practice RPAT's vs. The real thing

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

practice RPAT's vs. The real thing

Postby borntowin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone can give any insight to the realities of practice exams for the RPAT vs. the actual test? More specifically the "Comprehensive Guide to Canadian Police Officer Exams" by Police Prep. I purchased this book and have found it to be very helpful! I just wanted to know if this particular practice exam is even close to the real thing? (It was suggested by an RCMP recruiting officer). Thanks!
E Division
Wrote RPAT apr 29/09
Results may 21/09 pass 3.65
Received pkg may 21/09
Vision test pass
PARE june 13/09
Results pass 3:27
Selection Pkg Sent June 29
borntowin
Rookie Member

Re: practice RPAT's vs. The real thing

Postby gotchya » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm

borntowin wrote:I was wondering if anyone can give any insight to the realities of practice exams for the RPAT vs. the actual test? More specifically the "Comprehensive Guide to Canadian Police Officer Exams" by Police Prep. I purchased this book and have found it to be very helpful! I just wanted to know if this particular practice exam is even close to the real thing? (It was suggested by an RCMP recruiting officer). Thanks!

So, if you've already purchased the book, and written the test what are you asking? If you haven't written the test, how can you say it was helpful? If you're fishing for answers to questions on the exam, you're not going to get it. The exam is confidential, and you sign an agreement to that affect. Do the sample questions on the website. The test is written to be passed by anybody who has graduated from high school. Best of luck.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage
gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby borntowin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 pm

gotchya.....I believe that you've misunderstood, let me clarify... I've purchased the book....I've taken the PRACTICE test in the book(which is where I found the book to be helpful). I simply want to know if the difficulty level in the practice test is similar to the real thing(for which I have YET to take)? I think that hardly constitutes as "fishing" for answers on the questions that may appear on the real RPAT. So, although you didn't answer my original question, I do appreciate your input on the matter.... High school... got it. Thanks for the help.
E Division
Wrote RPAT apr 29/09
Received pkg may 21/09
Vision test pass
PARE june 13/09
borntowin
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 pm

I wrote it after a full day of school (10 hours) and I didn't buy any book to help me prepare. I printed off the sample questions on the RCMP website, I did them and tried to budget my time accordingly. I also brushed up on my computation, adding,multiplying, and dividing random numbers, then checked using a random calculator. Dress professionally, and comfortably for the exam and you should be fine. Its a long exam, but many have passed, and I am sure you will if you do the sample questions.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage
gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby Abby Blue » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 am

I had the same book. I did 75% of the exams that are in it, and I ended up 4th out of 59 applicants for the exam I wrote. So, yes, I would say it was helpful.
APD
Deferred - 2 years - 2009-08-11

RCMP - "E" DIV.
RPAT - 2009-06-27-pass-3.91
Package Recieved - 2009-07-20
PARE #1 - 2009-09-03 - 3:51
Package Delivered - 2009-09-03
Abby Blue
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 am

borntowin wrote:I was wondering if anyone can give any insight to the realities of practice exams for the RPAT vs. the actual test? More specifically the "Comprehensive Guide to Canadian Police Officer Exams" by Police Prep. I purchased this book and have found it to be very helpful! I just wanted to know if this particular practice exam is even close to the real thing? (It was suggested by an RCMP recruiting officer). Thanks!

About RPAT...The practice exams are similar; the real thing is harder, more to read and more logic questions.
Make sure you are good on reading passages, math and logic questions... you'll do fine.

I have not seen the book but got to practice online tests with Policeprep.... found myself to average just over 70%, found this not to be enough... following the forum, it's suggested that you practice till you get at least 90% on all tests... then you ready.

Good Luck!!
RCMP A/Constable

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.
Tango5
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby borntowin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks for your response Pod, very helpful!
E Division
Wrote RPAT apr 29/09
Received pkg may 21/09
Vision test pass
PARE june 13/09
borntowin
Rookie Member

Postby djlottawa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm

I have that book. I took the "example" test and passed.

When I did my rpat first time. I failed.

So this time around, I did something different. I actually did some of the steps it says on the RCMP website on how to prepare for the RPAT and passed :>
djl_ottawa.
"A" Division
RPAT: March 1st, 2009 - Passed
RPAT Results May 22 - Passed
Package Sent June 10, 2009
Pare:
RMSI
Poly
BGI
Medical
MMPI
Final PARE
Final Review
Security Clearance
Depot
djlottawa
Sage Member

Postby yuliya1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:32 pm

I used the same book and even though it is similar, I found real exam to be harder, especially Vocabulary part. Also, my RPAT had less math questions and more of those visual questions, where you have to identify the suspect's face on the pictures below. I probably had around 20 of them on my RPAT.
A DIVISION
RPAT March 15, 2009. - PASSED
Package received April 16, 2009
Packagse sent April 25, 2009
PARE July 25, 2009 - PASSED
INTERVIEW - Aug 24, 2009 - PASSED
POLYGRAPH - Sep 4, 2009. PASSED Sep 29, 2009
yuliya1
Rookie Member

Postby AW0408 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:15 pm

I didn't purchase the book I purchased a year membership for policeprep.com. I found the online exams really helpful and they are very similar to the real thing. You can do the tests as many times as you want and they give you excellent feedback. They have excellent teaching material as well if you are having problems in certain areas. They also have an online form where you can talk to other applicants. Good luck in the process.
A Divison
Troop 26: Nov 9- Apr 26
AW0408
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:26 am

Great feed back guys.. thank you on behalf of ---- borntowin ---- we all need support.. and you ALL are great.

Not passing the first or even second time does not mean you are 'retarded' ... the exam is hard to a point.. but with help understanding it... YOU will finally pass, and.... the RPAT is the least of the trouble.....there will be MORE 'hard' things to over come in the process.

Yes.. the Vocab questions were 'stupid' hard.. LMAO
RCMP A/Constable

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.
Tango5
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby borntowin » Sat May 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Well...I passed the RPAT....so YES the book definitely helps...I would recommend it to anyone taking the test. The actual test is a little harder, but aim to score high on the practice and your sure to pass!!!! Thanks again everyone for their awesome feedback.

Later
E Division
Wrote RPAT apr 29/09
Received pkg may 21/09
Vision test pass
PARE june 13/09
borntowin
Rookie Member

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)