GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
MikeMass93
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby MikeMass93 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Lame0024 wrote:
Did you have to submit proof of your CFSC and CFRSC? On the invitation to the interview email its one of the listed documents to bring.(but I'm a bit confused if this is only for applicants that indicated that they are already certified)idk. now I think I will only have CFSC before the interview date. I'm scheduled to participate in the first course on Saturday..

Thanks

This only applies to the candidates who indicated on their application that they completed both the CFSC & CRFSC. If you didn't indicate that you had taken and passed the courses, there is no need for you to bring the paperwork related to the PAL.

If you have your results in hand before your interview (usually takes a while), I would bring a photocopy simply to let them know that you've started the process.

I had indicated that I already owned my PAL and passed the courses on my application, therefore I had to bring my PAL original and photocopy.
CBSA Process
OITP - February 2020
Rigaud - April 2020

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:19 pm

MikeMass93 wrote:
Lame0024 wrote:
Did you have to submit proof of your CFSC and CFRSC? On the invitation to the interview email its one of the listed documents to bring.(but I'm a bit confused if this is only for applicants that indicated that they are already certified)idk. now I think I will only have CFSC before the interview date. I'm scheduled to participate in the first course on Saturday..

Thanks

This only applies to the candidates who indicated on their application that they completed both the CFSC & CRFSC. If you didn't indicate that you had taken and passed the courses, there is no need for you to bring the paperwork related to the PAL.

I had indicated that I already owned my PAL and passed the courses on my application, therefore I had to bring my PAL original and photocopy.

"3. Firearms safety courses
You must complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) and pass the tests before you begin training. You do not need a possession and acquisition license (PAL)."

Once you have completed the CFSC & CRFSC courses you will be given your course report. You can bring the original along with a photocopy to your interview. You do NOT need you PAL. If you indicated on your application that you already had your CFSC & CRFSC Then you must bring the originals and a copy, however if you have successfully completed the courses since your application, it wouldn't hurt to bring the original and a copy. These are required to be obtained before training starts but you don't have to have them completed before the interview.
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

samdum
Rookie Member

Postby samdum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm

It depends on the process. Small comunities and older processes/posts needed the firearm courses! :D since the processes with the OTEE, the firearms course are needed before the online portion if I'm correct
Quebec applicant
05/2018 Application for small communities
07/2018 Choice of three districts
08/2018 PARE
11/2018 Proof of meeting the requirements

08/2018 Application for the regular process
09/2018 OTEE (results: 31/10/2018)
10/2019 interview

JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Anybody who gots in the 80's on the OTEE get an interview date yet?
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

Racer_2
Rookie Member

Postby Racer_2 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

vanessa11 wrote:
umar99 wrote:
Did you apply to the Regular posting where you had to the write the OTEE exam? also for anyone who can answer this question, do they have training in Riguad in winter or is it only in the summer time?

Hi! There are 6 intakes per year : January, February, March, June, July and August :)

That's in an ideal hiring context at almost full capacity though.
QC Applicant CBSA
Applied - Jan 15th 2018
SLE - Done already
GTC2 & WCPT - Feb 18
PARE - April 18
Interview - May 18
Sec. Forms - May 18
Psych - May 18
Medical - June 18
Sec. Int - November 18
OITP - February 18th 2019
Rigaud 13D - April 8th 2019

Lame0024
Rookie Member

Postby Lame0024 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 am

JeanFrancois wrote:Anybody who gots in the 80's on the OTEE get an interview date yet?

I think percentages on the exams are irrelevant to when your interview date will be. They are not going from high to low grades or vice versa.

mike_lebel
Rookie Member

Postby mike_lebel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 am

JeanFrancois wrote:Anybody who gots in the 80's on the OTEE get an interview date yet?

Nope, I know some did.
Applied: September 2018
OTEE: October 14th
OTEE results: October 31st (passed)
Interview: ?
PARE: ?
Psych test: ?

MikeMass93
Rookie Member

Postby MikeMass93 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 am

Lame0024 wrote:

I think percentages on the exams are irrelevant to when your interview date will be. They are not going from high to low grades or vice versa.

I agree, someone on these forums had mentioned that the Interview was dependent on the availability of your local CBSA staff and not based on OTEE results.
CBSA Process
OITP - February 2020
Rigaud - April 2020

JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Lame0024 wrote:

I disagree, if that was the case the powers that would be would not disclose your score and it would simply be a pass or fail scenario, a direct example of this is ATS testing, it's also a pass or fail for Ontario Corrections and they do not disclose scoring results. The military does not also disclose your scoring results
(Any test in my opinion that does not disclose your test results lack integrity)

It's simple, a few of the applicants of this forum who have applied to the CBSA and had almost perfect on their testing have had their interview already or have had a date scheduled. Recruitment has always been top down; hence why I was a f-up when I was a young adult and I've been actively working to fix it over the last few years and become a top quality candidate..... I can only imagine what my FPS number says....

I agree that a local recruiter availability undoubtedly plays a part in the application process; but the CBSA is a national organization, I am in London, Ontario and would have no problem travelling to Toronto for an interview.
in relation to my direct application; I specified I almost willing to go over all over Canada; I am bilingual and a visible minority and with a decent test score, I have 3 years of college, I Own a successful business for four years, have a full-time job and continue my educational development part-time and now I volunteer, recently starting training to become my union steward, I do not drink,smoke anything, engage in any criminal element or associate people who criminal elements to them, I only associate with career professionals. (Man I am boring!) but my sense of humor, and nonsense approach to things pay dividends.

Trust me scoring means alot more then some people think in the early stages...
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:18 pm

mike_lebel wrote:
Nope, I know some did.

True Mike, I'd like to hear from anybody who got in the 80s if they have an interview date, anybody else here from London ontario applying?
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

jordan33
Rookie Member

Postby jordan33 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Hey guys,

first time poster. I happen to be one of the lucky few who received an invitation to OITP November 26 and Riguad January 14. However, upon submitting my acceptance, it was stated that there would be a follow up email from the school with instructions for OITP (registration etc.) has anyone received any updates since their initial invitation?

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Just got told yesterday that I am invited for interview! Should be interesting!

mike_lebel
Rookie Member

Postby mike_lebel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:28 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
mike_lebel wrote:
Nope, I know some did.

True Mike, I'd like to hear from anybody who got in the 80s if they have an interview date, anybody else here from London ontario applying?
Hey Jean François, Im in the 60%, so keep me posted. We'll know if it's based on OTEE scores or officers availaibility.

mike_lebel
Rookie Member

Postby mike_lebel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Snow_Man wrote:Just got told yesterday that I am invited for interview! Should be interesting!
Hey good job! What was your OTEE score?

MikeMass93
Rookie Member

Postby MikeMass93 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:40 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
mike_lebel wrote:
Nope, I know some did.

90% on the OTEE here, I was contacted for an interview 2 weeks after submitting the test (first week of October) and just received my results for the OTEE & Interview roughly 5 business days later.

I'm from Ottawa, Ontario.
CBSA Process
OITP - February 2020
Rigaud - April 2020