GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 am

I asked this before when the old thread was taken down.

I was wondering I don’t mind going anywhere in Canada in saying that. Let’s say I get Vancouver and someone gets say Toronto but they wanted Vancouver Canada two parties simply switch port of entry as long as both parties agree. I only ask because I read of stories on here about people being disappointed about not being able to go home. Just curious if I became close with someone at Rigaud if this is at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

felix1113
Rookie Member

Postby felix1113 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:14 am

Just got an email saying that my application is now reject since i was not a Canadien citizen when applying.... im confused since i am since born :O
Apply: August 18
OTEE: September 18 - PASS
Interview: December 18 - PASS
PARE: January 19- PASS
Psych : April 19 - PASS
Sec papers: Sent April 19
Med Evaluation: May 19 - PASS
Clearance: July 19 - PASS
OITP: February 2020
Rigaud: Unconfirmed

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:41 am

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 am
I asked this before when the old thread was taken down.

I was wondering I don’t mind going anywhere in Canada in saying that. Let’s say I get Vancouver and someone gets say Toronto but they wanted Vancouver Canada two parties simply switch port of entry as long as both parties agree. I only ask because I read of stories on here about people being disappointed about not being able to go home. Just curious if I became close with someone at Rigaud if this is at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can.

You each have to put in a request for a trade and it must be specific to those ports. i.e. Pearson for Vancouver International, vancouver for toronto. It can't be like Vancouver for any east coast or toronto for Alberta. And there's no guarantee you'll get it, either. If more than one person has the same trade, i.e. two of you both have Vancouver International for Pearson and only one person has Pearson for Vancouver international, there will be a draw to see who gets the trade.
Before anyone asks, you can't offer incentives to trade, either.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:41 am

felix1113 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:14 am
Just got an email saying that my application is now reject since i was not a Canadien citizen when applying.... im confused since i am since born :O
The CBSA accidentally rejecting people for weird reasons is pretty common. Email them and hope for an update.

In 2018, 50% of applicants randomly got an email saying their application is no longer being considered since the CBSA is now fully staffed or something weird like that. They fixed it in 5 days.
Correctional Peace Officer

SC_07
Rookie Member

Postby SC_07 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am

Tornelco wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:41 am
felix1113 wrote:
The CBSA accidentally rejecting people for weird reasons is pretty common. Email them and hope for an update.

In 2018, 50% of applicants randomly got an email saying their application is no longer being considered since the CBSA is now fully staffed or something weird like that. They fixed it in 5 days.
That's pretty disconcerting to hear actually.

Hope you hear back and get it all sorted out, Felix.
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (pass)
Int.: Mar 2019 (pass)
Psych Writ. & Int. : July 2019 / Aug 2019 (pass)
SEC. Clear. Sent: Sept 2019
Medical: Nov 2019 (pass)
Integrity Interview: Nov 2019 (granted)
PARE: Sept 2020 (Renewed)
OITP:
RIGAUD:

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:41 am
felix1113 wrote:

Funny story about this, at 06:00 one morning last October I received an email saying I scored 80% on my OTEE. So that obviously started my morning in a great mood. At 13:00 I received another email saying my application was no longer being considered. Definitely went through the two extremes that day. Wasn't over it until 5 days later when I got the correction email.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

A North

Postby A North » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 am

JEagle10 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 am
A North wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm
JEagle10 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Luck of the draw I guess.. I thought being from Ottawa I would be slower too because I know some people that applied in February and still haven’t had their interview
I'm in Ottawa and applied in December 2018, still no word on an interview date. If you don't mind my asking, did you list yourself as bilingual on your application? Also did you get to have your interview in Ottawa or did they make you travel?
I don’t speak one word of french and I’m also quite young.. like I was saying just the luck of the draw I guess! (Or they are trying to finish my group of applicants before getting too far ahead other groups)
Well that's reassuring at least, so thank you for sharing that mate. Were you able to take your interview in Ottawa?
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 am

kellylihomes wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm
I have a question for the people who are waiting for their security clearance,

It states that the security clearance process could take anywhere from 3 month to forever. Have you thought of what if it never come or 2-3 years? Do you keep on waiting or working on a plan B? I am currently in this process for almost 5 month, I keep asking myself this question. To be honest, CBSA is my first and only choice, however what if does not happen? Maybe I am just too negative now. The more time I am waiting for it, the worst it gets.
Hi Kelly

You and I are in the exact same boat and Im feeling the same way. I have a job offer in another province to which i have to move to but am reluctant to do so as I feel the way the security process is that it would only postpone it further which is not what I want.
I did email them asking how it would affect this and if its acceptable and did not get an answer to my question but rather a response of "you are in the 3 to 12 month time line and your security clearance is still ongoing". I emailed them back immediately after getting it asking it again and still nothing about it a week later.
It would be nice to have an actual recruiter to speak to on the phone as this would help very much but that isnt the case. I do not want to put life on hold as I have options but do not want to mess up anything either as I very much want this position and career with the CBSA. I know i have what it takes and I am taking it very seriously but its hard to wait I totally get that and the frustration.
I haven't heard anything basically since June when they lost my pare results and didn't receive my my medical results both and I had to get them again.
I know this is a patient process and Im ok with that but Im just looking for a simple answer to my question and trying to make there work easier.
Your right it is hard waiting but I know both you and i and all the others will hear something on the security soon along with the rest of the process. Its def long but it will be so worth it once we all receive our invites. Dont give up keep waiting and living and one day soon well be doing the training and on the frontline......
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE March 2019:
RPAL: March 2019
OITP:

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:47 am

A North wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 am
JEagle10 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 am
A North wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm in Ottawa and applied in December 2018, still no word on an interview date. If you don't mind my asking, did you list yourself as bilingual on your application? Also did you get to have your interview in Ottawa or did they make you travel?
I don’t speak one word of french and I’m also quite young.. like I was saying just the luck of the draw I guess! (Or they are trying to finish my group of applicants before getting too far ahead other groups)
Well that's reassuring at least, so thank you for sharing that mate. Were you able to take your interview in Ottawa?
Yep! I was able to complete every step in Ottawa
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - Sep 2019
Online: Jan 2020
Rigaud: March 2020

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 am

jwlong wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 am
kellylihomes wrote:

It states that the security clearance process could take anywhere from 3 month to forever. Have you thought of what if it never come or 2-3 years? Do you keep on waiting or working on a plan B? I am currently in this process for almost 5 month, I keep asking myself this question. To be honest, CBSA is my first and only choice, however what if does not happen? Maybe I am just too negative now. The more time I am waiting for it, the worst it gets.
Hi Kelly

You and I are in the exact same boat and Im feeling the same way. I have a job offer in another province to which i have to move to but am reluctant to do so as I feel the way the security process is that it would only postpone it further which is not what I want.
I did email them asking how it would affect this and if its acceptable and did not get an answer to my question but rather a response of "you are in the 3 to 12 month time line and your security clearance is still ongoing". I emailed them back immediately after getting it asking it again and still nothing about it a week later.
It would be nice to have an actual recruiter to speak to on the phone as this would help very much but that isnt the case. I do not want to put life on hold as I have options but do not want to mess up anything either as I very much want this position and career with the CBSA. I know i have what it takes and I am taking it very seriously but its hard to wait I totally get that and the frustration.
I haven't heard anything basically since June when they lost my pare results and didn't receive my my medical results both and I had to get them again.
I know this is a patient process and Im ok with that but Im just looking for a simple answer to my question and trying to make there work easier.
Your right it is hard waiting but I know both you and i and all the others will hear something on the security soon along with the rest of the process. Its def long but it will be so worth it once we all receive our invites. Dont give up keep waiting and living and one day soon well be doing the training and on the frontline......
Thank you for your reply. The only most efficient answer is ‘wait’, it sounds easy. However, with the uncertainty about when that will happen, makes it very hard to follow. Hopefully we will hear back soon. Good luck!
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

hsinom
Veteran Member

Postby hsinom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:47 am

jwlong wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:

Hi Kelly

I would just carry on and accept the job offer you got. I'm still waiting after the last interview and they've told me could take another year
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

waiting001
Rookie Member

Postby waiting001 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 am

hsinom wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:47 am
jwlong wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:

Hi Kelly

I would just carry on and accept the job offer you got. I'm still waiting after the last interview and they've told me could take another year
Took me 2 years to get my clearance.
Applied: 06/2016
Interview: 09/2017
Psych Assessment: 10/2017 + 12/2019
Medical: 11/2017 + 05/2019 + 04/2020
Sec Docs Submitted: 11/2017
PARE: 11/2017 + 10/2019
Sec Interview: 09/2019
Sec Clearance Granted: 10/2019
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 am

kellylihomes wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 am
jwlong wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:

Hi Kelly

Thank you for your reply. The only most efficient answer is ‘wait’, it sounds easy. However, with the uncertainty about when that will happen, makes it very hard to follow. Hopefully we will hear back soon. Good luck!
Yes the uncertain part of waiting for something like we both and others want is definitely the hardest part. Things went so quick in the beginning i guess we just got spoiled some. What meant to be will be and i guess all we can do is trust the process and live till then. Doesn't make is any easier but I think well be fine ;)
keep me posted and ill do the same good luck to you as well
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 am

waiting001 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 am
hsinom wrote:
jwlong wrote:

Hi Kelly

Took me 2 years to get my clearance.
Hopefully this isnt the case for me
PARE March 2019:
OITP:

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am

hsinom wrote:
jwlong wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:

Hi Kelly

I might its just hard not getting any answers really as to how it may or may not affect the process
PARE March 2019:
OITP: