York Regional Police Interview

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Matt_YRP
Seasoned Member

York Regional Police Interview

Postby Matt_YRP » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello everyone

I recently applied to York Regional Police and I have an interview in April. I was wondering to anyone who has done the interview with them in the past or recently with this new blended interview they now have could give me some advice or helpful tips? With out causing any confidentially agreement problems.

I have a good idea of what they will most likely ask but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Matt_YRP
Seasoned Member

Re: York Regional Police Interview

Postby Matt_YRP » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Hey Smith06

Thanks for the reply. Some great advice there. Very much appreciated.

Yeah I've seen some posts here and there about York Police catching you off guard with a question here and there that you may not expect. I agree with you 100% that with out the good communication you will not be a very effective police officer. I'm guessing that's why the communication compatency is used quite often with police interviews.

Thanks again for the advice.

Matt

Toronto1
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 am

I just got the call for a pre-background questionnaire with YRP. Guessing this is additional pre-screening prior to receiving an interview.

It's quite interesting to see how different services tackle the recruiting process. So far, OPP and York have been quick to respond to my application with next steps - less than two weeks from the date of submission for both. Took over a month to get a response from Peel and it was only an acknowledgment email from the recruiter stating that my file has been assigned to him and is in 'active' status. I understand there are a number of factors that contribute to these types of delays (number of applicants, size of recruitment team, etc) but first impressions go a long way, not just in the eyes of the recruiter on the applicant but the applicant on the service as well! ;)

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:53 pm

as far as i know, York is the only agency that will make you withdraw all your active applications (with other services) if you are successful with the interview and provide written proof that you have done so. When I did my interview with them a few years ago, they also wanted me to write the Chief an essay about why I would be a good fit for them. They were politely told to shove it. Not sure if they are still doing this or not.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Matt_YRP
Seasoned Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:24 pm

That's the first time i've heard about writing an essay to the Chief. I remember the girl behind the desk im assuming a recruiter mentioning something about an essay of some type when I handed in my application. Unless I heard wrong. Any other things to possibly watch out for that you can remember?

Matt

Toronto1
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Matt - did you do the pre-background questionnaire with YRP? I'm writing April 22nd along with 25 to 30 others.

This is the next step in the process after you hand in your application and is 'pre-interview'.

From their site:

Candidates who meet the criteria may be called in to fill out a Pre-Background Questionnaire along with additional forms. These forms will be given to the candidate by a recruiting agent, and will be reviewed. At this stage only those who are selected will be called in for a Blended Competency Interview.

Matt_YRP
Seasoned Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Hey Toronto1

Yes i'm doing my pre-background April 22 as well. 20-30 people do this all in one day? Wow. First time doing all this stuff just got the COR about a week ago lol. Are you fimilier with the pre-background at all? have you done this sort of thing with other services applied to, or is this your first as well?

Matt

Toronto1
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:10 am

All depends on where you're applying to. Coming in for a pre-background questionnaire is a first for me. Each service is different. York doesn't ask for specific background information pertaining to family, driving record, past address history, etc. on their application and is probably why they have this second step before the interview. Peel on the other hand asks for everything with the exception of a blood and urine sample - TPS is similar. OPP's application is the same as Yorks, however, if you get through pre-screening they send you an interview package with the background forms and will call you to schedule an interview. Different methods, different processes....it's just how they roll.

I applied to Peel early 2008 when it was free and when they were doing their in-house physical (not PREP) because I didn't want to pony up the cash for ATS. I ended up traveling for work most of the year and pulled my application. Finished up ATS this year and I've applied to OPP, York and taking another stab at Peel. Might apply to TPS as well.....just have to get my damn immunizations!

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:23 pm

I know a guy who applied and got on with York. He had to pull his other applications,provide proof, and then write a letter to the chief about why he wants to be on with York.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:I know a guy who applied and got on with York. He had to pull his other applications,provide proof, and then write a letter to the chief about why he wants to be on with York.
That's a little ridiculous don't you think?

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 pm

yep I agree but he got hired guess they mustve liked his letter etc.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

CanuckCop
Rookie Member

Postby CanuckCop » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:20 pm

I have been called for an interview with York, I did their PBQ session last month.

psni

Postby psni » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 pm

CanuckCop wrote:I have been called for an interview with York, I did their PBQ session last month.
Congrats! What was the PBQ like?
faber est quisque fortunae suae
every man is an architect of his own fortune

yunach

Postby yunach » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 pm

I just received a call from York and booked my PBQ date!

Anyone have any advice? I havent filled one out yet.
What kind of questions?
Any paperwork I could bring along to help me out?

Thanks guys.

psni

Postby psni » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Is anyone else doing their PBQ April 8th??
faber est quisque fortunae suae
every man is an architect of his own fortune