Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Re: Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service?

Postby human-pylon2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

NAPS, not so bad as people are saying. I work for CAS in a community with both OPP and NAPS, I can say with all honesty the NAPS officers are alot more friendly. Now I'm not saying as a whole, NAPS everywhere are friendlier than OPP officers, not in the least, but from my experience, the 3 NAPS officers are far more willing to put in the extra effort than the OPP here. NAPS guys always have a smile when coming out, OPP guys seem to want to be in and out, take the professionalism part too far. These kids need to see the possitive side of policing while they're young before being tainted by the negative image of just a gun and a badge, NAPS guys do a great job of showing the kids the person behind the badge..... Little side tracked there by personal experience, but that has been my experience. Good sized community, 3 seperate bands as well as a town of 2500. OPP help NAPS when required and same for NAPS helping OPP, seems they have a great working relationship. Working conditions for NAPS here aren't so bad either. As for the not having officers on, that's not just NAPS. For 4 hours during the night there are neither NAPS or OPP officers on duty. Should anything happen during the night, complainants must call and wait for an on call officer to get out of bed, dressed, and on the road. So to say that if a service can't provide the service needed, OPP should be sent in, is an oxi-moron, because the OPP doesn't provide around the clock service in small communities either.

Now before someone goes on rampage about me hating OPP, not true. I've twice applied to OPP (twice denied, and no, it's not a "I didn't get hired so I hate OPP thing") and look forward to applying again after my stint with CAS. I have nothing but respect for OPP and Officers everywhere. Simply stating that my experience with NAPS officers has been better than the OPP officers here.

If you think working shifts alone with no back up and lots of overtime is something you can handle, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you NAPS is inferior to other services or where the rejects go, hiring standards are implimented for a reason. Do what you love, and love what you do.

mau786
Rookie Member

Postby mau786 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 am

Is anyone in the process with NAPS. Pls post or PM me. Thanks :)
RPAB - Nov 7, 2014
Selection Package - Dec 31, 2014
RMAQ - Feb 27, 2015

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 am

I love how some people with no policing experience can testify to what the opp and naps do.
Proud to Serve

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 am

human-pylon2 wrote: I work for CAS in a community with both OPP and NAPS, I can say with all honesty the NAPS officers are alot more friendly. Now I'm not saying as a whole, NAPS everywhere are friendlier than OPP officers.

No, they are. We're really not very friendly.

Now beat it.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 pm

human-pylon2 wrote:NAPS, not so bad as people are saying. I work for CAS in a community with both OPP and NAPS, I can say with all honesty the NAPS officers are alot more friendly. Now I'm not saying as a whole, NAPS everywhere are friendlier than OPP officers, not in the least, but from my experience, the 3 NAPS officers are far more willing to put in the extra effort than the OPP here. NAPS guys always have a smile when coming out, OPP guys seem to want to be in and out, take the professionalism part too far. These kids need to see the possitive side of policing while they're young before being tainted by the negative image of just a gun and a badge, NAPS guys do a great job of showing the kids the person behind the badge..... Little side tracked there by personal experience, but that has been my experience. Good sized community, 3 seperate bands as well as a town of 2500. OPP help NAPS when required and same for NAPS helping OPP, seems they have a great working relationship. Working conditions for NAPS here aren't so bad either. As for the not having officers on, that's not just NAPS. For 4 hours during the night there are neither NAPS or OPP officers on duty. Should anything happen during the night, complainants must call and wait for an on call officer to get out of bed, dressed, and on the road. So to say that if a service can't provide the service needed, OPP should be sent in, is an oxi-moron, because the OPP doesn't provide around the clock service in small communities either.

Now before someone goes on rampage about me hating OPP, not true. I've twice applied to OPP (twice denied, and no, it's not a "I didn't get hired so I hate OPP thing") and look forward to applying again after my stint with CAS. I have nothing but respect for OPP and Officers everywhere. Simply stating that my experience with NAPS officers has been better than the OPP officers here.

If you think working shifts alone with no back up and lots of overtime is something you can handle, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you NAPS is inferior to other services or where the rejects go, hiring standards are implimented for a reason. Do what you love, and love what you do.

Could have fooled me. Sounded like an OPP hating rant to me. Oh....there's a difference between providing 24 hour coverage and not having an officer present in the community. Maybe you should travel a little further north than Moosonee or Sioux Lookout to have a look.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 am

lol Moosonee, try a little further

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

The other option for an OPP detachment further north would be Pickle Lake.....and barely further north. Further west would be more like it. If you're thinking of anywhere else you need to grab a map. Either way, your post seems a lot like bashing whether you say it is or not. I'm on the job and I've worked at a few communities and been to many other ones for work duties. I can tell you 100% what NAPS goes through and where they're lacking. I've also worked near communities that have road access and are supposed to be policed by NAPS and done their calls because nobody is there to do them and they won't call anybody out to do them. So don't sit and tell anybody that others don't know what's going on because things are rosy in Pickle Lake. I'm not sitting here telling others not to apply to NAPS. I'm providing information to allow them to make informed decisions. I'm sure GrassyNarrows, polar bear and many others would welcome a pm and explain what people can expect from a POLICING standpoint and not from the perspective of somebody looking in from the outside because they played tag with some kids a few times.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Sounds like somebody is taking the OPINION of a faceless individual on the internet a little too seriously. You take my post how ever you feel, simply put, someone in the shoes you were once in asked a question, and others took it upon themselves to bash an organization who's reputation doesn't do them justice and one they've never worked for (maybe worked with, but not for, I worked with a regional servcie years back, doesn't mean I can comment on their inner workings.) Also, I didn't mention anything about what either service does, simply about the general knowledge of everyone in this community about their working conditions and what NAPS officers have told me. Original question was directed to someone currently with NAPS, and though I am not with NAPS (I am aware, no need to let me know thanks) no one from NAPS seemed to offer this guy a response so I thought I would give my two cents as all he got was OPP telling how awful it is. A more informed decision could be made by applicants watching the videos linked a few posts back and going to detachments speaking directly to current officers. The biased opinion from someone in OPP is the same as RCMP in London saying OPP aren't capable of policing Middlesex. Like I said, no problem with OPP, I'm sure they're great guys here, they just don't take the time to show it. Why you took my post so personally, I'm not too sure. After all, just the opinion of someone looking in right? Now I've got a game of tag to get back too. Take er'easy.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Interesting that you know whether or not I've worked for or was seconded to naps or not. I know more about the inside workings of the organization than you think I do. Carry on with your opinions about what you think you know and I'll carry on with what I know and why I preach to be cautious when applying.

Even better how you think you know everything after a few months up there.
Last edited by basketcase on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 pm

So you couldn't handle it and opted to go elsewhere is what you're saying? Opinions are opinions, everyone has theirs and they are theirs alone. This is a public forum open to everyone aswell as their opinions. If you don't like people looking in from the outside speaking up then stick to the locked forum.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm

human-pylon2 wrote:So you couldn't handle it and opted to go elsewhere is what you're saying? Opinions are opinions, everyone has theirs and they are theirs alone. This is a public forum open to everyone aswell as their opinions. If you don't like people looking in from the outside speaking up then stick to the locked forum.

Been in policing for ten years with a great deal of it spent in the North after being born and raised there. You're a fool with an opinion if you think otherwise. I'd also like you to point out where I said I care whether or not anybody had an opinion from the outside. You need to work on your reading comprehension skills a little bit and perhaps try to stop articulating your opinions about something as facts. You know far less about the organization than I do or anybody else who has worked with/for/alongside NAPS and you admit that your only experience is from seeing them interacting with kids.

I have yet to say the agency is a bad agency to work for. I have said to be cautious because the conditions are difficult. I have also said to take what a recruiting poster says with a grain of salt. I can show you a thousand recruiting videos from my time with the Canadian Forces and OPP that show all of the great parts of the job. Show me one that talks about where you're working in the most difficult conditions of your life.

Nice try at the "you couldn't handle it so you left" angle. That's what children resort to when they're not getting their way and would be the same as if I tried to throw back "I'm a cop and you're not". Sheer stupidity.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 pm

You seem to be getting very worked up about this, and again, I'm not sure why? I'm not questioning your experience nor your knowledge of the North. But that's not the purpose of this thread, is it? You can attack my reading and comprehension skills all you want, no concern of mine. But when it comes down to it, this thread is about NAPS and yet you come at me about reading and comprehension? For what purpose? To discredit what I say?

I'm sure you may have worked with NAPS, but Policing is no super secret agency, it doesn't take much to understand what they do when in contact with them 6 out of 7 days a week, nor does it take much for me to go on a ride along with the local Srg. and see what they do on shift (hint, with not much do here, I've been on a few.) None of what I have said has come from a Policing stand point, just my interaction with them.... Slightly more than how they are with children.

All your posts have been from the "I'm a cop and you're not" angle without flat out saying it. The begining and middle of your last post you list your experience and go on to say I know nothing about policing. Seems all your going off is my current employment with CAS with no knowledge of my past experience.

There's a video on page one, but I'll post it here for you. Have a watch, bit of a farcry from any other promotional videos I've seen.

http://www.nan.on.ca/article/nishnawbe- ... ng-410.asp

basketcase wrote:I'm sure GrassyNarrows, polar bear and many others would welcome a pm and explain what people can expect from a POLICING standpoint and not from the perspective of somebody looking in from the outside.

That to me says you only care what someone in POLICING has to say about this topic. But that's probably just my inferior reading and comprehension skills again.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:10 pm

human-pylon2 wrote: Like I said, no problem with OPP, I'm sure they're great guys here, they just don't take the time to show it.

That's awesome that you've met all 6000+ members of the OPP and can form a logical, reality based opinion on the entire service based on that. Makes me wonder how you have so much spare time to make yourself look like an ass on here. Which you do.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 pm

lol alright, well this has gone quite a ways off topic and an uphill battle for no purpose, so I will bow out on this one. Enjoy the win.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Its people like this that irritate the shit out of me. He or she has zero idea to what we do or the adversity we have to face when working in difficult conditions in policing period.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER