MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Fonthill
Veteran Member

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Fonthill » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Nuke wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:17 am
Posting was initially suppose to be out for January...but the latest news is now sometime in spring.
Wouldn’t hold your breath on that !
Correctional Officer, CO2

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:11 pm
Nuke wrote:
Posting was initially suppose to be out for January...but the latest news is now sometime in spring.
For sure, since the same was said in 2019....but it has been 2 years since last hire and numbers are very low right now. I think it will actually happen this year out of necessity.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Nuke wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Nuke wrote:
For sure, since the same was said in 2019....but it has been 2 years since last hire and numbers are very low right now. I think it will actually happen this year out of necessity.
One thing you can guarantee with the PC government is cut backs and lay offs.

Are you in the MTO or the OPS ?

This is just speculation and just my two cents from observation from this PC government. I could see them hiring a private company to work along the MTO to cut cost.

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:24 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Nuke wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

This is just speculation and just my two cents from observation from this PC government. I could see them hiring a private company to work along the MTO to cut cost.
I'm a TEO with MTO so the information comes from a direct source.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Nuke wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:24 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Nuke wrote:

I'm a TEO with MTO so the information comes from a direct source.
Thank you

Good to know.

Their information last time was also incorrect lol

So, who do you believe anymore

One thing I have learned while working in the government. I’ll believe it when I see it lol.

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 pm

Nuke wrote:
Thanks for the update Nuke. Do you know if training still expected to be 12 weeks? I've read a couple things way back in the thread stating that it's a mixture of time spent away and time spent at your work location. Also, do you know if there are any spots in the province that would be more in-demand of staff than others? Thanks very much again.

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 am

RobLobster wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 pm
Nuke wrote:
Thanks for the update Nuke. Do you know if training still expected to be 12 weeks? I've read a couple things way back in the thread stating that it's a mixture of time spent away and time spent at your work location. Also, do you know if there are any spots in the province that would be more in-demand of staff than others? Thanks very much again.
The initial Basic Training is 12 weeks followed by 3 weeks for CVSA certification.

Typically after the 12 weeks training you would return to your home location and return at a later date for the extra 3 weeks.
An example of that would be basic training in the spring, spend the summer at your work location and return in the fall for the 3 weeks CVSA cert.

As far as available spots, hard to say...current TEO's would get laterals first then they would open up available locations. You compete for a position province wide, the higher your score the better chance you can choose your work locations and so on...if your scored the lowest then you're stuck with the last location available.

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am

Nuke wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 am
RobLobster wrote:
Nuke wrote:
The initial Basic Training is 12 weeks followed by 3 weeks for CVSA certification.

Typically after the 12 weeks training you would return to your home location and return at a later date for the extra 3 weeks.
An example of that would be basic training in the spring, spend the summer at your work location and return in the fall for the 3 weeks CVSA cert.

As far as available spots, hard to say...current TEO's would get laterals first then they would open up available locations. You compete for a position province wide, the higher your score the better chance you can choose your work locations and so on...if your scored the lowest then you're stuck with the last location available.
Thanks very much again, great info. Are the 12 weeks away all consecutive? Would I likely be living out of a hotel room for those 12 weeks plus the 3 weeks later for CVSA? How many new recruits usually go to training? Is it still conducted in St. Catherines?

As for the testing, is it mostly aptitude/writing or is there commercial vehicle specific content? I know there are some older comments in the thread which indicate it's basically all over the map, but I wonder if it's changed in recent years.

Thank you very much again!

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 pm

RobLobster wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am
Nuke wrote:
RobLobster wrote:

Thanks very much again, great info. Are the 12 weeks away all consecutive? Would I likely be living out of a hotel room for those 12 weeks plus the 3 weeks later for CVSA? How many new recruits usually go to training? Is it still conducted in St. Catherines?

As for the testing, is it mostly aptitude/writing or is there commercial vehicle specific content? I know there are some older comments in the thread which indicate it's basically all over the map, but I wonder if it's changed in recent years.

