OPP Auxiliary

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

duartepe
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Auxiliary

Postby duartepe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Anyone here who is taking PATI/Psych in Feb 2018?

Jd84
Rookie Member

Postby Jd84 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi everyone. Been on the site for a while now but finally created a profile tonight. Anyone from Windsor or surrounding area currenty on or applied to Essex County OPP Auxiliary?

Cheers!

Sauceboss
Rookie Member

Postby Sauceboss » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:13 pm

duartepe wrote:
Sauceboss wrote:Didn't get in. Got my letter 2 days ago and said due to poor driving history I would not be suitable. My fault for sure. I did not think my driving history was THAT bad. No accidents, a 4 speeding tickets over a 12 year span. No demerit points. Maybe I`ll wait a year or two and trying again.
Do you have any suspensions?
when was your recent speeding ticket?
I had a suspension of licence for non payment of a ticket and my last ticket for speeding 15 over was in 2016.
Timeline
O.P.P. Aux Application Submited 11/24/2017

RPL79

Postby RPL79 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:20 pm

It would surprise me if that was the only reason. It may be the only reason they told you.

I have 8 tickets over 23 years with 1 suspension for unpaid fines. It did not pose a problem for me. I was able to explain in the interview that 3 of them were for plate renewals that were overdue when i was a young kid, and the other 5 were over a 18 year period with 50,000kms driven per year.

Keep trying, it can be a tough process but when you see the responsibility you have while in uniform operating police vehicles, you understand why they have to use sound judgement when selecting candidates.

4 years later, i'm still loving it, so its worth the wait.

Sauceboss
Rookie Member

Postby Sauceboss » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm

RPL79 wrote:It would surprise me if that was the only reason. It may be the only reason they told you.

I have 8 tickets over 23 years with 1 suspension for unpaid fines. It did not pose a problem for me. I was able to explain in the interview that 3 of them were for plate renewals that were overdue when i was a young kid, and the other 5 were over a 18 year period with 50,000kms driven per year.

Keep trying, it can be a tough process but when you see the responsibility you have while in uniform operating police vehicles, you understand why they have to use sound judgement when selecting candidates.

4 years later, i'm still loving it, so its worth the wait.
I definately wont be giving up. I am just surprised that was the only letter I recieved back. I attempt in a years time again to see where it goes.

Thanks for the insight RPL79!
Timeline

zjswain
Veteran Member

Postby zjswain » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Jd84 wrote:Hi everyone. Been on the site for a while now but finally created a profile tonight. Anyone from Windsor or surrounding area currenty on or applied to Essex County OPP Auxiliary?

Cheers!
I applied to Essex end of August, no word yet besides the email saying they received it

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 pm

I received a call from the Niagara auxiliary Sgt. They were going to set up an interview but since I’m waiting to hear back on the final selection for full time they want to wait until that happens (either positive or negative). Understandable since it would be a waste of time to go through the process to just withdraw if I’m successful. Fingers crossed for full time but nice to have a plan for if things don’t work out.

Sauceboss
Rookie Member

Postby Sauceboss » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Well, I didnt get into the OPP Aux program,but as luck would have it, The Cobourg Police had an Aux program and I was accepted into it!

Still very exciting for me!
Timeline

Random987
Rookie Member

Postby Random987 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Just a question regarding the OPP Aux PATI, is it the same test as regular force needs to pass as wel? Also, do you pay for the test or is it covered by your detachment? Thanks in advance for clarification.

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Random987 wrote:Just a question regarding the OPP Aux PATI, is it the same test as regular force needs to pass as wel? Also, do you pay for the test or is it covered by your detachment? Thanks in advance for clarification.
Hey Random, although I cannot fully answer your question, I just wanted to clarify that after you receive the COR, you do not need to complete another PATI for applying to be a Provincial Constable with the OPP. I don't know if the test you write for auxiliary will be the same as the ATS PATI.

subbie

Postby subbie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 am

To shed light on the PATI portion of the Aux testing it is very similar yes. If you are applying and have a valid C.O.R from ATS at the time the test takes place then you are exempt from writing the one for Aux. However you will still be required to complete the Pysch test. Both tests are administered at the same time. Pati first then the Psych. Your head hurts on your drive home haha.

Although you may not be required to re-do the C.O.R when applying to become a regular member during that process at some in the OPP process I believe they still make you do the sigma test.... I think... Its administered with the written psych portion.

For the other poster who said they applied in Aug. and received a letter saying it was received but nothing has happened as of yet, and for all those wondering, It could just be that they currently do not have available positions to be filled. That particular detachment that is. As members retire, come and go and spots become available, they will reach out to you to start the process if your selected based on competitiveness.

For anyone going to the autoshow this weekend or throughout next week I will be there as well as a number of other Aux. members. Feel free to stop and chat. I know anyone of us will be happy to answer questions. Uniform recruitment is there Tuesday. I know I am going back Tuesday afternoon into the evening as I just re certified my C.O.R and will be applying in 2 weeks.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

duartepe
Rookie Member

Postby duartepe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 am

subbie wrote:To shed light on the PATI portion of the Aux testing it is very similar yes. If you are applying and have a valid C.O.R from ATS at the time the test takes place then you are exempt from writing the one for Aux. However you will still be required to complete the Pysch test. Both tests are administered at the same time. Pati first then the Psych. Your head hurts on your drive home haha.

Although you may not be required to re-do the C.O.R when applying to become a regular member during that process at some in the OPP process I believe they still make you do the sigma test.... I think... Its administered with the written psych portion.

For the other poster who said they applied in Aug. and received a letter saying it was received but nothing has happened as of yet, and for all those wondering, It could just be that they currently do not have available positions to be filled. That particular detachment that is. As members retire, come and go and spots become available, they will reach out to you to start the process if your selected based on competitiveness.

For anyone going to the autoshow this weekend or throughout next week I will be there as well as a number of other Aux. members. Feel free to stop and chat. I know anyone of us will be happy to answer questions. Uniform recruitment is there Tuesday. I know I am going back Tuesday afternoon into the evening as I just re certified my C.O.R and will be applying in 2 weeks.

QUESTION REGARDING MAPPING (PATI)

If the questions says "Vehicle not allowed to pass". Does that mean Car and Bicycle?
Because I have seen some questions that the answer allows bike.

Jett_Johnson
Rookie Member

Postby Jett_Johnson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am

subbie wrote:To shed light on the PATI portion of the Aux testing it is very similar yes. If you are applying and have a valid C.O.R from ATS at the time the test takes place then you are exempt from writing the one for Aux. However you will still be required to complete the Pysch test. Both tests are administered at the same time. Pati first then the Psych. Your head hurts on your drive home haha.

Hello there, I am new to this forum. I have passed my interview with the OPP Auxiliary in Thunder Bay. The Aux Sgt. wants me to do the PATI and Psych at the end of this month. What do you recommend I do for studying... I have taken tests on Applicant coaching services, I took the hardest test and passed with only a 51%. I am starting to think I won't be able to pass the PATI...
OPP Auxiliary
Application: November 7/17
Interview: March 3/18
PATI & Psych: October 5/18
BGI: December 23/18
Home visit: March 3/19
Recruit course: July 26/19

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi Jett,

I used the book Comprehensive Guide to Canadian Police Officer Exams by Deland Jessop when I prepared for the PATI with ATS. I highly recommend it. After using the study guide, I did a self-test that is provided in the book to highlight what areas I still needed to work on and then sought out additional help online. I personally struggled with the syllogisms section until I learned how to use the venn diagrams.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

subbie

Postby subbie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 am

Jett_Johnson wrote:

Hello there, I am new to this forum. I have passed my interview with the OPP Auxiliary in Thunder Bay. The Aux Sgt. wants me to do the PATI and Psych at the end of this month. What do you recommend I do for studying... I have taken tests on Applicant coaching services, I took the hardest test and passed with only a 51%. I am starting to think I won't be able to pass the PATI...
Wheels 28 has a good suggestion.

I've re certified my COR twice. I used police prep. It provides specific study material for a variety of tests weather it be Federal, provincial policing, corrections etc. I studied for 2-3 hours 5 times a week for about 3-4 weeks prior to writing and had no issues passing the PATI. Usually completing it with about 15 mins to spare and re check some of my answers. I suggest Police prep. A number of people have used it. When you complete a learning module or test it will grade it for you. It also shows you a specific break down as to how to create and use mathematical equations to solve word problems. It has mapping modules, syllogisms, basic to advanced math, everything you need.

To touch on the pysch assessment - Simply read and answer the questions at face value. Do not spend time analyzing it, or reading deeply into the questions or answering it how you think they want it to be answered. I will not touch on specifics of the test or provide exact questions but a common concern is a question I get asked about if you enjoy or like small kids. Something along those lines. I personally have a daughter. I like/love my daughter. I answer yes. I don't read into it or think "jeez if I say yes they will think I am stranger who hangs around schools". Read it at face value, answer and move on. Should take you 1.5 to 2 hrs max to answer all 500 plus questions. if your there for 4 hours (the test isnt timed BTW) then your probably going about it the wrong way.

Also if you have completed a pysch assessment for the regular constable process before, it will not be used or referenced to my knowledge. The two tests - although the same test are graded differently. It is two separate processes. Not one in the same. Working in different capacities. Sworn member vs volunteer member. Just FYI because people usually ask about if they have to do it again. Yes you do
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member