Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

timg87

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby timg87 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:51 pm

Worked in corrections for just under 3 years...have now moved on to a Special Constable position...

I definitely believe my corrections experiences helped me for my interview and there are qualities from the job that I am able to bring over to my new position.

Corrections is what it is....if nothing worked out for me and I couldn't move on to something that provided me more opportunities than I was willing to take it on as a career with full effort...but if you want to just use it as life experience it can be that too...it really comes down to you as a person and how motivated you are and what if any satisfaction you require out of work.

Wont rip corrections...it paid my bills and allowed me to build my foundation.
Previous: Correctional Officer 2
Current: Transit Special Constable

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 am

timg87 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:51 pm
Worked in corrections for just under 3 years...have now moved on to a Special Constable position...

I definitely believe my corrections experiences helped me for my interview and there are qualities from the job that I am able to bring over to my new position.

Corrections is what it is....if nothing worked out for me and I couldn't move on to something that provided me more opportunities than I was willing to take it on as a career with full effort...but if you want to just use it as life experience it can be that too...it really comes down to you as a person and how motivated you are and what if any satisfaction you require out of work.

Wont rip corrections...it paid my bills and allowed me to build my foundation.
That’s great to hear.

So you took a pay cut ?

I would believe at the moment, a special constable position would be a stepping stone before corrections with the rate of pay.

People have to get Corrections out of their head as this job as a stepping stone.
I would say security or life experience is a stepping stone for policing

Good luck
Correctional Officer, CO2

timg87

Postby timg87 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 pm

Pay cut ? Oh no no....not even close ..my hourly rate jumped from just under 30 as a newer fulltimer to 36 as a bottom rate S/C with a top rate of 46 an hour within 5 years and all OT at double time. So not even close to a paycut.

And as for stepping stone to corrections....since becoming a special I've had multiple arrests, MHA apprehensions, parading at police divisions, court time and provincial tickets and criminal summons issued in the 7 months I've been gone.

Again, i appreciate everything i was given from corrections and some special constable jobs are vastly different than others...but in my humble opinion this is much more of what i wanted from a job.

Always open to help but of course my opinions are only my own. We all have a tough job especially with way society has gone/continues to go...so much respect for all my brothers and sisters in ANY uniform
Previous: Correctional Officer 2
Current: Transit Special Constable

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:49 pm

timg87 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 pm
Pay cut ? Oh no no....not even close ..my hourly rate jumped from just under 30 as a newer fulltimer to 36 as a bottom rate S/C with a top rate of 46 an hour within 5 years and all OT at double time. So not even close to a paycut.

And as for stepping stone to corrections....since becoming a special I've had multiple arrests, MHA apprehensions, parading at police divisions, court time and provincial tickets and criminal summons issued in the 7 months I've been gone.

Again, i appreciate everything i was given from corrections and some special constable jobs are vastly different than others...but in my humble opinion this is much more of what i wanted from a job.

Always open to help but of course my opinions are only my own. We all have a tough job especially with way society has gone/continues to go...so much respect for all my brothers and sisters in ANY uniform
Wow, who knew lol

What union are you apart of ? We need them. Double time for OT. I would work all the time and would think half the crisis in corrections would be solved.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

How’s the process going for those that want a job that’s in crisis.

I mean being a causal after 5 years you would make aprx 94 grand a year without Ot

supaDean
Rookie Member

Postby supaDean » Wed May 15, 2019 8:32 am

@ Fonthill.... sent you a PM. Cheers.

supaDean
Rookie Member

Postby supaDean » Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am

@ Foothill.... Whoops, I see I can't send you a PM.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Wed May 15, 2019 2:42 pm

supaDean wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am
@ Foothill.... Whoops, I see I can't send you a PM.
No worries.

Sorry

It’s off for a reason :)

supaDean
Rookie Member

Postby supaDean » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Been offered a variety of locations ranging from OCDC to Northern Ontario (i.e., Thunder Bay), to CECC (Lindsay), or waiting list for the GTA. Anyone have any experience / advice to share? Feel free to post here or direct message. Thank you and best regards.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm

supaDean wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:35 pm
Been offered a variety of locations ranging from OCDC to Northern Ontario (i.e., Thunder Bay), to CECC (Lindsay), or waiting list for the GTA. Anyone have any experience / advice to share? Feel free to post here or direct message. Thank you and best regards.
1st off. Congratulations:)

Every single work location in Ontario is currently in Crisis. If you take a location like Thunder Bay, chances of you becoming full-time faster will happen.
I’m guessing if you took OCDC or CECC, wait until you are full time would be between 5-7 years.
I assume Thunder Bay as nobody wants to work there 2-3 years until full-time maybe.
Now saying this, after being a causal for 5years. You get an extra 2% on top of the already 14% in Vacation pay.
So that is 16%. Year 5 your base salary without Ot will be around 94 grand aprx. Not bad, eh.

I wish you all the best

supaDean
Rookie Member

Postby supaDean » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 am

@Fonthill: Thank you. It's a tough decision to make. Aside from the work facility conditions in TB, the lifestyle (access to nature) and cost of living is appealing. Long, cold winters though. Also have to consider two unpaid months of COTA, plus finding a temp place to live without visiting the area, relocation expenses etc.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

supaDean wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 am
@Fonthill: Thank you. It's a tough decision to make. Aside from the work facility conditions in TB, the lifestyle (access to nature) and cost of living is appealing. Long, cold winters though. Also have to consider two unpaid months of COTA, plus finding a temp place to live without visiting the area, relocation expenses etc.
Your welcome.

The unpaid months will be more closer to 3 months.
At the end of day, only you can make a decision. You do best for your self. You are just a number like myself in this Ministry.
I would advise staying away from TSDC. Cost of living on top the shitty starting out pay will be hard to live off by

Just remember, FORD would rather waste money on something he would not win like the carbon tax, then giving money to ministry like corrections to save lives and make a safer job for the officers. That money he is spending on the carbon tax to fight, could be going to hospital, education and kids with autism. Shameful.

NYG88
Rookie Member

Postby NYG88 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm

I was wondering if anybody could provide some information about the work situation at Vanier Women's Centre? I was offered a position for the facility. How are the hours and what is the work environment like? Thanks
Last edited by NYG88 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYG88
Rookie Member

Postby NYG88 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Double Post sorry.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 pm

NYG88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm
I was wondering if anybody could provide some information about the work situation at Vanier Women's Centre? I was offered a position for the facility. How are the hours and what is the work environment like? Thanks
Retirement Post. Take it.

Not sure about hours. But I know Maple, all the Ot you want.

Good luck and congratulations.