GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JeanFrancois » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 pm

I got this email on October 18th, 2018

October 18, 2018

Selection Process Number:
18-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-007
Position Title:
CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program
Group and Level:
FB-02
Language:

English Essential or Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB

Dear applicant,

Please be advised that you will receive your official Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE) results written for the above-mentioned selection process in the upcoming weeks. We thank you for your patience.

Yours sincerely,
 Electronically signed by

Officer Recruitment Program / Human Resources Branch
Canada Border Services Agency / Government of Canada
National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

Racer_2
Rookie Member

Postby Racer_2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Got an invite for the security interview. Seems I'm the first one here that applied in 2018 to be that far.
QC Applicant CBSA
Applied - Jan 15th 2018
SLE - Done already
GTC2 & WCPT - Feb 18
PARE - April 18
Interview - May 18
Sec. Forms - May 18
Psych - May 18
Medical - June 18
Sec. Int - November 18
OITP - February 18th 2019
Rigaud 13D - April 8th 2019

Tontonyouss
Rookie Member

Postby Tontonyouss » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:25 am

artemis17 wrote:
Tontonyouss wrote:Hey guy I have a question and if someone could help me with anything it would be really appreciated! So im in the process since February 2017 when i did my first interview. The thing is that I have sent my security documents on June 2017 and I did my integrity interview on October 2017
And I still don’t have my clearance. The agency said that im still under investigation . I feel like it’s too long. Had you see in the past someone that took him that long to have his clearance?

There is no rhyme or reason why a security clearance takes x amount of time or y amount of time. Each individual is different, has different lives, family, experiences, been to different places so time to complete will vary. No news in this process is good news. If you've been removed from this process you will receive written communication via snail mail. That being said if it's been a substantial amount of time I would contact recruiting to try and hear something incase something did in fact fall through the cracks to be safe. Unfortunately one of the biggest obstacles of this process is having extreme patience to move towards the end goal.

Thank you for your help and your answer hope to hear back soon
QC
Interview: 2017.02.10
Psych interview/written: 2017.03/ 2019.02.04
Med: 2017.03.30/2018.12.20
PARE: 2017.05.04/2018.11.24
SLE: 2017.05.31 - 2017.07.19
Security: 2017.06.12
Integrity int : 2017.25.10
OITP: may
Rigaud: 14C July

Mac791
Rookie Member

Postby Mac791 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:40 am

Good evening everyone.

As a hopeful future applicant for the CBSA, I am glad to have found this thread. Nevertheless, I do have a couple questions and concerns.

My situation is a bit different than most and I'll cut straight to the chase. I did not make the best decisions that I could have made growing up and am burdened with a youth criminal record. The crime was non-violent in nature but was still enough for me to do 18 months of probation and some community service. I am 25 years of age now and the access period of the record will be over this summer and the record will be "destroyed" from the court database.

I have tried my very best to be the best citizen I can be since then and I still have the dream to serve this country and do my part in securing our border and keeping Canadians safe in this complicated day and age. I have not been in any more trouble as an adult, but I am still worried that my past record will come back to haunt me even after the access period is over.

For the record, I have no desire to try to hide anything after the record is destroyed and when asked I will be more than willing to fully disclose all major events in my life, positive and negative, regardless of whether or not the record is able is able to be seen on a backround check after the access period. Lying will get me nowhere and I have zero desire to do so.

My main concern is, have I already screwed up my shot at Rigaud? I am well aware that I am competing with hundreds, if not thousands of other applicants. Many of which possess a perfect squeaky clean record. Like I said, I would love the opportunity to be able to serve my country but I do not want to waste the agency's time, nor mine by placing myself in the applicant pool when a mistake I made in my youth has already destroyed any chance I have.

Actions in life have consequences, and I am more than willing to deal with them. If I've already messed up my chance at becoming a BSO or if I still have a shot please let me know your opinions and experiences in cases like this.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated.

Corrections/customs
Rookie Member

Postby Corrections/customs » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:05 am

Anyone know the estimated schedule for upcoming training? I know next Rigaud is expected for Jan, but just wondering if anyone knows the pattern and what would be the intake after that in case I don’t have clearance in time for the November online portion....thanks!
Applied: December 2016
Interview: March 22/17
Psych testing: April 10/17
Psych interview: April 11/17
PARE: May 11/17 and Feb 27/18
Clearances: April 20/17 and Jan 2018
Medical renewal: May 14/18
Security Interview: Nov 1/18
OITP: Jan 21
Rigaud:March 11

Nicholas1989
Rookie Member

Postby Nicholas1989 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 am

This is further to the Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE) you completed for the above-mentioned selection process with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

A pass mark of 60% on each competency was established for this exam.

We are pleased to inform you that you were successful in obtaining a pass mark of 60% in each of the following competencies assessed in the OTEE:

Reasoning Skills;
Client Service Orientation;
Analytical Thinking; and
Writing Skills

In a following e-mail, you will find attached a copy of the Candidate Report with your official results. Please retain these results for future use.

