GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jwlong
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby jwlong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am

Have a question hoping someone is able to help with.
I emailed to find out when my security interview is and turns out it’ll be week of dec 9 just waiting for them to call and confirm.
Now two weeks ago before I heard this I resigned from my job and was to head to Alberta to another one but have since put that in hold till after my interview here in my home province.
I know they tell you to inform them of any life style changes like changing employment but where I’ve decided to wait technically I’m not employed till I head to Alberta.
My question is should i let them know this now or once I actually change jobs and address. My address is staying the same till mid December now. I’m just between jobs.
And does anyone know how this might affect things.

Thanks all.
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE March 2019:
RPAL: March 2019
OITP:

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:49 am

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm
Boomboom72 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Waiting to hear if anyone else got an invite yet?! Nothing yet for me...
I'm on the 16-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-006-A (Small Communities) selection process. Nothing for me yet either. :|

Also, some of the correspondence I've receive from recruitment has included this process number as well: 18-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-007
Mine say the same thing as yours. Phy Eval was 18 security was 16
Any idea why or what it means ??
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

JohnWilliamson3000
Rookie Member

Postby JohnWilliamson3000 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 am

Yes, you should update them once you have confirmed or started the position indefinitely. Honesty is the best policy!
jwlong wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am
I emailed to find out when my security interview is and turns out it’ll be week of dec 9 just waiting for them to call and confirm.
Now two weeks ago before I heard this I resigned from my job and was to head to Alberta to another one but have since put that in hold till after my interview here in my home province.
I know they tell you to inform them of any life style changes like changing employment but where I’ve decided to wait technically I’m not employed till I head to Alberta.
My question is should i let them know this now or once I actually change jobs and address. My address is staying the same till mid December now. I’m just between jobs.

Thanks all.
Applied: February 2017
Interview: October 2018 ✅
Psych: October 2018✅
Security Papers: December 2018
Pare: April 2019 ✅
Integrity Interview: April 2019
Medical: May 2019 ✅
Security Clearance: December 2019
Online OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am

JohnWilliamson3000 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 am
Yes, you should update them once you have confirmed or started the position indefinitely. Honesty is the best policy!
jwlong wrote:

Thanks all.
Def honest in every way. Was just curious to whether I should say it now or when I start is all.
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am

jwlong wrote:

Thanks all.
I changed jobs three or four times during my three year application. Never mentioned it.
I did however update them with my addresses.

As long as they know your address you're OK. The employment part they're not really that concerned with, nor do they really care to be honest. I mean, if you get fired that's one thing I guess, but just being between jobs isn't really a thing to notify them for.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am
jwlong wrote:

Thanks all.
I changed jobs three or four times during my three year application. Never mentioned it.

As long as they know your address you're OK. The employment part they're not really that concerned with, nor do they really care to be honest. I mean, if you get fired that's one thing I guess, but just being between jobs isn't really a thing to notify them for.

Ok thanks so much for the information. I actually just sent them an email and kinda wish I didn’t now but I am honest and wanted to do what they did ask I guess.
Hopefully it doesn’t hurt anything on my end. I have another job to go to mid December just waiting till after my security interview so I don’t have to come back
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 am

jwlong wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 am
Zedlinka wrote:
jwlong wrote:

Thanks all.

Ok thanks so much for the information. I actually just sent them an email and kinda wish I didn’t now but I am honest and wanted to do what they did ask I guess.
Hopefully it doesn’t hurt anything on my end. I have another job to go to mid December just waiting till after my security interview so I don’t have to come back
Sending it wont affect you in any way. All they do is update your address and that's it. I dont think they do anything with the employment information.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 am
jwlong wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 am
Zedlinka wrote:

Sending it wont affect you in any way. All they do is update your address and that's it. I dont think they do anything with the employment information.
Haha ok phew 😰 was worried there for a second. I’m a very honest person and am so dedicated to this and the process. Im very driven and want it bad just like I’m sure others are so I didn’t want to do anything to slow downs the process as it’s a long one. But have decided to stick here until the interview is over.
Thanks for the information I really do appreciate it
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 am

jwlong wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am
Def honest in every way. Was just curious to whether I should say it now or when I start is all.
I believe there's no requirement to advise HR about job change, you have to do it only for the address, name, telephone number changes. But it doesn't hurt that you did.

During your integrity interview, do not hide anything.

Good luck !

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 am
jwlong wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am
I believe there's no requirement to advise HR about job change, you have to do it only for the address, name, telephone number changes. But it doesn't hurt that you did.

During your integrity interview, do not hide anything.

Good luck !
Thanks for the information it did mention stuff about employment so I figured I should.
Can’t wait for the interview I have nothing to his and prob to honest sometimes haha

But thanks
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am

I have a question for people who have attended Rigaud. I know that they give you $125 per week while at the college, but did you find this was enough to live off when you were there? I know it will vary based off of each persons different circumstances (mortgage, car payments, etc.) but I'm just wondering if that was enough to cover day-to-day expenses there. If not, roughly how much more did you spend while you were there? Thanks in advance.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

A North

Postby A North » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am
I have a question for people who have attended Rigaud. I know that they give you $125 per week while at the college, but did you find this was enough to live off when you were there? I know it will vary based off of each persons different circumstances (mortgage, car payments, etc.) but I'm just wondering if that was enough to cover day-to-day expenses there. If not, roughly how much more did you spend while you were there? Thanks in advance.
I'm nowhere near going off to the college but I do know that your room and board at Rigaud is fully paid for by CBSA; you aren't paying for housing, meals, utilities, wifi, gym access, etcetera. All the allowance really does is provide some form of income while you're at Rigaud since you probably won't have any other money coming in. It all depends on what your financial situation is; I've seen a lot of people on here say they're more skeptical about going to Rigaud because it's not enough money at all to cover family expenses, student loans and mortgages and a lot of people get turned off by not being paid for full time away from home training. It's a tough situation for sure, I don't even know how I'll manage myself if I have to start paying back my loans in full force before going to the college.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Corrections in 2019 started paying around 400$ per week, who knows, maybe CBSA will surprise the new recruits with similar changes in 2020.

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 pm

A North wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am
I'm nowhere near going off to the college but I do know that your room and board at Rigaud is fully paid for by CBSA; you aren't paying for housing, meals, utilities, wifi, gym access, etcetera. All the allowance really does is provide some form of income while you're at Rigaud since you probably won't have any other money coming in. It all depends on what your financial situation is; I've seen a lot of people on here say they're more skeptical about going to Rigaud because it's not enough money at all to cover family expenses, student loans and mortgages and a lot of people get turned off by not being paid for full time away from home training. It's a tough situation for sure, I don't even know how I'll manage myself if I have to start paying back my loans in full force before going to the college.
I have been trying to save as much as I could to build a cushion for those 4 -5 months. I am fortunate that my wife just got a full-time job so we will be able to just cover cost of living while I am away (if I ever get invited. So close yet so far lol). I am still planning to withdraw some of my rrsp money just in case to have some extra cash flow. Hope it doesn't come to that but you gotta do what you gotta do.

BTW anyone else got invited for Feb in Rigaud?
Wondering if Feb is gone for those of us waiting....
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/2020 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:37 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm
Corrections in 2019 started paying around 400$ per week, who knows, maybe CBSA will surprise the new recruits with similar changes in 2020.
Key difference is that CSC is short staffed and doesn't get many applicants per year, whereas CBSA gets over 20,000 applicants/year for 200-300 positions MAX. CBSA doesn't need to pay more because people apply anyways.

Supply and Demand
Correctional Peace Officer