GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:37 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm
Corrections in 2019 started paying around 400$ per week, who knows, maybe CBSA will surprise the new recruits with similar changes in 2020.
Key difference is that CSC is short staffed and doesn't get many applicants per year, whereas CBSA gets over 20,000 applicants/year for 200-300 positions MAX. CBSA doesn't need to pay more because people apply anyways.

Supply and Demand
CSC also has an absolutely insane turnover rate from what I gather.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Tornelco wrote:
IronWolf wrote:
Corrections in 2019 started paying around 400$ per week, who knows, maybe CBSA will surprise the new recruits with similar changes in 2020.
Key difference is that CSC is short staffed and doesn't get many applicants per year, whereas CBSA gets over 20,000 applicants/year for 200-300 positions MAX. CBSA doesn't need to pay more because people apply anyways.

Supply and Demand
True, I would still go to Rigaud even if they didn't pay anything lol

But it will be nice to be in line with other LE agencies, for the principle of it.

hoss1920
Rookie Member

Postby hoss1920 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:40 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Tornelco wrote:
IronWolf wrote:

Supply and Demand

But it will be nice to be in line with other LE agencies, for the principle of it.
There was a report published by CBSA (October 2018) and one of the recommendations was to increase the allowance so that it would be more inline with RCMP, OPP, OPS, etc.

"3. The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should review the training stipend provided
during the OITP to improve CBSA’s competitiveness to attract quality candidates" page vi

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... ba-eng.pdf
Applied:   Aug 31 2018
OTEE:   Sept 9 2018
Interview:  Nov 15 2018
PARE: Jan 13 2019
Psych test:  Jan 14 2019
Psych interview:  Feb 1 2019
SLE : Aug 8 2019
Medical: Apr 24 2019
Security Interview:  June 8 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Emak wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 pm
A North wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am
I have a question for people who have attended Rigaud. I know that they give you $125 per week while at the college, but did you find this was enough to live off when you were there? I know it will vary based off of each persons different circumstances (mortgage, car payments, etc.) but I'm just wondering if that was enough to cover day-to-day expenses there. If not, roughly how much more did you spend while you were there? Thanks in advance.
I'm nowhere near going off to the college but I do know that your room and board at Rigaud is fully paid for by CBSA; you aren't paying for housing, meals, utilities, wifi, gym access, etcetera. All the allowance really does is provide some form of income while you're at Rigaud since you probably won't have any other money coming in. It all depends on what your financial situation is; I've seen a lot of people on here say they're more skeptical about going to Rigaud because it's not enough money at all to cover family expenses, student loans and mortgages and a lot of people get turned off by not being paid for full time away from home training. It's a tough situation for sure, I don't even know how I'll manage myself if I have to start paying back my loans in full force before going to the college.
I have been trying to save as much as I could to build a cushion for those 4 -5 months. I am fortunate that my wife just got a full-time job so we will be able to just cover cost of living while I am away (if I ever get invited. So close yet so far lol). I am still planning to withdraw some of my rrsp money just in case to have some extra cash flow. Hope it doesn't come to that but you gotta do what you gotta do.

BTW anyone else got invited for Feb in Rigaud?
Wondering if Feb is gone for those of us waiting....

I was invited last Tuesday and someone on here sent me a private message that they were as well. Not sure if it’s full or not but wish you the best and hope you get that invite shortly

Riksquatch
Rookie Member

Postby Riksquatch » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi guys new applicant and new blue line member here. I have never been through the process before and have no idea what I can expect.

I got my interview results late October and thankfully I was successful. I havent heard anything since other than to complete my PARE test asap.

I had my first attempted at the PARE today and was unfortunately a few seconds off the pass time. Just wondering what does the CBSA mean by "as soon as possible". I'm getting a little stressed that they're going to email me any time now for the training invitation and I wont have the PARE done. Does anyone know if there is a rough deadline? I'd like to take a few more weeks training, soonest I can retake the PARE is in 2 weeks.

Should I be worried? Just paranoid?

For the record so far I've only completed the interview. I haven't done a psychological evaluation or anything else. Initial application was maybe a year ago, heard nothing until the interview in Oct of this year.

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:27 pm
Emak wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 pm
A North wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 pm

I'm nowhere near going off to the college but I do know that your room and board at Rigaud is fully paid for by CBSA; you aren't paying for housing, meals, utilities, wifi, gym access, etcetera. All the allowance really does is provide some form of income while you're at Rigaud since you probably won't have any other money coming in. It all depends on what your financial situation is; I've seen a lot of people on here say they're more skeptical about going to Rigaud because it's not enough money at all to cover family expenses, student loans and mortgages and a lot of people get turned off by not being paid for full time away from home training. It's a tough situation for sure, I don't even know how I'll manage myself if I have to start paying back my loans in full force before going to the college.
I have been trying to save as much as I could to build a cushion for those 4 -5 months. I am fortunate that my wife just got a full-time job so we will be able to just cover cost of living while I am away (if I ever get invited. So close yet so far lol). I am still planning to withdraw some of my rrsp money just in case to have some extra cash flow. Hope it doesn't come to that but you gotta do what you gotta do.

BTW anyone else got invited for Feb in Rigaud?
Wondering if Feb is gone for those of us waiting....

I was invited last Tuesday and someone on here sent me a private message that they were as well. Not sure if it’s full or not but wish you the best and hope you get that invite shortly
Thanks Newrecruit wish you a very successful journey!
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/2020 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:23 pm

If you haven't done the psych, then your medical clearance will at least a month or 2 down the road. Additionally, you security clearance could be another 6months to a year. Don't sweat the PARE thing. Your not the first to fail it, and you sure wont be the last. You have a lot of time, but with that said; sign up for the next available date and continue to train your butt off. Everyone does better their second time around, and I bet you would be able to pass it.

An additional tip for the PARE would be to find out what your weakness is. If its the push-pull for example, there are exercises designed to help improve it. Same thing for cardio, or bag carry, Ect. Identify the weakness, and focus on it, and turn it into a strength.

Personally, my cardio sucked. So I just made a point to run 1.5 miles 4-5 times a week. :thumbsup:

You got a long road ahead of you, and I'd argue that the biggest obstacle is going to be all the waiting around you have to do.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:23 pm
If you haven't done the psych, then your medical clearance will at least a month or 2 down the road. Additionally, you security clearance could be another 6months to a year. Don't sweat the PARE thing. Your not the first to fail it, and you sure wont be the last. You have a lot of time, but with that said; sign up for the next available date and continue to train your butt off. Everyone does better their second time around, and I bet you would be able to pass it.

An additional tip for the PARE would be to find out what your weakness is. If its the push-pull for example, there are exercises designed to help improve it. Same thing for cardio, or bag carry, Ect. Identify the weakness, and focus on it, and turn it into a strength.

Personally, my cardio sucked. So I just made a point to run 1.5 miles 4-5 times a week. :thumbsup:

You got a long road ahead of you, and I'd argue that the biggest obstacle is going to be all the waiting around you have to do.
The guy that was running the training course said to average 30 sec per lap. As long as you finish your 6 laps in 3mins you should be ok to finish the push pull station in 1 min and 45 secs. He suggested pace yourself laps 1 to 4 and pick up speed in 5 to 6 if needed. You need good endurance and strong core strength to finish the push / pull station.

Now that you have a taste of the circuit, train ahead, build on your weaknesses and you should be fine for your 2nd try. Good Luck Ricksquatch!
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/2020 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Riksquatch wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:59 pm
Hi guys new applicant and new blue line member here. I have never been through the process before and have no idea what I can expect.

I got my interview results late October and thankfully I was successful. I havent heard anything since other than to complete my PARE test asap.

I had my first attempted at the PARE today and was unfortunately a few seconds off the pass time. Just wondering what does the CBSA mean by "as soon as possible". I'm getting a little stressed that they're going to email me any time now for the training invitation and I wont have the PARE done. Does anyone know if there is a rough deadline? I'd like to take a few more weeks training, soonest I can retake the PARE is in 2 weeks.

For the record so far I've only completed the interview. I haven't done a psychological evaluation or anything else. Initial application was maybe a year ago, heard nothing until the interview in Oct of this year.
I'm on the same boat with you!!! Passed my interview in Oct~ now I'm going for PARE in Feb 2020~ email from HR also mention to complete my PARE asap..

How long have you been practicing?

I dont have much confidence for push/pull, very nervous!
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

A North

Postby A North » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 pm

hoss1920 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:40 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Tornelco wrote:

Supply and Demand

There was a report published by CBSA (October 2018) and one of the recommendations was to increase the allowance so that it would be more inline with RCMP, OPP, OPS, etc.

"3. The Vice-President of Human Resources Branch should review the training stipend provided
during the OITP to improve CBSA’s competitiveness to attract quality candidates" page vi

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... ba-eng.pdf
Yeah increased training allowance and decreased time for the recruitment process are hot topics right now. The union only just succeeded in having dog handlers at CBSA get paid for all the training and expenses with their dogs, they're trying to get mandatory firearms training paid right now. It'll be interesting to see what the new agreement could hold!
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:40 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 pm
Riksquatch wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:59 pm

I'm on the same boat with you!!! Passed my interview in Oct~ now I'm going for PARE in Feb 2020~ email from HR also mention to complete my PARE asap..

How long have you been practicing?

I am not sure on how strong you are or anyone that says they are worried about the push pull. I say this honestly and truthfully if you have good technique the push pull will be easy for sure. I saw some people muscle through it and some people have great form and both did fine. But watching people doing it with technique made it seem effortless.

I saw this to everyone if you are close every Tuesday at Mohawk college unless he has something going on Dennis will help you with pacing, push, pull. He’ll look at should you jump the wall or scissor it.

All the best but honestly technique will be your friend and help with the push pull

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 pm
Push and Pull like your life depends on it and you'll make it :swords:

"How to Perform the Push" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwV5cYkE9hs

"How to Perform the Pull" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlidP7n24I

and here see the same guy does the PARE for 2:38 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sv0NV_Gr4

just do it as he does and you'll be good :alright:

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Push and Pull like your life depends on it and you'll make it :swords:

"How to Perform the Push" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwV5cYkE9hs

"How to Perform the Pull" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlidP7n24I

and here see the same guy does the PARE for 2:38 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sv0NV_Gr4

just do it as he does and you'll be good :alright:
Thank you!! I'll try more harder since I have 2 months to go!!!

Reply to: PrairieFire31, indeed $125/week is very less.......its hard for those who have mortgage, bills to pay off....... :banghead:

definitely need family's support.......wish they would increase the allowance soon.....
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

Catlady
Rookie Member

Postby Catlady » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:36 am

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:40 pm
I am not sure on how strong you are or anyone that says they are worried about the push pull. I say this honestly and truthfully if you have good technique the push pull will be easy for sure. I saw some people muscle through it and some people have great form and both did fine. But watching people doing it with technique made it seem effortless.

I saw this to everyone if you are close every Tuesday at Mohawk college unless he has something going on Dennis will help you with pacing, push, pull. He’ll look at should you jump the wall or scissor it.

All the best but honestly technique will be your friend and help with the push pull
As a smaller female (5'4, 120ish lbs) who strength trains 6 days a week (my one rep max for bench press is 135 lbs) I went in to the PARE concerned about running the course as my cardio wasn't that great at the time and super confident about the push/pull. It's not as easy when you are tired from running the course and while I was okay with the pull, I struggled with the push part. I passed, but I was the only female in my group to do so. I was surprised at how challenging the push/pull was for me as I consider myself to be above average for my size, age, and height, when it comes to my fitness level and strength.
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
OTEE - February 2019 (pass)
Interview - April 2019 (pass)
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019 (pass)
PARE - June 2019 (pass)
Psych Assessment (unsuitable)

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:49 am

Catlady wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:36 am
Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:40 pm

As a smaller female (5'4, 120ish lbs) who strength trains 6 days a week (my one rep max for bench press is 135 lbs) I went in to the PARE concerned about running the course as my cardio wasn't that great at the time and super confident about the push/pull. It's not as easy when you are tired from running the course and while I was okay with the pull, I struggled with the push part. I passed, but I was the only female in my group to do so. I was surprised at how challenging the push/pull was for me as I consider myself to be above average for my size, age, and height, when it comes to my fitness level and strength.
I agree. Hopefully I do not have to re-do it again.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud: