Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:58 pm

JesseTDI wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:24 pm
Bitterman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 pm

That actually is how it works.
'Not sure what kumbaya workplace you came from, but... 'round here as a new hire you have to earn it. Sadly there are those who come in thinking they actually have a say in how things are run.
There is no way I will let a new CO dictate anything until I'm sure they're competent. If you take that as disrespectful well... Too bad. It's about maintaining order and staying safe.
'Sorry, but as a new hire it's YOU who has to show some respect first... You may think you know everything from that six weeks or whatever bullshit training course you paid for, but... You don't.
Senior officers don't owe you anything. If you don't agree... Go cry to management or admin.
Wrong. Nobody expects kumbaya but a basic level of human respect is a good practice, maintaining order and staying safe is fine. I never said anything about anyone knowing everything. I said senior staff can be very toxic to other employees, and they have little to no respect for new staff, and proceed to expect full respect in turn. If you think that's how it works, you've got another thing coming. I don't expect to be owed anything, but if you're going to be disrespectful and treat me like shit, dont expect me to respect you in the slightest. You're creating a difficult environment for new staff to learn the job and in doing that you're putting that safety and security you claim to value so much at risk.

The point is, you can't just treat people like shit and expect them to be okay with it. Your 20-30 years in does not give you that right.

And I'm not even talking about management yet. That's a whole other bag of issues.
JesseTDI wrote:
Bitterman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 pm

That actually is how it works.
'Not sure what kumbaya workplace you came from, but... 'round here as a new hire you have to earn it. Sadly there are those who come in thinking they actually have a say in how things are run.
There is no way I will let a new CO dictate anything until I'm sure they're competent. If you take that as disrespectful well... Too bad. It's about maintaining order and staying safe.
'Sorry, but as a new hire it's YOU who has to show some respect first... You may think you know everything from that six weeks or whatever bullshit training course you paid for, but... You don't.
Senior officers don't owe you anything. If you don't agree... Go cry to management or admin.
Wrong. Nobody expects kumbaya but a basic level of human respect is a good practice, maintaining order and staying safe is fine. I never said anything about anyone knowing everything. I said senior staff can be very toxic to other employees, and they have little to no respect for new staff, and proceed to expect full respect in turn. If you think that's how it works, you've got another thing coming. I don't expect to be owed anything, but if you're going to be disrespectful and treat me like shit, dont expect me to respect you in the slightest. You're creating a difficult environment for new staff to learn the job and in doing that you're putting that safety and security you claim to value so much at risk.

The point is, you can't just treat people like shit and expect them to be okay with it. Your 20-30 years in does not give you that right.

And I'm not even talking about management yet. That's a whole other bag of issues.
I’m glad your pointing out Management is the problem. I see no other issue with co-workers.
Management and the Ministry is creating a difficult place to work in. I’m glad you have seen the new report that came out how toxic upper management is.
Correctional Officer, CO2

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 am

I think both Jessie and Bitterman are right hand wrong on this one. Yes senior staff deserve respect by any new staff just coming in and yes new staff (some more than others depending where they are coming from and life experience) can have opinions. However its how they express them they have should be careful with. Respectful is asking why something it done the way it is, in the spirit of learning. Respectful is asking if its ever been done this way or that way or been considered. If done in this manner I'd have no issues with respecting the newbie. However if the new staff comes at it in a more "know it all" way or by doing it different "because I think its better" or acting and doing things like they've been there 20 years then they deserve the rough ride they are going to get.

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:49 pm

I'd like to hear some hard examples of the rough ride some newbs are getting... :roll:
It's been my experience, both practiced and observed that senior officers are more than pleasant enough towards the new hires...
Me thinks those complaining are a fright too fucking sensitive.

Or... did you ever stop to think that perhaps it's just part of the getting to know you process?

Bottom line is.. Or at least my bottom line is... I'll be polite enough, but I'm not looking to make any friends. If I'me ever short with you it's because I have to be and really... Your feels don't matter.
Like I think I said b4... If you're feels get hurt because the old crusty staff barked at you... Go whine to management.
Or... be grown up and wait for the appropriate opportunity to speak to me about whatever it is that's offended you.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but as a new "contract" CO you're at the bottom... Your role is to serve as "backfill"... This is the reason why you get to work all those shitty posts that the senior officers don't want to...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:58 pm

JesseTDI wrote:

I said senior staff can be very toxic to other employees, and they have little to no respect for new staff, and proceed to expect full respect in turn. If you think that's how it works, you've got another thing coming. I don't expect to be owed anything, but if you're going to be disrespectful and treat me like shit, dont expect me to respect you in the slightest. You're creating a difficult environment for new staff to learn the job and in doing that you're putting that safety and security you claim to value so much at risk.

