Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Re: Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby PotatoHead » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:32 pm

Hopeful3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 am
PotatoHead wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:33 pm
blueocean123 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:42 pm
Anyone know when the next troop is going through?
There's a French troop going through in the near future and I think the next English troop will be around August 2021. I'm not sure how accurate this is, just what I remember from a call a few weeks ago.
Did they reach out to you?
Im in the qualified candidate pool, and havent heard a word since they asked about the french troop. Im hoping that some wheels are in motion for sooner than August...
I'm a fishery officer. That's just what I remember hearing on a work call. I didn't write it down so I don't know how accurate it is, plus with covid things are always up in the air.

MustardPickle
Rookie Member

Postby MustardPickle » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Just received my first contact since March - a short email stating "There will be another Fishery Officer Trainee selection process in the near future. The online recruitment poster will include details for candidates who qualified in previous processes."

Looks like they will be doing another round of interviews before the next troop is selected. Keep an eye out!

JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Postby JollyDFO » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm

MustardPickle wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:29 pm
Just received my first contact since March - a short email stating "There will be another Fishery Officer Trainee selection process in the near future. The online recruitment poster will include details for candidates who qualified in previous processes."

Looks like they will be doing another round of interviews before the next troop is selected. Keep an eye out!
So now, are you in the qualified pool? I’m a fishery officer now and I’m just curious if they’re having successful applicants redo their interviews

MustardPickle
Rookie Member

Postby MustardPickle » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:35 pm

JollyDFO wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm
MustardPickle wrote:

So now, are you in the qualified pool? I’m a fishery officer now and I’m just curious if they’re having successful applicants redo their interviews
I was in the qualified pool - completed every stage of the process and was hoping for the phone call. I’m assuming this will be like earlier competitions where I can choose to redo the interview or carry my scores through to the new process and hope I am successful.

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:17 am

JollyDFO wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm
MustardPickle wrote:

That's usually how it goes. Qualified pool is good for the next immediate competition. Saves time for applicant and hiring staff.

How's it going grandpa?

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Hey FO applicants,

Mark your calendars. New competition about to start December 21 2020.

Good luck!

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Rangerdan4 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:58 pm
Hey FO applicants,

Mark your calendars. New competition about to start December 21 2020.

Good luck!
I just got that email!
Gonna try and apply.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Farwell24
Rookie Member

Postby Farwell24 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:07 pm

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard and/or received any further information regarding the latest recruitment process. Applications were due on the 11th of January, so I am trying to figure out a time frame for when people are likely to hear back if they get through the initial screening and therefore offered the first interview. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Zach
Rookie Member

Postby Zach » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:22 am

I applied during the latest application process as well. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 pm

Timeframe from my competition.

Mid March deadline - Initial App
April / first week of May - Notification of passing initial screening, given exam dates
May Exams -
June - Online interview screening
August - BEI Interview
September - November - PARE/ Medical / Psych
November - Offer for seat at training.

Roughly a month between each step. Give or take.

Based on that, they might be cooking up an August / September troop.

Zach
Rookie Member

Postby Zach » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Dan! That gives us applicants a better understanding of the timeline we should expect.

Adziar86
Rookie Member

Postby Adziar86 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:18 pm

Hey all, wondering if any one has heard back yet since the applications in January? On the application status mine just says it's retained so I guess that's a good sign at least.

Zach
Rookie Member

Postby Zach » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:03 pm

I'm in the same boat. No email only the retained status online.

LordTunderrin17
Rookie Member

Postby LordTunderrin17 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Any word from the guys inside about a potential-jump in salary? Talking with people who got out a few years ago it sounded like something was around the corner, but I am guessing nothing came of it judging by the recruitment website still having a fairly low scale

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm

LordTunderrin17 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:08 pm
Any word from the guys inside about a potential-jump in salary? Talking with people who got out a few years ago it sounded like something was around the corner, but I am guessing nothing came of it judging by the recruitment website still having a fairly low scale
There's a pending reclassification. Recent bump 6.035% and enforcement allowance increased from 3000 to 3500. All in the new collective agreement found online. The reclassification is being reviewed at this time. All I can disclose for the time being.