Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

diver63748

Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby diver63748 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is in the Fisheries Officer application process right now. I had my interview on Friday and I think it went well and just interested if other people are applying?

Thanks
diver

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby IrishCanadian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Ohh I'm sure there are quite a few people applying! And I imagine a couple will poke around here.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:51 pm

I didn't end up going for testing. I decided not to peruse it. Here is some new information I found:

http://www.mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communicat ... 1-06E.html

Training

All Fishery Officers must graduate from the Fishery Officer Career Progression Program (FOCPP). This is a national program designed to train officers in a variety of areas that they require to perform their enforcement duties.

To be considered for the FOCPP, all candidates must have completed a two-year, post-secondary education program and have demonstrated experience in renewable and natural resources, law enforcement or the fishing industry. They must also meet medical, physical and psychological standards.

The two-year national training program consists of course work and on-the-job training. It begins with a five-week course in Ontario, where cadets learn federal fisheries and habitat policies, and legislation, as well as communications and the basics of the Canadian judicial system. A further six weeks in the Maritimes region introduces cadets to the management, biology, harvesting methods and regulatory requirements of a variety of fish and shellfish species. The next step is seven weeks at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) training academy in Regina, Saskatchewan where cadets receive training in officer safety, firearms, self-defense, investigation techniques and the Criminal Code. The final stage of the program lasts 18 months and consists of field training during which cadets are coached under the guidance of a senior Fishery Officer.

Responsibilities

Fishery Officers are charged with enforcement of the Fisheries Act and the Oceans Act, as well as many other Acts and Regulations relating to fisheries in Canada. They monitor commercial, recreational and aboriginal fisheries to ensure compliance with a conservation-based, precautionary approach to fishing. Officers also conduct patrols during conservation closures and collect evidence of illegal activities with the view of prosecuting offenders.

Their daily activities include boarding and inspecting fishing vessels for valid licenses, gear types, and quotas as well as the monitoring of conservation closures and seasons. During patrols and enforcement operations, Fishery Officers collect evidence of illegal activities with the view of prosecuting offenders. In addition to enforcement operations, Fishery Officers enhance public awareness in several ways including talking to school children and public interest groups about DFO activities and issues. Ultimately, their goal is the conservation and protection of Canada's fresh water and marine fisheries resource, and its related habitat.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/enf-loi/ ... nt-eng.htm

Fishery Officer Career

A career as a Fishery Officer can be challenging, adventurous and rewarding. Fishery Officers are trained to carry out a wide range of duties, on land and at sea, and are the federal government's first line of support in:

* enforcing the Fisheries Act and other related acts and regulations;
* protecting fishery resources and fish habitats by conducting patrols on the land, on the sea and in the air; and
* participating in public education and awareness of the fishery resources and habitat protection.

Duties

Fishery Officers' duties include:

* carrying out inspections and enforcing the Fisheries Act and regulations that govern activity in Aboriginal, commercial, recreational and international fisheries;
* conducting investigations, collecting and presenting evidence, preparing court documents related to investigations and providing advice to the Crown in the prosecution of violations;
* promoting stewardship of resources and developing community relationships to support a strong conservation ethic;
* participating in training programs;
* participating in public education; and
* acting as a departmental liaison in communities and assisting other federal, provincial, territorial, local and international enforcement agencies.

Skills

Fishery Officers routinely work under physically and psychologically challenging conditions. For example, Fishery Officers:

* endure extreme temperatures, harsh weather, and rough terrain and seas;
* are called on to respond to emergencies, apprehend armed or aggressive suspects, and board vessels in dangerous conditions;
* are required to concentrate over long periods of time in spite of fatigue and other stressful conditions; and
* may risk severe personal injury.

To cope with these demands, Fishery Officers require a fundamental set of skills. Officers should have:

* strong knowledge of the Fisheries Act, regulations and related legislation; fisheries biology and ecology, habitat requirements, aquaculture, stock assessment methods and fishing techniques; and other information vital to enforcement duties;
* good written and verbal communication skills;
* good cardiovascular health, stamina, strength and dexterity;
* good hearing and vision, including colour and peripheral vision; and
* the ability to sustain concentration and intellectual effort.

Training

Fisheries and Oceans Canada recruits and trains candidates to become Fishery Officers through a 36-month Fishery Officer Career Progression Program.

Candidates learn skills in:

* fish identification;
* conducting patrols;
* communication;
* negotiation; and
* enforcement methods.

Training takes place in government facilities such as the Coast Guard College in Sydney, Nova Scotia, and the RCMP Academy in Regina, Saskatchewan.
How to Apply

Fishery Officer positions are announced via the Public Service Commission. Interested individuals may also call the Public Service Commission's InfoTel Service (1-800-645-5605).

For more information, please contact the nearest Regional Recruitment and Training Manager.

Oslo
Rookie Member

Postby Oslo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:06 pm

The job sounds cool, but the salary structure detailed is terrible. Looks like 3-4 years after training starts before one hits the 52 grand mark. Fine if you're 21 and just out of university, I suppose.

