GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:17 pm
A North wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:16 pm

In Quebec you have to take the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) from official instructors, you can't take one from a Joe Blow backwoods organization.

See link below.
https://www.fqtir.qc.ca/en/become-a-tar ... ter/crfsc/
The rules are the same for all CFSC and CRFSC in Canada, by the way.
Of course they are, I am wondering why Dave would say ''Look for the longest, most expensive and BEST CFSC/CRFSC course you can find''

Its the same for every course, why would you want to find one that's longer and more expensive.
This exactly, plus the exams are very easy to be unsuccessful on; I almost failed my restricted exam for a couple rookie mistakes (I found it was much easier to be less careful with barrel direction and trigger avoidance with smaller firearms like pistols compared to the shotguns and friends used in non-restricted, and I very nearly paid for it).

Most courses are only 2 days maximum anyways, I did one 8 am to 4 pm-ish on a Sunday for non-restricted, same thing 2 weeks later for restricted and because I used the same instructor I got a decent discount on both.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

mendoza68
Rookie Member

Postby mendoza68 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:48 pm

A North wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:08 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:04 pm
kittycat1024 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Thanks! So after i’ve done the mmpi how long I can book the face to face? Coz I’m living out of the country now. :roll: I just wanna get the heads up
Email this detail (that you live abroad) to the Psychologist that books your written part testing. If they are in a good mood and have time, they can book your face to face shortly after the written part on same day. Someone here in the past wrote that they were accommodated that way.
Isn't there a second psych test too? I thought I read that psych was 2 exams and 1 interview "scheduled close together".

Both questionnaires are on the same day. When I did my psych assessment I was leaving the country for a month on the same day so I wrote a kind email to the psychologist and he had no problem interviewing me after the examination was done so I wouldn't miss my trip.
Applied- Oct 2017
Interview- April 2018
Security Sent- June 2018
Psych - May 2018
Medical - June 2018/July 2019
Pare- February 2018/June 2019
Security Interview - February 2019
Security Clearance- March 2019
OITP- 15D February 2020
Rigaud ???

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks for the tips!

But I’m not sure the next step is psych assessment, medical or security clearance.

Can the psych assessment paper can be done online or have to be done at the Center in person?
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Postby Galadriel0718 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:02 am

cbmcmsa wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am
raasan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:57 pm

$800 annually and lots of heavily requested OT.

Might be able to get a better port... MIGHT
Would you say it’s worth it? I read in the previous comments that it’s really hard to get transfers because the ports tend to hang on to the Bilingual officers. Also, what ports are considered “better”?
I'll put it to you this way, being BIL is both an asset and a hinderance. Depending on the port, how many BIL officers they have, how many they get, resources, etc. you could have an ok time, or a not great time. Currently at my port we have 4 active BIL on a 2 wheel line split against like 30 regular BSOs. This means that we essentially have no way to release our BIL officers to go for training, deployments, etc. while regular officers are getting transferred, BFI training, etc. Is that fair? Not really, but BSOs are slave to that terrible, ambiguous phrase, "OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENT". This is the hinderance. Since most ports are designated BIL ports, it means we need a BIL presence as long as the POE is open. We're 24/7/365. Which means our 4 BIL officers don't get to really deviate except for Vacay, FRR, Sick leave, in which case one of the other BILs has to pull OT.

Now the asset. Having the ability to communicate in both official languages is huge if you work somewhere that has a lot of French/North African travellers as you will be able to (more or less) communicate with them personally, meaning your exams will be easier than trying to do the go between thing that others have to. You also get OT. I know I listed it as a hinderance, because it's pretty much non-stop, but that's also a benefit. If you like to work/make money/bank CT, you'll have that option pretty much on tap depending on the port, and you could make some really really killer money. That 800/year is really a bad # because it's from when the incentive was introduced and hasn't been adjusted for market value. That being said, I see the BIL guys more than anyone because they're always here.

Does it suck, and force you to do things that are required by the operation, that might not be in your original plans... Yeah kind of, but I'm not telling you what to do, just my opinion on the matter. There are lots of officers that have passable/serviceable French but don't do the SLE because they don't want to. You could always do it later on if you felt it would be good for you as well.

Me personally, I could take the SLE and probably get whatever the lower passing qualification is, but I'm not going to, because it wouldn't benefit me personally.

Again just my two cents, take everything on here with a grain of salt. Others may tell you otherwise.
:wave:
AMEN TO THAT.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:17 am

kittycat1024 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 pm
Thanks for the tips!

But I’m not sure the next step is psych assessment, medical or security clearance.

