GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

king
Regular Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:11 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby king » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm

CBSAVALLEE wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 pm
Hi guys !
I finally received an email about my security back ground check. They work on my security file BUT PDF files submitted in 2018 are no longer accepted and a new updated online form is required.
I was wondering if one of you had the same situation. Plus, the new form don't have the reference part.
I wrote an email to them asking why I am not able to see the reference part but they will probably answer me back next week. Just curious.

Thanks!
8)
References aren’t required for a Secret clearance.

veteran9750
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby veteran9750 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 pm

essdee wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm
I’m still anxiously waiting for an interview after applying during the Jan-Feb 2019 process. My question is, if the next selection process gets posted before I’m offered an interview - would it make sense for me to apply to that process as well?

Does anyone know if they interview all the people who were successful in the OTEE from a previous process before conducting interviews in a new selection process?

I’m trying my best to understand the process and this forum has truly been helpful with everyone sharing their experiences. I wish there was a way to predict each step better so we could plan our life accordingly.
I'm still waiting for an interview date as well from that same posting cycle. My confusion occurs with people getting 2, 3, and 4 interviews while others still wait for 1st.. I thought there was a period to wait before a new interview would be given. I guess there is a loop hole in the system.
Applied - Jan 2019
OTEE - March 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - June 2012
Interview - pending
PARE - ?

Tornelco
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Tornelco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:35 am

veteran9750 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 pm

I'm still waiting for an interview date as well from that same posting cycle. My confusion occurs with people getting 2, 3, and 4 interviews while others still wait for 1st.. I thought there was a period to wait before a new interview would be given. I guess there is a loop hole in the system.
I had to wait 9 months for my first interview invite. In that 9 months, I only had 1 contact with the CBSA and it was to prove that I had my degree.

I only had to wait maybe 6 or 7 weeks for my 2nd attempt at the interview.

There's no rhyme or reason to this recruiting process. I can't imagine the complexity of processing 20,000 applications from 10 provinces and 3 territories, all with their own little sub-regions. Just gotta hurry up and wait, hope for the luck of the draw.

essdee
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:30 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby essdee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 am

Hi Tornelco,

Did you apply to a different selection process and then get offered your second interview? Or did you get multiple interviews within the same selection process...

Also in between your interviews that were 6-7 weeks apart, did another selection process open for which you were invited to interview again?
Tornelco wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:35 am
veteran9750 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 pm

I'm still waiting for an interview date as well from that same posting cycle. My confusion occurs with people getting 2, 3, and 4 interviews while others still wait for 1st.. I thought there was a period to wait before a new interview would be given. I guess there is a loop hole in the system.
I had to wait 9 months for my first interview invite. In that 9 months, I only had 1 contact with the CBSA and it was to prove that I had my degree.

I only had to wait maybe 6 or 7 weeks for my 2nd attempt at the interview.

There's no rhyme or reason to this recruiting process. I can't imagine the complexity of processing 20,000 applications from 10 provinces and 3 territories, all with their own little sub-regions. Just gotta hurry up and wait, hope for the luck of the draw.
Selection Process: Feb 2019
OTEE: March 2019 - passed

Tornelco
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Tornelco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 am

essdee wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 am
Hi Tornelco,

Did you apply to a different selection process and then get offered your second interview? Or did you get multiple interviews within the same selection process...

Also in between your interviews that were 6-7 weeks apart, did another selection process open for which you were invited to interview again?
Hi, they were different selection processes.

I applied in April 2018 for the opening and had my interview in December 2018, for which I was unsuccessful. I was able to reapply for the next process that opened up in January or February 2019 I think. I had my interview in May and I was successful.

ayeness
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ayeness » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 am

CNYEG wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm
ayeness wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm
Hi Everyone
Just a question for those who have been through this application process, as this is my first time applying so I dont know what to expect from here.
I just received the news that I have been successful in my interview, and that the next step is to do the psych eval which ill hear about in about a month.
my question is, when is the best time to do the PARE and the restricted firearm license? i know PARE is only good for 18 months, and sometimes the security clearance can take quite a long time, so I dont know whwne to go ahead and get that done. should i start looking into it now? or should i wait a bit longer to make sure that it wont expire before i need it?
also, does the firearm safety certification ever expire? can this be done at any point?
Thanks for the advice
Congrats on your interview! What region are you from?
I am from southern Ontario.

Highland2012
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:48 pm

I applied in December 2016 and I am still waiting for my initial security screening interview.

Luck of the draw has A LOT to do with it lol.

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanadianQuackers » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Isn't each step a pool based process? If that's the case, it could be based on competitiveness as opposed to the RCMP which sees people through the entire process, if I am not mistaken. I think someone mentioned this a while back when people were having a similar discussion. Someone chimed in (from the CBSA) and said that's why some people sit in the same stage for a longer time than others.

CBSAVALLEE
Rookie Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CBSAVALLEE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:34 pm

king wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm
CBSAVALLEE wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 pm
Hi guys !
I finally received an email about my security back ground check. They work on my security file BUT PDF files submitted in 2018 are no longer accepted and a new updated online form is required.
I was wondering if one of you had the same situation. Plus, the new form don't have the reference part.
I wrote an email to them asking why I am not able to see the reference part but they will probably answer me back next week. Just curious.

Thanks!
8)
References aren’t required for a Secret clearance.
True! That's what they told me this morning. But still, I was worried because last year it was required on paperwork. But thanks for your answer :)
:)

Catlady
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Catlady » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:37 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Isn't each step a pool based process? If that's the case, it could be based on competitiveness as opposed to the RCMP which sees people through the entire process, if I am not mistaken. I think someone mentioned this a while back when people were having a similar discussion. Someone chimed in (from the CBSA) and said that's why some people sit in the same stage for a longer time than others.
It's actually an inventory as opposed to a pool. Inventories stay open and can be added to whereas pools are established at the end of a selection process, cannot be added to, and have an expiration date. The job posting actually states that a top down selection and/or random selection may be applied at any stage of the selection process. So they may utilise top down for one part of the process and use random selection in the next, random selection for the entire process, or top/down for the entire process.
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
OTEE - February 2019 (pass)
Interview - April 2019 (pass)
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019 (pass)
PARE - June 2019 (pass)

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanadianQuackers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:32 am

Catlady wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:37 pm
CanadianQuackers wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Isn't each step a pool based process? If that's the case, it could be based on competitiveness as opposed to the RCMP which sees people through the entire process, if I am not mistaken. I think someone mentioned this a while back when people were having a similar discussion. Someone chimed in (from the CBSA) and said that's why some people sit in the same stage for a longer time than others.
It's actually an inventory as opposed to a pool. Inventories stay open and can be added to whereas pools are established at the end of a selection process, cannot be added to, and have an expiration date. The job posting actually states that a top down selection and/or random selection may be applied at any stage of the selection process. So they may utilise top down for one part of the process and use random selection in the next, random selection for the entire process, or top/down for the entire process.
Thank you for the clarification! That’s what it was, I knew it was something similar to that.

User avatar
CanBr19
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanBr19 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:31 pm

.....

JEagle10
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JEagle10 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 am

JDube wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:26 pm
Just received my interview results. I was successful. :D

Process is going much faster than I expected reading the forum and with my previous attempt 3 years ago. Let's hope it continues this way!
I had a buddy who did his interview last november / december and is still waiting for his pysch lets hope that doesn’t happen to you 😂
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Security interview - TBD

Catlady
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Catlady » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:09 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:32 am
Catlady wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:37 pm
CanadianQuackers wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Isn't each step a pool based process? If that's the case, it could be based on competitiveness as opposed to the RCMP which sees people through the entire process, if I am not mistaken. I think someone mentioned this a while back when people were having a similar discussion. Someone chimed in (from the CBSA) and said that's why some people sit in the same stage for a longer time than others.
It's actually an inventory as opposed to a pool. Inventories stay open and can be added to whereas pools are established at the end of a selection process, cannot be added to, and have an expiration date. The job posting actually states that a top down selection and/or random selection may be applied at any stage of the selection process. So they may utilise top down for one part of the process and use random selection in the next, random selection for the entire process, or top/down for the entire process.
Thank you for the clarification! That’s what it was, I knew it was something similar to that.
You’re welcome! I’ve been a part of a few Federal Job selection processes so am a bit familiar with how they work. The main thing that I learned though is that they are never predictable and you have to have a lot of patience, lol!
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
OTEE - February 2019 (pass)
Interview - April 2019 (pass)
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019 (pass)
PARE - June 2019 (pass)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], hsinom, Husky, Mussa99 and 6 guests