Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Hopeful3
Rookie Member

Re: Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby Hopeful3 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 pm

JollyDFO wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:41 pm
Troop 119 is going well!
From what we have been told, there will be another troop going through in may, and another in September. If that helps anybody going through the current process or for those still in the pool!

Cheers,

Jolly
Hey Jolly,

curious when/how you heard that there would be a troop for May, I heard that they were just hoping to get the numbers together for one, and if not they would be sending a few of us late bloomers in September.

on that note though, anything youd wish youd done before going? more exercise or any beneficial research? lol

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Hopeful3 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 pm
JollyDFO wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:41 pm
Troop 119 is going well!
From what we have been told, there will be another troop going through in may, and another in September. If that helps anybody going through the current process or for those still in the pool!

Cheers,

Jolly
Hey Jolly,

curious when/how you heard that there would be a troop for May, I heard that they were just hoping to get the numbers together for one, and if not they would be sending a few of us late bloomers in September.

on that note though, anything youd wish youd done before going? more exercise or any beneficial research? lol
If I had to guess the may troop would be a French troop.

Hopeful3
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 am

PotatoHead wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Don't think so, I was contacted about being apart of that troop. They were just looking to get the correct amount of numbers together to launch that troop. BUT a french one would make sense considering that's what they did last year.

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 pm

Hopeful3 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 am
PotatoHead wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Don't think so, I was contacted about being apart of that troop. They were just looking to get the correct amount of numbers together to launch that troop. BUT a french one would make sense considering that's what they did last year.
Fair enough.

Atlantic
Rookie Member

Postby Atlantic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Hey everyone. I dug through this whole thread but I'm finding some conflicting info on specifically what written exams have to be completed in the testing portion of the process.

Could anyone who has been through it just tell me how many separate tests there are and generally what they are testing for? Even the specific names (I know at least one is probably a generic federal exam).

Thanks guys. I have a pretty good idea of what the fishery officer specific test is looking for but I'm really not sure how to prepare for the others.

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:09 pm

Atlantic wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 pm
Hey everyone. I dug through this whole thread but I'm finding some conflicting info on specifically what written exams have to be completed in the testing portion of the process.

Could anyone who has been through it just tell me how many separate tests there are and generally what they are testing for? Even the specific names (I know at least one is probably a generic federal exam).

Thanks guys. I have a pretty good idea of what the fishery officer specific test is looking for but I'm really not sure how to prepare for the others.
-GCT2
-Fishery Officer Knowledge Exam
-Written essay portion

This was the testing when I went through the process. Not sure if it has changed since.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 pm

PotatoHead wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:09 pm
Atlantic wrote:

-GCT2
-Written essay portion

This was the testing when I went through the process. Not sure if it has changed since.
How quick after your application do you write the exams? Is there study aids to prepare?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

5tonehenge
Rookie Member

Postby 5tonehenge » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 am

noanykey wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 pm
PotatoHead wrote:
Atlantic wrote:

-GCT2
-Written essay portion

How quick after your application do you write the exams? Is there study aids to prepare?
It's been happening pretty quick this time:

Nov 2019 - Applied at GC Jobs
Dec 2019 - Notified as successful
Jan 2020 - Video Interview
Jan 2020 - WCPT and DFO Knowledge Exams
Feb 2020 - Notified as successful
Mar 2020 - Behavioral Event Interview

Atlantic
Rookie Member

Postby Atlantic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 pm

5tonehenge wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 am
noanykey wrote:
PotatoHead wrote:

-GCT2
-Written essay portion

Very informative, thanks!

What is the difference between the video interview and the behavior event?

smitty
Veteran Member

Postby smitty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:11 pm

Atlantic wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 pm
What is the difference between the video interview and the behavior event?
DFO requires you to demonstrate 8 competencies for you to be a successful candidate. You need to use real life situations you have been in where you demonstrated these competencies. The video version requires you to pre record 2 of these competencies and the in person interview goes through the rest.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:11 am

5tonehenge wrote:
noanykey wrote:
PotatoHead wrote:

-GCT2
-Written essay portion

What's the passing mark for the WCPT? I did one for CSC and am hoping that I can transfer the results (depending on if it's high enough mark)
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

blueocean123
Rookie Member

Postby blueocean123 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 am

5tonehenge wrote:
noanykey wrote:
PotatoHead wrote:

-GCT2
-Written essay portion

What province are you in? We don't have test results ba k yet.

MustardPickle
Rookie Member

Postby MustardPickle » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Hey everyone. Second time through this process and finally have a call from a recruiter. I was wondering if someone who has worked or currently works in the Pacific Region could send me a quick message and answer a couple of questions. More specifically wondering about the cost of living near some of the DFO offices on the west coast.

blueocean123
Rookie Member

Postby blueocean123 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Anyone hear back from interviews yet?

smitty
Veteran Member

Postby smitty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm

I was informed the week after I completed my interview that I was successful. I completed psych and was informed this week that I was placed into a pool of qualified applicants. I do need to complete medical still.