GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Zedlinka

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 am

Highland2012 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm
I got a pretty generic e-mail today saying they are still in the process of arranging classes and to keep patient.

Anyone know if the March OITP class spots are filled or when the invite is supposed to go out? Assuming Feb is full already.

Cheers all,

:wave:
I imagine they have people in mind, but invites likely won't come out until probably mid-January if I recall correctly. You won't hear much (if anything) until after the holidays.
That pretty well goes for most of those in the Jan-Feb intakes as well. The ones waiting for January will likely hear more, because they need the information. I believe I got my flight information on boxing day, but I could be wrong. Starting to have trouble remembering this stuff.

But yeah, likely have people in mind, but won't hear anything for a bit for March.
Hope that helps.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am

If I live in the Niagara region am I allowed to drive to Rigaud or is it something they make you fly or train or something because it’s over a certain distance. Just curious thanks in advance

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am
If I live in the Niagara region am I allowed to drive to Rigaud or is it something they make you fly or train or something because it’s over a certain distance. Just curious thanks in advance
You are free to go there any way you like. Having your car there will be a nice convenience plus for sure.

Most likely you will get paid in some form (gas money) that 2 way trip to Rigaud and back home. I would ask HR for the details.

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:49 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am
Newrecruit1983 wrote:
You are free to go there any way you like. Having your car there will be a nice convenience plus for sure.

Most likely you will get paid in some form (gas money) that 2 way trip to Rigaud and back home. I would ask HR for the details.
Most people flew from Niagra, but they'd end up going back to get their cars because they're very useful in terms of getting out for a weekend.

I believe the cut off for milage is 400km return. I cant be positive on that though as I flew.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm

I plan on driving from Alberta. I dont care about the distance or the cost, having my vehicle there will be great. I havent spent any time out east other than a few weekends in Montreal but I want to go and see things on the weekend. So much history so much scenery so much culture that varies from my home town.

Hopefully they have an April intake if I dont get March but if not whatever. Hurry up and wait. Might be a nice drive rather than mid winter through the great lakes haha.

As for the personal days while on training comments? Wow... Thats all I have to say.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Again, I cannot stress that PARE enough. Dont underestimate it. When I did mine, class of 12, more than half failed. Not one female passed. All died on the push pull. All were very petite. Where a heavier person with poor core thrength could just force their way through the push these very lean and very fit ladies could barely push the plunger in and keep it there for one pass. Do Not LeaveYour Pare For The Last Minute. I inadvertantly did because my timeline bumped ahead unexpectedly and there were a number of people there in the same boat. Holy the stress they had after failing and there were no more tests available within a 300km radius before the deadline.

Start preparing when you put your application in, Get it done when you get your request for medical after you complete your psych. This should give you plenty of time to retake if you have to since a) its valid for 18 months and b) you put your security paperwork in at the same time as the medical and that takes on average 4 to 12 months. Best advice I can give.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm
I plan on driving from Alberta. I dont care about the distance or the cost, having my vehicle there will be great. I havent spent any time out east other than a few weekends in Montreal but I want to go and see things on the weekend. So much history so much scenery so much culture that varies from my home town.

Hopefully they have an April intake if I dont get March but if not whatever. Hurry up and wait. Might be a nice drive rather than mid winter through the great lakes haha.

As for the personal days while on training comments? Wow... Thats all I have to say.
There were a few from out west who made the drive. Not one of them regretted it. Getting out of Rigaud for a weekend here and there is a necessity. There was an April intake last year and I think they're gonna keep up with them because of short staffing.

BSO

ConnorBay
Rookie Member

Postby ConnorBay » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Hey guys new to this thread but I am currently in my second year of a CUSB course and I actually got to go to Rigaud and visit the training center which was a really cool experience and as I know not many people get to visit. Im not sure if im going to pursue customs as a job as I joined the reserves and may go the military route as customs takes so long to get in and I want work right out of school but if anyone wants to kno about Rigaud I can answer best to my abilities.

new2this
Rookie Member

Postby new2this » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Is the medical request in a separate email? I have not seen anything and submitted my security paperwork a week ago.

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:54 pm

new2this wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:35 pm
Is the medical request in a separate email? I have not seen anything and submitted my security paperwork a week ago.
In some cases takes months, hang on there and wait for that email.

oceanblue11
Rookie Member

Postby oceanblue11 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm
Again, I cannot stress that PARE enough. Dont underestimate it. When I did mine, class of 12, more than half failed. Not one female passed. All died on the push pull. All were very petite. Where a heavier person with poor core thrength could just force their way through the push these very lean and very fit ladies could barely push the plunger in and keep it there for one pass. Do Not LeaveYour Pare For The Last Minute. I inadvertantly did because my timeline bumped ahead unexpectedly and there were a number of people there in the same boat. Holy the stress they had after failing and there were no more tests available within a 300km radius before the deadline.

Start preparing when you put your application in, Get it done when you get your request for medical after you complete your psych. This should give you plenty of time to retake if you have to since a) its valid for 18 months and b) you put your security paperwork in at the same time as the medical and that takes on average 4 to 12 months. Best advice I can give.
As a smaller female myself (5’5”) the best push/pull training advice I can give for other females is to do strength training for leg day (80-90lbs sled push/pull, squat rack, dumbbell lunges, box jumps etc.) and chest/triceps (bench press, seated chest press, overhead cable pull, overhead dumbbell tricep extension, push ups etc.), I did it every 5 days. I also found that crossing my feet (instead of shuffling) for both the push and pull was the fastest technique for the actual test because it gives you more momentum. And make sure your shoes have some traction and aren’t worn out! I saw people waste a lot of time/energy from slipping everywhere on the push/pull. Also for cardio before my test I was alternating between doing 7.5 mph for 20 mins on the treadmill and a 27-30min 5k outdoors, 6 days a week. I wasn’t an athlete beforehand either, I actually went from 153lbs to 128lbs after training for 2.5 months. The PARE can be a good wake up call for people who are out shape, but you will also see some people get by without training and being very overweight because the push/pull is nothing to them 🙃.

One tip I recommend to anyone doing the test in the winter is to bring Halls with you. The air in the gym will most likely be very dry and warm, so taking one like 10-15 mins before your test can really help with your breathing and preventing the “PARE cough” after the test.

bectacular
Rookie Member

Postby bectacular » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:56 am

Can anyone tell me what exactly the cat III medical entails? All my searches turn up aviation-related info. Is it the same? I'm not worried, just curious.

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:00 am

bectacular wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:56 am
Can anyone tell me what exactly the cat III medical entails? All my searches turn up aviation-related info. Is it the same? I'm not worried, just curious.
They'll test your vision, hearing. Go over family medical history, previous medical concerns, etc.
They'll do a physical exam too.

That pretty well covers it.

BSO

hoss1920
Rookie Member

Postby hoss1920 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:29 am

Kevlar wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Agreed. Don't wait too long to get your PARE done. If you pass it first time and it expires you're out $60 and the hassle of a re certification. If you passed it once you can do it again... If you fail you've got time to train for your weak portions and schedule a retest. Nobody needs the added stress of driving 300+kms with a conditional offer on the table.
Applied:   Aug 31 2018
OTEE:   Sept 9 2018
Interview:  Nov 15 2018
PARE: Jan 13 2019
Psych test:  Jan 14 2019
Psych interview:  Feb 1 2019
SLE : Aug 8 2019
Medical: Apr 24 2019
Security Interview:  June 8 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:34 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am
Newrecruit1983 wrote:

I understand that you are new here so before you assume things such as this let someone who knows answer the question.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2