The 12 weeks and 3 weeks are consecutive.
The last recruitment class took place at NavCan in Cornwall but previous to that it was in
St Catherines or Burlington and accommodation were in a hotel. (you get your own room).
It sounds like NavCan will hold future training classes but don't quote me on that.

Testing is more job specific now, enforcement related, knowledge of HTA and Regs is beneficial.
There is a small assignment / presentation at time of panel interview.
Assignment for presentation is sent approx 1 week before interview to prepare.

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Nuke wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 pm
RobLobster wrote:
Nuke wrote:

The last recruitment class took place at NavCan in Cornwall but previous to that it was in
St Catherines or Burlington and accommodation were in a hotel. (you get your own room).
It sounds like NavCan will hold future training classes but don't quote me on that.

Testing is more job specific now, enforcement related, knowledge of HTA and Regs is beneficial.
This is great information, thank you very much once again. I'm sure it's different for each candidate, but what did your timeline look like from applying to the posting to stepping into uniform?

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm

Nuke wrote:
RobLobster wrote:
Nuke wrote:

Never really understood why MTO makes the candidates before hand make them do a small assignment/presentation.

I could see the employer asking people applying for management position to do this ridiculous requirement but not for a union position.

Now, you might say it is to weed people out. I would say no. If anything, knowing the ministry doesn’t want to arm their officers and let them pull over car/truck and walk up to it fully knowing what dangers might be there. That’s all I need to know to weed myself out !

Shame the union allows this in the process

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 am

RobLobster wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Nuke wrote:
RobLobster wrote:

This is great information, thank you very much once again. I'm sure it's different for each candidate, but what did your timeline look like from applying to the posting to stepping into uniform?
I won't even comment on that because it will mean nothing....could be 4 months, could be 8 months....the wheels can turn extremely slow at times.

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm
Nuke wrote:
RobLobster wrote:

Never really understood why MTO makes the candidates before hand make them do a small assignment/presentation.

I could see the employer asking people applying for management position to do this ridiculous requirement but not for a union position.

Now, you might say it is to weed people out. I would say no. If anything, knowing the ministry doesn’t want to arm their officers and let them pull over car/truck and walk up to it fully knowing what dangers might be there. That’s all I need to know to weed myself out !

It's actually a great part of the testing process.
The job can involve preparing assignments or presentations on a daily basis.
As an example, companies will request an Officer to attend their facility to present info regarding how a driver can properly complete a Trip Inspection.
If you cant deliver the information properly then how are you expected to deal with the day to day situations.
Every time you interact with the public or someone you've pulled over you're ending the interaction with a mini "presentation" of your findings or reason for the stop.

It's not a full blown power point presentation. It can literally be as short as 10 min.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:20 am

Nuke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am
Fonthill wrote:
Nuke wrote:

As an example, companies will request an Officer to attend their facility to present info regarding how a driver can properly complete a Trip Inspection.
If you cant deliver the information properly then how are you expected to deal with the day to day situations.
Every time you interact with the public or someone you've pulled over you're ending the interaction with a mini "presentation" of your findings or reason for the stop.

It's not a full blown power point presentation. It can literally be as short as 10 min.
And that’s why once’s you are hired you will receive proper training on how to perform your job duties.

During the interview nobody will deliver it properly without proper training first.

Nonsense

Do they tell you, you can refusal unsafe work training before you proceed to the car/truck because the ministry refuse to equip their officers properly

Ministry likes giving more duties to the officers like radar but refuses to make the job safer for them.

Anyways, my rant and nothing will change. Lol.

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:32 am

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:20 am
Nuke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am
Fonthill wrote:

And that’s why once’s you are hired you will receive proper training on how to perform your job duties.

During the interview nobody will deliver it properly without proper training first.

Nonsense

Do they tell you, you can refusal unsafe work training before you proceed to the car/truck because the ministry refuse to equip their officers properly

Ministry likes giving more duties to the officers like radar but refuses to make the job safer for them.

Anyways, my rant and nothing will change. Lol.
Sorry, forgot you're in this position and know everything.
I'll sit back and let you answer the questions from now on.

I'll agree, there needs to be health and safety improvements but that's not what this thread is for.