GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Stone.
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Stone. » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 pm
Anybody know what will cause an unsuccessful medical exam?
Not sure what to expect
The only way to fail the medical exam is to not have a heart beat, even then you might still pass. Nothing to worry about.

A North

Postby A North » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Stone. wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Not sure what to expect
The only way to fail the medical exam is to not have a heart beat, even then you might still pass. Nothing to worry about.
I agree to an extent, for the physical part I definitely feel it's hard to fail unless there's a condition making it unsafe for you to be in possession of CEWs or firearms while on the job.

Not sure about the hearing and vision parts though; I know a guy who didn't know he had a certain type of colorblindness until the medical came around, which resulted in him being kicked indefinitely from any MP and RCMP processes. Idk if CBSA holds the same standards.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 pm
Suikoden wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 am
Re:PARE

-approx 60% fail OTEE
-approx 75% fail interview
-approx 75 % fail psyche

If you’re male, wait to do your PARE till after you pass Psyche. You’re in for a long wait.
Out of +-20,000 applicants only about 250-275 make it as a full BSO.
+/- 20,000 applicants per job posting or between Year A and Year B?

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:24 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:56 pm
Average output per year

20,439 Applications Received per year
334 Candidates Invited to the OITP per year
277 Graduating Recruits per year
257 Appointed BSOs per year

Source: Public Service Commission (PSC) data, October 2017; National Officer Recruitment Program, HRB, August 2017; CBSA College, HRB, October 2017; CBSA, Workforce and Demographic Analysis, HRB, December 2017.

Back to my position on PARE, I may have to revise that and have to agree with people that said to do it last, because if everyone does PARE early in the process, that would be 20000 PARE tests (60-100$ each) for nothing ... lol

bordurrr
Rookie Member

Postby bordurrr » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:24 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Average output per year

Source: Public Service Commission (PSC) data, October 2017; National Officer Recruitment Program, HRB, August 2017; CBSA College, HRB, October 2017; CBSA, Workforce and Demographic Analysis, HRB, December 2017.

Back to my position on PARE, I may have to revise that and have to agree with people that said to do it last, because if everyone does PARE early in the process, that would be 20000 PARE tests (60-100$ each) for nothing ... lol

IMO getting everything done at the earliest possible time shows initiative. In a competition this competitive, with countless qualified candidates, id be looking for every opportunity to show that I want it more than the next person. If potentially redoing a PARE test is too much of a hassle for people, they’re either not in good enough shape or don’t want it bad enough. Certainly seems like there is a degree of discretion with who gets selected. Initiative has to factors into that decision.

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 pm

bordurrr wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 pm
IronWolf wrote:
neonlights97 wrote:
Average output per year

IMO getting everything done at the earliest possible time shows initiative. In a competition this competitive, with countless qualified candidates, id be looking for every opportunity to show that I want it more than the next person. If potentially redoing a PARE test is too much of a hassle for people, they’re either not in good enough shape or don’t want it bad enough. Certainly seems like there is a degree of discretion with who gets selected. Initiative has to factors into that decision.
Yeah, no.

They aren't looking at you as taking initiative if you do it early. They're looking at it as either you completed or didn't complete it. You did it early? Congrats, you completed it. Make sure to renew it when the time comes. Otherwise, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and have a good day.

There was one user, can't recall who, who was going on and on about being the best and looking at it as a competition etc etc etc, and they had PARE done early and apparent near perfect score during OTEE...they failed at psyche and were made to do the test around the same time as another few users.

There are circumstances where you may be expedited through the process, but it's certainly not because you showed 'initiative' during PARE.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:43 pm

A North wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 pm
Stone. wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Not sure what to expect
I agree to an extent, for the physical part I definitely feel it's hard to fail unless there's a condition making it unsafe for you to be in possession of CEWs or firearms while on the job.

Not sure about the hearing and vision parts though; I know a guy who didn't know he had a certain type of colorblindness until the medical came around, which resulted in him being kicked indefinitely from any MP and RCMP processes. Idk if CBSA holds the same standards.
CBSA has different vision standards than policing. You can be colourblind and still pass the medical.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:58 am

bordurrr wrote:
IronWolf wrote:
neonlights97 wrote:
Average output per year

There is a criteria for ranking applicants, but completing a pare quickly isn’t going to be one of them just because the other stages can’t really be expedited.. there is SBSOs on here waiting 8+ months at the clearance stage when they have already worked for the agency. The way I look at it, you either get lucky .. or don’t.

bordurrr
Rookie Member

Postby bordurrr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:41 am

Suikoden wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 pm
bordurrr wrote:
IronWolf wrote:

Average output per year

Yeah, no.

They aren't looking at you as taking initiative if you do it early. They're looking at it as either you completed or didn't complete it. You did it early? Congrats, you completed it. Make sure to renew it when the time comes. Otherwise, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and have a good day.

There was one user, can't recall who, who was going on and on about being the best and looking at it as a competition etc etc etc, and they had PARE done early and apparent near perfect score during OTEE...they failed at psyche and were made to do the test around the same time as another few users.

There are circumstances where you may be expedited through the process, but it's certainly not because you showed 'initiative' during PARE.

how do you know what they're looking at? how do you know that initiative is not part of the equation?

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:57 am

bordurrr wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:41 am
Suikoden wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 pm
bordurrr wrote:

Yeah, no.

how do you know what they're looking at? how do you know that initiative is not part of the equation?
Frankly, doing the PARE after Meds. and Psych. is probably a good idea but before Int.Int. Pare in Quebec is good for 18 months now. I would recommend you do your Pare when you submit sec.forms. Security last 3-6 months, so when thats done your good to go and have valid Pare by the time you go to Rigaud, don't wait for the others pre-req.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:34 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am
... they have not even gotten in touch to do my CAT III yet. I know the people who are in charge of scheduling it, and even they have told me nothing's booked yet. ...
They may have more than enough qualified and waiting for intake candidates in the pool, that have applied from previous years.

I thought delaying the Medical past 2019 maybe either for lack of doctor's availability in the area or the HR knows we are not getting in 2020 intake anyway, so not to have to re-do and pay for it again.

You are not alone in that boat, I had my clearance granted last November and no Medical yet.
I would agree with that, except for the fact that SBSO -> BSO bridging isn't held to the same structure as regular processes and it gets priority treatment (or is supposed to) based on the fact that you've done the job as a student. I'm not bitter, my point was more to show that even those with priority processes have a long wait ahead of them. Don't mistake me for someone who is naïve to the process. I've spent 5 years with the Agency, I know how slow things can go.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:12 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:57 am
Frankly, doing the PARE after Meds. and Psych. is probably a good idea but before Int.Int. Pare in Quebec is good for 18 months now. I would recommend you do your Pare when you submit sec.forms. Security last 3-6 months, so when thats done your good to go and have valid Pare by the time you go to Rigaud, don't wait for the others pre-req.
Thanks, Ulcaster555 !

Tyler55
Rookie Member

Postby Tyler55 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 am

Security interview today. No medical scheduled yet. Super nervous, I don't know what to expect

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 am

Tyler55 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 am
Security interview today. No medical scheduled yet. Super nervous, I don't know what to expect
Honest conversation with the interviewer, be yourself, answer the questions, straight forward thing, nothing to worry about.

Good luck !

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 am

Tyler55 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 am
Also consider the intelligence officer already knows the answer to your questions. Tell the truth and you’ll have nothing to worry about at all.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD