Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby A_C_P_91 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Meyer88 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm
Because I can, and if I could ask the union I would and if I could check on outlook i would.

So dont make stupid comments if you dont know. I am asking because i also want to know.

If you dont have an answer to my question then keep walking.

You irritate me with all your negative comments over the years on this forum.
You are incredible. Well done.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:47 pm
Meyer88 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm
Because I can, and if I could ask the union I would and if I could check on outlook i would.

So dont make stupid comments if you dont know. I am asking because i also want to know.

If you dont have an answer to my question then keep walking.

You irritate me with all your negative comments over the years on this forum.
You are incredible. Well done.
I see nothing incredible about this person post

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 am

ygu31 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 am
Lospollos wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 am
ygu31 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:17 am

I did see a CO at OCDC left correction for probation officer job and come back to OCDC as a CO after 1 year.
So, yes, it is possible.
But the downside is that his seniority was bumped back and he will need longer time for to get a full time position, because lots of other casual COs surpassed him on the seniority.
Gu that particular officer left on a secondment which does not apply in this situation he was "borrowed" by another part of the government agency.
Good to know. As he left for probation right before I started at OCDC and came back to OCDC about 3 weeks before I left OCDC, so I was not even aware of that he left on a secondment basis.
So you are right, this cannot be a reference to the case. Thank you for pointing out and the correction :-)

Ps: how is OCDC? I heard hours are getting low due to the pandemic. Have you completed ur CBSA process? Say hi to other OCDC officers for me, tell them I may visit OCDC in summer and show up with GU BREW :-)
Things are good! The hours were a bit tight because everyone cancelled their CTO but everything is back to normal. Definitely say hi when you come by! Hope all is well in the fed!
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

ygu31

Happy national correctional officer week

Postby ygu31 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:44 pm

It is national correctional officer week.
My best regards to all front line officers 😀😀
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 am

Check your emails people! :)

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:37 am

TheSlav wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 am
sounds like training resumes or training invitation received. Is that what it is?
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:37 am
TheSlav wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 am
sounds like training resumes or training invitation received. Is that what it is?
They had emailed people some time ago that testing is on hold due to Covid-19. This past Friday me and two other co-workers got an email inviting us to do the online testing.

ygu31

Written test trick, should or should not?

Postby ygu31 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 am

I heard a quite common trick to prepare the ON correction written test from applicants (outside this forum), it is apparently neither obviously right nor obviously wrong.
They want to apply Ontario correction, but they are not confident on written tests. They also know that BC and Ontario use the same test (R.E.A.C.T), so they applied BC correction a few weeks before they applied Ontario. They then did the written test for BC correction online which is same as Ontario’s (because of the pandemic, all tests are done online at home, so they don’t have to pay to travel to BC for test). Of course, they now knew the exact Ontario test questions before they start their ON written test.
Will that violate the Ontario written test policy? It seems that is a yes and no, as this may fall into the grey zone. There is no policy says you cannot do another jurisdictions test prior to apply ON correction, but it also sounds a little bit wrong. Any opinions on this?

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Re: Written test trick, should or should not?

Postby RobLobster » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:07 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 am
I heard a quite common trick to prepare the ON correction written test from applicants (outside this forum), it is apparently neither obviously right nor obviously wrong.
They want to apply Ontario correction, but they are not confident on written tests. They also know that BC and Ontario use the same test (R.E.A.C.T), so they applied BC correction a few weeks before they applied Ontario. They then did the written test for BC correction online which is same as Ontario’s (because of the pandemic, all tests are done online at home, so they don’t have to pay to travel to BC for test). Of course, they now knew the exact Ontario test questions before they start their ON written test.
Will that violate the Ontario written test policy? It seems that is a yes and no, as this may fall into the grey zone. There is no policy says you cannot do another jurisdictions test prior to apply ON correction, but it also sounds a little bit wrong. Any opinions on this?
If someone feels that in order to pass the testing that they need to look up the questions in advance of the test, they shouldn't be applying to the position. Whether you believe it shows a lack of integrity or not, the testing is not difficult and is not something that needs to be studied.

ygu31

Story behind ON CO’s 14.5% increase

Postby ygu31 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 am

I was in Ontario correction last year and enjoy the big increase 14.5% (until 2022) a few months before I moved to Federal Correction.
But I just learned why government is generous enough to give us this Increase:
Because Ontario COs had a plan to leave OPSEU and join UCCO (Union of Canadian Correctional Officer, one of the strongest unions). And the ministry knew if ON COs join UCCO, and that will impact the ministry’s operation (you know why). In order to retain ON COs inside OPSEU, province speed up the bargain process and gave ON CO a 14.5% increase so they can keep ON COs inside the OPSEU until the end of contract term (it is apparently that dealing with OPSEU is a lot easier than dealing with UCCO).
That was what I heard from the local UCCO coordinator. That answered my curiosity of why ministry agree for this much increase for ON COs.
It is a interesting case around the bargain table.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Re: Story behind ON CO’s 14.5% increase

Postby Lospollos » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:53 am

ygu31 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 am
I was in Ontario correction last year and enjoy the big increase 14.5% (until 2022) a few months before I moved to Federal Correction.
Because Ontario COs had a plan to leave OPSEU and join UCCO (Union of Canadian Correctional Officer, one of the strongest unions). And the ministry knew if ON COs join UCCO, and that will impact the ministry’s operation (you know why). In order to retain ON COs inside OPSEU, province speed up the bargain process and gave ON CO a 14.5% increase so they can keep ON COs inside the OPSEU until the end of contract term (it is apparently that dealing with OPSEU is a lot easier than dealing with UCCO).
That was what I heard from the local UCCO coordinator. That answered my curiosity of why ministry agree for this much increase for ON COs.
Although this makes sense it is not really true. ON corrections became an essential services and the government did not want to give money to us regardless therefore we went to binding third part arbitration in which the arbitrator (not government) awarded us this raise. We were to go ahead to begin voting to leave OPSEU in may until covid hit and we are still planning to do so regardless of the raise.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 am

Lospollos wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:53 am
ygu31 wrote:
Although this makes sense it is not really true. ON corrections became an essential services and the government did not want to give money to us regardless therefore we went to binding third part arbitration in which the arbitrator (not government) awarded us this raise. We were to go ahead to begin voting to leave OPSEU in may until covid hit and we are still planning to do so regardless of the raise.
This answer is correct.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:25 am

Lospollos wrote:
ygu31 wrote:
You could not leave OPSEU until the end of your contract term. Not in the next two years.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:50 am

ygu31 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:25 am
Lospollos wrote:
ygu31 wrote:
You could not leave OPSEU until the end of your contract term. Not in the next two years.
The contract had already expired. We got a wad of cash for backpay from the increase, dated back to when the contract ended. Joining UCCO was realistically never on the table. We got the separate bargaining unit because our increases should not be tied to the rest of OPSEU and the arbitrator indicated after 2017 that increases will need to be made incrementally over the next few rounds of arbitration to bring OCS up to par with CSC.

JoshG
Rookie Member

Postby JoshG » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 am
Lospollos wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 am
ygu31 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:17 am

I did see a CO at OCDC left correction for probation officer job and come back to OCDC as a CO after 1 year.
So, yes, it is possible.
But the downside is that his seniority was bumped back and he will need longer time for to get a full time position, because lots of other casual COs surpassed him on the seniority.
Gu that particular officer left on a secondment which does not apply in this situation he was "borrowed" by another part of the government agency.
Good to know. As he left for probation right before I started at OCDC and came back to OCDC about 3 weeks before I left OCDC, so I was not even aware of that he left on a secondment basis.
So you are right, this cannot be a reference to the case. Thank you for pointing out and the correction :-)

Ps: how is OCDC? I heard hours are getting low due to the pandemic. Have you completed ur CBSA process? Say hi to other OCDC officers for me, tell them I may visit OCDC in summer and show up with GU BREW :-)
Miss you buddy 8)
Corrections Officer