GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JDube
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JDube » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm

What is everyone's delay between the integrity interview and final security clearance decision?

I have seen a few person's timeline where it's within the same month and others seem to have taken months?

I just had an interesting position offer but since it's 3 year commitment, I don't want to bail after a few months.

My main focus is on CBSA but I like having options just in case...
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:55 pm

JDube wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm
What is everyone's delay between the integrity interview and final security clearance decision?

I have seen a few person's timeline where it's within the same month and others seem to have taken months?

I just had an interesting position offer but since it's 3 year commitment, I don't want to bail after a few months.

Refer to my timeline. It varies , I'd suggest taking the position because I've been waiting 2.5 years and still nothing.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:20 pm

JDube wrote:

I was told (and it’s also posted on other pages in this forum) that it can depend on where you live and where you are applying from.
I am in Halifax. My application steps are completed in 12.5 months. I really didn’t have any big lapses in time between physch and security evaluations.
If you’re applying from Vancouver or Toronto, timelines might be a bit longer.

I am also former military so that does help in some way, not sure of it helps in the quickness of the process or if it means I might get invited earlier than others to attend Rigaud.

It never hurts to email CBSA recruitment to ask about your application process too.

Best of luck .
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:22 pm

JDube wrote:
2 days for me.

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm

JDube wrote:

About one week for me. You can ask the analyst when you are doing your interview. Mine told me he will send out in couple hours, that is a sign you will get it pretty quick. Also, from previous discussion, it seems like even if you complete everything, still there is no guarantee you will get a spot to Rigaud or when it will be. I would not risk myself if I were you.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

dankmb
Rookie Member

Postby dankmb » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:44 pm

kellylihomes wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm
JDube wrote:

About one week for me. You can ask the analyst when you are doing your interview. Mine told me he will send out in couple hours, that is a sign you will get it pretty quick. Also, from previous discussion, it seems like even if you complete everything, still there is no guarantee you will get a spot to Rigaud or when it will be. I would not risk myself if I were you.

My security took 5-6 months to come back. This varies on A LOT of things !! like who did your interview, where you're from, your background, whom you're in relation with, your job, where and when you've traveled, credit - so many factors ! If you have a good opportunity, don't turn it down as you could be waiting another 2 years. If it's a contract position, consider reading what that might entail and decide from there :)

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:22 pm
JDube wrote:
2 days for me.
Same for me.

I would also recommend checking in with them regularly. I was surprised that I hadn’t heard anything in the new year so I sent an email asking if they required any further info. Long story, short...turns out they never received my medical clearance paper work. I promptly had it resent. I’m not sure if I would have been sent an invite earlier but now I have to redo my PARE before April and possibly my medical. I’m grateful for how fast my process had gone up to the integrity interview and I can appreciate how busy HR and recruiting must be. Things like this are bound to happen :(
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

A North

Postby A North » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 am
kittycat1024 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:35 am
Tyler55 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 pm
Security Clearance granted yay!

Can anyone shed some light on how the relocation works when you get posted somewhere?

Do they send you there for a few days to find a place to stay? Or do they have people that find something for you?

Thanks!
Yeah! Congrats!!!! What’s your next step?

I wanna know too! If you are chosen to work at the POE far from your home, do you get “housing allowance”??
You'll find out more in detail if you go to Rigaud, however you could always read back through this thread for an idea/use the search bar. From my own knowledge there's no "housing allowance" finding a house/renting/leasing, that's on you. As for the move itself the Agency may cover a small portion of it, I believe up to $5000 depending on several factors (mainly distance from home to POE). Expect to pay for a lot of things.
You also have only two weeks to get out there, no question. So unless parents are helping you house hunt, be prepared to not have the most fun or need to settle for a dump in the interim depending on where you get posted. 2 weeks is incredibly short notice, in my opinion.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

DrancsCDN
Rookie Member

Postby DrancsCDN » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 pm

dankmb wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:44 pm
kellylihomes wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm
JDube wrote:

My security took 5-6 months to come back. This varies on A LOT of things !! like who did your interview, where you're from, your background, whom you're in relation with, your job, where and when you've traveled, credit - so many factors ! If you have a good opportunity, don't turn it down as you could be waiting another 2 years. If it's a contract position, consider reading what that might entail and decide from there :)
For me it's 2 weeks.

