GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:33 am

Eastcoast_recruit wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 am
Yes I was in the process for 5 years. I applied in 2014 and wrote the 2 tests in 2015. And then it was a very long waiting game. I completed all the steps and the only thing I had to do for a second time was the medical. I waited to do the PARE last because I figured after a while it was going to be a very long process. I applied from NL.
CBSA really should correct their official page, where they say :

============
Becoming a border services officer can take up to three years, from start to finish.

1 year - Once your application is pulled from our inventory, the selection process can take up to one year.

5.5 months - The training phase is made up of four weeks of online training followed by 4.5 months of in-residence training at our college in Rigaud, Quebec.

1 to 1.5 years - The on-the-job development phase is 1 to 1.5 years long.
============

for most takes over 1 year to finish the selection process and for most it takes over 3 years to become a full BSO, really misleading for applicants

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Has anyone that has completed the CATIII Medical received a call from Health Canada afterwards? The previous two times I completed it I wasn't contacted but I renewed it for a third time a couple of weeks ago and I received a call today to review some of my answers. I'm wondering if this is standard procedure as I didn't have any new or missing information compared to prior examinations.
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Has anyone that has completed the CATIII Medical received a call from Health Canada afterwards? The previous two times I completed it I wasn't contacted but I renewed it for a third time a couple of weeks ago and I received a call today to review some of my answers. I'm wondering if this is standard procedure as I didn't have any new or missing information compared to prior examinations.
One of nurses called me back regarding my immunization record but that was at my request when I met in person but nothing other than this. Also I ended up calling the local occupational health and safety Human Resources team who is responsible for scheduling cat III and asked I can just do the redo my expired exam with my family doctor since they don't have a date available with health Canada and I was surprised they said yes but it's my responsibility to pay upfront and get reimbursed for the forms. Here is to hopefully a invite this year
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Zepedder wrote:
One of nurses called me back regarding my immunization record but that was at my request when I met in person but nothing other than this. Also I ended up calling the local occupational health and safety Human Resources team who is responsible for scheduling cat III and asked I can just do the redo my expired exam with my family doctor since they don't have a date available with health Canada and I was surprised they said yes but it's my responsibility to pay upfront and get reimbursed for the forms. Here is to hopefully a invite this year
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Pare- April 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:50 pm

hsinom wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm
Zepedder wrote:
I appreciate the response! I just found it odd because they were the same answers I provided last May when I did the medical and I wasn't contacted. I won't worry about it then, I'm just hoping my results are received in time for the next intake but I'll just have to wait and see. Best of luck to you and hoping you get an invite as well!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

A North

Postby A North » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:48 pm

As I have posted here earlier, a week ago I got an invite to a CBSA interview in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa). Per advice given here, I told them that I have no way of getting there and can't afford the costs for renting a car and getting a hotel, not to mention it conflicting with university, and requested an interview in Ottawa. They agreed and said they would reschedule me an interview in "Ottawa region", that interview date was given today and guess what? It's in Rigaud again. In case they haven't noticed, Rigaud is definitely not "Ottawa region". What's my best course of action now? Why aren't they giving me an Ottawa interview when other Ottawa applicants are getting them? Is recruitment always this much of a joke?
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:54 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:48 pm
As I have posted here earlier, a week ago I got an invite to a CBSA interview in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa). Per advice given here, I told them that I have no way of getting there and can't afford the costs for renting a car and getting a hotel, not to mention it conflicting with university, and requested an interview in Ottawa. They agreed and said they would reschedule me an interview in "Ottawa region", that interview date was given today and guess what? It's in Rigaud again. In case they haven't noticed, Rigaud is definitely not "Ottawa region". What's my best course of action now? Why aren't they giving me an Ottawa interview when other Ottawa applicants are getting them? Is recruitment always this much of a joke?
If this is the career you really want, you have to make some sacrifices. Ask a friend to borrow their car, or to do a small roadie with you, or rent a car as has been suggested. My point is that say no too many times and someone else will take that time slot.

If you're serious about getting the job, you'll do what lots of people do and make it work. BTW Rigaud is a 1 and a half hour drive from Ottawa.... That's not a huge distance by any means. I believe in you!
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

A North

Postby A North » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:54 pm
A North wrote:
If this is the career you really want, you have to make some sacrifices. Ask a friend to borrow their car, or to do a small roadie with you, or rent a car as has been suggested. My point is that say no too many times and someone else will take that time slot.

