GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Weaken
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Weaken » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:46 pm

I did my psych test exactly 2 weeks ago, and had the follow up with the psychologist a week ago...the anticipation is killing me :((
CBSA
Applied 14-08-2018
OTEE 20-10-2018
Interview 20-03-2019
PARE 13-04-2019
Psyc 04-10-2019
Medical 10-02-2020
Sec. Int 28-04-2020
OITP
Rigaud

hsinom
Veteran Member

Postby hsinom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:40 am

JEagle10 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:15 am
hsinom wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm
Anyone with a similar timeline as mine get a reply about their security clearance?
Damn that sure is a long timeline...

Hope you hear something soon.
I’m starting to Think maybe I got declined security but they probably waiting to send a mailer out in one pile.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 am

hsinom wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:40 am
JEagle10 wrote:
hsinom wrote:
Anyone with a similar timeline as mine get a reply about their security clearance?

I’m starting to Think maybe I got declined security but they probably waiting to send a mailer out in one pile.
My friend don't be discouraged. Few months ago I was thinking the same thing. I went to a job fair where CBSA had a booth. I told the guy how long I've been on the application and still waiting for the clearance to come back. He said ''sometimes no news is good news as you are still in the running''. So be patient, be diligent when you get a reply, and enjoy yourself during the process! 👍.
Have a great weekend all!
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/2020 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

Besidehello
Rookie Member

Postby Besidehello » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:15 am

hsinom wrote:
JEagle10 wrote:
hsinom wrote:

I don’t think they send mailer , since from the beginning they are contacting us by email ? I’m waiting for my clearance since February 2019 and it’s a pretty long waiting game ...

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:17 am

SC_07 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:30 pm
Every now and then, in response to those who are playing the waiting game and getting restless, one of the best pieces of advice I've ever read was on these forums. And that is:

Live your life.
You'll torture yourself if you're constantly waiting by the phone/checking your emails 100 times a day (although it can't be helped). Work, volunteer, continue to do what ever that is you do. Keep plugging in. Take whatever opportunities that come your way, and enjoy any small victories you can, as the big ones are few and far in between. Take that vacation, accept that offer, and always enjoy the company of the friends and family you have. Because you never know. Life happens. And it may or may not take you to different places.

Of course, I often like to remind myself if this, cuz I get restless too lol.

Keep plugging in, and eventually, greatness will come.
This is a great post SC-07. Thanks for the encouregement!
Best of luck to you in the process!
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/2020 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 am

Boomboom72 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 pm
kellylihomes wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:58 pm
I heard from a friend that new recruits need to do PARE in Rigaud, and have to finish within shorter period time comparing to the passing point. Could someone verify it for me? I appreciate your help.
Unless this is new I actually heard the opposite... I heard that the PARE was ran on a few occasions during your time in Rigaud but that they were not considered official / Pass or Fail... I would also like to confirm this from a recent recruit / BSO for sure ;)
Something I can chime in on;
You'll do the PARE the first week you're there, probably Thursday or Friday.
They want you to pass. You are expected to pass. Nothing happens if you don't pass.
I was sick with the flu the first week (fun fact I think I got the entire college sick. Sorry folks.) anyway, I failed with a score of 4:48. Three seconds off a pass.
They want you to do better on your second try the last week of the program. Again, if you fail, nothing happens.
Note this next part is speculation; But I think the fitness group that has the contract for the fitness program is trying to show results to prove their program works. By measuring a baseline when you get there to seeing where you're at at the end.
And on another note, the fitness program is very much centered towards people who don't attend the gym much. It worked for me because I don't enjoy the gym, but I recall those more expereinced than I had difficulty putting effort into it.
Hope that answers your question.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:44 am

Watching you guys get excited and checking your email reminds me of me a year ago. The speculation and second guessing is extremely normal.

Those of you waiting for your clearance, I sent my papers in Nov. 17, had my Sec. Interview May 18, and clearance granted Aug. 18. If you didn't disclose anything concerning, I'd say you're probably good. It just takes awhile sometimes. I knew people with longer timelines than me (time between application and graduation was 3 years 3 months.

Patience is key. If you're concerned about plan a, b, c-z, relax. If this is what you want, stick with it. There's no need to put your life on hold as a result. As quoted earlier, take your vacation, spend time with family and friends, etc. In my three year application, I had four jobs, one of which showed potential to be a career. But I gave it up to do this because ultimately, this is what I wanted. This was my goal. As long as you and your partners, kids, etc. have an understanding of what it entails (wait time, etc) you'll be fine.

For those of you who have (and will) get invites for the winter intake, my best piece of advice for you is to take time off for the holidays. Spend that time with the people you care about, because you could very well get placed somewhere you won't be able to return home from next year.

Keep calm, breathe, and really, just have some fun.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 am
Boomboom72 wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:
I heard from a friend that new recruits need to do PARE in Rigaud, and have to finish within shorter period time comparing to the passing point. Could someone verify it for me? I appreciate your help.
Unless this is new I actually heard the opposite... I heard that the PARE was ran on a few occasions during your time in Rigaud but that they were not considered official / Pass or Fail... I would also like to confirm this from a recent recruit / BSO for sure ;)
They want you to pass. You are expected to pass. Nothing happens if you don't pass.
I was sick with the flu the first week (fun fact I think I got the entire college sick. Sorry folks.) anyway, I failed with a score of 4:48. Three seconds off a pass.
They want you to do better on your second try the last week of the program. Again, if you fail, nothing happens.
Note this next part is speculation; But I think the fitness group that has the contract for the fitness program is trying to show results to prove their program works. By measuring a baseline when you get there to seeing where you're at at the end.
And on another note, the fitness program is very much centered towards people who don't attend the gym much. It worked for me because I don't enjoy the gym, but I recall those more expereinced than I had difficulty putting effort into it.
Thank you very much for your help!
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Need advice from someone in the field.

Context: one job I have is saying they may terminate my contract because I have not been working enough. I have a grievance filed through union on it but there’s nothing stopping them from terminating the contract and grievance taking its time post termination. The company is saying I took no work calls in a two month span yet during this span, I worked a two week assignment for them and have pay stubs to prove it 🙄. They also said for subsequent two months, I worked 2 of 9 call ins only (not acceptable to company) but I had vacation during two of these weeks and received 5 calls during my vacation. So I worked 2 of 4 (acceptable to union).

Question: is it better to just resign so it does not show as terminated for a background check for cbsa/rcmp or go through the grievance process potentially having a terminated contract against me for a background check, but explain circumstance when likely brought up?

Note I work another part time job too so I have something to fall back on.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Context: one job I have is saying they may terminate my contract because I have not been working enough. I have a grievance filed through union on it but there’s nothing stopping them from terminating the contract and grievance taking its time post termination. The company is saying I took no work calls in a two month span yet during this span, I worked a two week assignment for them and have pay stubs to prove it 🙄. They also said for subsequent two months, I worked 2 of 9 call ins only (not acceptable to company) but I had vacation during two of these weeks and received 5 calls during my vacation. So I worked 2 of 4 (acceptable to union).

Question: is it better to just resign so it does not show as terminated for a background check for cbsa/rcmp or go through the grievance process potentially having a terminated contract against me for a background check, but explain circumstance when likely brought up?

There's context missing here I think so I can't speak on it really.

But, what I will say is I don't recall being asked much about my employment history. I had four or five different jobs going through the CBSA application process and it was never questioned. You're probably more likely to be questioned on gaps in employment rather than anything else.
I had a similar position, where I was rocking a contract and a PT job. I fell back on the PT job because, straight up, it was less stressful and I wanted a little bit of stress free living prior to going to Rigaud. But I also knew I was going to Rigaud. If you're not at a stage in which you're certain you're going... I'd be careful not to endanger yourself financially, as Rigaud will do that to you anyway.

BSO

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:18 pm
Suikoden wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm

There's context missing here I think so I can't speak on it really.

But, what I will say is I don't recall being asked much about my employment history. I had four or five different jobs going through the CBSA application process and it was never questioned. You're probably more likely to be questioned on gaps in employment rather than anything else.
I had a similar position, where I was rocking a contract and a PT job. I fell back on the PT job because, straight up, it was less stressful and I wanted a little bit of stress free living prior to going to Rigaud. But I also knew I was going to Rigaud. If you're not at a stage in which you're certain you're going... I'd be careful not to endanger yourself financially, as Rigaud will do that to you anyway.
For the 2 of 9 one, HR messed up and didn’t take my number out of the system for oncalls hence the five calls. They also can’t go back to change it. The manager who sends these letters out only looks at numbers and don’t know about this hence having to go through union. I just don’t want it to show up as a negative if contract gets terminated is all.

Thanks for the answer though on your experience. Maybe I’ll just let it go through process rather than resign if it won’t be looked at as a big deal!
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 am
Boomboom72 wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:
Thank you so much for the insight.. this is along the lines of what inhad heard as well... but definately feels good to have it confirmed :)
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:23 pm

hsinom wrote:
JEagle10 wrote:
hsinom wrote:

Clearance can take a year or more everybody is different, I heard back 3 days after my interview, but I was told my background check was done before my interview even started then others have waited months to get the green light, youll get it! If they haven’t said no yet it can’t be a bad thing
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - Sep 2019
Online: Jan 2020
Rigaud: March 2020

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 pm
VikingsMoss84 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:29 pm
I just received an email that states I am ready for OITP invites which will be going out for November and December.

To all waiting good luck and hopefully I see some of you at Rigaud soon enough.
When were you granted security clearance?

I was granted security clearance in May
So you got an email saying you’re ready for invites? You didn’t actually get an invite?
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - Sep 2019
Online: Jan 2020
Rigaud: March 2020

Boxto
Rookie Member

Postby Boxto » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:30 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 pm
Boxto wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:10 am
JEagle10 wrote:

to have (
Woah! what about YOUR time line Jeagle10! Your are on the fast track, for sure! :D The invite is coming soon!
Hey Box, I see your PARE sig finally got upgraded from you "working on it!!", congrats and hope your next stage is soon!

Hey! Captain! :D You don't miss one!! You are SO right! My PARE is ...done!! What a relief..The old man finally made it! After a year of proper training and 3 practice run, i decided to go for the real test on october 8. I would say it was one of the greatest achievement in my life (top 5?) At my age, and at the physical condition that i used to have, I improved a looot ! Now, like many others here...i'm waiting for my security clearance. I'm also waiting for the medical evaluation and..the SLE. It is another big step for me...i would say SLE can be the biggest problem to me to overcome. I don't have any partner to chat with, and improve my english.
CBSA
Applied: Summer 18
OTEE: October 18 pass
Interview: April 19 pass
RPAL : June 19 pass
Psy Eval: July 19 - pass
Psy Interview - Aug 19 pass
PARE: October 19 pass
Sec Clear - Jan 20 pass
SLE (writ/Read) Feb 20 pass

SLE (oral) tbd
Medical tbd