I find your apparent naivete both charming and predictive of the difficult times ahead for you.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:49 pm
I'd like to hear some hard examples of the rough ride some newbs are getting... :roll:
Can't give you any Ontario examples. Maybe you guys are just too nice lol. If you want some then ask me on the private side. I will say that 12 hours with the same partners is a long long shift when no ones willing to talk around you, for the only example I'll give here.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 am

Bitterman wrote:
It's been my experience, both practiced and observed that senior officers are more than pleasant enough towards the new hires...

Or... did you ever stop to think that perhaps it's just part of the getting to know you process?

Bottom line is.. Or at least my bottom line is... I'll be polite enough, but I'm not looking to make any friends. If I'me ever short with you it's because I have to be and really... Your feels don't matter.
Like I think I said b4... If you're feels get hurt because the old crusty staff barked at you... Go whine to management.
Or... be grown up and wait for the appropriate opportunity to speak to me about whatever it is that's offended you.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but as a new "contract" CO you're at the bottom... Your role is to serve as "backfill"... This is the reason why you get to work all those shitty posts that the senior officers don't want to...
I’ll gave an example where a senior officer stands up for a bottom like, feeder JesseTDI.
Any unsafe work practice that is going on. They are first to stand up. I have never seen a causal stand up to management. In fact. I seen a causal to work right after a unsafe health and safety issue came up and did the work.

JesseTDI

Postby JesseTDI » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 am
Bitterman wrote:

I’ll gave an example where a senior officer stands up for a bottom like, feeder JesseTDI.
Any unsafe work practice that is going on. They are first to stand up. I have never seen a causal stand up to management. In fact. I seen a causal to work right after a unsafe health and safety issue came up and did the work.
I'll agree with you casuals arent quick to stand up to management. And on top of that, not to senior regular staff doings things wrong. You might think my opinion doesnt matter but we can agree to disagree on that, I really dont give a shit what you think. 20 years in doesnt mean you do everything properly and I'm not looking to lose my job this early because some staff are too lazy to work.

I also agree new staff coming in like a know it all is wrong, and I'm sure that's exactly what I sound like right now. I'm not, believe it or not, and I've never had that attitude. My frustration with co workers is the claim that everyone should be "solid" but all they do is talk shit behind everyone's back and not do their fucking jobs because getting up once every 30 minutes is too difficult. The same staff that bitch about how understaffed the building is but then proceed to complain about how much they hate new casuals, some even going as far as completely ignoring them altogether. That's the disrespect I'm talking about. This is a team effort, you cant complain about someone ability to do the job if you don't even do it or if you arent willing to correct the behavior.

Anyways. I could rant for days about this but I understand we have different opinions and that's fine. I will say I did have a rough few weeks because I'm a very speak my mind type of person and it rubs people the wrong way.

I'll also note I agree with you, there are some senior staff who look out for everyone in terms of unsafe work and it's very much appreciated, I've always had the personality of just find a way to get things done, so I dont often see things like that at first.

I appreciate the discussion even if I do not agree with everything you've said. But I'll keep it in mind regardless.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

