Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
potentialcadet
Rookie Member

Re: Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby potentialcadet » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:14 pm

JollyDFO wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:34 pm
potentialcadet wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:15 pm
JollyDFO wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:34 am
Confirmed for February!!! Anybody else who is confirmed, send me a PM and we can do an informal meet and greet!
Congrats! Did you find out dates and locations for training?

Has anyone in Central Arctic heard anything yet?
Hey man!
Online training for me starts January 13 and then we need to report to Halifax for feb. 2-8 and then regina for the remaining 15 weeks was what I was told anyway. Have you heard anything yourself?
Nothing yet - I think central is tracking a beat behind the east coast. At least I hope that's why I haven't heard...

Squadcar
Rookie Member

Postby Squadcar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 am

Hey all. I understand that 100 new officers were hired this year, and 80 something in the years previous. I'm guessing that hiring efforts will all but freeze for the coming years following such a surge of new recruits.

Does that sound about right? Unfortunately I feel like I may have missed the proverbial boat on this one while I was getting a few years of experience in a different Peace Officer role.

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello everyone,

My first post! I wanted to say hello to my future troop mates. Anyone else from Pacific Region?

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 am
Hey all. I understand that 100 new officers were hired this year, and 80 something in the years previous. I'm guessing that hiring efforts will all but freeze for the coming years following such a surge of new recruits.

Does that sound about right? Unfortunately I feel like I may have missed the proverbial boat on this one while I was getting a few years of experience in a different Peace Officer role.
100 officers were not hired this year. You have not missed the boat. Apply next time there is a posting.

Squadcar
Rookie Member

Postby Squadcar » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:47 pm

PotatoHead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:01 pm

100 officers were not hired this year. You have not missed the boat. Apply next time there is a posting.
Great to hear! I'm ready to pull the trigger once it gets posted again. I've heard Newfoundland is still hurting for officers. Thanks.

Atlantic
Rookie Member

Postby Atlantic » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Have the educational requirements changed over the last couple years? I looked into this job a few years back but I thought it called for a two year program in a related topic, but I could be wrong. Now it says it can be in any program.

I've got a two year diploma in Paramedicine, so I didn't apply last time around.

I am also a Correctional officer (sworn) and have been for two years, would that tick the box experience in a relevant field?

blueocean123
Rookie Member

Postby blueocean123 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:25 am

Hey guys! This is my first time applying and I have made it past the initial screening. The next step is a video interview and the written tests. I'm especially nervous to write the knowledge test. I have been studying everything on the DFO website, but still don't know what to expect. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:09 pm

Atlantic wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 pm
Have the educational requirements changed over the last couple years? I looked into this job a few years back but I thought it called for a two year program in a related topic, but I could be wrong. Now it says it can be in any program.

I've got a two year diploma in Paramedicine, so I didn't apply last time around.

I am also a Correctional officer (sworn) and have been for two years, would that tick the box experience in a relevant field?
Maybe. Apply and find out. It's up to you to explain to them how you are qualified for the job.

JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Postby JollyDFO » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 pm

Got my package in the mail along with my hand grips. Has anybody else gotten confirmation yet?

Fishyboy
Rookie Member

Postby Fishyboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm

JollyDFO wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 pm
Got my package in the mail along with my hand grips. Has anybody else gotten confirmation yet?
still waiting over here in Pacific, that being said my medical was scheduled for December 18th, so I hopefully am not out of the running yet. Congrats on getting accepted!

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 am

JollyDFO wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 pm
Question Jolly,

Is it a Conditional Letter like in CSC that shows where you're going to be posted? Or is it one of those things you find out in Depot?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:29 pm

They let you know as soon as possible where you will be posted. A handful have been told where they are going.

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:44 pm

Less than 2 weeks to go.

Question to all going from this group...

What are you packing for Regina?

BC winters arent really winters in comparison, any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Base layers, mid layers, parka, wool socks, probabaly a must. What are some forgotten items?

Are insulated winter boots needed?

Enviro83
Rookie Member

Postby Enviro83 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently posted in Burlington Ontario if anyone has C&A specific questions.

@Rangerdan4 - How much winter gear you need is a tough call, I only wore base layers a couple of days and didn't take winter boots at all. You'll be in duty boots for at least half of your training (not sure if they are switching anything up) and in business casual for the rest. I got away with Blundstones for pretty much the entire stay. Good winter gloves and hat are a must though.
A lot of people ended up buying slippers or crocs for in the trailer (or whatever housing you are in).

Cheers all. And good luck in the process!

JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Postby JollyDFO » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:41 pm

Troop 119 is going well!
From what we have been told, there will be another troop going through in may, and another in September. If that helps anybody going through the current process or for those still in the pool!

Cheers,

Jolly