OPP Auxiliary

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

bunkergorilla519
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Auxiliary

Postby bunkergorilla519 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Well it’s official I have my interview stage next week! Does anyone have any pointers or input. I could really use the help and maybe some incouragement.
OPP AUXILIARY
Submitted: Dec 13,2017
PI:June 27, 2018
PATI:Awaiting
Home Interview:Awaiting
Psych: Awaiting

subbie

Postby subbie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

For my unit I sit on the interview panel. Lets put it this way, with out disclosing specifics, if you have done any kind of law enforcement interviewing, its along the same lines. Be prepared to rely and talk about your experiences truthfully and in detail.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

duartepe
Rookie Member

Postby duartepe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 pm

As what subbie said, BE SPECIFIC especially dates and time.

They might say before commencing the interview that they will not do eye to eye contact to you during the interview. So be confident, truthful and straight to the point when answering the questions.

Give yourself time to construct your words in a professional way before saying it. there is no time limit.

KNOW THE OPP and YOUR DETACHMENT'S ACTION PLANS

know your goals and how will you serve the service.

and prove them youre worthy

noobxcamper
Rookie Member

Postby noobxcamper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:35 am

Hey, I'm new to the forums and I stumbled upon this thread because I too want to apply to the OPP Auxiliary. I have a few questions though.

1. I have been asked to resign from my previous workplace, I did something I'm not proud of and I have changed since then. Because of that I have not put that place of employment on my application and I marked "no" on the box where it says if I have ever been asked to resign. The question is, if I do put this workplace on my application, will this disqualify me from being an auxiliary? Or should I just say that I quit?

2. I do not have a lot of volunteer experience (hardly any) and have only held 2 part time jobs so far, one that was mentioned above and for only about 8 months and the one I hold currently for about 1.5 years. Will this affect my application? I want to volunteer for the OPP because I am passionate about that line of work and I plan on becoming a PC when I'm done school.

Thanks in advance.

subbie

Postby subbie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:40 am

1. I have been asked to resign from my previous workplace, I did something I'm not proud of and I have changed since then. Because of that I have not put that place of employment on my application and I marked "no" on the box where it says if I have ever been asked to resign. The question is, if I do put this workplace on my application, will this disqualify me from being an auxiliary? Or should I just say that I quit?

I don't know if your trolling or what... but to give you the benefit of the doubt...

The way I read and interpret what you have written here says to me that you knowingly lied on your application and then proceeded to come onto a public forum and let everyone know you did so. Do you think that was a smart idea... How difficult is it to simply tell the truth. No one is an angel. Man up, re do your application with the truth and nothing but the truth written on it, and maybe you will be considered once its submitted.

Best practice would be not to lie. You have displayed a lack of integrity and then openly told everyone here about it.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

noobxcamper
Rookie Member

Postby noobxcamper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:09 pm

subbie wrote:1. I have been asked to resign from my previous workplace, I did something I'm not proud of and I have changed since then. Because of that I have not put that place of employment on my application and I marked "no" on the box where it says if I have ever been asked to resign. The question is, if I do put this workplace on my application, will this disqualify me from being an auxiliary? Or should I just say that I quit?

I don't know if your trolling or what... but to give you the benefit of the doubt...

The way I read and interpret what you have written here says to me that you knowingly lied on your application and then proceeded to come onto a public forum and let everyone know you did so. Do you think that was a smart idea... How difficult is it to simply tell the truth. No one is an angel. Man up, re do your application with the truth and nothing but the truth written on it, and maybe you will be considered once its submitted.

Best practice would be not to lie. You have displayed a lack of integrity and then openly told everyone here about it.
Well I haven't submitted the application yet and I did change the application and made sure everything was 100% accurate to the best of my knowledge. What would make you think I'm trolling though? Anyways, I guess my question still remains, is it an automatic disqualification? And also what do you think about my 2nd question? Thanks in advance.

subbie

Postby subbie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 pm

noobxcamper wrote:
subbie wrote:1. I have been asked to resign from my previous workplace, I did something I'm not proud of and I have changed since then. Because of that I have not put that place of employment on my application and I marked "no" on the box where it says if I have ever been asked to resign. The question is, if I do put this workplace on my application, will this disqualify me from being an auxiliary? Or should I just say that I quit?

Well I haven't submitted the application yet and I did change the application and made sure everything was 100% accurate to the best of my knowledge. What would make you think I'm trolling though? Anyways, I guess my question still remains, is it an automatic disqualification? And also what do you think about my 2nd question? Thanks in advance.
Not many things will disqualify an applicant right off the hop.

Lying sure will. Posting about how you considered lying will as well. You may be asked to provide monikers you associate with on social media and the internet. Will you consider lying when asked. Because they will search out these things during background and read whats written on here. You can bet they will. And if you told them other wise, see you later.

To touch on your other question. You will be applying and competing with other people who have extensive volunteerism, possibly work related experience and or 1st response experience (security, bylaw, special constable, corrections, fire fighter, paramedic etc). Competing with people that have extensive training, education, life experience. Seasoned men and woman who are established and have family's of their own. Own businesses. That have been working in full time permanent jobs with job progression which shows leadership and competence.

You should be applying when you are at your competitive best. If you barely have any volunteer work or none, then start. Contribute to something that will provide you with a competitive skill set, working with the public in a service capacity and in uniform. Get full time work. When I was in school I was full time and had a full time job in sales and finance while extensively volunteering and having a wife and child. To be the best and be competitive you have to commit fully and work harder than everyone else to be successful.

I am in no way bragging above but if you feel you need time to finish school start working full time and progressing in your work, create time and distance which will be required between your discrepancy with your previous employer then you need time. Because as it sits and based on whats written by you here I would simply suggest you take some more time and build yourself up to be more competitive. They will look at your application and compare it with the others and you may be differed for a year. With next to no volunteer work, part time work, still in school (and Police foundations / Criminology will not make you stand out among the 100's of others with it, if... that's what your taking). Plus a undisclosed discrepancy which no one is going to ask you to disclose on here but it's there in your past and will 100% need to be spoken about moving forward, I would say to take some time.

We are very fortunate as OPP Aux. members. We are permitted to be armed on patrol if we want (shot gun is the Aux. primary fire arm) and to my knowledge the OPP Aux. members are the only Aux. members in the province permitted to be armed if we want. We have full unsupervised access to our home detachments. We are permitted to drive fully marked patrol vehicles to our community events. A huge responsibility that the OPP allows us to par take in. We are backed by the service and association in a lot of ways with a lot of excellent training and post training. I have spoken to a number of other Aux. members from different services in my year and half on and they do not get to do any of this. Or ride out for that matter. A number of OPP regular members started as Aux. members and understand the program and are willing to take Aux. members out often. We are very, very lucky and well supported.

You do not want your first venture into applying to the program to be soured because of what you wrote here and considered doing. I think its been made clear. You get the point I am sure. Maybe after some time, some more experience and time and distance from what ever transpired with an old employer you may be considered. Your application should be well rounded and with a number of encompassing attributes that make one a well rounded person and applicant to join. It just takes time. I suggest you take yours and start off on the right foot.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm

noobxcamper wrote:Hey, I'm new to the forums and I stumbled upon this thread because I too want to apply to the OPP Auxiliary. I have a few questions though.

2. I do not have a lot of volunteer experience (hardly any) and have only held 2 part time jobs so far, one that was mentioned above and for only about 8 months and the one I hold currently for about 1.5 years. Will this affect my application? I want to volunteer for the OPP because I am passionate about that line of work and I plan on becoming a PC when I'm done school.

Thanks in advance.
You are no where near ready to do Auxiliary, yet alone become a PC. The fact that you even had to ask the first question is mind blowing. You basically just admitted you're debating lying on the PBQ and then your alternative solution is to use another lie and say you quit. Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

PS Subbie, I thought this post was a joke too until his response to you.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

noobxcamper
Rookie Member

Postby noobxcamper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Not many things will disqualify an applicant right off the hop.

Lying sure will. Posting about how you considered lying will as well. You may be asked to provide monikers you associate with on social media and the internet. Will you consider lying when asked. Because they will search out these things during background and read whats written on here. You can bet they will. And if you told them other wise, see you later.

To touch on your other question. You will be applying and competing with other people who have extensive volunteerism, possibly work related experience and or 1st response experience (security, bylaw, special constable, corrections, fire fighter, paramedic etc). Competing with people that have extensive training, education, life experience. Seasoned men and woman who are established and have family's of their own. Own businesses. That have been working in full time permanent jobs with job progression which shows leadership and competence.

You should be applying when you are at your competitive best. If you barely have any volunteer work or none, then start. Contribute to something that will provide you with a competitive skill set, working with the public in a service capacity and in uniform. Get full time work. When I was in school I was full time and had a full time job in sales and finance while extensively volunteering and having a wife and child. To be the best and be competitive you have to commit fully and work harder than everyone else to be successful.

I am in no way bragging above but if you feel you need time to finish school start working full time and progressing in your work, create time and distance which will be required between your discrepancy with your previous employer then you need time. Because as it sits and based on whats written by you here I would simply suggest you take some more time and build yourself up to be more competitive. They will look at your application and compare it with the others and you may be differed for a year. With next to no volunteer work, part time work, still in school (and Police foundations / Criminology will not make you stand out among the 100's of others with it, if... that's what your taking). Plus a undisclosed discrepancy which no one is going to ask you to disclose on here but it's there in your past and will 100% need to be spoken about moving forward, I would say to take some time.

We are very fortunate as OPP Aux. members. We are permitted to be armed on patrol if we want (shot gun is the Aux. primary fire arm) and to my knowledge the OPP Aux. members are the only Aux. members in the province permitted to be armed if we want. We have full unsupervised access to our home detachments. We are permitted to drive fully marked patrol vehicles to our community events. A huge responsibility that the OPP allows us to par take in. We are backed by the service and association in a lot of ways with a lot of excellent training and post training. I have spoken to a number of other Aux. members from different services in my year and half on and they do not get to do any of this. Or ride out for that matter. A number of OPP regular members started as Aux. members and understand the program and are willing to take Aux. members out often. We are very, very lucky and well supported.

You do not want your first venture into applying to the program to be soured because of what you wrote here and considered doing. I think its been made clear. You get the point I am sure. Maybe after some time, some more experience and time and distance from what ever transpired with an old employer you may be considered. Your application should be well rounded and with a number of encompassing attributes that make one a well rounded person and applicant to join. It just takes time. I suggest you take yours and start off on the right foot.
Yeah I've been trying to find a job as a security guard as I recently got my license but it's been challenging to say the least, I keep applying though so hopefully that will happen as I think that's more relative experience than working retail. And as far as your knowledge goes, does any type of volunteer work count? Or will volunteer work closely related to the job be what they're looking for and if so, any suggestions?

I actually didn't know that OPP Auxiliary are allowed to carry firearms. My local department and the departments in the surrounding areas do not allow their Auxiliary members to carry firearms, that's quite interesting to say the least. But like I said, I am gonna own up to it and hope for the best. It's a little tough working full time and going to school full time because the schedules would conflict 99% of the time. Mostly due to the fact that I don't get to pick date/time for my classes.

duartepe
Rookie Member

Postby duartepe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 am

noobxcamper wrote:Hey, I'm new to the forums and I stumbled upon this thread because I too want to apply to the OPP Auxiliary. I have a few questions though.

