Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Bitterman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Fonthill wrote: Opseu will be gone the next contract. If I’m correct. There is a union from Quebec that is solely made of lawyers ! That’s the union we are trying to get.

Well... You're not correct.

The "other" group is courting "us"...
They have held meetings/info sessions, but the jury is still out on the whole deal. There are some "promises" that sound good, but the fine print holds some concerns.
Remember... Unions are businesses unto themselves. They'll tell you pretty much anything in order to get 'hold of your dues.
If OPSEU nothing more than a retarded, abusive pimp... ?
Yes, but... Adopting any other org as representation may in the end be worse.
There's still A LOT of research to be done and questions answered.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

RCMP37
Veteran Member

Postby RCMP37 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Fonthill wrote:
AlwaysOnDuty wrote:
Fonthill wrote:...Opseu is on the way out in the next contract anyways.
Wait, what do you mean about that?
Opseu will be gone the next contract. If I’m correct. There is a union from Quebec that is solely made of lawyers ! That’s the union we are trying to get. Only way to get them is. The last 6 month of a contract they what is called the card process to vote them in.
Corrections stand only division is fed up with allowing the employer to break every CA rule possible and Opseu allowing it to happen.

Look how strong Canada post workers are and their union standing together.

Look at GM workers and there union standing together strong

I wouldn't hold GM's union up high, Their new employees start off making far less with a shitty pension now. It takes 10 years to make top wage at GM now, Unifor is no better than OPSEU, GM plant in Oshawa closing next year on top of it all, good luck working there. We should also look at UCCO, federal corrections seem to be going in the right direction.

JesseTDI

Postby JesseTDI » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:03 am

esjh89 wrote:thank-you fonthill
Im a no sugar coat bullshit kinda of guy so i appreciate that.
thanks for the info! Since casual hours fluctuate, is the 65-75 based on accumulated hours for a certain amount of previous months?
Take everything fonthill says with a grain of salt. Look back several pages and you'll notice a pattern about his posts. Time in doesnt necessarily mean wise or worth listening to.

My place is scheduled 40 for the first 4 weeks for training. Depending on where you go, you can mostly manipulate your schedule to your liking, with in reason. Pm me and I'll see if I can shed some light on that a bit further.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 am

JesseTDI wrote:
thanks for the info! Since casual hours fluctuate, is the 65-75 based on accumulated hours for a certain amount of previous months?
Take everything fonthill says with a grain of salt. Look back several pages and you'll notice a pattern about his posts. Time in doesnt necessarily mean wise or worth listening to.

My place is scheduled 40 for the first 4 weeks for training. Depending on where you go, you can mostly manipulate your schedule to your liking, with in reason. Pm me and I'll see if I can shed some light on that a bit further.
Hmmm. I have common sense ! Don’t need time in to understand that our job is in crisis! And to speak the truth also. This job is only going to get worse !
And this is why they keep on hiring pArt Time Officers. So, the cauSal are only hurting themselves with no hours soon
Correctional Officer, CO2

JesseTDI

Postby JesseTDI » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Fonthill wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:

Hmmm. I have common sense ! Don’t need time in to understand that our job is in crisis! And to speak the truth also. This job is only going to get worse !
And this is why they keep on hiring pArt Time Officers. So, the cauSal are only hurting themselves with no hours soon
Said it before and I'll say it again. If you dislike it so much, change careers. Theres many options in the the OPS.
CO

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:38 pm

My place is scheduled 40 for the first 4 weeks for training. Depending on where you go, you can mostly manipulate your schedule to your liking, with in reason. Pm me and I'll see if I can shed some light on that a bit further.[/quote]

And this is why they keep on hiring pArt Time Officers. So, the cauSal are only hurting themselves with no hours soon[/quote]

Said it before and I'll say it again. If you dislike it so much, change careers. Theres many options in the the OPS.[/quote]mm

I dare you to say that to a 30 year Vet. Tell me how that goes when you say that
The problem I see with corrections is, younger generation Don’t have a back bone to stand up to management. The 30 year Vet fought for us younger generation officers and your easy way out is. Look for another job.

Anyways, stay safe, and keep on serving lobster dinners to Inmates there with cell phones. Cheers

JesseTDI

Postby JesseTDI » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 pm

I dare you to say that to a 30 year Vet. Tell me how that goes when you say that
The problem I see with corrections is, younger generation Don’t have a back bone to stand up to management. The 30 year Vet fought for us younger generation officers and your easy way out is. Look for another job.

Anyways, stay safe, and keep on serving lobster dinners to Inmates there with cell phones. Cheers
I'll say it to anyone with your attitude and terrible advice. Corrections is in crisis. You're right on that one. But part of the problem is the toxic senior staff that demand respect and have zero respect for new employees. That's not how it works. You cant treat people like shit and expect them to respect you. and I tell you to change careers because you clearly hate your job and the ministry you work for. So why do you stay? Nothing and nobody is forcing you to.
CO

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 pm

JesseTDI wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 pm
But part of the problem is the toxic senior staff that demand respect and have zero respect for new employees. That's not how it works.

That actually is how it works.
'Not sure what kumbaya workplace you came from, but... 'round here as a new hire you have to earn it. Sadly there are those who come in thinking they actually have a say in how things are run.
There is no way I will let a new CO dictate anything until I'm sure they're competent. If you take that as disrespectful well... Too bad. It's about maintaining order and staying safe.
'Sorry, but as a new hire it's YOU who has to show some respect first... You may think you know everything from that six weeks or whatever bullshit training course you paid for, but... You don't.
Senior officers don't owe you anything. If you don't agree... Go cry to management or admin.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Besic, D
Rookie Member

Postby Besic, D » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 am

Guys we're supposed to be brothers and sisters and you guys are taking a shit on each other.

We get shit on by inmates, managers, and the public...the least we can do is not shit on each other.

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:36 am

Besic, D wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 am
Guys we're supposed to be brothers and sisters and you guys are taking a shit on each other.

We get shit on by inmates, managers, and the public...the least we can do is not shit on each other.
Preach it
Correctional Officer

CBSA:
Applied: Dec 2016
GCT2/WCPT: Apr 2017
Interview: Jan 2018
Security Clearance: Nov 2018
Psych test: Mar 2018
Psych interview: Mar 2018
Medical: Aug 2018
PARE: Sept 2018
Security Interview: Nov 2018

Rigaud:

tony2000
Rookie Member

Postby tony2000 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Has anyone been contacted for the January 2019 COTA yet? Last time i heard from them was an email in November, saying they have recieved all my required documents.

tvntommy
Rookie Member

Postby tvntommy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Any news of us getting a raise next year?

Besic, D
Rookie Member

Postby Besic, D » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm

tony2000 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
Has anyone been contacted for the January 2019 COTA yet? Last time i heard from them was an email in November, saying they have recieved all my required documents.
It'll be a bit before you hear back. Took me almost an entire year to go through everything.

I heard they're hiring strictly for TSDC though but that just might be a rumor

tony2000
Rookie Member

Postby tony2000 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Besic, D wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm
tony2000 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
It'll be a bit before you hear back. Took me almost an entire year to go through everything.

I heard they're hiring strictly for TSDC though but that just might be a rumor
Oh ok tha ks for the info. I'm at 10ish months in the process. I put Toronto east down as my first choice, and Toronto South down as my second choice. I was really hoping to get into the January class, hopefully i get lucky and hear something soon.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I think what JesseTDI was trying say was. Senior Management is toxic, not the officers.