will probably be done in Ottawa.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

cbmcmsa
Regular Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:00 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby cbmcmsa » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:01 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:45 pm
A North wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm

...As I have tried to say here but nobody has seemed to get the message, my issue is that other Ottawa candidates are getting LOCAL interviews but others such as myself are being told to travel. If there are places local to you then you should be given that option, even if it extends the length of your process. It isn't fair and is another deterrent to applicants when they aren't consistent in their treatment of recruits from the same locales.
Consider emailing them back and ask again, pointing out the issue again and letting them know you were given the same location. They do make mistakes, this might be one of them. Likely just an error on their part or they may have a reason (example: no one in your area is doing interviews for next while, so they have to have it there or else you will be waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a date when they can book it in your city).
As far as i know initial interviews are all done in Rigaud for Quebec and Ottawa region, were talking about the interview for the competencies/ scenarios, it is because of the ressources and personnel, they need a place to sleep, classes/rooms etc.. your integrity interview will probably be done in Ottawa.
With the initial interviews they book a full days worth. It's not one a day. Just to add to Ulcaster's post. Yes Rigaud is not in an Ontario Region, but being that it's so close and literally where they do their BSO training classes, it is also where they have a wealth of resources available for Interviews. The RCMP do their interviews out of Regina or Ottawa based on proximity and are done over the phone now so that they can have centralized interview locations. It's not a perfect situation, but it does alleviate some of the issues with travelling for an interview. That being said, like I've said, and several have said... If you aren't able/willing to make some sacrifices this job isn't for you.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

WSM109
Rookie Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby WSM109 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:49 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am
I got this last week.
Anybody else get an email like this?
Looking forward to what’s next.

”As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Therefore kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences regarding this selection process.

Our next classes are set to begin in Summer, the dates have not yet been set.“
I received this same email verbatim back in November (they had only sent out the January invites at the time). The only difference was it had no mention of summer. Two months later I received an email asking me to recertify my PARE and then a month after that received an email asking to recertify my medical. Around and around we go! :)
Did they say why you had to redo your PARE and medical even though they weren’t expired?
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby PrairieFire31 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:01 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:49 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am
I got this last week.
Anybody else get an email like this?
Looking forward to what’s next.

”As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Therefore kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences regarding this selection process.

Our next classes are set to begin in Summer, the dates have not yet been set.“
I received this same email verbatim back in November (they had only sent out the January invites at the time). The only difference was it had no mention of summer. Two months later I received an email asking me to recertify my PARE and then a month after that received an email asking to recertify my medical. Around and around we go! :)
Did they say why you had to redo your PARE and medical even though they weren’t expired?

Well, my PARE was expiring March 2020 and my medical was expiring June 2020. My assumption is so I never had any point where I wasn't certified. Just a guess though. Also, I'm still waiting for my medical to come back.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm
Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm
...
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
If you think in numbers, how many hundreds of Interviews CBSA does for people that fail their Psych exams ?
That's lots of $$$/hours wasted for the agency.
Having in mind the large % fails at Psych, I would say CBSA wastes a lot of time and $ on Interviewing people that never make it.

So therefore my suggestion to make applicants do their Psych and Medical themselves before Interview to be scheduled, as they have to do PARE and RPAL now. Not a big change, but that way the operational expenses CBSA will make in the process will be substantially lower.

Why would you not apply if all you had to do different was to pay yourself for your Psych and medical ?
Some Local Police forces ask applicants to pay their education themselves for over 10K. And they are still full of applicants.
My only complaint about requiring psych and medical at your own expense before an interview is that a large amount of Canadians don't have family doctors as is and the wait times are already deplorable for psychologists in many parts of Canada, not to mention the costs for sessions and the spots taken away from people who actually need to see psychologists. CATIII on your own if re-compensated upon job offer, sure but in my opinion CBSA would be better hiring their own psychologists for recruitment.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:41 pm

A North wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm
Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm
...
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
If you think in numbers, how many hundreds of Interviews CBSA does for people that fail their Psych exams ?
That's lots of $$$/hours wasted for the agency.
Having in mind the large % fails at Psych, I would say CBSA wastes a lot of time and $ on Interviewing people that never make it.

So therefore my suggestion to make applicants do their Psych and Medical themselves before Interview to be scheduled, as they have to do PARE and RPAL now. Not a big change, but that way the operational expenses CBSA will make in the process will be substantially lower.