If you're serious about getting the job, you'll do what lots of people do and make it work. BTW Rigaud is a 1 and a half hour drive from Ottawa.... That's not a huge distance by any means. I believe in you!
For a guy with no real friends and no disposable income, that'll be a big challenge. I guess it's another nail in the coffin then as I can't seem to find any other options. 🤷🏻‍♂️
CBSA

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:32 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 pm
For a guy with no real friends and no disposable income, that'll be a big challenge. I guess it's another nail in the coffin then as I can't seem to find any other options. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This process requires lots of expenses upfront, days lost away from work, school, then it's the 4.5 months at Rigaud with skinny allowance, then imagine if you have to relocate, CBSA doesn't pay for it upfront, you need to have the thousands of $ ready to use, then claim.

What I say is - if you can't handle a little expense now, maybe not the right time to apply for this, as there's more expenses coming in this process with zero guarantees for success.

Good luck !

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:50 pm
hsinom wrote:
Zepedder wrote:
I appreciate the response! I just found it odd because they were the same answers I provided last May when I did the medical and I wasn't contacted. I won't worry about it then, I'm just hoping my results are received in time for the next intake but I'll just have to wait and see. Best of luck to you and hoping you get an invite as well!

Thanks, you too ! I called health canada directly to see if they received my health assement report. They told me they got it and submitted it to HR and should be with the recruiter already since it was approved. I immedeatly emailed recruitment telling them my CAT III redo was completed and asked if a summer intake invite would be sent to me . Here is waiting for good news.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Pare- April 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm

A North wrote:
Is recruitment always this much of a joke?
If this is really a career you want to pursue, I'd be mindful of what you're saying on a public forum. That being said, and as other users have replied saying, much of this process will be done on your own dime. I had to travel two hours for my interview. Same for my integrity interview. I work full time and have a household to provide for, but I made it work. If you really want this job, you'll do the same. Best of luck in the process and hopefully you get your interview figured out!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:58 pm

hsinom wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:44 pm
Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:50 pm
hsinom wrote:

Thanks, you too ! I called health canada directly to see if they received my health assement report. They told me they got it and submitted it to HR and should be with the recruiter already since it was approved. I immedeatly emailed recruitment telling them my CAT III redo was completed and asked if a summer intake invite would be sent to me . Here is waiting for good news.
Oh that's a good idea! I emailed recruitment yesterday asking to confirm that my results were received. If I don't receive a reply then I'll definitely call Health Canada back and see if they can confirm. Fingers crossed for a summer intake for us both!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

A North

Postby A North » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm
A North wrote:
If this is really a career you want to pursue, I'd be mindful of what you're saying on a public forum. That being said, and as other users have replied saying, much of this process will be done on your own dime. I had to travel two hours for my interview. Same for my integrity interview. I work full time and have a household to provide for, but I made it work. If you really want this job, you'll do the same. Best of luck in the process and hopefully you get your interview figured out!
I get that but that being said I still don't understand how the NATIONAL CAPITAL apparently doesn't do interviews, when other users from Ottawa on here have been able to have interviews locally. It's not fair to ask candidates from the same city to go to different places for the interview, in my opinion.
CBSA

Eastcoast_recruit
Rookie Member

Postby Eastcoast_recruit » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:38 pm

I can understand that you are frustrated by the fact you can’t get an interview in Ottawa. Rigaud isn’t that far away. You will need to figure something out if you really want the interview. Nothing in the process will be handed to you. The whole process, including OITP in Rigaud, is a test to see how you handle things like stress. The CBSA is looking for candidates that take initiative and can work through stress and problem solve. Good luck to you.
BSO

N_McKenna

Postby N_McKenna » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:29 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 pm
Zepedder wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm
A North wrote:
I get that but that being said I still don't understand how the NATIONAL CAPITAL apparently doesn't do interviews, when other users from Ottawa on here have been able to have interviews locally. It's not fair to ask candidates from the same city to go to different places for the interview, in my opinion.
I rented a car and drove to Hamilton from Ottawa and got a hotel room for an interview with Ontario corrections 6 years ago because that’s where interviews were being held- I didn’t get the gig.

More recently, I took the ferry from Vancouver Island to surrey (after coming off a block of nights from my CO gig) and put myself up in a hotel to do the polygraph test because that was the only time I could get without burning through vacation. I knew multiple other people that did their poly test in both Victoria and Nanaimo but they could only accommodate Surrey for me. Sacrifices are a part of the game if you sincerely want the job.