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Oslo wrote:The job sounds cool, but the salary structure detailed is terrible. Looks like 3-4 years after training starts before one hits the 52 grand mark. Fine if you're 21 and just out of university, I suppose.
I thought it started at 52K for the first year of training and went up from there? Anyone confirm or deny?
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm

MikeR wrote:
Oslo wrote:The job sounds cool, but the salary structure detailed is terrible. Looks like 3-4 years after training starts before one hits the 52 grand mark. Fine if you're 21 and just out of university, I suppose.
I thought it started at 52K for the first year of training and went up from there? Anyone confirm or deny?
It will depend if your hired in the Cadet program or as a DFO off the hop. The ones that were posted a bit ago were the Cadet position that ends up being a DFO position. Now do not quote me on that but that is the way I read it.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:43 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:
MikeR wrote:
It will depend if your hired in the Cadet program or as a DFO off the hop. The ones that were posted a bit ago were the Cadet position that ends up being a DFO position. Now do not quote me on that but that is the way I read it.
Yea, thats also how I understood it, they started as a cadet at 52K and as they progressed to becoming a full DFO their salary gets up to I think high 60s (definitely don't quote me on that) It's a great gig if you live out on the coasts, here in southern Ontario, not a lot of DFO positions in this area
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Sudbury and Burlington are their two stations.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:Sudbury and Burlington are their two stations.
Burlington would be good, Sudbury isn't too bad either, How many positions are in those locations though?

warden602
King Poobah

Postby warden602 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:48 pm

The DFO cadet program is the single point of entry for new fishery officers. It's basically a graduated training program with increasing levels of responsibility and pay as you go (and exams to write at each level) before achieving full, permanent status. I suppose it's set up that way so if you turn out to be a complete knob, they have plenty of opportunity to show you the door. There IS at least one DFO officer I know on Blueline, perhaps he could shed more light on the subject.

The pay ain't the greatest, but like my outfit, it's a lifestyle choice.

As for what they do - if you're on the coast, you're doing the proverbial "fish cop" routine, chasing poachers, inspecting commercial fish operations etc. If you're inland (i.e. AB, SK, MB, ON, QC) you're just doing habitat alteration investigations, and from my understanding there's been some cuts to that program over the past few years so I'm not sure how many positions are left.

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 am

warden602 wrote:The DFO cadet program is the single point of entry for new fishery officers. It's basically a graduated training program with increasing levels of responsibility and pay as you go (and exams to write at each level) before achieving full, permanent status. I suppose it's set up that way so if you turn out to be a complete knob, they have plenty of opportunity to show you the door. There IS at least one DFO officer I know on Blueline, perhaps he could shed more light on the subject.

The pay ain't the greatest, but like my outfit, it's a lifestyle choice.

As for what they do - if you're on the coast, you're doing the proverbial "fish cop" routine, chasing poachers, inspecting commercial fish operations etc. If you're inland (i.e. AB, SK, MB, ON, QC) you're just doing habitat alteration investigations, and from my understanding there's been some cuts to that program over the past few years so I'm not sure how many positions are left.
Thankyou for clearing that up for us. Although the environmental enforcement jobs don't have the best pay, you have to admit they have some pretty nice toys (ATVs, Boats, Trucks etc.) :D In addition, there is a je ne sais quoi about working off in the bush off on your own, it has a certain appeal to it.

warden602
King Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:38 am

MikeR wrote:
Thankyou for clearing that up for us. Although the environmental enforcement jobs don't have the best pay, you have to admit they have some pretty nice toys (ATVs, Boats, Trucks etc.) :D In addition, there is a je ne sais quoi about working off in the bush off on your own, it has a certain appeal to it.
1/3rd of my salary is paid in dollars

1/3rd of my salary is paid in scenery

1/3rd is taxes.

But seriously - friends of mine in other jobs talk about their new boats and quads and snowmobiles and how much fun they have with them on their time off. I may not own any of that myself, but I can just turn to them and say "I get paid to do that." :D

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:11 pm

warden602 wrote:
MikeR wrote:
1/3rd of my salary is paid in dollars

1/3rd of my salary is paid in scenery

1/3rd is taxes.

But seriously - friends of mine in other jobs talk about their new boats and quads and snowmobiles and how much fun they have with them on their time off. I may not own any of that myself, but I can just turn to them and say "I get paid to do that." :D
my man, thats what I'm talking about :D

diver63748

Postby diver63748 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:21 pm

from the information I got at the interview. The central arctic region has about 135 officers (alberta, sask, manitoba, ontario, nwt, nunavut) while quebec has about 50, east coast about 300 or so and a couple hundred on the pacific coast. There are about 650 or so officers total across the country.

kukuf
Rookie Member

Postby kukuf » Fri May 29, 2009 2:13 pm

I just got an email saying I past the interview and have been entered in the pool. Do we just sit around and wait now until someone gets a hold of us? How do you find out what region you will be able to work in?