Ottawa Police Applicants

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

airpro25
Rookie Member

Ottawa Police Applicants

Postby airpro25 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:28 am

Hey , I was just wondering what stage of the Ottawa Police recruiting process that people are in . They plan to hire 80-95 officers in 2009 but half of those will be experienced officers. So anyone trying to get into the April Class with them..... If so what stage are you on ? They are an awesome service but are the last police service to tell you your application status!

MisterEssential

Re: Ottawa Police Applicants

Postby MisterEssential » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:13 am

I just got to get the prep and wct out of the way. I was hoping to get in for April but failed the wct so i have to redo it in May. Looks like next year for me...
‎"An amateur practices until he can get it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong"

Annoymous

Mike Gatti
Sage Member

Postby Mike Gatti » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 am

I have it on good authority that OPS is only hiring 25 new recruits this year, and all in the April class. The rest will be direct hires to keep training costs down in the new fiscal environment.

I haven't confirmed this with recruiting though.
Don't get bitter, get BETTER

Whatever it is, it's not the end of the world. And if it IS the end of the world, there's no use complaining or feeling sorry for yourself, because everyone else is equally F***ED

bigfeet
Rookie Member

Postby bigfeet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 am

Recruiting told me that they were going to be hiring new officers in April and in December... none for the August class. I've also heard from a few sources that the majority of the people they hire are going to be direct entries.

I have passed the LFI and the ECI. I was really hoping to be in for April.

MisterEssential

Postby MisterEssential » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:43 pm

hey bigfeet, i've heard the exact same thing. When i was talking with the recruiter he didnt say it in those words exactly but I picked it up by his body language and the words he used when I asked about August. If i pass my ats testing in May i'll be shooting for Dec or April next year. we'll see how it goes.

Hows your status with OPS?
‎"An amateur practices until he can get it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong"

Annoymous

airpro25
Rookie Member

Postby airpro25 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Have any of you guys finished your Background with Ottawa and are waiting for reply for the April Class?

bigfeet
Rookie Member

Postby bigfeet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Passed LFI and ECI but now out of process. I just got my letter.

airpro25
Rookie Member

Postby airpro25 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Yea I'm in the same boat passed LFI and ECI, did background and psy but I'm pretty sure I will get differed too cause of my lack of experience and age what was your reason did they tell you and when did you get the letter?

MisterEssential

Postby MisterEssential » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:35 pm

bigfeet wrote:Passed LFI and ECI but now out of process. I just got my letter.
damn, i guess now you have the 1 year waiting period. you applied to OPP as well didnt you? how is that one going?

Annoymous

double double
Rookie Member

Postby double double » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Does OPS hire a lot of experienced officers?? If so does anyone know how experienced they have to be

Mike Gatti
Sage Member

Postby Mike Gatti » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm

double double wrote:Does OPS hire a lot of experienced officers?? If so does anyone know how experienced they have to be
Most of the direct hires I've met had 4 years or more on with their other service before patching over.

Whatever it is, it's not the end of the world. And if it IS the end of the world, there's no use complaining or feeling sorry for yourself, because everyone else is equally F***ED

Mike Gatti
Sage Member

Postby Mike Gatti » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Ok I got this news a while ago but forgot to post it (was extremely tired the day I got it). The classes that were previously cancelled are now back on. April, August, and December will now see recruit classes going through.

Recruiting will be moving shortly, from 474 Elgin to a locale on Keystone Ave. They're running out of space at Central Division.

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:28 am

Mike Gatti wrote:Ok I got this news a while ago but forgot to post it (was extremely tired the day I got it). The classes that were previously cancelled are now back on. April, August, and December will now see recruit classes going through.

Recruiting will be moving shortly, from 474 Elgin to a locale on Keystone Ave. They're running out of space at Central Division.
Whoa, they're moving it all the way out to the east end? Good news for OPS as well that they are hiring out of all three classes again.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"

Mike Gatti
Sage Member

Postby Mike Gatti » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Thought it was Keystone Ave, may be some other street (as I said, extremely tired). Gladstone? That would make more sense, since it's around the corner. Anyhoo if you want to drop your app off in person just call ahead and find out where they're located at that time.

Platypus123
Rookie Member

Postby Platypus123 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 am

I just had my OPS LFI on Tuesday (March 31). I never though to ask how many new recruits they were thinking of hiring this year.