York Regional Police Interview

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: York Regional Police Interview

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:25 pm

recceguy wrote:They ask you to pull all other applications with other services? Seems like they would be losing a lot of qualified people if they did that....

I was wondering the same thing. How long does the entire application process take after the interview? If they are asking you to have no active applications with other services then I would want weekly updates on how I'm doing and when I'll be done. I would hate to get gonged after several months of waiting and have to start over with a different service. I guess if I did get gonged that late in the process I probably wouldn't be getting on with another service anyway.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:21 am

Like i've said earlier, York is notorious for not calling people back. THey tell you "don't call us we'll call you" so people wait and wait and wait and they never get called. They don't have the decency to at least call you and say "thanks but no thanks" they just let you waste your time.
In my opinion, any agency that asks you to remove all your applications with other services isn't worth the effort. We are expected to be competitive, but they have to be competitive too.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:48 pm

I agree with you with this one meathead1. I've had my PREP updated for awhile now and now I sit. I've called and got the be patent, my file is complete, I'm in this competitive stage, yet I wait and wait. If I wait any longer with them my PREP will be expired yet again. Why's it so hard to say either "yes" or "get lost".

Matt

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Matt_YRP wrote:I agree with you with this one meathead1. I've had my PREP updated for awhile now and now I sit. I've called and got the be patent, my file is complete, I'm in this competitive stage, yet I wait and wait. If I wait any longer with them my PREP will be expired yet again. Why's it so hard to say either "yes" or "get lost".

Matt

fuck York, apply to other places that have the decency to treat you with respect.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Rossignol_2000
Rookie Member

Postby Rossignol_2000 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Well, just got home from a long haul at work to start my weekend by getting the "letter of doom" in the mail. Let me fill everyone in on the true reason to why I was rejected and not the general BS reason of not being competitive and blah blah blah.

10 years ago I was 01 of MANY young children under the age of 15 who were only questioned about a vandalisim that occurred. Kids were pointing fingers at kids and no one was found guilty of this vandalism. Now because I was questioned and listed as a "suspect" York told me that with this in my background, and I quote the investigatiors EXACT words to me over the phone.... "

You will NEVER become a police officer with any service so long as you have this in your history and I know this for a fact".

I did my research with the police service that investigated this crime only to find out my status as "Cleared- Unfounded"..... Meaning I didn't do it and the crime was never "solved". I also spoke with many sergeants and people working for the force and they couldnt believe York was making this an issue.

York considers this to be a BIG issue? I feel sorry for anyone else who may have something as similar situation as I have because that is a horrible way to screen someone out.

Thanks York Region, I look forward to calling you when im with another service.

Good luck everyone!

sbtag
Rookie Member

Postby sbtag » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I just got the letter in the mail today...
Looks like the ltter can be good or bad, because mine said I passed the pre background questionnaire and writing component!!
I did the PBQ on october 8th like some others, so hopefully you guys hear from them soon. Now the letter says to just be patient. Hopefully an interview will follow

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 am

Rossignol_2000 wrote:Well, just got home from a long haul at work to start my weekend by getting the "letter of doom" in the mail. Let me fill everyone in on the true reason to why I was rejected and not the general BS reason of not being competitive and blah blah blah.

10 years ago I was 01 of MANY young children under the age of 15 who were only questioned about a vandalisim that occurred. Kids were pointing fingers at kids and no one was found guilty of this vandalism. Now because I was questioned and listed as a "suspect" York told me that with this in my background, and I quote the investigatiors EXACT words to me over the phone.... "

You will NEVER become a police officer with any service so long as you have this in your history and I know this for a fact".

I did my research with the police service that investigated this crime only to find out my status as "Cleared- Unfounded"..... Meaning I didn't do it and the crime was never "solved". I also spoke with many sergeants and people working for the force and they couldnt believe York was making this an issue.

York considers this to be a BIG issue? I feel sorry for anyone else who may have something as similar situation as I have because that is a horrible way to screen someone out.

Good luck everyone!

You should ask them why their holding something that happened when you were a minor against you. :ponder:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

slednecksonya
Rookie Member

Postby slednecksonya » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:44 am

Wow, sorry to hear that crap news about York! Doesn't seem like a legit reason to me at all.
I'm still waiting on a letter from that Oct 8th screening...I will let you know the good/bad news.
Best of luck to others!

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey slednecksonya

Did you hear anything back from your Oct 8th screening? Hopefully some good news.

Matt

ANRI
Rookie Member

Postby ANRI » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

I had my PBQ on 8th Oct - got a call couple of days back asking for additional information for my file to put me thru for an interview, I believe I just missed an Interview date in this year - anyways I was told they are looking for next year intakes and only bare minimum interviews are called for rest of the year due to vacation plans by the Interview staff and Dec class is full.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info ANRI. Did they mention how many spots they are looking for the next intake?

Matt

ANRI
Rookie Member

Postby ANRI » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:09 pm

No - I will ask when I go to see them next week or so......

slednecksonya
Rookie Member

Postby slednecksonya » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 am

I am still waiting on any type of reply!! I've already applied somewhere else in the meantime again. I know I have to be patient, but I also just want my foot in the door. I'll work anywhere..
I hope I hear soon.

herewegoagain
Rookie Member

Postby herewegoagain » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Rossignol_2000 wrote:Well, just got home from a long haul at work to start my weekend by getting the "letter of doom" in the mail. Let me fill everyone in on the true reason to why I was rejected and not the general BS reason of not being competitive and blah blah blah.

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear about your interview.
I posted this about a year ago but had a very similar situation during my interview with York.
I knew going in that YORK held very tough interviews I am fortunate enough to closely know 5 YORK officers as well as others who have interveiwed with them.
My subject was geared toward me admitting to occasionally going out after hockey for a beer and some wings with the guys. To keep a long story short, the recruiter grilled me and said that I have driven under the influence and therefore "NO POLICE FORCE WILL HIRE ME BECAUSE OF THIS.....THAT IS A FACT. YORK DOES NOT HIRE PEOPLE WHO DRINK AND DRIVE"
Wierd because I KNOW A YORK POLICE OFFICER who has had a 12 hour suspension for DUI on his record but still was hired. Also I find it hard to believe that with all the police hockey leagues that are running these days that not one officer goes out with another officer after a game for an adult beverage......no that would never happen.
Anyways, to all of you interviewing or hoping to interview with YORK, buckle up.....its a fun one. That being said, the guys/gals that i do know that have made it through love working for them.
Good Luck To All.
Be Safe!
Lifes A Garden...Dig It!

slednecksonya
Rookie Member

Postby slednecksonya » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:09 am

It sounds like there is just one guy who loves saying "you will never get hired." hahaha Typical.
I hope you guys didn't get discouraged, keep trying!