MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Haweater
King Poobah

MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby Haweater » Fri May 22, 2009 3:06 pm

MTO just listed a bunch of MTO Transportation Enforcment Officer posistions on http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca at prety much every detachment or scale location in the provice

Here is a copy of one of the job ads to see what the qualifications are. There are 5 seperate job ads but I don't know how many postions that is. The ad below looks like it is for at least 10 positions by itself.
Job Ad
Ministry: Ministry of Transportation
Division: Road User Safety
Position Title: TRANSPORTATION ENFORCEMENT OFFICER**
Duration: Permanent
Location: Windsor, Sarnia, Waterloo, Owen Sound, Brantford, Clinton, Stoney Creek, Vineland, Fort Erie, London
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Salary: $1,121.81 - $1,227.93 per week*
Position Status: Open
Job Code: 6003 - Transport Enforcement Officer 2
Schedule: 3-7
Category: Corrections and Enforcement
Job ID: 18134

Ready to join the frontline to reduce commercial vehicle collisions and help keep Ontario`s highways and citizens safe? Then Launch your careers in the Law and Security field as a uniformed officer with the Ministry of Transportation!

You will: interact with members of the diverse and multicultural public and drivers to promote safe operation of commercial vehicles on the province`s highways; perform detailed inspections and examinations of commercial vehicles and verify compliance with legislative requirements; enforce the application of those requirements by determining the appropriate action in cases where the drivers and or vehicles are not in compliance; compile reports; gather evidence and information for prosecution and act as a Crown witness; provide information and advice to stakeholders and educate drivers and the public on the legislative requirements and policies related to transportation safety.

Locations:

Windsor: Hwy 401/Manning Road
Sarnia: Hwy 402/Camlachie Road
Waterloo: 500 Weber Street North
Owen Sound: 1450 7th Avenue
Brantford: 505 Park Road North
Clinton: 100 Don Street
Stoney Creek: 903 Barton Street; Hwy QEW at Fifty Road
Vineland: Hwy QEW at Victoria Avenue
Fort Erie: Hwy QEW at Thompson Road
London: Hwy 401/Putnam Road; Hwy 401/Elgin Road

**The location and number of positions to be filled have not been identified at this time; however, this competition will be used to create an eligibility list for any upcoming vacancies of MTO Transportation Enforcement Officer positions across Ontario up to and including May 31, 2010.

Qualifications: Ability to interpret and enforce traffic safety legislation and industry standards with knowledge of judicial rules and procedures; Analytical, investigative and problem-solving skills; Interpersonal and conflict resolution skills to interact with members of the public; Good oral and written communication skills; Initiative to independently organize and perform work; Basic math skills; Computer skills; Valid Ontario G class drivers license and good driving record; Ability to successfully complete MTO training courses, including self defence and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) training; Physical ability to conduct inspections of drivers and vehicles in various weather conditions, operate weigh equipment and utilize bus ramps; Willingness/ability to work rotating 24/7 shifts including weekends/statutory holidays; Overnight travel is required; and proficiency in English and advanced oral French required for any of the bilingual positions.

Note: Successful candidates who have not met the experience and training requirement will be hired on an underfill basis as a Transportation Enforcement Officer (TEO1) with a salary range of $1,005.85 - $1,063.67 per week. Prior to a job offer, candidates will be required to undergo a security and Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) check.

When submitting your application, please indicate which location(s) you are applying for and indicate if you are applying for a bilingual position. In addition, if you would like to be considered for other locations not reflected on this job advertisement, please apply to each job posting that you would like to be considered for.

Posting Date: Friday, May 22, 2009
Closing Date: Friday, June 12, 2009

TackleberryOnDuty

Re: MTO (Ontario) officers - provincewide postings

Postby TackleberryOnDuty » Fri May 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Maybe the 3rd time will be a charm! I've written the test twice now with no luck. Always a lot of applicants for these positions. I can only imagine how many will be applying now based upon all the different areas they're posting in.

Each year the test gets a little easier.

**fingers crossed**
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm

I wrote the test for the last job call, but I don't think I did to well. It was pretty difficult.

Okay well, we'll see what happens this time around.

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Search.aspx

ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Postby ToyCopp » Fri May 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Arnt you MCSS guys able to apply to these internaly before they come out to the public?

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri May 22, 2009 6:25 pm

ToyCopp wrote:Arnt you MCSS guys able to apply to these internaly before they come out to the public?
Negative, open posting so anyone can apply. If it was a closed posting it would not appear on the Public job site.

And Tack, if I apply it will be the 5th time around for me, so do not feel too bad.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Fri May 22, 2009 6:32 pm

ToyCopp wrote:Arnt you MCSS guys able to apply to these internaly before they come out to the public?
MCSCS

Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Yeah we're internal. All Ontario Public Service employees are internal. There are a lot of jobs that are posted internally before they go external. Some never go external.

These particular positions with the Ministry of Transportation are posted internal and external this time around. When an internal employee applied for any posting, whether external or internal, they add their employee number where it says WIN number on the application.

That hopefully holds some merit.

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri May 22, 2009 7:01 pm

I think ToyCop meant because you are OPS, do you not have first crack at them regardless of the Ministry.

And just to clarify, external postings anyone can apply for.

Internal postings have different types, it can be closed to just OPS or by specific Ministries or Ministry. You will see jobs in a Ministry that only persons in that Ministry can apply for, so they are internal and restricted. Can also be restricted by geographic area.

The OPS has now gone to a centralized HR system so the postings are done a bit differently. OPS employees will have an advantage as they are already in the OPS but not 100% guaranteed, just an advantage.

Good luck all.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 pm

TM, don't tell me you're looking at another change in career??? I set my clock ahead an hour whenever you change jobs. It usually works out just as well as watching the news. :D

One of these days you'll stop bouncin' around the minors and get drafted to the bigs... ;)

CO

herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Fri May 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Hey guys,

A few of you have said you have applied and written this test before without success. Sorry to hear.
I dont mean to dig or gain any advantage but this is my first time applying to MTO. Is the test similar to the PATI or any other police entry test out there?
Just trying to get an idea.
Good Luck To All!
Cheers
Marksy
Lifes A Garden...Dig It!

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri May 22, 2009 7:27 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:TM, don't tell me you're looking at another change in career??? I set my clock ahead an hour whenever you change jobs. It usually works out just as well as watching the news. :D

One of these days you'll stop bouncin' around the minors and get drafted to the bigs... ;)

CO
Not yet ready to make the jump to the bigs, sorry coach. :P

That is the great thing about the OPS, can bounce hear and there with no pay or senority loss. Again anyone wants to let the MRN know they need to hire me, I will stay there until retirement. ;)

ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Postby ToyCopp » Fri May 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Oh ok. Well I dunno seems unfair really in my opinion. I remember I went to go write for the finance enforcement position and I remember half the room was like all part time/full time office people from revenue.
I know at my place of employment NOTHING goes external (doesn’t matter what it is) it must go internal first then if no one is qualified THEN it goes external.

Ahahaha Apollo, MCSCS ,MPSS, MCCYS...or whatever. im sure it will change next year again.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:TM, don't tell me you're looking at another change in career??? I set my clock ahead an hour whenever you change jobs. It usually works out just as well as watching the news. :D

CO
Not yet ready to make the jump to the bigs, sorry coach. :P

That is the great thing about the OPS, can bounce hear and there with no pay or senority loss. Again anyone wants to let the MRN know they need to hire me, I will stay there until retirement. ;)
Ministry of Registered Nurses ??
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Fri May 22, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm not really qualified for it (at least I don't think I am) but I'll probably throw in, never know when you might get lucky.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Sorry Bear MNR but this other Ministry you speak of would be great to train with. ;)

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri May 22, 2009 11:22 pm

ToyCopp wrote:Oh ok. Well I dunno seems unfair really in my opinion. I remember I went to go write for the finance enforcement position and I remember half the room was like all part time/full time office people from revenue.
I know at my place of employment NOTHING goes external (doesn’t matter what it is) it must go internal first then if no one is qualified THEN it goes external.

Ahahaha Apollo, MCSCS ,MPSS, MCCYS...or whatever. im sure it will change next year again.
Funny enough it is a really fair system, almost to fair, I am of the opinion that you let OPS employees have a crack at the jobs first, then go external. You will end up with employees where they want to be and much happier.