Why would you not apply if all you had to do different was to pay yourself for your Psych and medical ?
Some Local Police forces ask applicants to pay their education themselves for over 10K. And they are still full of applicants.
My only complaint about requiring psych and medical at your own expense before an interview is that a large amount of Canadians don't have family doctors as is and the wait times are already deplorable for psychologists in many parts of Canada, not to mention the costs for sessions and the spots taken away from people who actually need to see psychologists. CATIII on your own if re-compensated upon job offer, sure but in my opinion CBSA would be better hiring their own psychologists for recruitment.
My idea was assuming only testing at CBSA approved practitioners (Medical and Psych) in Canada (same as they do for PARE now). Once you have successful OTEE, you can proceed with other tests on your own (same as PARE and RPAL now)

The ultimate goal is to save the CBSA's time and expense Interviewing people that will never make it to the end of the process. Freeing resources for other things, like increasing the pay during training, or making the selection process more efficient, or coordinating POE demands for new staff with applicant's preferences.

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:56 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:41 pm
A North wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm


If you think in numbers, how many hundreds of Interviews CBSA does for people that fail their Psych exams ?
That's lots of $$$/hours wasted for the agency.
Having in mind the large % fails at Psych, I would say CBSA wastes a lot of time and $ on Interviewing people that never make it.

So therefore my suggestion to make applicants do their Psych and Medical themselves before Interview to be scheduled, as they have to do PARE and RPAL now. Not a big change, but that way the operational expenses CBSA will make in the process will be substantially lower.

Why would you not apply if all you had to do different was to pay yourself for your Psych and medical ?
Some Local Police forces ask applicants to pay their education themselves for over 10K. And they are still full of applicants.
My only complaint about requiring psych and medical at your own expense before an interview is that a large amount of Canadians don't have family doctors as is and the wait times are already deplorable for psychologists in many parts of Canada, not to mention the costs for sessions and the spots taken away from people who actually need to see psychologists. CATIII on your own if re-compensated upon job offer, sure but in my opinion CBSA would be better hiring their own psychologists for recruitment.
My idea was assuming only testing at CBSA approved practitioners (Medical and Psych) in Canada (same as they do for PARE now). Once you have successful OTEE, you can proceed with other tests on your own (same as PARE and RPAL now)

The ultimate goal is to save the CBSA's time and expense Interviewing people that will never make it to the end of the process. Freeing resources for other things, like increasing the pay during training, or making the selection process more efficient, or coordinating POE demands for new staff with applicant's preferences.
That I would be in favour of then!
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

User avatar
Kevlar
Rookie Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 am
Location: PRA
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Kevlar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm

I received this same email verbatim back in November (they had only sent out the January invites at the time). The only difference was it had no mention of summer. Two months later I received an email asking me to recertify my PARE and then a month after that received an email asking to recertify my medical. Around and around we go! :)
Same here. Back in Nov. And again end of Feb. But here we are lol.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby PrairieFire31 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm

I received this same email verbatim back in November (they had only sent out the January invites at the time). The only difference was it had no mention of summer. Two months later I received an email asking me to recertify my PARE and then a month after that received an email asking to recertify my medical. Around and around we go! :)
Same here. Back in Nov. And again end of Feb. But here we are lol.
c'est la vie
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

User avatar
CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CaptainMarvel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:17 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:01 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:45 pm
A North wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm

...As I have tried to say here but nobody has seemed to get the message, my issue is that other Ottawa candidates are getting LOCAL interviews but others such as myself are being told to travel. If there are places local to you then you should be given that option, even if it extends the length of your process. It isn't fair and is another deterrent to applicants when they aren't consistent in their treatment of recruits from the same locales.
Consider emailing them back and ask again, pointing out the issue again and letting them know you were given the same location. They do make mistakes, this might be one of them. Likely just an error on their part or they may have a reason (example: no one in your area is doing interviews for next while, so they have to have it there or else you will be waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a date when they can book it in your city).
As far as i know initial interviews are all done in Rigaud for Quebec and Ottawa region, were talking about the interview for the competencies/ scenarios, it is because of the ressources and personnel, they need a place to sleep, classes/rooms etc.. your integrity interview will probably be done in Ottawa.

Makes sense, thanks for the input!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, applicant2020, Google [Bot], HaroldW, LokiMuskoki, Wanderlust and 20 guests