Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Re: Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby JollyDFO » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Hey guys,
Troop 119 got sent home from depot last week due to the virus. This will push Troop 120 back from starting in May as we still have 9 weeks of training left. We’re just waiting on word of when we’re returning to depot to finish up!

LordTunderrin17
Rookie Member

Postby LordTunderrin17 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:33 pm

If you are in the pool doesn't that mean you are good to go?

MustardPickle
Rookie Member

Postby MustardPickle » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 pm

LordTunderrin17 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:33 pm
If you are in the pool doesn't that mean you are good to go?
Not necessarily - I have been in the qualified pool for the previous two or three hiring cycles (since 2017) and have only this year had any further contact after being placed in the pool.

From what I’ve been told it really depends on what region you’ve chosen as your #1 and how many seats they have allotted for training.

juby14
Rookie Member

Postby juby14 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:27 pm

MustardPickle wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm
Hey everyone. Second time through this process and finally have a call from a recruiter. I was wondering if someone who has worked or currently works in the Pacific Region could send me a quick message and answer a couple of questions. More specifically wondering about the cost of living near some of the DFO offices on the west coast.
Are you in the current troop 119 that was sent home or are you hoping to get picked up in future troops? I went through last year with troop 117 graduating in May and currently work on in pacific region. It changes every year for location but generally you aren't allowed to pick your posting from vacant positions, they offer you a spot they want to fill so I wouldn't look into housing prices of different communities too much. Feel free to message me but I don't check this site too often

MustardPickle
Rookie Member

Postby MustardPickle » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:16 pm

juby14 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:27 pm
MustardPickle wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm
Hey everyone. Second time through this process and finally have a call from a recruiter. I was wondering if someone who has worked or currently works in the Pacific Region could send me a quick message and answer a couple of questions. More specifically wondering about the cost of living near some of the DFO offices on the west coast.
Are you in the current troop 119 that was sent home or are you hoping to get picked up in future troops? I went through last year with troop 117 graduating in May and currently work on in pacific region. It changes every year for location but generally you aren't allowed to pick your posting from vacant positions, they offer you a spot they want to fill so I wouldn't look into housing prices of different communities too much. Feel free to message me but I don't check this site too often
Hoping to be in a future troop. Had a recruiter from the pacific contact me and shed some light on the (in her opinion) two highest chance locations for new recruits there - in the end I switched my preferred location to the east coast.

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:15 am

JollyDFO wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:11 pm
Hey guys,
Troop 119 got sent home from depot last week due to the virus. This will push Troop 120 back from starting in May as we still have 9 weeks of training left. We’re just waiting on word of when we’re returning to depot to finish up!
Jolly, so nice of you to keep the hopefuls in the loop. NOW GET BACK IN YOUR CELL.

:drinking:

JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Postby JollyDFO » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Rangerdan4 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:15 am
JollyDFO wrote:
Hey guys,
Jolly, so nice of you to keep the hopefuls in the loop. NOW GET BACK IN YOUR CELL.
At this point, I can’t wait to get back to me cell! You on the other side of the wall sounding like you’re about to come through it 😂 all in due time, but hopefully sooner rather than later!

juby14
Rookie Member

Postby juby14 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Rangerdan4 wrote:
JollyDFO wrote:
Hey guys,

I hear you guys are in E block trailers as well! Where are you getting posted to in Pacific when you finish? Lucky most of the pacific got told where you were going before hand. When we went Pacific was the only region who didnt know their posting before coming to Regina. We found out with 2 week left in training.

Hopeful3
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful3 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Anyone heard anything lately?

been in the dark since the "we're putting everything on hold" email

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 pm

juby14 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:48 pm
Rangerdan4 wrote:
JollyDFO wrote:
Hey guys,

I hear you guys are in E block trailers as well! Where are you getting posted to in Pacific when you finish? Lucky most of the pacific got told where you were going before hand. When we went Pacific was the only region who didnt know their posting before coming to Regina. We found out with 2 week left in training.
Hi Juby,

Yep, 5 star trailers :D

I will be in the Pacific region when I finish... but won't say the specific spot on the public forum. Feel free to drop me a PM though to make proper introductions ;) I check the forums periodically.

Rangerdan4
Rookie Member

Postby Rangerdan4 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 pm

Hopeful3 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Hopeful,

We are still waiting on word on when we will be resuming training. I imagine everything is on hold until troops are moving through again. We have to graduate first to make room for the next bunch!

:alright:

JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Postby JollyDFO » Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Which hopefully, is sooner rather than later may I add. RCMP troops are starting back on the 25th. That’s the only thing I know for certain right now. Troop 119, at least myself, I have my fingers crossed we’ll hear something this week!

Rangerdan4 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 pm
Hopeful3 wrote:

Hopeful,

We are still waiting on word on when we will be resuming training. I imagine everything is on hold until troops are moving through again. We have to graduate first to make room for the next bunch!

Hopeful3
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful3 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 am

JollyDFO wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 pm
Which hopefully, is sooner rather than later may I add. RCMP troops are starting back on the 25th. That’s the only thing I know for certain right now. Troop 119, at least myself, I have my fingers crossed we’ll hear something this week!

Rangerdan4 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 pm
Hopeful3 wrote:

Hopeful,

That's good news, I'm hoping things move quickly.
Been on hold for a long time here so i'm getting a little antsy lol