MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 am

Nuke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:32 am
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:20 am
Nuke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am

It's actually a great part of the testing process.
The job can involve preparing assignments or presentations on a daily basis.
As an example, companies will request an Officer to attend their facility to present info regarding how a driver can properly complete a Trip Inspection.
If you cant deliver the information properly then how are you expected to deal with the day to day situations.
Every time you interact with the public or someone you've pulled over you're ending the interaction with a mini "presentation" of your findings or reason for the stop.

It's not a full blown power point presentation. It can literally be as short as 10 min.
And that’s why once’s you are hired you will receive proper training on how to perform your job duties.

During the interview nobody will deliver it properly without proper training first.

Nonsense

Do they tell you, you can refusal unsafe work training before you proceed to the car/truck because the ministry refuse to equip their officers properly

Ministry likes giving more duties to the officers like radar but refuses to make the job safer for them.

Anyways, my rant and nothing will change. Lol.
Sorry, forgot you're in this position and know everything.
I'll sit back and let you answer the questions from now on.

I'll agree, there needs to be health and safety improvements but that's not what this thread is for.
That’s right, sit back and watch a leader take over !

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:40 am

Nuke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 am
I won't even comment on that because it will mean nothing....could be 4 months, could be 8 months....the wheels can turn extremely slow at times.
Fair enough, I've seen some varying levels of madness with hiring in the OPS so I respect that. Thank you for answering all my questions, it'll be interesting to see how the process unfolds in person.
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 am
What a bizarre thing to say.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

RobLobster wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:40 am
Nuke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 am
I won't even comment on that because it will mean nothing....could be 4 months, could be 8 months....the wheels can turn extremely slow at times.
Fair enough, I've seen some varying levels of madness with hiring in the OPS so I respect that. Thank you for answering all my questions, it'll be interesting to see how the process unfolds in person.
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 am
What a bizarre thing to say.
Really ? If you are confident in your self and are a true leader, I think it is great !

Reason why the MTO along with Corrections are in crisis nobody wants to lead !

AgentM
Rookie Member

Postby AgentM » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:49 pm

@Fonthill... This forum is a forum for people to learn about opportunities and engage is proactive and positive discussion.
You aren’t bringing anything to the discussion except negativity. You’ve made your point, move on.
In looking at the forums and discussions that you wade into, it seems that you consider yourself well informed on everything, but I’m suggesting that we allow the MTO officer who is in the position and whose credentials demonstrate advanced knowledge in this particular conversation to answer questions. We’re all here as LEOs, or candidates, let’s be respectful.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

Really ? If you are confident in your self and are a true leader, I think it is great !
A true leader doesn't need to go around throwing their 2 cents into everything. A true leader also doesn't go around acting like they know better than everyone else.

I'll give you the fact that the MTO "leadership" is lacking right now, A lot of people that think they know better than everyone else, can't take advise and often don't know what they're talking about. Based on your comments to other on this thread, you would fit in really well with them :thumbsup:
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Safety Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:59 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

A true leader doesn't need to go around throwing their 2 cents into everything. A true leader also doesn't go around acting like they know better than everyone else.

I'll give you the fact that the MTO "leadership" is lacking right now, A lot of people that think they know better than everyone else, can't take advise and often don't know what they're talking about. Based on your comments to other on this thread, you would fit in really well with them :thumbsup:
Why thank you :)

I appreciate positive feed back.

Who said I am trying to act better then everybody else ? I’m here to give positive feed back to future candidates to know what they are getting themselves into.

One thing with me, I don’t bull s@@t or try to sugar coat something just to please people.

Anyways, I’m moving on as I do appreciate the MTO out there doing amazing job in an unsafe working environment. I just don’t understand, that’s all :)

smitty
Veteran Member

Postby smitty » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Fonthill, you have a terribly poor attitude and I sincerely hope that I never have to work alongside you. Best of luck to you, and please refrain from applying to the MTO.

AgentM
Rookie Member

Postby AgentM » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm

But Fonthill...
You aren’t an MTO officer so your “guidance” isn’t relevant.
It seems like you have a jaded perspective from Corrections which is rumoured to be a difficult environment to work in. I wouldn’t know as I’m not with that Ministry, so I won’t speculate.

I do however work for the Ontario Public Service so I’m happy to share some EAP numbers if you would like to vent about your concerns and discontent in the proper forum.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:35 pm

smitty wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 pm
Fonthill, you have a terribly poor attitude and I sincerely hope that I never have to work alongside you. Best of luck to you, and please refrain from applying to the MTO.
Thank you for the positive feed back :). Not sure how I have a poor attitude.
I hear, and see things going on and want people that apply to see what the real side of a job looks like.