Thanks in advance.
1. Youve changed since then but you lack Honesty. ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH. Applying in OPP Aux in not as simple as applying in Mcdonalds. They will later find out. again ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

2. seems like youre too picky for volunteering, do you really want to be a provincial PC? Many applicants here who volunteered here many times prior applying in OPP. Aux or Reg Member. Dont limit yourself to just OPP Aux if you really love your community. BE COMPETITIVE TO OTHER APPLICANTS. If you are passionate about that line of work, exert grit and determination. Earn it.

noobxcamper
Rookie Member

Postby noobxcamper » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 am

duartepe wrote:

Thanks in advance.
1. Youve changed since then but you lack Honesty. ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH. Applying in OPP Aux in not as simple as applying in Mcdonalds. They will later find out. again ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

2. seems like youre too picky for volunteering, do you really want to be a provincial PC? Many applicants here who volunteered here many times prior applying in OPP. Aux or Reg Member. Dont limit yourself to just OPP Aux if you really love your community. BE COMPETITIVE TO OTHER APPLICANTS. If you are passionate about that line of work, exert grit and determination. Earn it.
Yes sir, I have decided to own up to my mistakes and just tell the truth about what happened. I won't let that define me and even if they do disqualify me I will keep trying.

I am not too picky for volunteering, I am just trying to be as competitive as I can be by finding volunteer work relating to this line of work. For the past 2 hours I have been applying to various places for volunteering. So far I have applied to my local food bank, crime stoppers, adult learning center teaching computer skills (It's my field of study so it's a great opportunity to share what I know), and other places. I also applied for the Toronto Police Service Auxiliary. I am just awaiting responses at this point :)! I appreciate the advice though.

duartepe
Rookie Member

Postby duartepe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 pm

noobxcamper wrote:
duartepe wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes sir, I have decided to own up to my mistakes and just tell the truth about what happened. I won't let that define me and even if they do disqualify me I will keep trying.

I am not too picky for volunteering, I am just trying to be as competitive as I can be by finding volunteer work relating to this line of work. For the past 2 hours I have been applying to various places for volunteering. So far I have applied to my local food bank, crime stoppers, adult learning center teaching computer skills (It's my field of study so it's a great opportunity to share what I know), and other places. I also applied for the Toronto Police Service Auxiliary. I am just awaiting responses at this point :)! I appreciate the advice though.

It doesnt matter what kind of volunteering but I would suggest a volunteering where you can build your Interpersonal Skill, Leadership skill, Communication, Physical etc. You can try HabitatforHumanityGTA, we have an ongoing construction right now at Mclaughlin Brampton, Here it is more on physical (you dont need a construction background, we will teach you), communication and leadership. Let me know or sign up and volunteer, ask for Peter if youre on the site, that's me.. Anyways Go for it, you can do it, It'll all worth for a 30+ years career. Goodluck.

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks in advance.
We dont want people like that. Please dont bother.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Toonces wrote:

Thanks in advance.
We dont want people like that. Please dont bother.
I love how he just conveniently fleeces past the posts by actual officers....coincidence? I think not lol.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

noobxcamper
Rookie Member

Postby noobxcamper » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 pm

I love how he just conveniently fleeces past the posts by actual officers....coincidence? I think not lol.
I'm not simply skipping over your comments because you're an LEO, but because they are not helpful in any way, shape or form. Like I mentioned before, I have changed my application and made it as 100% accurate to the best of my knowledge, and after thought I actually did not go through with the entire application because I want to be at my competitive best like others have suggested. I have taken action to remedy this by starting to volunteer for my local food bank and also in line for an interview for my local crime stoppers. In addition to being completely unhelpful, the holier than thou attitude is another reason why I looked over your comments. And I do apologize for offending your sensibilities or any other reader or LEO/Auxiliary who came across my post as that was not my intention.
It doesnt matter what kind of volunteering but I would suggest a volunteering where you can build your Interpersonal Skill, Leadership skill, Communication, Physical etc. You can try HabitatforHumanityGTA, we have an ongoing construction right now at Mclaughlin Brampton, Here it is more on physical (you dont need a construction background, we will teach you), communication and leadership. Let me know or sign up and volunteer, ask for Peter if youre on the site, that's me.. Anyways Go for it, you can do it, It'll all worth for a 30+ years career. Goodluck.
I believe I have actually come across Habitat For Humanity as I was looking for opportunities. Good to know you're part of that as well. I will be looking into it a little more but I really do appreciate your help, encouragement and professionalism.