MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TruckDuk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 am

As a TEO, I'm going to step in here. MTO Enforcement IS IN A STATE OF CRISIS. When 150+ out of 160 some officers sign a province wide group grievance regarding unsafe working conditions and poisoned work environment, I'd have to say WE ARE IN CRISIS. It's a great job but if we don't continue to push for much needed change someone is going to get killed on the side of the road. New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Alberta and soon possibly Quebec have all taken measures to properly train, equip and expand officer authorities proactively. If we all kept our mouths shut, kicked the tires of 600 trucks per year and put unwavering faith in managers who haven't done the job we'd all be none the wiser.
We need our compensation, authorities, equipment and training overhauled immediately.
Truck Trooper in the #GreatWhiteNorth MTO TEO II

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:52 am

Conclusion statement from 2019 Ontario Auditor Generals Report. = Scathing Review

Overall Conclusion
Our audit concluded that the Ministry of Transportation does not have fully effective and efficient
processes and systems to consistently carry out
safety programs that promote and enforce the operation of commercial vehicles in compliance with
legislative and policy requirements that protect the
safety of Ontario’s road users.

Link to full report below
http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/ann ... 04en19.pdf

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 am

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:02 am

Nuke wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 pm
RobLobster wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am
Nuke wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 am

The initial Basic Training is 12 weeks followed by 3 weeks for CVSA certification.

Typically after the 12 weeks training you would return to your home location and return at a later date for the extra 3 weeks.
An example of that would be basic training in the spring, spend the summer at your work location and return in the fall for the 3 weeks CVSA cert.

As far as available spots, hard to say...current TEO's would get laterals first then they would open up available locations. You compete for a position province wide, the higher your score the better chance you can choose your work locations and so on...if your scored the lowest then you're stuck with the last location available.
Thanks very much again, great info. Are the 12 weeks away all consecutive? Would I likely be living out of a hotel room for those 12 weeks plus the 3 weeks later for CVSA? How many new recruits usually go to training? Is it still conducted in St. Catherines?

As for the testing, is it mostly aptitude/writing or is there commercial vehicle specific content? I know there are some older comments in the thread which indicate it's basically all over the map, but I wonder if it's changed in recent years.

Thank you very much again!
The 12 weeks and 3 weeks are consecutive.
The last recruitment class took place at NavCan in Cornwall but previous to that it was in
St Catherines or Burlington and accommodation were in a hotel. (you get your own room).
It sounds like NavCan will hold future training classes but don't quote me on that.

Testing is more job specific now, enforcement related, knowledge of HTA and Regs is beneficial.
There is a small assignment / presentation at time of panel interview.
Assignment for presentation is sent approx 1 week before interview to prepare.

Nav Center was an awesome place for basic. Yesterdays announcement that COVID - 19 quarantine patients to be housed at Nav Center might force a change of venue. It was a great place to be housed and trained.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:41 am

TruckDuk wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 am
As a TEO, I'm going to step in here. MTO Enforcement IS IN A STATE OF CRISIS. When 150+ out of 160 some officers sign a province wide group grievance regarding unsafe working conditions and poisoned work environment, I'd have to say WE ARE IN CRISIS. It's a great job but if we don't continue to push for much needed change someone is going to get killed on the side of the road. New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Alberta and soon possibly Quebec have all taken measures to properly train, equip and expand officer authorities proactively. If we all kept our mouths shut, kicked the tires of 600 trucks per year and put unwavering faith in managers who haven't done the job we'd all be none the wiser.
We need our compensation, authorities, equipment and training overhauled immediately.
Amazing

Great post !

I respect your courage and sounded like a breaking point for your self to release this information

Have one question. Have you or have other officers done work refusal not being armed and so on.

Rareform
Sage Member

Postby Rareform » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:28 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:41 am
TruckDuk wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 am
Amazing

Great post !

I respect your courage and sounded like a breaking point for your self to release this information

Have one question. Have you or have other officers done work refusal not being armed and so on.
Sounds like CVSE in BC. Great group of guys. Same issues. No grievance (yet) surprisingly.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:31 pm

I want to preface any comment with the statement that this IS A GREAT JOB. I don't want to discourage any aspiring recruit from looking at a career as a TEO. We have a huge responsibility and broad authorities as it stands however, there are grave underlying issues which need to be addressed to move this program forward in a progressive, safe and publicly responsible manner. As TEO's we are authorized to enforce the HTA and other acts and regulations for "all vehicles on all provincial highways" and that should not be taken lightly. we have a tremendous responsibility and we take it very seriously. For these very reasons we are passionate about road safety and public safety.
I believe this is a GREAT time to get in with the MTO Transportation Safety Division ( our new title as of later this year) Enough issues have come to loggerheads and enough push back to generate attention is happening and that's all positive so before anyone thinks I'm dumping on the program, please exit stage left. That being said, I'm a huge proponent for change in order to keep the public safe and my fellow officers safe. THAT and only that is the impetus for any perceived negativity.

There have not been any work refusals regarding officers not being armed as it's a very broad issue and would be difficult to rationalize a WR for that respect. Recently a refusal was ordered due to inaccurate CNI returns being given which could have affected the safety of officers across the province.

william
Rookie Member

Postby william » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:08 pm

Just curious. Does anyone in the know if there is still talks about hiring this summer. Or are they going to complete the internal audit first.

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:32 am

Your guess is as good as mine. They have talked about doing a large hire for the last two years but haven't managed to put one together. Keep watching.

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 am

I’d love to see more officers on the road and obviously for safety reasons, trained and equipped with firearms. I’d love this gig but the money needs to come to you folks. Being on a roadway making stops is so dangerous with the amount of distracted drivers out there and tow companies becoming armed.

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 am

100% Low wages is one of the biggest deterrents to this job. Compared to other enforcement ministries or Bylaw or Metro-Lynx, Go specials. They all earn substantially more than a MTO officer.

babydell123
Rookie Member

Postby babydell123 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:31 am

FYI //// MTO virtual recruitment session, November 10, 2020 at 7PM. sign up if interested.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/transportat ... 7004342407

Lachelly27
Rookie Member

Postby Lachelly27 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 am

babydell123 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:31 am
FYI //// MTO virtual recruitment session, November 10, 2020 at 7PM. sign up if interested.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/transportat ... 7004342407

I signed up for the event a few days ago and when it came down to attending the event online last night at 7pm, I could never get on. Did anyone attend the Eventbrite recruiting info session and would like to share what was discussed?

Thank you.
Ontario Correctional Officer

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am

Let the floodgates open lol.

I can bet tones of corrections officers will be applying for these position