I have sources all the place.

And being in one Ministry to another, it is like high school. I hear amazing stuff.

Anyways, I appreciate the feed back :) remember, union before management!

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm

AgentM wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm
But Fonthill...
You aren’t an MTO officer so your “guidance” isn’t relevant.
It seems like you have a jaded perspective from Corrections which is rumoured to be a difficult environment to work in. I wouldn’t know as I’m not with that Ministry, so I won’t speculate.

I do however work for the Ontario Public Service so I’m happy to share some EAP numbers if you would like to vent about your concerns and discontent in the proper forum.
No I am not. Thank you for pointing that out which I already was aware of

As being in the Ministry for Corrections word spreads like wild flowers on other Ministry how piss poor they are ran. It’s like high school and you will never truly understand until your in it

Of course my advice should be taken into judgement as Health and Safety in the work place is number one and see how bad it is in Corrections and don’t want people applying for MTO thinking it is great which it isn’t by the news article from OPSEU

Anyways, advice about EAP. Doesn’t work in Corrections and sure doesn’t work by talking to somebody over the telephone. No connection there.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:35 pm
smitty wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 pm
Thank you for the positive feed back :). Not sure how I have a poor attitude.
I hear, and see things going on and want people that apply to see what the real side of a job looks like.

I have sources all over the place.

And being in one Ministry to another, it is like high school. I hear amazing stuff.

Anyways, I appreciate the feed back :) remember, union before management!

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 am

@Fonthill

We’ve have some decent discussions about corrections in the past considering we both worked at the South yet I never knew who you were based off this forum.

Don’t let all that negativity jade you brother. You may know who I am from reading how I answered things about the South and working in the SHU.

You say union over management but I can tell you, most of our union brothers and sisters were shady, delayed and put others in more risk than our sergeants did. I’m going to make one last comment about you saying you hear things and have connections.

Working at housing as a special now has been amazing, yet before I left and even now with new recruits that I coach, I hear the same story. Why leave the jail for a job that puts you in the houses of these inmates. Truthfully the people at the South have no idea what they are talking about and a lot of it is “Speculation” which is the most poisonous thing to do.

Let’s just leave the answering of questions to the guys in the job now. MTO is a great career for many and I’m really upset back in 2014 I was unsuccessful.

Also, TChc is hiring fonthill if your that miserable and want out.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:18 am

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 am
@Fonthill

We’ve have some decent discussions about corrections in the past considering we both worked at the South yet I never knew who you were based off this forum.

Don’t let all that negativity jade you brother. You may know who I am from reading how I answered things about the South and working in the SHU.

You say union over management but I can tell you, most of our union brothers and sisters were shady, delayed and put others in more risk than our sergeants did. I’m going to make one last comment about you saying you hear things and have connections.

Working at housing as a special now has been amazing, yet before I left and even now with new recruits that I coach, I hear the same story. Why leave the jail for a job that puts you in the houses of these inmates. Truthfully the people at the South have no idea what they are talking about and a lot of it is “Speculation” which is the most poisonous thing to do.

Let’s just leave the answering of questions to the guys in the job now. MTO is a great career for many and I’m really upset back in 2014 I was unsuccessful.

Trust me. I’m not miserable. Had one major issue and that’s.

Anyways, I moved on.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:19 am

Fonthill wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:18 am
A_C_P_91 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 am
@Fonthill

Trust me. I’m not miserable. Had one major issue and that’s.

Anyways, I moved on with that issue.

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:24 am

RobLobster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 am
Unfortunately, you are not going to get a clear answer.
Read the above article to see the MTO is also in crisis and Officers are scared to speak up.

Personal, stay away from the MTO. Main reason, unsafe work place due to not being armed.

If you do, accept the job and never get out of your patrol car for unsafe safe work place.

As a TEO, I'm going to step in here. MTO Enforcement IS IN A STATE OF CRISIS. When 150+ out of 160 some officers sign a province wide group grievance regarding unsafe working conditions and poisoned work environment, I'd have to say WE ARE IN CRISIS. It's a great job but if we don't continue to push for much needed change someone is going to get killed on the side of the road. New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Alberta and soon possibly Quebec have all taken measures to properly train, equip and expand officer authorities proactively. If we all kept our mouths shut, kicked the tires of 600 trucks per year and put unwavering faith in managers who haven't done the job we'd all be none the wiser.
We need our compensation, authorities, equipment and training overhauled immediately.
Last edited by TruckDuk on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truck Trooper in the #GreatWhiteNorth MTO TEO II