MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RobLobster
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 am
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby RobLobster » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am

Let the floodgates open lol.

I can bet tones of corrections officers will be applying for these position
I'm assuming that includes yourself, Font?

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Fonthill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm

RobLobster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:47 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am

Let the floodgates open lol.

I can bet tones of corrections officers will be applying for these position
I'm assuming that includes yourself, Font?
Hmm, debating.

Do I want to go from one dysfunctional employer to another dysfunctional employer lol.

Like they say. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Trust me, I appreciate the hard work men and women that work for MTO, but there is a lot of safety issue including not be armed when making a traffic stop. This alone is a very dangerous job and not sure why the union isn’t pushing for them to be armed.

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Hopeful-1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm
RobLobster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:47 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am



Let the floodgates open lol.

I can bet tones of corrections officers will be applying for these position
I'm assuming that includes yourself, Font?
Hmm, debating.

Do I want to go from one dysfunctional employer to another dysfunctional employer lol.

Like they say. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Trust me, I appreciate the hard work men and women that work for MTO, but there is a lot of safety issue including not be armed when making a traffic stop. This alone is a very dangerous job and not sure why the union isn’t pushing for them to be armed.
BC is the same. Im currently in the process here (interview on Wednesday) and there is no use of force tools or training other than some verbal judo and basic self defence (not even sure on that). If I’m wrong, I apologize but I can’t find anything stating otherwise It definitely weighs into my consideration as to how bad I want the job or not.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Fonthill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Hopeful-1 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:15 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm
RobLobster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:47 pm


I'm assuming that includes yourself, Font?
Hmm, debating.

Do I want to go from one dysfunctional employer to another dysfunctional employer lol.

Like they say. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Trust me, I appreciate the hard work men and women that work for MTO, but there is a lot of safety issue including not be armed when making a traffic stop. This alone is a very dangerous job and not sure why the union isn’t pushing for them to be armed.
BC is the same. Im currently in the process here (interview on Wednesday) and there is no use of force tools or training other than some verbal judo and basic self defence (not even sure on that). If I’m wrong, I apologize but I can’t find anything stating otherwise It definitely weighs into my consideration as to how bad I want the job or not.
Yeah.

A least persons that a currently full time and Eventually join the MTO might get much needed assistances to push forward against management

Going to be hard to push around a full time employee that is already on secondment from a job within the OPS that brings forward valid concerns

User avatar
TripleChev
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: North eh
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TripleChev » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm

I went from MTO to Corrections (Sgt. /Deputy Superintendent) and now MOL. NO and I repeat NO Ministry is better than the other. All Ministry's have issues. So take it with a grain of salt.

sima0304
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby sima0304 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:34 am

From the way people have been talking about this job, it seems like its extremely competitive; Even more than a police constable position (just my opinion).. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard people say that they received 7000 applications the last time when they have only 20 positions available.

User avatar
TripleChev
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: North eh
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TripleChev » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 am

sima0304 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:34 am
From the way people have been talking about this job, it seems like its extremely competitive; Even more than a police constable position (just my opinion).. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard people say that they received 7000 applications the last time when they have only 20 positions available.
When I got hired in 2010 they took 24 out of over 17000 that applied. They'll definitely get a high number again being an open posting. It took them over a year to screen applications. I expect it to be high.

Safety Guy
Regular Member
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Safety Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 pm

TripleChev wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm
I went from MTO to Corrections (Sgt. /Deputy Superintendent) and now MOL. NO and I repeat NO Ministry is better than the other. All Ministry's have issues. So take it with a grain of salt.
Well that’s saying something because if I remember correctly, you gave the MTO a proverbial 🖕on your way out the door.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

doorkicker
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:54 pm
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby doorkicker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Safety Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 pm
TripleChev wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm
I went from MTO to Corrections (Sgt. /Deputy Superintendent) and now MOL. NO and I repeat NO Ministry is better than the other. All Ministry's have issues. So take it with a grain of salt.
Well that’s saying something because if I remember correctly, you gave the MTO a proverbial 🖕on your way out the door.
I'd love to hear this story. TripleChev, were you a regular TEO1/2 and moved to SGT with corrections?

User avatar
TruckDuk
Rookie Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm
Location: Along the side of a deserted highway
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TruckDuk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm

I have to admit it's a pretty good job. Very difficult to get to where you want to be if you don't live south of Barrie but that being said,,, Dangerous? YES Sketchy traffic stops? YES Should we be armed. ABSOLUTELY! No cop in the province would do what we do, work alone as often as we do and with as little use of force training as we have. Properly compensated NOT!!! At $72,000 per year you can do a clerical job for the OPS and bring home the same $$ and ZERO risk but we chose this.
The elephant in the room nobody will discuss is the fast one pulled on us last year when they slipped the EPA into the HTA. PRESTO!! All you TEO officers are now MOE Emissions inspectors too without so much as shilling extra in pay. Let me break it down for you. TEO's max out in the low 70K range. An MOL inspector, high 80's. So with the stroke of a pen ( very hush hush behind our backs) an enormous layer of responsibility was transferred into our "sandbox" and out of the MOL. Brilliant maneuvering. SHAME ON OPSEU for allowing it to happen. Anyone considering using OPSEU to come to your rescue as a TEO will be summarily disappointed. There are only about 140 "actual" TEO's left for the entire province. OPSEU doesn't give a rats about us. Folks from corrections have had the ability to leverage their numbers and the fact that nobody wants a prison strike to negotiate decent pay. TEO's have no such luxury.
So. Back to the beginning of my post. Is it a good job. Yup. Is it fun? Yup. Are we evolving???? million dollar question. Yes there will be a lot of applications but that is the goal of every recruitment drive. Make sure you and your application can rise to the top of the pile. Be at your most competitive, take the time to read the job posting AND the job description and make your application show recruiters you are a good fit for the job. PROOF READ your cover letter and CV.
My understanding is the goal is to get recruits ready for training by the end of the fiscal year which I think is March. This one isn't going to be a long drawn out affair.
The Auditor General gave this program a solid dressing down last year as did a risk assessment in 2018. Numbers was a big issue in the face of rapidly expanding commercial traffic and fatal CMV collisions. Get your apps in. Make them good and best of luck.
Truck Trooper in the #GreatWhiteNorth MTO TEO II

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby A_C_P_91 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 pm

I’d love a gig like this. Housing special constables are in a similar boat. We are becoming a new organization essentially and are in the process of changing quite a few things with respect to the scope of our job function and what tools/powers we are to have.

We too are at the mercy of OPSEU! Crazy similarities but the pay is better at housing.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Fonthill » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:00 am

TruckDuk wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm
I have to admit it's a pretty good job. Very difficult to get to where you want to be if you don't live south of Barrie but that being said,,, Dangerous? YES Sketchy traffic stops? YES Should we be armed. ABSOLUTELY! No cop in the province would do what we do, work alone as often as we do and with as little use of force training as we have. Properly compensated NOT!!! At $72,000 per year you can do a clerical job for the OPS and bring home the same $$ and ZERO risk but we chose this.
The elephant in the room nobody will discuss is the fast one pulled on us last year when they slipped the EPA into the HTA. PRESTO!! All you TEO officers are now MOE Emissions inspectors too without so much as shilling extra in pay. Let me break it down for you. TEO's max out in the low 70K range. An MOL inspector, high 80's. So with the stroke of a pen ( very hush hush behind our backs) an enormous layer of responsibility was transferred into our "sandbox" and out of the MOL. Brilliant maneuvering. SHAME ON OPSEU for allowing it to happen. Anyone considering using OPSEU to come to your rescue as a TEO will be summarily disappointed. There are only about 140 "actual" TEO's left for the entire province. OPSEU doesn't give a rats about us. Folks from corrections have had the ability to leverage their numbers and the fact that nobody wants a prison strike to negotiate decent pay. TEO's have no such luxury.
So. Back to the beginning of my post. Is it a good job. Yup. Is it fun? Yup. Are we evolving???? million dollar question. Yes there will be a lot of applications but that is the goal of every recruitment drive. Make sure you and your application can rise to the top of the pile. Be at your most competitive, take the time to read the job posting AND the job description and make your application show recruiters you are a good fit for the job. PROOF READ your cover letter and CV.
My understanding is the goal is to get recruits ready for training by the end of the fiscal year which I think is March. This one isn't going to be a long drawn out affair.
The Auditor General gave this program a solid dressing down last year as did a risk assessment in 2018. Numbers was a big issue in the face of rapidly expanding commercial traffic and fatal CMV collisions. Get your apps in. Make them good and best of luck.
Wow, very well said !

Yep, opseu is a joke.

Corrections is about to collapse Opsue for CSN union which federal corrections has.

I appreciate your hard work while taken huge risks

User avatar
TripleChev
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: North eh
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TripleChev » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Safety Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 pm
TripleChev wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm
I went from MTO to Corrections (Sgt. /Deputy Superintendent) and now MOL. NO and I repeat NO Ministry is better than the other. All Ministry's have issues. So take it with a grain of salt.
Well that’s saying something because if I remember correctly, you gave the MTO a proverbial 🖕on your way out the door.
Ha! Yes I did....but that's because (as you are well aware) it was because of how things were run. I'm pretty sure not much has changed but I might have grown wiser in my aging years. MIGHT....😄

User avatar
TripleChev
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: North eh
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TripleChev » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:45 pm

doorkicker wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:56 pm
Safety Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 pm
TripleChev wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm
I went from MTO to Corrections (Sgt. /Deputy Superintendent) and now MOL. NO and I repeat NO Ministry is better than the other. All Ministry's have issues. So take it with a grain of salt.
Well that’s saying something because if I remember correctly, you gave the MTO a proverbial 🖕on your way out the door.
I'd love to hear this story. TripleChev, were you a regular TEO1/2 and moved to SGT with corrections?
Yessir.... and there are a lot of stories. High flying stories....

User avatar
TripleChev
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: North eh
Contact:

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TripleChev » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:46 pm

TruckDuk wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm
I have to admit it's a pretty good job. Very difficult to get to where you want to be if you don't live south of Barrie but that being said,,, Dangerous? YES Sketchy traffic stops? YES Should we be armed. ABSOLUTELY! No cop in the province would do what we do, work alone as often as we do and with as little use of force training as we have. Properly compensated NOT!!! At $72,000 per year you can do a clerical job for the OPS and bring home the same $$ and ZERO risk but we chose this.
The elephant in the room nobody will discuss is the fast one pulled on us last year when they slipped the EPA into the HTA. PRESTO!! All you TEO officers are now MOE Emissions inspectors too without so much as shilling extra in pay. Let me break it down for you. TEO's max out in the low 70K range. An MOL inspector, high 80's. So with the stroke of a pen ( very hush hush behind our backs) an enormous layer of responsibility was transferred into our "sandbox" and out of the MOL. Brilliant maneuvering. SHAME ON OPSEU for allowing it to happen. Anyone considering using OPSEU to come to your rescue as a TEO will be summarily disappointed. There are only about 140 "actual" TEO's left for the entire province. OPSEU doesn't give a rats about us. Folks from corrections have had the ability to leverage their numbers and the fact that nobody wants a prison strike to negotiate decent pay. TEO's have no such luxury.
So. Back to the beginning of my post. Is it a good job. Yup. Is it fun? Yup. Are we evolving???? million dollar question. Yes there will be a lot of applications but that is the goal of every recruitment drive. Make sure you and your application can rise to the top of the pile. Be at your most competitive, take the time to read the job posting AND the job description and make your application show recruiters you are a good fit for the job. PROOF READ your cover letter and CV.
My understanding is the goal is to get recruits ready for training by the end of the fiscal year which I think is March. This one isn't going to be a long drawn out affair.
The Auditor General gave this program a solid dressing down last year as did a risk assessment in 2018. Numbers was a big issue in the face of rapidly expanding commercial traffic and fatal CMV collisions. Get your apps in. Make them good and best of luck.
MOL high 80's??? I'm at 92....sorry to rub salt in there.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Georgyirawo, sd333, ygu31 and 16 guests