GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
kittycat1024

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:22 pm

About the housing issue, perhaps CBSA could consider providing some dormitory or hostels close to the POE for staffs who need to work far away from home. :ponder:
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm

see here some of the issues the current BSOs are dealing with, like the fact that is very hard to get a transfer, which may eventually also benefit us, the new recruits, if CBSA decides to improve the POE assignment process to match prefered regions.
That way they will not increase the scope of the issue they already have on hand with the existing BSOs :

http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-no-tr ... am-rejects
January 23, 2020
"
The FB bargaining team continued their push to make Canada Border Services Agency a better place to work during talks with Treasury Board/CBSA the week of January 20, but the employer still refuses to budge on any meaningful improvements.

Our team highlighted issues around:

Seniority and work location: There are significant problems with the way management assigns officers to new locations. Across Canada, there are officers who are looking to work in different parts of the country. But right now, management passes over senior officers for these assignments and even places new hires in locations where union members are looking to work. We are seeking a fair and transparent process where officers can exercise their seniority if they wish to change districts or regions.

"

And something here that will definitely will be very beneficial for us, new recruits :

http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-union ... tions-work

"Appropriate pay for recruits and new officers

Immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud."

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm
see here some of the issues the current BSOs are dealing with, like the fact that is very hard to get a transfer, which may eventually also benefit us, the new recruits, if CBSA decides to improve the POE assignment process to match prefered regions.
That way they will not increase the scope of the issue they already have on hand with the existing BSOs :

January 23, 2020
"
The FB bargaining team continued their push to make Canada Border Services Agency a better place to work during talks with Treasury Board/CBSA the week of January 20, but the employer still refuses to budge on any meaningful improvements.

Seniority and work location: There are significant problems with the way management assigns officers to new locations. Across Canada, there are officers who are looking to work in different parts of the country. But right now, management passes over senior officers for these assignments and even places new hires in locations where union members are looking to work. We are seeking a fair and transparent process where officers can exercise their seniority if they wish to change districts or regions.

"

And something here that will definitely will be very beneficial for us, new recruits :

I for one would personally LOVE to see an immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud. But I can see the agency’s need for having a long probation period in order to weed out new officers who don’t fit the mould. Higher pay during training would also be a bonus!
Last edited by BoltUp on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:07 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm
... Imagine how it would work if everyone just quit when they didn't get Pearson.
I believe most applicants will agree with me that assigning the POE at invite time will be a huge improvement of the current random process.
This is how they did it years ago.
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:58 am

BoltUp wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 am
IronWolf wrote:

January 23, 2020
"

"

I for one would personally LOVE to see an immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud. But I can see the agency’s need for having a long probation period in order to weed out new officers who don’t fit the mould. Higher pay during trading would also be a bonus!
Transitioning to all FB3s after graduating Rigaud doesn’t mean you have to get rid of probation. Probation is a joke anyway and apparently it’s getting easier.

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:06 pm

May have been missed, but a few pages ago I do recall posting something about how I was advised that they are returning to the POE at invite time model for future intakes, including some of the later ones currently in process at the moment. So it's in progress, being looked at, they are working on it, etc.

Aside from that, there's still many other reasons people want to apply to CBSA. Not sure what the beef is here. You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. Also not sure what reality some people are living in where they think it is easy to pick up a better, higher paying job: it is really tough out there, even with degrees, experience, references. Even if you are already working in government. The opportunities are limited, and competition is cutthroat. Even if you do live in a major city versus a small town. Doesn't matter, it's bad all over. Not saying the agency is perfect, but hot damn, it has it's upsides for sure.

Male or female, some of us are the breadwinners, and we need security along with that bread, and maybe that means making tough decisions and working away from home, away from spouses and children. Maybe this is the best career option they have, and they are willing to work for it. You do what you gotta do.

Besides, union negotiations for better conditions/deals is all part of the wonderful world of government. Expect it to be ongoing throughout your career, and expect it to take YEARS. Better to come to terms with these unpleasant truths now to save yourself time. If you can't stand it now...

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:06 pm
...You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. ...
I am more like : "If something can be improved, give the management feedback about it, for the benefit of the company and the employees"

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:43 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
...You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. ...
I am more like : "If something can be improved, give the management feedback about it, for the benefit of the company and the employees"
Yes, and more qualified people in better positions to do so, seem to already be doing so.

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:09 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
I agree , but ultimately this is not a company but a government body. A bureaucratic issue at best which will take years to solve rather than a business model.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:41 pm

JDube wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm
What is everyone's delay between the integrity interview and final security clearance decision?

I have seen a few person's timeline where it's within the same month and others seem to have taken months?

I just had an interesting position offer but since it's 3 year commitment, I don't want to bail after a few months.

My main focus is on CBSA but I like having options just in case...
If you haven't heard anything after about a month after the integrity interview maybe you should contact H.R

However, if you had a crazy life and a ''At risk candidate'' you can expect delays.
Nowadays security clearances are approved in less than a month, but its H.R who contacts you to tell you, not the security department.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:06 am

BoltUp wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 am
IronWolf wrote:

January 23, 2020
"

"

I for one would personally LOVE to see an immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud. But I can see the agency’s need for having a long probation period in order to weed out new officers who don’t fit the mould. Higher pay during training would also be a bonus!
Just make the transition to FB3 after Rigaud AND keep the probation period. Getting paid less to do the same amount of work just because you're on probation is a head scratcher for sure

mendoza68
Rookie Member

Postby mendoza68 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 am

At which point of the OITP process did you guys get your official invite to Rigaud? During or after online?
Applied- Oct 2017
Interview- April 2018
Security Sent- June 2018
Psych - May 2018
Medical - June 2018/July 2019
Pare- February 2018/June 2019
Security Interview - February 2019
Security Clearance- March 2019
OITP- 15D February 2020
Rigaud ???

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 am

mendoza68 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 am
At which point of the OITP process did you guys get your official invite to Rigaud? During or after online?
You need an invite to Rigaud to do the online training.

mendoza68
Rookie Member

Postby mendoza68 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 am

Stone. wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 am
mendoza68 wrote:
I'm doing online now and in the invite to online it said this is not an official invitation to the academy.
Applied- Oct 2017
Interview- April 2018
Security Sent- June 2018
Psych - May 2018
Medical - June 2018/July 2019
Pare- February 2018/June 2019
Security Interview - February 2019
Security Clearance- March 2019
OITP- 15D February 2020
Rigaud ???

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:16 am

mendoza68 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 am
Stone. wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 am
mendoza68 wrote:
I'm doing online now and in the invite to online it said this is not an official invitation to the academy.
Because going to Rigaud is conditional on your successful completion of the online component.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)