GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Buman
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Buman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:32 am

Hey guys/gals,

I thought I'd try to get things a bit more on track. We've all heard the rumors of hiring freezes and Rigaud only taking 200-300 recruits this year. We assume this is mainly due to the current economic climate and budgetary issues in the federal government.

My girlfriend works for another government agency and they've recently had to cancel all hiring and the university recruitment program. They've also been told they are getting no money for office supplies and travel budgets have been slashed. While this is not directly CBSA related it may give insights into the money problems that government departments and agencies(Including the CBSA) are facing.

Does anyone have any other information about the budget issues at other government agencies and the CBSA? This may give us an idea of how the current budget issues will be affecting our applications going forward.

P.S. Someone ask a few hundred GTA CBSA members to retire within the next few months. That would be greatly appreciated.

I recently saw a CBSA agent in a bank and was trying to will her to retire using my mind. I suggest others try similar tactics, maybe you'll have better luck than me. :P
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:40 am

Well, they don't all retire at once, nor will the CBSA send intakes as required; I think they'll wait until retirement numbers accumulate to a certain number before anything happens.
"One more thing..."

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:14 pm

The short story is that attrition is slower than anticipated, volumes are down in most modes (especially land border cargo) and of course the government is squeezing it's nickels currently as it faces a drastic drop in revenue (economically related). Budgets are a big issue--there was the public release several months ago of budget "restraint" at Public Safety which included reductions in overtime, travel, recruitment, etc...we've also had our uniform quota reduced on a "temporary" basis... My guess at this point (it's purely a guess, but possibly good for those of you waiting patiently to come aboard)...is that recruitment having all but ceased means the Agency anticipates drawing from the current applicant pools going forward for months/years. Being frank, though I have nothing bad to say about Van Loan as a Minister--I suspect he's not as close to the core of power and influence as Day was...but that's speculative. Public Safety is also going through Strategic Review this year (happens once every 4 years) so the purse strings are being held even tighter...bottom line is the government is cutting spending anywhere/everywhere it can--and with traffic down, etc, the Agency has little bargaining power in terms of budgets.

HeavenLeigh1
Rookie Member

Postby HeavenLeigh1 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:35 pm

HEY everyone! I was invited on June 23 2009 to write the last BSOT..its was a tiny group of like 13 of us. 5 ppl didnt bother to show up...there was even some international people writing... I thought it was pretty cool. so happy i actually finished without having to guess any answers lol..the time constraints were pretty brutal but i guess it makes it easier to weed people out. The test itself wasnt hard but youre under alot of pressure to be able to finish in the time allotted. Anyway im just waiting for my results they said 2 weeks. So if i pass...i get an interview..and if i pass that then what happens? :D
Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:46 pm

HeavenLeigh1 wrote:HEY everyone! I was invited on June 23 2009 to write the last BSOT..its was a tiny group of like 13 of us. 5 ppl didnt bother to show up...there was even some international people writing... I thought it was pretty cool. so happy i actually finished without having to guess any answers lol..the time constraints were pretty brutal but i guess it makes it easier to weed people out. The test itself wasnt hard but youre under alot of pressure to be able to finish in the time allotted. Anyway im just waiting for my results they said 2 weeks. So if i pass...i get an interview..and if i pass that then what happens? :D

They weed you out for posting on a forum in PINK! ;)

HeavenLeigh1
Rookie Member

Postby HeavenLeigh1 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:54 pm

NinjaNikki wrote:
HeavenLeigh1 wrote:HEY everyone! I was invited on June 23 2009 to write the last BSOT..its was a tiny group of like 13 of us. 5 ppl didnt bother to show up...there was even some international people writing... I thought it was pretty cool. so happy i actually finished without having to guess any answers lol..the time constraints were pretty brutal but i guess it makes it easier to weed people out. The test itself wasnt hard but youre under alot of pressure to be able to finish in the time allotted. Anyway im just waiting for my results they said 2 weeks. So if i pass...i get an interview..and if i pass that then what happens? :D

They weed you out for posting on a forum in PINK! ;)

lol but its my favourite colour :(
haha

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Well here I wait in YVR with an hour to go until my interview and then fly all the way home! :?

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Good look on it, tell us how it went after.
**CBSA Officer**

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Well lets just say that the interview did not go well... actually that would be an understatement. I am not what they are looking for. :(

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Drache wrote:Well lets just say that the interview did not go well... actually that would be an understatement. I am not what they are looking for. :(

I'm sorry to hear that man. Did they give you a reason why?
**CBSA Officer**

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:54 pm

Pacific_BSO wrote:
Drache wrote:Well lets just say that the interview did not go well... actually that would be an understatement. I am not what they are looking for. :(

I think it was a mixture of forgetting my resume of all bloody things, not knowing the answer to one question, not knowing why I chose the CBSA over the RCMP or the Canadian Forces, and not sleeping for 48 hours to get here (hitchhiked up to Prince George, flew in to Vancouver, did my interview, flying home, etc) and being really nervous. No excuses I should have studied harder though. Oh and being a really lousy roleplayer. If they could have just ASKED me the question I could have done it but I've NEVER been able to roleplay.... :cuss:

HeavenLeigh1
Rookie Member

Postby HeavenLeigh1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:33 am

Drache wrote:
Pacific_BSO wrote:

I think it was a mixture of forgetting my resume of all bloody things, not knowing the answer to one question, not knowing why I chose the CBSA over the RCMP or the Canadian Forces, and not sleeping for 48 hours to get here (hitchhiked up to Prince George, flew in to Vancouver, did my interview, flying home, etc) and being really nervous. No excuses I should have studied harder though. Oh and being a really lousy roleplayer. If they could have just ASKED me the question I could have done it but I've NEVER been able to roleplay.... :cuss:

sorry to hear ..sounds like u went thru hell to get to that interview! wow.. so they just told u on the spot that youre not what theyre looking for? was it a pretty long interview? and do they expect people to have alot of law enforcement experience?

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:42 pm

HeavenLeigh1 wrote:sorry to hear ..sounds like u went thru hell to get to that interview! wow.. so they just told u on the spot that youre not what theyre looking for? was it a pretty long interview? and do they expect people to have alot of law enforcement experience?

I was told the interview should be 30-45 minutes, mine took just over an hour. They don't require allot of LE experience but they do want life experience.

I spent about $2000 now getting this far and it kind of sucks to be stopped dead all of a sudden. This was my dream job and I plan on reapplying in two years, it just sucks waiting that long.

HeavenLeigh1
Rookie Member

Postby HeavenLeigh1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Drache wrote:
HeavenLeigh1 wrote:sorry to hear ..sounds like u went thru hell to get to that interview! wow.. so they just told u on the spot that youre not what theyre looking for? was it a pretty long interview? and do they expect people to have alot of law enforcement experience?

I was told the interview should be 30-45 minutes, mine took just over an hour. They don't require allot of LE experience but they do want life experience.

I spent about $2000 now getting this far and it kind of sucks to be stopped dead all of a sudden. This was my dream job and I plan on reapplying in two years, it just sucks waiting that long.

well bad news for me too..i failed the bsot.. got 560. Im sooo devastated cuz i honestly thought i did well!! This is my dream as well so i guess i will just try again in 6 months :( that really sux. So when they say u can write the test in 6 months does that mean i have to find a job posting then apply from the beginning? or can i just contact the recruiter in 6 months and ask to be invited for the test? wow this really suxxxxx...At least i got my results fast i did the test like 7 days ago. :drinking: lol i dont even drink haha

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:13 pm

HeavenLeigh1 wrote:
Drache wrote:

well bad news for me too..i failed the bsot.. got 560. Im sooo devastated cuz i honestly thought i did well!! This is my dream as well so i guess i will just try again in 6 months :( that really sux. So when they say u can write the test in 6 months does that mean i have to find a job posting then apply from the beginning? or can i just contact the recruiter in 6 months and ask to be invited for the test? wow this really suxxxxx...At least i got my results fast i did the test like 7 days ago. :drinking: lol i dont even drink haha

Only have to wait 6 months to redo the test? Wow! Sucks that you failed but at least it's only a 6 month wait, two years when you fail the interview!