aomerovi
Rookie Member

Postby aomerovi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:20 pm

Little insight to the newcomers being relatively new in the field my self. I keep reading about the mistreatment senior staff gives to the new CO's. I'm sure it happens however I can firmly say my instution has been very welcoming to most of us. There are some new staff that struggle, but that is due to their own actions. There is the odd one or two senior staff who simply won't give any newer staff the time of day, without reason. I've been warned ahead of time who they were and knew to expect it. 99% of the senior staff you work with are easy to get along with. Yes, work ethic isn't what you'd expect it to be at times, but then again, what is your work ethic going to be 20+ years in? When I speak of the work ethic, I am referring to a very small percentage of that staff. I doubt any of you will be as gung-ho to get things done as you are now 20 years down the road of dealing with bs. That being said, show up on time, GO inside the damn unit; I cannot stress that enough. My institution is not direct supervision so all our work is done directly in the unit. Many new COs bullshit their way out of going inside the unit. We've got people coming in out of COTA wearing beards! I wouldn't dare pull that shit being a new person. At the end of the day, You signed up for this. If you wish to learn, and want the respect that you are demanding from the senior staff then show them you can do the job. If you've been told the same thing 10 times over and over again by different staff nod and say ok. Don't act like you know shit and never say "I know". It's an extremely steep learning curve. You learn something new every day. Ask questions and understand that you will make mistakes; learn from them and don't repeat them. I understand where Bitterman and Jessee are both coming from. Maybe I'm fortunate enough to be where I'm at...despite the media portrayal of my institution. Best part.... the only good part of the job are the people I work with and the pay isn't bad either. Do I see flaws in the system? Absolutely, We all do. No I don't want to spend 30 years working the floors as a CO but I am grateful for the job right now. I'm sure the senior staff would tell you the same thing if they were to redo their careers. Times have changed for the worse and it won't take long for you to see just how disposable you are as a casual. If my post was negative, it wasn't intended to be.

Cheers,

hcts
Rookie Member

Postby hcts » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:40 am

aomerovi wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:20 pm
Little insight to the newcomers being relatively new in the field my self. I keep reading about the mistreatment senior staff gives to the new CO's. I'm sure it happens however I can firmly say my instution has been very welcoming to most of us. There are some new staff that struggle, but that is due to their own actions. There is the odd one or two senior staff who simply won't give any newer staff the time of day, without reason. I've been warned ahead of time who they were and knew to expect it. 99% of the senior staff you work with are easy to get along with. Yes, work ethic isn't what you'd expect it to be at times, but then again, what is your work ethic going to be 20+ years in? When I speak of the work ethic, I am referring to a very small percentage of that staff. I doubt any of you will be as gung-ho to get things done as you are now 20 years down the road of dealing with bs. That being said, show up on time, GO inside the damn unit; I cannot stress that enough. My institution is not direct supervision so all our work is done directly in the unit. Many new COs bullshit their way out of going inside the unit. We've got people coming in out of COTA wearing beards! I wouldn't dare pull that shit being a new person. At the end of the day, You signed up for this. If you wish to learn, and want the respect that you are demanding from the senior staff then show them you can do the job. If you've been told the same thing 10 times over and over again by different staff nod and say ok. Don't act like you know shit and never say "I know". It's an extremely steep learning curve. You learn something new every day. Ask questions and understand that you will make mistakes; learn from them and don't repeat them. I understand where Bitterman and Jessee are both coming from. Maybe I'm fortunate enough to be where I'm at...despite the media portrayal of my institution. Best part.... the only good part of the job are the people I work with and the pay isn't bad either. Do I see flaws in the system? Absolutely, We all do. No I don't want to spend 30 years working the floors as a CO but I am grateful for the job right now. I'm sure the senior staff would tell you the same thing if they were to redo their careers. Times have changed for the worse and it won't take long for you to see just how disposable you are as a casual. If my post was negative, it wasn't intended to be.

Cheers,
Hi guys, i work in a 12 hour environment now, i'm trying to compare what my pay would be at the corrections, i'm currently waiting for a job offer. if you do 4 12 hours shifts or 48 hours per week. what is your take home after taxes if you're getting the vacation pay as unclassified co. The company where i am now, 5 twelve hours shifts i would take home around 1200 after taxes and 4 12 hours shifts i take home about 1050 per week. i know there are lot of different premiums and so on with the corrections job. a co starting out doing 48 hours a week would take home how much? and after a year or so how does that increase. Any insight would be really appreciated

Besic, D
Rookie Member

Postby Besic, D » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:47 am

hcts wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:40 am
aomerovi wrote:

Cheers,
Hi guys, i work in a 12 hour environment now, i'm trying to compare what my pay would be at the corrections, i'm currently waiting for a job offer. if you do 4 12 hours shifts or 48 hours per week. what is your take home after taxes if you're getting the vacation pay as unclassified co. The company where i am now, 5 twelve hours shifts i would take home around 1200 after taxes and 4 12 hours shifts i take home about 1050 per week. i know there are lot of different premiums and so on with the corrections job. a co starting out doing 48 hours a week would take home how much? and after a year or so how does that increase. Any insight would be really appreciated
Assuming you get full 40 hours a week and take in the retirement plan (you fucking better) after all taxes/deductions you'll take home between $1600 and $1700. If you decide to buy into the health insurance it'll be less depending on what you buy into.