I had interview back on August 12th of last year. In December I had sent an email for a status update for my file and on January 24th of this year I received an email from recruitment that my clearance had actually been granted back on August 21st of last year. They had just never sent me the email confirming my clearance.
Applied: 04/18
Interview: 12/18 ✅
Psych: 02/19 ✅
Sec. Papers: 02/19 ✅
SLE Comp./Writing: 03/19 ✅
PARE: 05/19 ✅
Medical: 06/19 ✅ 03/20 in progress
Sec. Interview: 08/19✅
Clear. Granted: 08/19✅
SLE Oral Prof.:10/19✅
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Tyler55 wrote:

Can anyone shed some light on how the relocation works when you get posted somewhere?

Do they send you there for a few days to find a place to stay? Or do they have people that find something for you?

Thanks!
You have two weeks from graduation to starting at your port. Everything must be done by you and you may be reimbursed up to $5000.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Stone. wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 pm
Tyler55 wrote:

Thanks!
You have two weeks from graduation to starting at your port. Everything must be done by you and you may be reimbursed up to $5000.
That would explain the 30% unhappy BSOs :)

Just imagine a person that has to leave her settled home and family to go to some remote location POE, then to spend half of her salary on rent and expenses, and the other half - at her main home where the spouse and kids are settled for work/school ...

With that policy CBSA pretty much invites only single people with not much settled in their life and no much education (good paying job options locally) to apply, as I don't see many settled people to be ready to waste their salary on a remote location "experience" as BSO until the time for transfer eventually comes.

I wonder what % leave Rigaud the moment they get a POE they don't like to be at ?

Best for CBSA will be to announce the POE at invite time. To save the time and $ to both sides and to assure everyone goes to a POE they are happy with from the start.

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:32 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm
Stone. wrote:
Tyler55 wrote:

Thanks!

Just imagine a person that has to leave her settled home and family to go to some remote location POE, then to spend half of her salary on rent and expenses, and the other half - at her main home where the spouse and kids are settled for work/school ...

With that policy CBSA pretty much invites only single people with not much settled in their life and no much education (good paying job options locally) to apply, as I don't see many settled people to be ready to waste their salary on a remote location "experience" as BSO until the time for transfer eventually comes.

I wonder what % leave Rigaud the moment they get a POE they don't like to be at ?

Best for CBSA will be to announce the POE at invite time. To save the time and $ to both sides and to assure everyone goes to a POE they are happy with from the start.
Very true-
I moved from Halifax to Victoria, then back to Halifax while in the Navy. Not saying that all CBSA agents will have to make a cross country move, but take it from me 5k does not go far when you’re moving.
Just a house purchase alone with deed transfer taxes and lawyers fees will set you back thousands. Then move your belongings and cars etc.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:39 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:32 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Stone. wrote:

Very true-
I moved from Halifax to Victoria, then back to Halifax while in the Navy. Not saying that all CBSA agents will have to make a cross country move, but take it from me 5k does not go far when you’re moving.
Just a house purchase alone with deed transfer taxes and lawyers fees will set you back thousands. Then move your belongings and cars etc.
That is true. One thing to consider, when you have to move due to employment, any moving expense over your moving allowance, you can deduct your tax payable. That might help a little.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

A North

Postby A North » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:54 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Stone. wrote:
Tyler55 wrote:

Thanks!

It also takes 4 to 8 weeks to start getting paid at your PoE from what I've read here.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Stone. wrote:
Tyler55 wrote:

Thanks!

Although it may not be ideal to have to move across the country, no one is forcing you to apply for this career. The guidelines and expectations of the BSO position are pretty clearly laid out. Once you sign the document agreeing to relocate anywhere in Canada, in no way should there be any surprise when you have to move across Canada.

I also think it’s a little ridiculous to say you waste your salary to relocate. First of all, it’s an investment in your career in order to make a living. On top of that, how much do you expect the government to pay for someone who has never worked 1 minute for them? They’re already sinking thousands of dollars into recruitment and training. To complain about them only covering up to $5000 of a move seems ignorant to me. I could be way off on this but I just don’t feel like CBSA owes too much to applicant who have never worked a second for the agency.

There’s quite a few different branches of Law Enforcement that hire locally. None of these complaints would matter if one were to apply for them.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD