MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

MrHawk

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby MrHawk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 pm

I got invited for an interview for MTO officer.

I have been working for CBSA for several years and I was wondering how does the MTO compares to the BSO position (shifts, salary, benefits, time off, overtime, etc). Based on my early findings, it looks very similar. However, CBSA has been without a contract for 3 years, so some changes are expected in the near future.

Thanks!

para530
Rookie Member

Postby para530 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 am

congratulations Mr. hawk!

what hiring campaign did you apply under?

- license mechanic
- general application
- OPSEU transfer...

thanks a lot, and again Best of luck in your interviews.
Canadian Forces Airborne Engineers - Est. 2007

Bylawguy81
Rookie Member

Postby Bylawguy81 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Congrats Mr. Hawk! Good Luck!!

I also received an invite for an interview and have the same questions as you in regards to shifts, salary, benefits, time off, overtime, etc...

I am currently working as a municipal law enforcement officer with a municipality close to home and am considering a career change so I'm wondering how it compares.

Any further info would be great!!

para530 I applied to the general application that was posted back in February. Just receive an email late last week.

para530
Rookie Member

Postby para530 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm

hello bylaw guy,

to be honest fellas I got a lot of information from reading back into this forum, from people who went threw this last year or the year before, for salary and all the rest,
I am hoping to get a call as im sure a lot of the other people on here are.. I applied the same time, in February.
best luck to you also, and anyone who gets the call,,,

MrHawk

Postby MrHawk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 pm

para530 wrote:congratulations Mr. hawk!

what hiring campaign did you apply under?

- license mechanic
- general application
- OPSEU transfer...

thanks a lot, and again Best of luck in your interviews.

Hey para530

Thanks for your message. I applied for the general application. I am trying to figure out if it makes sense the move, coming from almost a decade (and counting) with CBSA...

Safety Guy
Sage Member

Postby Safety Guy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 pm

The shifts and schedules vary depending on work locations. Most officers work compressed work weeks arrangements with 9 or 10 hour shifts but the actual schedules vary greatly.
The top end of the salary is 1316.12 per week gross. That being said, that's the top rate for a TEO 2, trainees start as TEO1 and work their way up. Back in the day, it took me 5 years to get to the top of the pay grid.
Also, with the ratification of the next collective agreement this week, all of OPSEU members are looking at an overall7.5% increase over the next 4 years.
15 days vacation to start, goes up to 20 days after 8 years in the Ontario Public Service.

Good luck to those proceeding to the interview stage.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

para530
Rookie Member

Postby para530 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

I had received a reply email yesterday from the Ontario hiring agency's assistance email, I normally email them semi monthly seeking an update.
as of yesterday I was informed that;

"" Competition 103949 is a talent pool and has not gone to interview yet. It will likely be another two or three months before you will hear anything. ""

this is the competition for all northern TEO applications from February 2017.

I am not sure if the other members on here who received interviews were for the southern positions or maybe eastern?

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks for sharing this. I've heard through the grapevine that a few interviews have happened for southern applicants. This is good news and all the best to those whom have received invitations to interview!
Truck Trooper in the #GreatWhiteNorth MTO TEO II

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:04 am

Interviews starting for the North Region. Got an email yesterday inviting me to an interview. Good luck to all the others that applied to the northern postings!

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Had my interview this afternoon. Just as the interview teaser stated. 7 behavioral based questions.
At the end of the interview I asked a couple of questions. Here's what I found out.
-There are about 30-33 TEO positions open across the province and 2-3 TEO + Mechanic Class 310T
-Laterals are still ongoing so they don't know exactly what locations are available yet.
-This round of interviews is slated to last until the end of August
-Next round of interviews for those who are invited back for second interview will be October-ish,,,
-The goal is offers will go out in December. Based on comments from previous competitions this may or may not take longer
-The goal is to have a January class. That's the goal,,
-This behavioral interview format is a pilot project in conjunction with MTO, OMAFRA and MOE & Climate Change. Anyone who advances beyond this behavioral interview will be eligible to apply to any enforcement position with any of the three ministries and will be able to bi-pass the behavioral interview process moving directly int the next round. This will be good for 12 months.
-Applicants who make it beyond the second interview will remain in the talent pool for 18 months and will be eligible for a posting should one arise.

That's all I can say folks to keep it fair.
Bottom line. Prepare a list of current work related scenarios you can use to answer any of the 7 questions you will be asked. Best of luck everyone!!!

Sunshine17
Rookie Member

Postby Sunshine17 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 am

Hey All,

New to the forum. All the information is very much appreciated.

That said, does anyone on here have an interview for the bilingual positions for job posting 103950?

Thanks!

Gerald
Rookie Member

Postby Gerald » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 pm

would all the invites be sent out by now or could this go on for the next few months?

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Received notice on Friday afternoon that I will be progressing on to the technical interview which means I met standard with the behavioral. They advised notices for the next steps will be going out in "the fall" so I'm guessing a January class for those whom are hired. Best of luck everyone!

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 am

It's been quiet out there folks. Has anyone heard about second stage interviews? I've heard some rumors on class dates and sizes. Wouldn't mind hearing from others to see if my info is consistent.
Let's keep in contact folks.

Safety Guy
Sage Member

Postby Safety Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm

TruckDuk wrote:It's been quiet out there folks. Has anyone heard about second stage interviews? I've heard some rumors on class dates and sizes. Wouldn't mind hearing from others to see if my info is consistent.
Let's keep in contact folks.
Training tentatively scheduled for 2 classes of 15 officers each starting Jan 8th.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.