GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
cbmcmsa

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby cbmcmsa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am

raasan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:57 pm
raasan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi,

First time poster. I had a question regarding the bilingual position. I noticed some saying that it may not be worth it due to troubles getting a transfer down the road. I was wondering what the benefits of being a bilingual officer would be?
$800 annually and lots of heavily requested OT.

Might be able to get a better port... MIGHT
Would you say it’s worth it? I read in the previous comments that it’s really hard to get transfers because the ports tend to hang on to the Bilingual officers. Also, what ports are considered “better”?
I'll put it to you this way, being BIL is both an asset and a hinderance. Depending on the port, how many BIL officers they have, how many they get, resources, etc. you could have an ok time, or a not great time. Currently at my port we have 4 active BIL on a 2 wheel line split against like 30 regular BSOs. This means that we essentially have no way to release our BIL officers to go for training, deployments, etc. while regular officers are getting transferred, BFI training, etc. Is that fair? Not really, but BSOs are slave to that terrible, ambiguous phrase, "OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENT". This is the hinderance. Since most ports are designated BIL ports, it means we need a BIL presence as long as the POE is open. We're 24/7/365. Which means our 4 BIL officers don't get to really deviate except for Vacay, FRR, Sick leave, in which case one of the other BILs has to pull OT.

Now the asset. Having the ability to communicate in both official languages is huge if you work somewhere that has a lot of French/North African travellers as you will be able to (more or less) communicate with them personally, meaning your exams will be easier than trying to do the go between thing that others have to. You also get OT. I know I listed it as a hinderance, because it's pretty much non-stop, but that's also a benefit. If you like to work/make money/bank CT, you'll have that option pretty much on tap depending on the port, and you could make some really really killer money. That 800/year is really a bad # because it's from when the incentive was introduced and hasn't been adjusted for market value. That being said, I see the BIL guys more than anyone because they're always here.

Does it suck, and force you to do things that are required by the operation, that might not be in your original plans... Yeah kind of, but I'm not telling you what to do, just my opinion on the matter. There are lots of officers that have passable/serviceable French but don't do the SLE because they don't want to. You could always do it later on if you felt it would be good for you as well.

Me personally, I could take the SLE and probably get whatever the lower passing qualification is, but I'm not going to, because it wouldn't benefit me personally.

Again just my two cents, take everything on here with a grain of salt. Others may tell you otherwise.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Given my timeline, does anyone know when I should roughly expect the OITP and call to Rigaud?

Do you suggest I do the gun course now or when I get the call?
It always amazes me when I read how applicants want to hold off on the CFSC/CRFSC until absolutely necessary; wait until the last minute; or, look for the shortest/cheapest course out there that they can find.

Good grief. Take it NOW.

Look for the longest, most expensive and BEST CFSC/CRFSC course you can find. Take it SERIOUSLY. Pay ATTENTION. Pass with 98%s all around.

It will be the best training course you ever took.

Every single police and law enforcement officer in Canada should have the CFSC/CRFSC. Even the ones who think they know everything. (They don't.)

Why? Here's a clue:

Friendly fire … isn't.

Friendly fire fucking hurts. (Just as much as enemy fire.) It kills. (Just as much as enemy fire.) If you don't relish the idea of seeing a colleague bleeding to death in a ditch, knowing there is NOTHING you can do for them, and - if you don't have a tourniquet and an artery is severed - they will be unconscious in one minute and dead in two, then TAKE THE COURSE. Learn muzzle control and trigger finger discipline.

There have been far too many officers killed in training incidents in Canada.

hashimshah
Rookie Member

Postby hashimshah » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm
hashimshah wrote:
Given my timeline, does anyone know when I should roughly expect the OITP and call to Rigaud?

It always amazes me when I read how applicants want to hold off on the CFSC/CRFSC until absolutely necessary; wait until the last minute; or, look for the shortest/cheapest course out there that they can find.

Good grief. Take it NOW.

Look for the longest, most expensive and BEST CFSC/CRFSC course you can find. Take it SERIOUSLY. Pay ATTENTION. Pass with 98%s all around.

Every single police and law enforcement officer in Canada should have the CFSC/CRFSC. Even the ones who think they know everything. (They don't.)

Why? Here's a clue:

Friendly fire … isn't.

