GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jumb34t

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Jumb34t » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 am

avee905 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 pm
Jumb34t wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 am

Same, did mine on friday. Good luck!
Any news on your end yet?
No, not yet :/
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep 18
OTEE: Oct 18 77.5%
Interview: Apr 19
PARE: Aug 19
Psych Eval: Oct 19
Psych Interview: Nov 19
Sec Doc sent: Jan 20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar 20
Med Eval: May 20
Sec Interview: TBD

acalantas
Rookie Member

Re: No more public talk?

Postby acalantas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I have applied for the CBSA Student Border Services Officer position for Summer 2020. I have just recently received an email for the Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE). As stated in the email, it says to confirm my participation by returning the attached Excel document (there is no excel attachment, rather a 5x2 chart stating selection process number, position title, etc...), by email to: regional inbox.

I am just wondering what "Excel document" they are referring to, and what email they are referring to by "regional inbox"?

May sound like stupid questions, but I really do not want to mess this up!

TYIA
AC

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey everyone.

Just something I noticed when I ran my PARE.

If you're near the end of the process and havent ran your PARE yet, I would definitely get on that.

Somewhere in around when you get your request to submit your Security Clearance. Its valid for 18 months, so get it done.

I put mine off because I figured I would have a long wait ahead of me however my timeline jumped ahead drastically, far before I was expecting; and as such I had 2 weeks to get my PARE done to be considered for winter intake.. Now I was fairly confident in being able to complete it successfully however of the 12 that ran it 6 failed and I didnt think they would fail based on physical appearance (why to not judge a book by its cover :P).

I saw a lot of panic and heartbreak because now they were up the creek so to speak because there were no other open spots to take it again prior to their PARE due dates, unless they wanted to go A LONG ways from home or out of province. DO NOT put yourself in that situation. The Push/Pull alone killed 5 of the 6 applicants. All made it through the laps no problem but got to the push pull and were absolutely gassed. My saving grace is Im 6' and 190lbs so I had the upper body to carry me through that however after running the 6 laps I felt half as strong as normal by the time I got to the P/P, but all the rest were on the smaller side and unfortunately it was too much. Especially if youre a petite female.

It took a lot of people by surprise so if you havent upped your cardio and resistance training in the months prior to doing the PARE (I would say bench press and rowing machine would help your push pull) I would get on that.

So much sadness and it was really too bad. Dont have the stress of one test after getting through the entire process keep you from your dream.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:19 pm
Hey everyone.

If you're near the end of the process and havent ran your PARE yet, I would definitely get on that.

Somewhere in around when you get your request to submit your Security Clearance. Its valid for 18 months, so get it done.

I put mine off because I figured I would have a long wait ahead of me however my timeline jumped ahead drastically, far before I was expecting; and as such I had 2 weeks to get my PARE done to be considered for winter intake.. Now I was fairly confident in being able to complete it successfully however of the 12 that ran it 6 failed and I didnt think they would fail based on physical appearance (why to not judge a book by its cover :P).

I saw a lot of panic and heartbreak because now they were up the creek so to speak because there were no other open spots to take it again prior to their PARE due dates, unless they wanted to go A LONG ways from home or out of province. DO NOT put yourself in that situation. The Push/Pull alone killed 5 of the 6 applicants. All made it through the laps no problem but got to the push pull and were absolutely gassed. My saving grace is Im 6' and 190lbs so I had the upper body to carry me through that however after running the 6 laps I felt half as strong as normal by the time I got to the P/P, but all the rest were on the smaller side and unfortunately it was too much. Especially if youre a petite female.

It took a lot of people by surprise so if you havent upped your cardio and resistance training in the months prior to doing the PARE (I would say bench press and rowing machine would help your push pull) I would get on that.

So much sadness and it was really too bad. Dont have the stress of one test after getting through the entire process keep you from your dream.
Nicely said, but procrastinators will keep procrastinating, it's stronger than them, lol.

I recall PARE reminders in emails from very early in the process.

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Hey everyone.

Hi Kevlar, that is good advise.
Last month CBSA told me renew my Pare on Friday I went online and found the Mohawk College one in Hamilton ON booked it for next day Saturday and passed it. If I wasn't for that I would have had to wait a weeks for another location in Brampton as Hamilton one is once a month only. Anything can happen while you wait injuries sickness etc....
Long story short if you feel prepared physically go for it or pay for the practice run to get a feel for the circuit.
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/20 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/2020 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Emak wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 pm
Kevlar wrote:
Hey everyone.

Last month CBSA told me renew my Pare on Friday I went online and found the Mohawk College one in Hamilton ON booked it for next day Saturday and passed it. If I wasn't for that I would have had to wait a weeks for another location in Brampton as Hamilton one is once a month only. Anything can happen while you wait injuries sickness etc....
Long story short if you feel prepared physically go for it or pay for the practice run to get a feel for the circuit.
I went to Mohawk College for a practice run before, I believe the gentleman whose name is Dennis, he is such a great guy who can give you great advice about how to run the test better.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Jpoirier
Rookie Member

Postby Jpoirier » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Hey everyone,

I go for my PARE testing in just over a month. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to prepare better for the test. Also, how did everyone find the test when they did it? I worry i don’t have enough time to prepare but i also am quite active with some good strength. Mostly i’m worried about the vault portion so any tips on that would be great. If anything i would say my cardio could improve the most so i plan to focus on that a lot in training the next month. Thanks for the tips!

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Jpoirier wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm
Hey everyone,

I go for my PARE testing in just over a month. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to prepare better for the test. Also, how did everyone find the test when they did it? I worry i don’t have enough time to prepare but i also am quite active with some good strength. Mostly i’m worried about the vault portion so any tips on that would be great. If anything i would say my cardio could improve the most so i plan to focus on that a lot in training the next month. Thanks for the tips!
Check on YouTube, there are so many tips you can find from there. Also, there was a previous posting regarding how to prepare for the pare. You will have enough time if you do your best to prepare for it. I had less than a month to prepare for pare and pin test, and passed both. You can do that too. Good luck!
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm

Oh and if anyone hasnt gotten their PAL prior to applying get that done immediately. Wait times can be anywhere between 45 days and 6 months or more depending on the province youre in. Big backlogs in Ontario so I have heard.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm
Oh and if anyone hasnt gotten their PAL prior to applying get that done immediately. Wait times can be anywhere between 45 days and 6 months or more depending on the province youre in. Big backlogs in Ontario so I have heard.
The actual RPAL is not a requirement to get the invite. Completion of the courses is required only.

But ultimately is great to have it for sure.

Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:47 am

kellylihomes wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm
Emak wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 pm
Kevlar wrote:
Hey everyone.

I went to Mohawk College for a practice run before, I believe the gentleman whose name is Dennis, he is such a great guy who can give you great advice about how to run the test better.

So true Dennis is amazing. His clinics teach you to pace yourself but also his enthusiasm and patients are key. Great guy. He will actually work with you on any day that works for you. Last year in October I did the pare and failed by 3 seconds cause of a violation I had. He didn’t have another pare till December. I received an email telling me to complete by November 29th to be considered for the winter intake. He did the course for me on November 25th and he said if I didn’t pass he would work with me to get it done by that time frame. Needless to say I passed the second time not burning myself out in the first three laps with Dennis’ help.

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 pm

For PAREs in the Greater Vancouver area/ Lower Mainland, there is a company called LEPAT. You can run practice tests and you can also do your official test there. They are done on a weekly basis, in Abbotsford. Spots usually fill up 1-2 weeks in advance mind you so you have to keep that in mind

For personal PARE tips, I'd would highly recommend a practice run. Even if you do it once, your official time will be lower almost guaranteed. I've never met somebody who ran a practice test, who didn't do better on the official one.

Secondly,

For those of us who didn't get the e-mail for the January class, does anyone know when the next classes are expected to start in Quebec?

Cheers,
RCMP APPLICANT-
July19 Application Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Medical Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Medical Clearance Granted
Nov19 SC papers submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int
Feb20 Rit Int
Mar 20 Poly

Troop:TBD

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Re: No more public talk?

Postby CaptainMarvel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:17 pm

acalantas wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:18 pm
Good afternoon everyone,

I have applied for the CBSA Student Border Services Officer position for Summer 2020. I have just recently received an email for the Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE). As stated in the email, it says to confirm my participation by returning the attached Excel document (there is no excel attachment, rather a 5x2 chart stating selection process number, position title, etc...), by email to: regional inbox.

I am just wondering what "Excel document" they are referring to, and what email they are referring to by "regional inbox"?

May sound like stupid questions, but I really do not want to mess this up!

TYIA
AC
I would email them and let them know that there was no attachment. If they are talking about it in the body of the email, there should be one and was likely just missed/not attached. It has happened before. As for the "Regional Inbox", check the address of the email that sent the info to see if that is it, often they will mention a specific email that turns out to be the one they are sending the information from (such as Recruitment emails). Otherwise it may be indicated in the Excel spreadsheet; or you can always ask them, they are usually quick/helpful with any supplementary info. Hope that helps!
CBSA
Applied: Jan 2019
OTEE: Feb 2019 - results: Mar 2019
Interview: Oct 2019
CFSC/CRFSC: Nov 2019

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm
Great tips Kevlar for the PAL application times and about doing the PARE with time to spare (ha! :mrgreen: ) for retests.

I have also heard mention on here before that the practice PAREs' may almost be as much as (if not the same) cost as the PARE, so worth considering skipping and just going all-out if you think you are ready to try.

And for PAL/RPAL ID, it could be useful at the security stage if you require additional government-issued photo ID that they request.
CBSA
Applied: Jan 2019
OTEE: Feb 2019 - results: Mar 2019
Interview: Oct 2019
CFSC/CRFSC: Nov 2019

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Another no news Friday? :|
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017