Information available on your performance is limited to the overall rating on the competencies assessed by this exam. No additional information relative to the questions and answers can be discussed or disclosed.We will be in touch with you regarding the next steps.

lets gooooooooooooooo already! hell yeah
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 am

Mac791 wrote:Good evening everyone.

As a hopeful future applicant for the CBSA, I am glad to have found this thread. Nevertheless, I do have a couple questions and concerns.

My situation is a bit different than most and I'll cut straight to the chase. I did not make the best decisions that I could have made growing up and am burdened with a youth criminal record. The crime was non-violent in nature but was still enough for me to do 18 months of probation and some community service. I am 25 years of age now and the access period of the record will be over this summer and the record will be "destroyed" from the court database.

I have tried my very best to be the best citizen I can be since then and I still have the dream to serve this country and do my part in securing our border and keeping Canadians safe in this complicated day and age. I have not been in any more trouble as an adult, but I am still worried that my past record will come back to haunt me even after the access period is over.

For the record, I have no desire to try to hide anything after the record is destroyed and when asked I will be more than willing to fully disclose all major events in my life, positive and negative, regardless of whether or not the record is able is able to be seen on a backround check after the access period. Lying will get me nowhere and I have zero desire to do so.

My main concern is, have I already screwed up my shot at Rigaud? I am well aware that I am competing with hundreds, if not thousands of other applicants. Many of which possess a perfect squeaky clean record. Like I said, I would love the opportunity to be able to serve my country but I do not want to waste the agency's time, nor mine by placing myself in the applicant pool when a mistake I made in my youth has already destroyed any chance I have.

Actions in life have consequences, and I am more than willing to deal with them. If I've already messed up my chance at becoming a BSO or if I still have a shot please let me know your opinions and experiences in cases like this.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated.

I would think you have as good of a chance as anyone else there’s just one thing that sticks out in my mind. You said your willing to talk about your past “if” asked. These careers are based on values, trust, ethics and honesty. It’s up to you to willingly disclose your past. If you don’t, you risk ruining your chances for sure.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

mike_lebel
Rookie Member

Postby mike_lebel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:18 am

Hello guys,

For those who did the OTEE two weeks ago and are wondering when they willl get their results, I received my results with a PDF file with all the details. Just to let you know.

Have a good one folks!
Applied: September 2018
OTEE: October 14th
OTEE results: October 31st (passed)
Interview: ?
PARE: ?
Psych test: ?

mike_lebel
Rookie Member

Postby mike_lebel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 am

Hello guys,

For those who did the OTEE two weeks ago and are wondering when they willl get their results, I received my results with a PDF file with all the details. Just to let you know.

Have a good one folks!
Applied: September 2018
OTEE: October 14th
OTEE results: October 31st (passed)
Interview: ?
PARE: ?
Psych test: ?

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am

Last edited by BravoZulu on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

whitetiger
Rookie Member

Postby whitetiger » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am

Well, this sucks. I did not get in.

pass mark of 60% on each competency was established for this exam.

We regret to inform you that you were unsuccessful in obtaining a pass mark of 60% in one or more of the following competencies assessed in the OTEE:
Reasoning Skills;
Client Service Orientation;
Analytical Thinking; and
Writing Skills
The waiting period to rewrite this exam is 365 days. Please find attached a copy of the Candidate Report with your official results.

I missed my mark by one point in two different competencies. (5/7/6/5)

Soooo does this mean that I can't apply for the CBSA for 1 year? If they're using this test as an entrance exam and I can't redo it for 365 days...?

Kiaora692
Rookie Member

Postby Kiaora692 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 am

Did anyone else who applied for the small community position, get an email that their districts they selected were no longer considered in the staffing list? Well it's back to step one for me in the new year
CBSA
Applied June 2018
Selected regions July 2018
Confirmation of selection August 2018
Post secondary proof approved October 2018
Interview ???

bellyanon
Rookie Member

Postby bellyanon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:38 am

Congrats to all who passed the OTEE. I got my email today and unfortunately I did not meet the requirements to pass.
I failed one competency by 1 point which is analytical thinking.
Sucks but I have to move one and wait for another year. :)

g176
Rookie Member

Postby g176 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:44 am

Hey everyone I've been following this form since may 2017 and I want to thank everyone for the information.

This is my timeline if anyone is similar:

Applied:05.17
Pare:10.17
Interview:10.17
Sec Sent:11.17
Psych:11.17
Medical:02.18
Security Interview:10.18
The rest is pending.

I first applied to national posting in may 2017 and then reapplied small communities in 2018 and was being considered for both selection processes, yesterday I received an email that I have been taken out of the small communities process...anyone know why? Thank you.
Pare Renewal: 02.19
Medical Renewal: 03.19
Security Clearance: 04.19
OITP: 06.19
Rigaud:08.19:14D

g176
Rookie Member

Postby g176 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

Kiaora692 wrote:Did anyone else who applied for the small community position, get an email that their districts they selected were no longer considered in the staffing list? Well it's back to step one for me in the new year

Yes I did too
Pare Renewal: 02.19
Medical Renewal: 03.19
Security Clearance: 04.19
OITP: 06.19