Friendly fire fucking hurts. (Just as much as enemy fire.) It kills. (Just as much as enemy fire.) If you don't relish the idea of seeing a colleague bleeding to death in a ditch, knowing there is NOTHING you can do for them, and - if you don't have a tourniquet and an artery is severed - they will be unconscious in one minute and dead in two, then TAKE THE COURSE. Learn muzzle control and trigger finger discipline.

Wow.. thanks Dave. I can sense the tough love.

Jokes aside, I believe you advice is sincere. I totally agree that gun safety is of utmost importance. I will take your advice. There are a few reasons the applicants may not attempt it off the bat. They are not well informed by the hiring managers/recruitment on how long this is valid for. Now that I researched, it is valid for life aparently. For example PARE or medical expire and people keep thinking same is the case with gun safety. But no tells you that. Second, the recruitment team itself gives an option to delay it till you join Rigaud. It alludes that this is not an urgently needed step.

Despite all that, we have forums like this one where people like you can guide us to right direction.
OTEE: Oct 2018
Interview: May 2019
Psyc Test & int: Jul 2019 & Aug 2019, resp
Sec Cl Sub: Sep 2019
Med: Oct 2019
PARE: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Interview: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Granted: Jan 2020
CRFC: Pending
OITP: Pending
Rigaud: Pending

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:16 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:16 pm
Dave Brown wrote:
hashimshah wrote:

Good grief. Take it NOW.

Why? Here's a clue:

Friendly fire … isn't.

Jokes aside, I believe you advice is sincere. I totally agree that gun safety is of utmost importance. I will take your advice. There are a few reasons the applicants may not attempt it off the bat. They are not well informed by the hiring managers/recruitment on how long this is valid for. Now that I researched, it is valid for life aparently. For example PARE or medical expire and people keep thinking same is the case with gun safety. But no tells you that. Second, the recruitment team itself gives an option to delay it till you join Rigaud. It alludes that this is not an urgently needed step.

Despite all that, we have forums like this one where people like you can guide us to right direction.
In Quebec you have to take the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) from official instructors, you can't take one from a Joe Blow backwoods organization.

See link below.
https://www.fqtir.qc.ca/en/become-a-tar ... ter/crfsc/
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

A North

Postby A North » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:16 pm
hashimshah wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

Good grief. Take it NOW.

Why? Here's a clue:

Friendly fire … isn't.

In Quebec you have to take the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) from official instructors, you can't take one from a Joe Blow backwoods organization.

See link below.
https://www.fqtir.qc.ca/en/become-a-tar ... ter/crfsc/
The rules are the same for all CFSC and CRFSC in Canada, by the way.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

A North

Postby A North » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:39 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:07 am
A North wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 pm
I just got bounced from my application process for not having a full G licence, which was NEVER a requirement when I applied, even though they're claiming it always was! They told me to apply to the next posting but there hasn't been a posting in a year if not more and I've already been waiting almost a year for an interview with zero communication from them...am I going to be waiting ANOTHER year after whatever supposed process opens up? Has this happened to anybody else here?

For the record I also literally passed my G road test today but they wouldn't hear it at all.
Is a G license just the Ontario equivalent of a full graduated license with no restrictions? In Manitoba that's a class 5 license (the one everyone applies for), and from start to finish it's 5 years on the Graduated Driver's Licensing Program to have a full 5F (unrestricted) Driver's license.

To the best of my knowledge, most applications like this (Law Enforcement) require a full license, not intermediate or beginner or whatever your provincial equivalent is. Tough news for you, but not surprising. These processes generally are quite stringent on applicants meeting the minimum COEs. The SBSO position is the one that doesn't require a full unrestricted, and I know you were applying for both, so you may have gotten your wires crossed. Regardless, best of luck in the future!
Unfortunately I did not mix up the SBSO and BSO requirements at all, though I have applied for SBSO every year for the past 5 years and got no response at all either time which is...interesting. Per another user on here, I checked my original application posting on jobs.gc and there was nothing mentioned at all about needing an unrestricted licence so I've been set back more than 14 months arbitrarily now, with no clue when the next posting could be, even though I was successful in getting an unrestricted licence on Tuesday and have been under the impression for almost a year that I was at the interview stage of the process, which recruitment literally confirmed to me multiple times before walking back on that.

"Fair and transparent for all applicants" - that it is not.
CBSA

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Yup. Tough love.

I just watched another video of an officer not controlling their muzzle direction, and shooting a colleague in the back.

Thankfully, she will recover.

Sadly, there have been a few police incidents in Canada where it ended much more tragically.

The PROVE procedure saves lives.

