GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:20 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm
Stone. wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 pm


You have two weeks from graduation to starting at your port. Everything must be done by you and you may be reimbursed up to $5000.
That would explain the 30% unhappy BSOs :)

Just imagine a person that has to leave her settled home and family to go to some remote location POE, then to spend half of her salary on rent and expenses, and the other half - at her main home where the spouse and kids are settled for work/school ...

With that policy CBSA pretty much invites only single people with not much settled in their life and no much education (good paying job options locally) to apply, as I don't see many settled people to be ready to waste their salary on a remote location "experience" as BSO until the time for transfer eventually comes.

I wonder what % leave Rigaud the moment they get a POE they don't like to be at ?

Best for CBSA will be to announce the POE at invite time. To save the time and $ to both sides and to assure everyone goes to a POE they are happy with from the start.

Although it may not be ideal to have to move across the country, no one is forcing you to apply for this career. The guidelines and expectations of the BSO position are pretty clearly laid out. Once you sign the document agreeing to relocate anywhere in Canada, in no way should there be any surprise when you have to move across Canada.

I also think it’s a little ridiculous to say you waste your salary to relocate. First of all, it’s an investment in your career in order to make a living. On top of that, how much do you expect the government to pay for someone who has never worked 1 minute for them? They’re already sinking thousands of dollars into recruitment and training. To complain about them only covering up to $5000 of a move seems ignorant to me. I could be way off on this but I just don’t feel like CBSA owes too much to applicant who have never worked a second for the agency.

There’s quite a few different branches of Law Enforcement that hire locally. None of these complaints would matter if one were to apply for them.
I agree with most of your points in general. What I wrote was a quick brief about the downside of relocation, that definitely affects some categories of people that apply to work for CBSA.

I tend to believe that by making people relocate randomly in the initial POE assignment process from the past, CBSA is losing on a whole category of potentially quality applicants and on engagement of around 30% of their workforce (as their own audit shows).

Some for sure will not mind relocating, I assume they will be mostly people with not much roots where they are now. Others will go in this process with the hope they are lucky and get posting close to their settled home region.

I doubt that the willingness to relocate anywhere on random is the quality that makes the perfect BSO ;)

Have in mind that the own CBSA audit states : " the intent of OIM is to permanently place officers at POEs that had identified a need for additional frontline resources "

At the 2019 posting CBSA gave applicants choice to select preferred work locations from all possible CBSA regions, that makes me believe CBSA is actually intending to do their best to match the applicant with the POE in need of a BSO.

Isn't it just natural to put people that prefer to be at that location/region from the start ?

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby PrairieFire31 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:20 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm


That would explain the 30% unhappy BSOs :)

Just imagine a person that has to leave her settled home and family to go to some remote location POE, then to spend half of her salary on rent and expenses, and the other half - at her main home where the spouse and kids are settled for work/school ...

With that policy CBSA pretty much invites only single people with not much settled in their life and no much education (good paying job options locally) to apply, as I don't see many settled people to be ready to waste their salary on a remote location "experience" as BSO until the time for transfer eventually comes.

I wonder what % leave Rigaud the moment they get a POE they don't like to be at ?

Best for CBSA will be to announce the POE at invite time. To save the time and $ to both sides and to assure everyone goes to a POE they are happy with from the start.

Although it may not be ideal to have to move across the country, no one is forcing you to apply for this career. The guidelines and expectations of the BSO position are pretty clearly laid out. Once you sign the document agreeing to relocate anywhere in Canada, in no way should there be any surprise when you have to move across Canada.

I also think it’s a little ridiculous to say you waste your salary to relocate. First of all, it’s an investment in your career in order to make a living. On top of that, how much do you expect the government to pay for someone who has never worked 1 minute for them? They’re already sinking thousands of dollars into recruitment and training. To complain about them only covering up to $5000 of a move seems ignorant to me. I could be way off on this but I just don’t feel like CBSA owes too much to applicant who have never worked a second for the agency.

There’s quite a few different branches of Law Enforcement that hire locally. None of these complaints would matter if one were to apply for them.
I agree with most of your points in general. What I wrote was a quick brief about the downside of relocation, that definitely affects some categories of people that apply to work for CBSA.

I tend to believe that by making people relocate randomly in the initial POE assignment process from the past, CBSA is losing on a whole category of potentially quality applicants and on engagement of around 30% of their workforce (as their own audit shows).

Some for sure will not mind relocating, I assume they will be mostly people with not much roots where they are now. Others will go in this process with the hope they are lucky and get posting close to their settled home region.

I doubt that the willingness to relocate anywhere on random is the quality that makes the perfect BSO ;)

Have in mind that the own CBSA audit states : " the intent of OIM is to permanently place officers at POEs that had identified a need for additional frontline resources "

At the 2019 posting CBSA gave applicants choice to select preferred work locations from all possible CBSA regions, that makes me believe CBSA is actually intending to do their best to match the applicant with the POE in need of a BSO.

Isn't it just natural to put people that prefer to be at that location/region from the start ?
I understand what you're saying but I don't think you're taking into consideration that CBSA is a federal agency who requires staff at all ports. If they just staffed all the ports closest to where people were applying from, there would be an even bigger shortage at rural ports. This is probably why they are looking for new recruits who are willing to move anywhere in Canada. Imagine how it would work if everyone just quit when they didn't get Pearson.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:07 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm
... Imagine how it would work if everyone just quit when they didn't get Pearson.
I believe most applicants will agree with me that assigning the POE at invite time will be a huge improvement of the current random process.

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:09 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:07 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm
... Imagine how it would work if everyone just quit when they didn't get Pearson.
I believe most applicants will agree with me that assigning the POE at invite time will be a huge improvement of the current random process.
I would agree and assign PoEs within the same province at least, that way rural won't be short staffed but it will still be more compatible for most applicants.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

WSM109
Rookie Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby WSM109 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:20 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36 pm



Although it may not be ideal to have to move across the country, no one is forcing you to apply for this career. The guidelines and expectations of the BSO position are pretty clearly laid out. Once you sign the document agreeing to relocate anywhere in Canada, in no way should there be any surprise when you have to move across Canada.

I also think it’s a little ridiculous to say you waste your salary to relocate. First of all, it’s an investment in your career in order to make a living. On top of that, how much do you expect the government to pay for someone who has never worked 1 minute for them? They’re already sinking thousands of dollars into recruitment and training. To complain about them only covering up to $5000 of a move seems ignorant to me. I could be way off on this but I just don’t feel like CBSA owes too much to applicant who have never worked a second for the agency.

There’s quite a few different branches of Law Enforcement that hire locally. None of these complaints would matter if one were to apply for them.
I agree with most of your points in general. What I wrote was a quick brief about the downside of relocation, that definitely affects some categories of people that apply to work for CBSA.

I tend to believe that by making people relocate randomly in the initial POE assignment process from the past, CBSA is losing on a whole category of potentially quality applicants and on engagement of around 30% of their workforce (as their own audit shows).

Some for sure will not mind relocating, I assume they will be mostly people with not much roots where they are now. Others will go in this process with the hope they are lucky and get posting close to their settled home region.

I doubt that the willingness to relocate anywhere on random is the quality that makes the perfect BSO ;)

Have in mind that the own CBSA audit states : " the intent of OIM is to permanently place officers at POEs that had identified a need for additional frontline resources "

At the 2019 posting CBSA gave applicants choice to select preferred work locations from all possible CBSA regions, that makes me believe CBSA is actually intending to do their best to match the applicant with the POE in need of a BSO.

Isn't it just natural to put people that prefer to be at that location/region from the start ?
I understand what you're saying but I don't think you're taking into consideration that CBSA is a federal agency who requires staff at all ports. If they just staffed all the ports closest to where people were applying from, there would be an even bigger shortage at rural ports. This is probably why they are looking for new recruits who are willing to move anywhere in Canada. Imagine how it would work if everyone just quit when they didn't get Pearson.
Exactly - it is a federal agency and it should pay for %100 of your cost of moving like the RCMP and The Department of National Defence. It’s not the CBSA fault what they pay, it’s what they have to work with due to budget constraints.
I’ll move to Yellowknife if they pay the bill.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

User avatar
kittycat1024
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:22 pm

About the housing issue, perhaps CBSA could consider providing some dormitory or hostels close to the POE for staffs who need to work far away from home. :ponder:
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm

see here some of the issues the current BSOs are dealing with, like the fact that is very hard to get a transfer, which may eventually also benefit us, the new recruits, if CBSA decides to improve the POE assignment process to match prefered regions.
That way they will not increase the scope of the issue they already have on hand with the existing BSOs :


http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-no-tr ... am-rejects
January 23, 2020
"
The FB bargaining team continued their push to make Canada Border Services Agency a better place to work during talks with Treasury Board/CBSA the week of January 20, but the employer still refuses to budge on any meaningful improvements.

Our team highlighted issues around:

...

Seniority and work location: There are significant problems with the way management assigns officers to new locations. Across Canada, there are officers who are looking to work in different parts of the country. But right now, management passes over senior officers for these assignments and even places new hires in locations where union members are looking to work. We are seeking a fair and transparent process where officers can exercise their seniority if they wish to change districts or regions.

.....
"

And something here that will definitely will be very beneficial for us, new recruits :

http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-union ... tions-work

"Appropriate pay for recruits and new officers

Immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud."

User avatar
BoltUp
Regular Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby BoltUp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm
see here some of the issues the current BSOs are dealing with, like the fact that is very hard to get a transfer, which may eventually also benefit us, the new recruits, if CBSA decides to improve the POE assignment process to match prefered regions.
That way they will not increase the scope of the issue they already have on hand with the existing BSOs :


http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-no-tr ... am-rejects
January 23, 2020
"
The FB bargaining team continued their push to make Canada Border Services Agency a better place to work during talks with Treasury Board/CBSA the week of January 20, but the employer still refuses to budge on any meaningful improvements.

Our team highlighted issues around:

...

Seniority and work location: There are significant problems with the way management assigns officers to new locations. Across Canada, there are officers who are looking to work in different parts of the country. But right now, management passes over senior officers for these assignments and even places new hires in locations where union members are looking to work. We are seeking a fair and transparent process where officers can exercise their seniority if they wish to change districts or regions.

.....
"

And something here that will definitely will be very beneficial for us, new recruits :

http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-union ... tions-work

"Appropriate pay for recruits and new officers

Immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud."
I for one would personally LOVE to see an immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud. But I can see the agency’s need for having a long probation period in order to weed out new officers who don’t fit the mould. Higher pay during training would also be a bonus!
Last edited by BoltUp on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

User avatar
BoltUp
Regular Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby BoltUp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:07 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm
... Imagine how it would work if everyone just quit when they didn't get Pearson.
I believe most applicants will agree with me that assigning the POE at invite time will be a huge improvement of the current random process.
This is how they did it years ago.
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

Stone.
Rookie Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Stone. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:58 am

BoltUp wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 am
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm
see here some of the issues the current BSOs are dealing with, like the fact that is very hard to get a transfer, which may eventually also benefit us, the new recruits, if CBSA decides to improve the POE assignment process to match prefered regions.
That way they will not increase the scope of the issue they already have on hand with the existing BSOs :


http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-no-tr ... am-rejects
January 23, 2020
"
The FB bargaining team continued their push to make Canada Border Services Agency a better place to work during talks with Treasury Board/CBSA the week of January 20, but the employer still refuses to budge on any meaningful improvements.

Our team highlighted issues around:

...

Seniority and work location: There are significant problems with the way management assigns officers to new locations. Across Canada, there are officers who are looking to work in different parts of the country. But right now, management passes over senior officers for these assignments and even places new hires in locations where union members are looking to work. We are seeking a fair and transparent process where officers can exercise their seniority if they wish to change districts or regions.

.....
"

And something here that will definitely will be very beneficial for us, new recruits :

http://psacunion.ca/fb-bargaining-union ... tions-work

"Appropriate pay for recruits and new officers

Immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud."
I for one would personally LOVE to see an immediate transition to the FB-3 pay rate upon graduation from Rigaud. But I can see the agency’s need for having a long probation period in order to weed out new officers who don’t fit the mould. Higher pay during trading would also be a bonus!
Transitioning to all FB3s after graduating Rigaud doesn’t mean you have to get rid of probation. Probation is a joke anyway and apparently it’s getting easier.

User avatar
CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CaptainMarvel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:06 pm

May have been missed, but a few pages ago I do recall posting something about how I was advised that they are returning to the POE at invite time model for future intakes, including some of the later ones currently in process at the moment. So it's in progress, being looked at, they are working on it, etc.

Aside from that, there's still many other reasons people want to apply to CBSA. Not sure what the beef is here. You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. Also not sure what reality some people are living in where they think it is easy to pick up a better, higher paying job: it is really tough out there, even with degrees, experience, references. Even if you are already working in government. The opportunities are limited, and competition is cutthroat. Even if you do live in a major city versus a small town. Doesn't matter, it's bad all over. Not saying the agency is perfect, but hot damn, it has it's upsides for sure.

Male or female, some of us are the breadwinners, and we need security along with that bread, and maybe that means making tough decisions and working away from home, away from spouses and children. Maybe this is the best career option they have, and they are willing to work for it. You do what you gotta do.

Besides, union negotiations for better conditions/deals is all part of the wonderful world of government. Expect it to be ongoing throughout your career, and expect it to take YEARS. Better to come to terms with these unpleasant truths now to save yourself time. If you can't stand it now...

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:06 pm
...You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. ...
I am more like : "If something can be improved, give the management feedback about it, for the benefit of the company and the employees"

User avatar
CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CaptainMarvel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:43 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:06 pm
...You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. ...
I am more like : "If something can be improved, give the management feedback about it, for the benefit of the company and the employees"
Yes, and more qualified people in better positions to do so, seem to already be doing so.

hsinom
Regular Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:09 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:06 pm
...You don't like it, step aside. Thousands of others waiting to take your place. ...
I am more like : "If something can be improved, give the management feedback about it, for the benefit of the company and the employees"
I agree , but ultimately this is not a company but a government body. A bureaucratic issue at best which will take years to solve rather than a business model.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Ulcaster555
Regular Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:41 pm

JDube wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm
What is everyone's delay between the integrity interview and final security clearance decision?

I have seen a few person's timeline where it's within the same month and others seem to have taken months?

I just had an interesting position offer but since it's 3 year commitment, I don't want to bail after a few months.

My main focus is on CBSA but I like having options just in case...
If you haven't heard anything after about a month after the integrity interview maybe you should contact H.R

However, if you had a crazy life and a ''At risk candidate'' you can expect delays.
Nowadays security clearances are approved in less than a month, but its H.R who contacts you to tell you, not the security department.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], sd333, TangoCharlie000, whatamiseeing and 9 guests