If you pick up overtime (24 hours is what most of us who pick up OT at TSDC tend to do per pay of OT) you take home about $2300 ish.

hcts
Rookie Member

Postby hcts » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Besic, D wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:47 am
hcts wrote:
aomerovi wrote:

Cheers,
Assuming you get full 40 hours a week and take in the retirement plan (you fucking better) after all taxes/deductions you'll take home between $1600 and $1700. If you decide to buy into the health insurance it'll be less depending on what you buy into.

If you pick up overtime (24 hours is what most of us who pick up OT at TSDC tend to do per pay of OT) you take home about $2300 ish.
i really appreciate it, my numbers are weekly, is your numbers weekly as well? just want to be sure. this is the insight i wanted. so much going on with this job, union and so on, i knew it was a better financial decision for me, but all the distractions made it hard to determine if it was actually better. really appreciate it. i think its safe to say i'm not in the January 14th class, i have not gotten a call yet. maybe March. Thank you for the insight. Do you have any general info on the retirement plan, how its set up. i know Zero about it, so anything you give is far more than i know now.

poped79
Rookie Member

Postby poped79 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:12 am

hcts wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Besic, D wrote:
hcts wrote:

i really appreciate it, my numbers are weekly, is your numbers weekly as well? just want to be sure. this is the insight i wanted. so much going on with this job, union and so on, i knew it was a better financial decision for me, but all the distractions made it hard to determine if it was actually better. really appreciate it. i think its safe to say i'm not in the January 14th class, i have not gotten a call yet. maybe March. Thank you for the insight. Do you have any general info on the retirement plan, how its set up. i know Zero about it, so anything you give is far more than i know now.
I'm also waiting for the conditional offer hopefully by March, what institutions are you looking to get into?

hcts
Rookie Member

Postby hcts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:39 am

poped79 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:12 am
hcts wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Besic, D wrote:

I'm also waiting for the conditional offer hopefully by March, what institutions are you looking to get into?
i applied for toronto south and toronto east, its been so long i dont remember what my third one was. i'm open to the gta. i just dont want to fight for hours, so i want to go where hours is plenty.

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 am

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this forum But I figured I can give a little insight to the senior staff talking to casuals. I started my career in Lindsay Ontario where there is plenty of seniority and you really had to earn your place because seniority meant everything there. If you worked hard and you didn’t give anybody any lip you got noticed and were welcomed to work any unit. Unfortunately I only was able to do six months there before I had to make a personal choice to move to Toronto again where I ended up working at Toronto south. There was an abundance of Staff with little to no experience whether it be in life or in this type of environment. There was also managers who fed off these officers with no time in. There were only a few of us who took the time to understand our policies and procedures and follow them so when a manager came around and tried to bully us we were able to push back. I learned that at Toronto south if you were able to stand up for yourself and seek guidance from the senior staff you would actually do quite well. Unfortunately my time and corrections is over after A very short two years but the amount of experience I gained within those two years working in high stress units Will serve me well in my new career. At the end of the day, respect your senior staff respect your peers with just as much or even less time in than you And remember you have to stick together

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 am
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this forum But I figured I can give a little insight to the senior staff talking to casuals. I started my career in Lindsay Ontario where there is plenty of seniority and you really had to earn your place because seniority meant everything there. If you worked hard and you didn’t give anybody any lip you got noticed and were welcomed to work any unit. Unfortunately I only was able to do six months there before I had to make a personal choice to move to Toronto again where I ended up working at Toronto south. There was an abundance of Staff with little to no experience whether it be in life or in this type of environment. There was also managers who fed off these officers with no time in. There were only a few of us who took the time to understand our policies and procedures and follow them so when a manager came around and tried to bully us we were able to push back. I learned that at Toronto south if you were able to stand up for yourself and seek guidance from the senior staff you would actually do quite well. Unfortunately my time and corrections is over after A very short two years but the amount of experience I gained within those two years working in high stress units Will serve me well in my new career. At the end of the day, respect your senior staff respect your peers with just as much or even less time in than you And remember you have to stick together
Well said !

Congratulations to you.

Is your new career better then the Crisis in corrections is.