MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TripleChev

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TripleChev » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Safety Guy wrote:
TripleChev wrote:
GoldenGun wrote:Is MTO Enforcement Officer training in Aylmer or St. Catharines?

Aylmer...good one!

Once upon a time MTO recruits were trained at OPC. But that was probably at least 15 years ago.

Ya...that was for that ever happening again.

LFR408
Rookie Member

Postby LFR408 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:29 pm

I just heard that lateral transfers have started happening.

Ouwen
Rookie Member

Postby Ouwen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:02 pm

It is official. Lateral transfers are happening

Icekong
Rookie Member

Postby Icekong » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm

I called and emailed trying to get some kind of information on when the next class will be or if they will be drawing from the last pool. They had no answers for me by telephone and didnt bother responding to my email at all. Typical Government!

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Icekong wrote:I called and emailed trying to get some kind of information on when the next class will be or if they will be drawing from the last pool. They had no answers for me by telephone and didnt bother responding to my email at all. Typical Government!

There's some interviews happening in May for some basic training instructor positions. Info on the next recruit class might become available at that time.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 pm

According to the guy in charge of training, the MTO is looking at training aprox 40 new recruits in the fall.
He didn't say of they would be from the last pool or if they plan on doing a new posting.

LFR408
Rookie Member

Postby LFR408 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Safety Guy wrote:According to the guy in charge of training, the MTO is looking at training aprox 40 new recruits in the fall.
He didn't say of they would be from the last pool or if they plan on doing a new posting.

Hopefully they take from the last pool seeing as they didn't take anyone from it. Then again, if they create a new pool it will be all the same people from the last pool who never got hired. Sounds like a great way to waste more money and time.

GoldenGun
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenGun » Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 am

A class in the fall means a job posting for new recruits very soon. IMHO, even if they put up a job posting for TEO’s right now, I doubt a class in the fall. I think a hiring will occur early 2016.

HR must give time for resumes to come in, then to screen them, then to interview candidates, then to score the interview, then to do criminal checks. To echo, what a waste of money to let the 2013 pool expire.

Then there is the OPSEU strike issue; a strike likely in June to hit the PAN-AM games or a strike in September to coincide with a planned teacher strike.

HwyMartin
Rookie Member

Postby HwyMartin » Thu May 14, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm still hearing they are going to be hiring 40 new officers in the fall, not sure if that's when the classes will start or the interview process.

That being said we have/are loosing a good number of officers due to lateral transfers or retirement in the region I work in, our staff numbers are down.

That's all I got folks, have a good long weekend all.

cplhick1968
Rookie Member

Postby cplhick1968 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:31 pm

My resume is waiting to go!! :D

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Fri May 15, 2015 5:09 pm

The latest update from our Director earlier this week was that they were hiring aprox 30 officers. Apparently the job ad will be posted between 1 and 4 weeks from now and training likely to start around Nov 1st.
The entire process has been slowed due to collective bargaining and of course there is always the possibility of a strike bringing the whole process to a grinding halt.

GoldenGun
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenGun » Fri May 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Safety Guy wrote:The latest update from our Director earlier this week was that they were hiring aprox 30 officers. Apparently the job ad will be posted between 1 and 4 weeks from now and training likely to start around Nov 1st.
The entire process has been slowed due to collective bargaining and of course there is always the possibility of a strike bringing the whole process to a grinding halt.

Nice, I will want to move up the rankings this time around.

GoldenGun
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenGun » Fri May 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Safety Guy wrote:The latest update from our Director earlier this week was that they were hiring aprox 30 officers. Apparently the job ad will be posted between 1 and 4 weeks from now and training likely to start around Nov 1st.

Oh, and I better use up my vacation before Nov 1st.

GoldenGun
Rookie Member

Postby GoldenGun » Wed May 20, 2015 7:43 am

Was wondering who the director is. I always thought there were several directors, one for each precinct. So when I did a google “director MTO carrier”, I got this hit https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/peter-hurst/76/1b/918 - Peter Hurst, Director of Carrier Safety and Enforcement at Ontario Ministry of Transportation. He’s got a very impressive background. But still he did a horrendous job in forecasting the headcount required and so deployed a hiring campaign that resulted in the 2013 pool expiring; a real waste of time and taxpayer dollars. Someone should be held accountable, I not pointing the finger totally on Peter because sometimes, a lot of bull gets fed up the line and you trust the advice you have been given.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Wed May 20, 2015 9:22 am

GoldenGun wrote:

Was wondering who the director is. I always thought there were several directors, one for each precinct. So when I did a google “director MTO carrier”, I got this hit https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/peter-hurst/76/1b/918 - Peter Hurst, Director of Carrier Safety and Enforcement at Ontario Ministry of Transportation. He’s got a very impressive background. But still he did a horrendous job in forecasting the headcount required and so deployed a hiring campaign that resulted in the 2013 pool expiring; a real waste of time and taxpayer dollars. Someone should be held accountable, I not pointing the finger totally on Peter because sometimes, a lot of bull gets fed up the line and you trust the advice you have been given.

Actually Peter Hurst is not our Director.
He is the Director for the Carrier Safety and Enforcement Branch (CSEB) but MTO officers fall under the Regional Operations Branch (both Branches are part of the Road User Safety Division). When i say "our" Director, I mean the Director at the top of my chain of command which is Regional Operations, that guy is Jeff hudebine.

To be fair, I will point out that although we are part of the Regional Operations Branch, all the desision makers (policies, procedures, training, equipment, uniforms, guidlines, carrier sanctions, etc...) usually are part of the Carrier Safety Enforcement Office (CEPO) which is part of the CSEB. Quite a few of the staff in CEPO were at one point enforcement officers but now they hold positions like "program advisors". They keep their authorities and still do some inspections and enforcement to keep up to date and in touch with the enforcenent group which is good because their desisions directly affect our day to day jobs.
Basically the way it works is that CSEB will be the rule makers and desision makers.

If there is one thing I've learned since I started it's that nothing in Government is ever simple or straight forward.

The issues with the 2013 pool expiring is a lot more complicated than simply overforcasting the number of new positions available.