GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
DrancsCDN
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby DrancsCDN » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:08 am

hsinom wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm
I got a email end of Jan my medical Redo is coming up but have not heard back with a appointment date. So I’ve emailed them last week but have not received a response yet. Maybe I should bug them again
I had emailed recruitment in early January to get an update on my clearance.

They came back with a reply that my Clearance had been granted back in August 2019 basically 2 weeks after my Integrity Interview. With them never contacting me to let me know.

Then they explained that my CATIII expires in June and that it needed to be redone prior to the summer Intakes and that my file had been sent to the regional office.

A few weeks after I replied asking them if I was allowed to start my medical with the same forms they had sent to me the first time. The next day I received an email stating that I could redo my CATIII and the extra information to put on the forms.

Coincidence? maybe, but now all my appointments are booked with my Family Doctor.

I don’t see anything wrong asking for status update by email to recruitment on a regular basis.

I Hope to get in those summer intakes and good luck in getting that medical redone, hope you here back soon.
Applied: 04/18
Interview: 12/18 ✅
Psych: 02/19 ✅
Sec. Papers: 02/19 ✅
SLE Comp./Writing: 03/19 ✅
PARE: 05/19 ✅
Medical: 06/19 ✅ 03/20 in progress
Sec. Interview: 08/19✅
Clear. Granted: 08/19✅
SLE Oral Prof.:10/19✅
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

Zepedder
Rookie Member

Postby Zepedder » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 am

DrancsCDN wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:08 am
hsinom wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm
I got a email end of Jan my medical Redo is coming up but have not heard back with a appointment date. So I’ve emailed them last week but have not received a response yet. Maybe I should bug them again
Then they explained that my CATIII expires in June and that it needed to be redone prior to the summer Intakes and that my file had been sent to the regional office.

A few weeks after I replied asking them if I was allowed to start my medical with the same forms they had sent to me the first time. The next day I received an email stating that I could redo my CATIII and the extra information to put on the forms.
Basically same situation for me. Received an email saying my CATIII is expiring before the next intake and that someone would contact me in the next few months to book it. I emailed back right away asking if I could just preemptively do it again and I received a response soon after with all the information to book my appointment. Completed it yesterday and now hoping to be included in a summer intake!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Paperwork- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Interview- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:05 am
You have the same information i have, Management has accepted all the recommendations and have started to, we will have to see for the next competition which will be harder to get in and timed, coming around April.
Тhanks !

pennyjean75
Rookie Member

Postby pennyjean75 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:04 am

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 pm
Stone. wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:50 pm

I love everything about this. Probably the truest post that has ever and will ever be on this chit chat.
Normally, no one from within the CBSA makes comments of this type especially here, however i do understand where your coming from. Having said that, and when you look from the top to those really bad, low class, really bad employers, even worst work conditions JOBS, i would say when you do become a BSO you'll be standing on that pedestal with the great Law Enforcement agencies. We have issues, yes and depending on certain regions you are absolutely correct, but there is always the opportunity for advancement if your bright and the farther away you get from POE the better, having done those Sh_tt_ ass jobs when i was a young man, i would say you can have a great career within the CBSA if you move around, not always easy in certain regions i know. I can say with pride that i am a Border Services Officer and i used to be called a Customs Officer and they are respected around the world.

And that's my 2 cents.
As it seems related, I will ask it now :

Ulcaster, is there any truth in the rumour that CBSA plans to assign/offer POE at Invite time in the future ?
And is there any plans to increase the allowance while in training to match Corrections and RCMP ?

It seems that the Mobility clause is one of the big issues for CBSA, causing low engagement in some cases and as confirmed per the Evaluation of the OIM model.

"While the intent of OIM is to permanently place officers at POEs that had identified a need for additional frontline resources, the continued prevalence of requests for transfer out of those POEs could indicate that the ideal placement model has not been found."
"The evaluation also highlighted several challenges that existed with the process used during the O&R phase of the OIM to assess and select candidates for the training program. The process was found to be too lengthy and the quality of the communication with the applicants/candidates required improvement. A limiting factor to an effective Application and Selection process has been the absence of an adequate information system to manage candidates. Stakeholders are aware of some of these challenges and are redesigning and launching a new Application and Selection process that is expected to improve the way in which candidates are assessed. Monitoring improvements to the new process will be important."

Here's a brief of the recommendations :

"Recommendations:
The findings of the evaluation led to the following seven Recommendations:

The Vice-President of Operations Branch, in consultation with the Vice-Presidents of Programs Branch and Human Resources Branch, should develop a multi-year, annually updated, Workforce Plan that considers the full range of factors to identify the optimum number, type and location of BSOs to meet operational needs. The Workforce Plan will need to include a placement strategy that allows identification of placement as early as possible in the OIM process;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should develop a national outreach and recruitment strategy that considers more effective and efficient screening processes, targets known gaps in BSO representation, such as gender, gaps in BSO staffing at specific POEs, and operational language requirements. The strategy should be updated annually to provide revised targets and priority areas for outreach activities conducted by the regions;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should review the training stipend provided during the OITP to improve CBSA’s competitiveness to attract quality candidates;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should develop a performance measurement framework for the OIM (including all phases), and ensure that improvements in the efficiency and effectiveness of the new Recruitment model are monitored;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should develop a plan to improve the case management of individuals throughout all phases of the OIM;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch, in consultation with the Vice-President of Programs Branch and the Vice-President of Operations Branch, should:
Identify how and at which phase of the OIM the competencies for new BSOs will be assessed, with particular attention to the OIDP; and
Identify training needs for new BSOs and determine appropriate phase(s) in which training is delivered;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should review the tools and length of the OIDP. A reduction to the existing timeline to be eligible for appointment (currently at 12 months minimum) should be considered; and

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should conduct a comprehensive Gender-Based Analysis to identify the specific barriers that affect the experiences of individuals of different backgrounds (i.e., gender, race, socio-economic status, age, etc.) in all phases of the OIM."
Thank you all for this thread. I’ve been hearing from a couple of friends in the CBSA that they are desperate for applicants but am constantly hearing about people being in the process for 3 years plus. It’s good to know that the apparent problems with the process are being/have been assessed and, hopefully, those that have been waiting will started getting moved through the process and those who are coming in won’t have the same issues.
BC
Applied: Jun/16
Standardized tests: Sept/16
Interview: Oct/16
Psych test: Nov/16
Psych int: Nov/16
Med exam: Nov/16 and Nov/17
PARE: Jan 28/17
Sec paperwork submitted: Jan 12/17
Integrity Interview: Oct 31/17
Security clearance: Jan 16/2020

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Postby Galadriel0718 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:09 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Stone. wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:50 pm
Galadriel0718 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Full disclosure, a lot of BSOs leave after a few years of working for CBSA for many reasons:
1) Transferring in the Agency is next to impossible and is on average a 4+ year wait regardless of your circumstances, if you're not bilingual, best of luck if ever.
2) CBSA is the lowest paying law enforcement Agency out there - most younger officers use it as a stepping stone into RCMP or policing - after the money you pay into taxes, CPP, union etc, you make the same salary as most other less demanding jobs.
3) The politics of the Agency are... :ponder: management is questionable at best, especially at larger ports.
4) The OIDP (FB-02 to FB-03) is a joke and is trying to be eradicated as it's just an excuse for CBSA to pay you less to do more work for a year.

This was my dream career when I initially applied but is now just a method of income when you've seen behind the curtain.

Just my 0.02 cents - take what you will.
I love everything about this. Probably the truest post that has ever and will ever be on this chit chat.
Normally, no one from within the CBSA makes comments of this type especially here, however i do understand where your coming from. Having said that, and when you look from the top to those really bad, low class, really bad employers, even worst work conditions JOBS, i would say when you do become a BSO you'll be standing on that pedestal with the great Law Enforcement agencies. We have issues, yes and depending on certain regions you are absolutely correct, but there is always the opportunity for advancement if your bright and the farther away you get from POE the better, having done those Sh_tt_ ass jobs when i was a young man, i would say you can have a great career within the CBSA if you move around, not always easy in certain regions i know. I can say with pride that i am a Border Services Officer and i used to be called a Customs Officer and they are respected around the world.

And that's my 2 cents.
Just saying, wish I was forewarned before hand the issues that this Agency faces and has yet to address, no one told me about Phoenix before entering this job either - my pay is my livelihood and CBSA couldn't care less whether I get paid or not and it will take them 6+ months to figure out - and as for being respected, by travellers, mostly, by other law enforcement? Not so much. I'm not saying it's the worst job, I'm simply saying that for some, especially those with families to support, it may not be suited. You can make what you will of the career but again, depends on your port - which in my case, is the most flawed in terms of these things. If you're at a smaller port or land border, may not be the case.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

hashimshah
Rookie Member

Postby hashimshah » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:24 am

Hey guys, I just got an email asking me to update firearms ( booked for March 7&8)so they can consider me for the summer intake. I have till April 3rd to submit my gun safety results. Do you guys think my induction is pretty much decided or if there still is some wait?
OTEE: Oct 2018
Interview: May 2019
Psyc Test & int: Jul 2019 & Aug 2019, resp
Sec Cl Sub: Sep 2019
Med: Oct 2019
PARE: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Interview: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Granted: Jan 2020
CRFC: Pending
OITP: Pending
Rigaud: Pending

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am

hashimshah wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:24 am
Hey guys, I just got an email asking me to update firearms ( booked for March 7&8)so they can consider me for the summer intake. I have till April 3rd to submit my gun safety results. Do you guys think my induction is pretty much decided or if there still is some wait?
looks pretty good if you ask me ;)
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

MakingItTrue
Rookie Member

Postby MakingItTrue » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:19 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:24 am
Never count on it being guaranteed even if you're given specific details. Speaking from experience with all files being valid at that time. Continue on with life until you actually receive an invite

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:20 pm

The whole process is hurry up and wait.

No rhyme or reason.

There is no special secret.

I near aced my OTEE, everything else was completed quickly, already a current employee with the feds in the same Public Safety umbrella as an officer (10 years) and I have a high priority status. Doesnt mean a thing to them.

As has been mentioned many times by many people. Dont put your life on hold. Just take each day as it comes and youll get the call. Am I disappointed they filled all the winter intakes when they had said that I would be looked at for the winter intakes? Sure, but it is what it is. Obviously priority doesnt matter in this process nor does experience, scores, initiative or anything else.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Does anyone but chance know if invites go out this month or do they skip February’s and wait till March.
Just a curious question.
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE March 2019:
RPAL: March 2019
OITP:

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:49 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:20 pm

No rhyme or reason.

I near aced my OTEE, everything else was completed quickly, already a current employee with the feds in the same Public Safety umbrella as an officer (10 years) and I have a high priority status. Doesnt mean a thing to them.

As has been mentioned many times by many people. Dont put your life on hold. Just take each day as it comes and youll get the call. Am I disappointed they filled all the winter intakes when they had said that I would be looked at for the winter intakes? Sure, but it is what it is. Obviously priority doesnt matter in this process nor does experience, scores, initiative or anything else.
Literally in the exact same boat my friend, couldn’t have said it better myself !! Just trying to remain positive and take advantage of the career path I already have in hope of following my dream when I do get the call ;)
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Integrity interview March 5th. Seeing the timelines here I know I shouldn't get my hopes too high but still. Things are moving nicely so far!
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

A North

Postby A North » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41 pm

JDube wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm
Integrity interview March 5th. Seeing the timelines here I know I shouldn't get my hopes too high but still. Things are moving nicely so far!
Glad to hear you have a date for this! Based on what I've read here just be dressed for success and answer questions embarrassingly honest haha. Will you need to travel for it?
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD

SunnyBocephus
Rookie Member

Postby SunnyBocephus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:05 am
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:

And that's my 2 cents.
As it seems related, I will ask it now :

Ulcaster, is there any truth in the rumour that CBSA plans to assign/offer POE at Invite time in the future ?
And is there any plans to increase the allowance while in training to match Corrections and RCMP ?

It seems that the Mobility clause is one of the big issues for CBSA, causing low engagement in some cases and as confirmed per the Evaluation of the OIM model.

"While the intent of OIM is to permanently place officers at POEs that had identified a need for additional frontline resources, the continued prevalence of requests for transfer out of those POEs could indicate that the ideal placement model has not been found."
"The evaluation also highlighted several challenges that existed with the process used during the O&R phase of the OIM to assess and select candidates for the training program. The process was found to be too lengthy and the quality of the communication with the applicants/candidates required improvement. A limiting factor to an effective Application and Selection process has been the absence of an adequate information system to manage candidates. Stakeholders are aware of some of these challenges and are redesigning and launching a new Application and Selection process that is expected to improve the way in which candidates are assessed. Monitoring improvements to the new process will be important."

Here's a brief of the recommendations :

"Recommendations:
The findings of the evaluation led to the following seven Recommendations:

The Vice-President of Operations Branch, in consultation with the Vice-Presidents of Programs Branch and Human Resources Branch, should develop a multi-year, annually updated, Workforce Plan that considers the full range of factors to identify the optimum number, type and location of BSOs to meet operational needs. The Workforce Plan will need to include a placement strategy that allows identification of placement as early as possible in the OIM process;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should develop a national outreach and recruitment strategy that considers more effective and efficient screening processes, targets known gaps in BSO representation, such as gender, gaps in BSO staffing at specific POEs, and operational language requirements. The strategy should be updated annually to provide revised targets and priority areas for outreach activities conducted by the regions;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should review the training stipend provided during the OITP to improve CBSA’s competitiveness to attract quality candidates;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should develop a performance measurement framework for the OIM (including all phases), and ensure that improvements in the efficiency and effectiveness of the new Recruitment model are monitored;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should develop a plan to improve the case management of individuals throughout all phases of the OIM;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch, in consultation with the Vice-President of Programs Branch and the Vice-President of Operations Branch, should:
Identify how and at which phase of the OIM the competencies for new BSOs will be assessed, with particular attention to the OIDP; and
Identify training needs for new BSOs and determine appropriate phase(s) in which training is delivered;

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should review the tools and length of the OIDP. A reduction to the existing timeline to be eligible for appointment (currently at 12 months minimum) should be considered; and

The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should conduct a comprehensive Gender-Based Analysis to identify the specific barriers that affect the experiences of individuals of different backgrounds (i.e., gender, race, socio-economic status, age, etc.) in all phases of the OIM."
You have the same information i have, Management has accepted all the recommendations and have started to, we will have to see for the next competition which will be harder to get in and timed, coming around April.

Is April the next competition?

I am seeing advertisements at career fairs lately in BC. Curious as to when the posting will go up.
CBSA
Applied: February 2019
OTEE: Pass March 2019
Interview: September 2019

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:59 am

Boomboom72 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:49 pm
Kevlar wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:20 pm

No rhyme or reason.

Literally in the exact same boat my friend, couldn’t have said it better myself !! Just trying to remain positive and take advantage of the career path I already have in hope of following my dream when I do get the call ;)
H.R/Recrutement, the most disorganized department in the agency, just heard that they now say CATIII is the last step because of the time restraints.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.