Can the psych assessment paper can be done online or have to be done at the Center in person?
The next step should be the pysch, then send security clearance paperwork in, then medical (At least that was the order I was in)
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - Sep 2019
Online: Jan 2020
Rigaud: March 2020

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:13 am

Galadriel0718 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:02 am
cbmcmsa wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am
raasan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm

Would you say it’s worth it? I read in the previous comments that it’s really hard to get transfers because the ports tend to hang on to the Bilingual officers. Also, what ports are considered “better”?
I'll put it to you this way, being BIL is both an asset and a hinderance. Depending on the port, how many BIL officers they have, how many they get, resources, etc. you could have an ok time, or a not great time. Currently at my port we have 4 active BIL on a 2 wheel line split against like 30 regular BSOs. This means that we essentially have no way to release our BIL officers to go for training, deployments, etc. while regular officers are getting transferred, BFI training, etc. Is that fair? Not really, but BSOs are slave to that terrible, ambiguous phrase, "OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENT". This is the hinderance. Since most ports are designated BIL ports, it means we need a BIL presence as long as the POE is open. We're 24/7/365. Which means our 4 BIL officers don't get to really deviate except for Vacay, FRR, Sick leave, in which case one of the other BILs has to pull OT.

Now the asset. Having the ability to communicate in both official languages is huge if you work somewhere that has a lot of French/North African travellers as you will be able to (more or less) communicate with them personally, meaning your exams will be easier than trying to do the go between thing that others have to. You also get OT. I know I listed it as a hinderance, because it's pretty much non-stop, but that's also a benefit. If you like to work/make money/bank CT, you'll have that option pretty much on tap depending on the port, and you could make some really really killer money. That 800/year is really a bad # because it's from when the incentive was introduced and hasn't been adjusted for market value. That being said, I see the BIL guys more than anyone because they're always here.

Does it suck, and force you to do things that are required by the operation, that might not be in your original plans... Yeah kind of, but I'm not telling you what to do, just my opinion on the matter. There are lots of officers that have passable/serviceable French but don't do the SLE because they don't want to. You could always do it later on if you felt it would be good for you as well.

Me personally, I could take the SLE and probably get whatever the lower passing qualification is, but I'm not going to, because it wouldn't benefit me personally.

Again just my two cents, take everything on here with a grain of salt. Others may tell you otherwise.
:wave:
AMEN TO THAT.
Seriously, top notch info thank you so much. Being from Quebec (I speak four languages total) and a workaholic, it gives me even more motivation and will to apply as a bilingual applicant. A question though, if an applicant applies as bilingual, does it fall into a different pool than someone who would just apply English? Meaning, does it fall into the hands/gets processed with the bilingual recruitment team? Or do all applicants fall into the same hands/team?

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:32 am

A North wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
A North wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm

The rules are the same for all CFSC and CRFSC in Canada, by the way.
Of course they are, I am wondering why Dave would say ''Look for the longest, most expensive and BEST CFSC/CRFSC course you can find''

Its the same for every course, why would you want to find one that's longer and more expensive.
This exactly, plus the exams are very easy to be unsuccessful on; I almost failed my restricted exam for a couple rookie mistakes (I found it was much easier to be less careful with barrel direction and trigger avoidance with smaller firearms like pistols compared to the shotguns and friends used in non-restricted, and I very nearly paid for it).

Most courses are only 2 days maximum anyways, I did one 8 am to 4 pm-ish on a Sunday for non-restricted, same thing 2 weeks later for restricted and because I used the same instructor I got a decent discount on both.

First; A North, really sorry to hear about you getting bounced. You seemed genuinely interested. Hopefully you get back on track. I find with ever changing requirements, it's hard to keep up sometimes.

Second; Interesting that they've been allowing people to wait until Rigaud to do their Firearms exams. When I applied, I recall having to have it completed prior to my application. Which I feel should still be that way. That being said, if your applicaiton takes three years like mine did, and you don't touch or even look at a firearm in between, I can see why they'd want you to do it during your application.

100% Do your courses ASAP. In Rigaud, they start you off pretty easy. Obviously you aren't on the range the first day of firearms training, but you are expected to know the basic fundamentals that have been shared already. When a safety violation takes place on the range, you get one stern warning. After that, you come off the range for the day and are subsequently written up. Thankfully I got my warning early and out of the way for a simple little "mulligan" as my instructor called it. Finger on the trigger when I transitioned to my knee. Not the worst safety violation, but obviously, still a safety violation. Between Rigaud and the job itself, I've been with the Agency since January last year and in that time, between Rigaud and my port, have seen some pretty blatant safety violations that could have, and did in some cases, put lives at risk. This is no joke. The over exaddurated movements they get you to do when you're checking a firearm are in place for a very good reason.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:14 pm

I strongly agree that firearm safe handling is very important. There was a time when I had firearm training at a police facility, a dangerous situation did happen, and our training officer was not happy with the situation at all. Luckily, nothing bad happened. Any behaviour against the safety rule could put your classmate’s life in danger. I really do not fee comfortable doing firearm training with other people who have not complete the safety course before.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

kellylihomes wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:14 pm
I strongly agree that firearm safe handling is very important. There was a time when I had firearm training at a police facility, a dangerous situation did happen, and our training officer was not happy with the situation at all. Luckily, nothing bad happened. Any behaviour against the safety rule could put your classmate’s life in danger. I really do not fee comfortable doing firearm training with other people who have not complete the safety course before.
First part of the training ideally should be with Plastic guns, to make sure everyone masters muzzle direction control and finger out of the trigger, then with real guns without ammo, and just after that with live ammo.

And never stay quiet if you see someone mishandling a gun - always speak up about it.

While at Rigaud, I believe I saw some colorful plastic guns in holsters, not sure if they are to get used with the feeling to carry a gun or were really used in training, or both.

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:02 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm
kellylihomes wrote:
First part of the training ideally should be with Plastic guns, to make sure everyone masters muzzle direction control and finger out of the trigger, then with real guns without ammo, and just after that with live ammo.

And never stay quiet if you see someone mishandling a gun - always speak up about it.

While at Rigaud, I believe I saw some colorful plastic guns in holsters, not sure if they are to get used with the feeling to carry a gun or were really used in training, or both.
Thank you for the information. It seems like a good firearm training procedure.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:36 pm

kellylihomes wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:02 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm
kellylihomes wrote:

Thank you for the information. It seems like a good firearm training procedure.
Just to clarify, I haven't had the training at Rigaud (yet), I only visited so far for different stages of the selection process.
So no first hand experience or knowledge about the plastic guns I saw or how the DFC training goes, or if it includes Plastic guns at any stage to train.

At least I hope they don't give live ammo to all before making sure trainees can handle muzzle direction and trigger right.

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 pm
Thanks for the tips!

Hey Kittycat

I wrote both exams on the same day and had to drive over 3 hours to get there. As far as I know you have to be there in person otherwise how would they know that it was you who wrote the exams. I told the psychologist when I was finished that I had come from another city and he told me that because I had traveled over 300km I would be able to do the interview after everyone had finished, so I waited about 30min and he did the interview which lasted about ten min. I would email the psychologist when you get your date to explain how far you’re travelling. I would also speak to him/her in person on the day of the exam before you write just to confirm.

My next steps are in my signature, but everyone’s seems to be a bit different.
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:31 am

BoltUp wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Hey Kittycat

I wrote both exams on the same day and had to drive over 3 hours to get there. As far as I know you have to be there in person otherwise how would they know that it was you who wrote the exams. I told the psychologist when I was finished that I had come from another city and he told me that because I had traveled over 300km I would be able to do the interview after everyone had finished, so I waited about 30min and he did the interview which lasted about ten min. I would email the psychologist when you get your date to explain how far you’re travelling. I would also speak to him/her in person on the day of the exam before you write just to confirm.

My next steps are in my signature, but everyone’s seems to be a bit different.
Thanks for your info!!!! According to CBSA website :”The psych assessment is administered by clinical psychologists in designated offices across Canada. It includes two exams and a face-to-face interview scheduled close together.”

So I could choose any designated offices across canada?

Also there are two exams? Can the exams be done in the same day?!
:shock:
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 am

neonlights97 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:13 am
Seriously, top notch info thank you so much. Being from Quebec (I speak four languages total) and a workaholic, it gives me even more motivation and will to apply as a bilingual applicant. A question though, if an applicant applies as bilingual, does it fall into a different pool than someone who would just apply English? Meaning, does it fall into the hands/gets processed with the bilingual recruitment team? Or do all applicants fall into the same hands/team?
Not entirely sure on that one. I would advise you to ask recruiting on questions of that nature. I'm sure there are Bilingual waves and French only waves, but I think the majority are English ones. Again, I would ask recruiting or even hit up on of the Agency's social media accounts to find this answer.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
I am wondering why Dave would say ''Look for the longest, most expensive and BEST CFSC/CRFSC course you can find''

Easy answer. Course times are the minimum standard. Instructors can take more time than the minimum. More time means more hands-on.

Maximum course fees are usually set by the province of jurisdiction, but there is no minimum course fee. So, don't look for the quickest course to get it over with. Look for the most thorough course that truly wants to teach lifetime safety skills.