And, I am not saying that because I was one of the people who helped design the two courses, and it was me who coined the acronym PROVE.

Okay … maybe I am.

Take the CFSC/CRFSC as soon as you can. It will be the best training course you ever took.

A North

Postby A North » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:22 pm
Yup. Tough love.

I just watched another video of an officer not controlling their muzzle direction, and shooting a colleague in the back.

Thankfully, she will recover.

Sadly, there have been a few police incidents in Canada where it ended much more tragically.

The PROVE procedure saves lives.

And, I am not saying that because I was one of the people who helped design the two courses, and it was me who coined the acronym PROVE.

Okay … maybe I am.

Take the CFSC/CRFSC as soon as you can. It will be the best training course you ever took.
I agree! Not even for police knowledge but for general knowledge as well! My instructor had trained numerous people as young as 12 so that they could hunt with family safely as well as individuals living in more rough neighbourhoods so that they know how to properly disable any firearms they might come across. If I had my way firearms training would be as common as first aid.
CBSA

ayeness
Rookie Member

Postby ayeness » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Does anyone know when/how we are supposed to show our PARE completion certificate and firearm course? I'm currently waiting in my security clearance and I don't know if it's something they will eventually ask me for or if I'm supposed to submit it to someone on my own.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:01 pm

ayeness wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 pm
Does anyone know when/how we are supposed to show our PARE completion certificate and firearm course? I'm currently waiting in my security clearance and I don't know if it's something they will eventually ask me for or if I'm supposed to submit it to someone on my own.
PARE result is usually transmitted to CBSA by the test center. I have additionally sent my copy as PDF and HR confirmed they got it.

The firearm courses result/proof you can just scan and send by email to HR to add to your file. I provided that at the interview I believe as requested at the time.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:11 am

hashimshah wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
hashimshah wrote:

Good grief. Take it NOW.

Why? Here's a clue:

Friendly fire … isn't.

Given an option to delay it till you join rigaud? Are you sure? I was told to submit my papers before I got my invite, what if they let you wait and you were to fail?
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - Sep 2019
Online: Jan 2020
Rigaud: March 2020

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 am

Get your firearms licence done right away! Its not like it expires like your medical psych and pare. It could take 6 months or more to get your RPAL especially in Ontario given the gun climate as of late and huge backlogs. Ive known folks waiting up to a year if youve had multiple conjugal partners in the last couple years or went through a messy separation etc.

Would suck to get deferred because you held off on doing something so important and can be done on your own time for a couple hundred bucks.

Do not wait. Get it completed and submitted.

That and like Dave said, its one of the best things you can take. Been in Law enforcement for 10 years and cant believe how many officers dont have it. Sure the training is different but its always wise to know the laws as a civilian if you plan to enforce them.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

hashimshah
Rookie Member

Postby hashimshah » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:11 am
hashimshah wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

Good grief. Take it NOW.

Why? Here's a clue:

Friendly fire … isn't.

Given an option to delay it till you join rigaud? Are you sure? I was told to submit my papers before I got my invite, what if they let you wait and you were to fail?
Not kidding. When i received my interview call, this is what they wrote regarding CRFSC and CFSC, "If you did not complete the courses yet, you are not required to provide your proof right away. You will have until before in-residence training to provide your proof of completion."
OTEE: Oct 2018
Interview: May 2019
Psyc Test & int: Jul 2019 & Aug 2019, resp
Sec Cl Sub: Sep 2019
Med: Oct 2019
PARE: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Interview: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Granted: Jan 2020
CRFC: Pending
OITP: Pending
Rigaud: Pending

ayeness
Rookie Member

Postby ayeness » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 am
Get your firearms licence done right away! Its not like it expires like your medical psych and pare. It could take 6 months or more to get your RPAL especially in Ontario given the gun climate as of late and huge backlogs. Ive known folks waiting up to a year if youve had multiple conjugal partners in the last couple years or went through a messy separation etc.

Would suck to get deferred because you held off on doing something so important and can be done on your own time for a couple hundred bucks.

Do not wait. Get it completed and submitted.

That and like Dave said, its one of the best things you can take. Been in Law enforcement for 10 years and cant believe how many officers dont have it. Sure the training is different but its always wise to know the laws as a civilian if you plan to enforce them.
I thought for the CBSA the PAL wasn't required, just the restricted and non restricted firearm course

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Just wanna share! I passed my PARE! 4:40”!!!!!!!

*cough a lot afterward*, prepare a Hall Candy really works!!!!!!
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords: