Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

poped79
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby poped79 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:30 pm

esjh89 wrote:
poped79 wrote:Does anyone know if there's going be a COTA intake for January 2019?
Jan 14th
Thanks for the update, hopefully Ill get a call to attend.

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:43 pm

RobLobster wrote: I'll tell you where priorities lie: Supporting goof hider managers & deputies who don't want to be around inmates and developing frontline policies to mollycoddle inmates while throwing COs under the bus at every opportunity.

'Pretty much... Lol.

...But wait... It'll get worse.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

esjh89
Rookie Member

Postby esjh89 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 am

Can anyone who has completed COTA tell me what the orientation at your institution was like? how many hours per week, length of shifts etc.

supaDean
Rookie Member

Postby supaDean » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:52 am

Has anyone received an invitation to COTA for the January 2019 intake?

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 am

esjh89 wrote:Can anyone who has completed COTA tell me what the orientation at your institution was like? how many hours per week, length of shifts etc.
Lol

If you are worried about hours, remember, you signed up to a job with Zero hours guaranteed

Depends where you are at. TSDC I know does 6 weeks of training with no OT 37.5 hours per week.
It’s all up to the superintendent. I assume the normal is 3 weeks of training with no OT.
Correctional Officer, CO2

esjh89
Rookie Member

Postby esjh89 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:04 am

Fonthill wrote:
esjh89 wrote:Can anyone who has completed COTA tell me what the orientation at your institution was like? how many hours per week, length of shifts etc.
Lol

If you are worried about hours, remember, you signed up to a job with Zero hours guaranteed

Depends where you are at. TSDC I know does 6 weeks of training with no OT 37.5 hours per week.
It’s all up to the superintendent. I assume the normal is 3 weeks of training with no OT.

nope not worried about hours, actually more worried about the time off. but thanks!

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:06 am

esjh89 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:
Lol

nope not worried about hours, actually more worried about the time off. but thanks!
Time off and you haven’t even started yet. That’s a great attitude
This is what happens when the Ministry hires kids that live in their parents basement still.
You will be happy to know, as a PART-TIME employee (causal) you can refuse every shift if you like. So if what you wanted is time off, no worries in that dept.

esjh89
Rookie Member

Postby esjh89 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am

Time off and you haven’t even started yet. That’s a great attitude
This is what happens when the Ministry hires kids that live in their parents basement still.
You will be happy to know, as a PART-TIME employee (causal) you can refuse every shift if you like. So if what you wanted is time off, no worries in that dept.[/quote]

Trying to work around wifes schedule with a newborn so any insight into an actual schedule is extremely beneficial. Great assumption though. All your posts are very positive.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:00 pm

esjh89 wrote:Time off and you haven’t even started yet. That’s a great attitude
You will be happy to know, as a PART-TIME employee (causal) you can refuse every shift if you like. So if what you wanted is time off, no worries in that dept.
Trying to work around wifes schedule with a newborn so any insight into an actual schedule is extremely beneficial. Great assumption though. All your posts are very positive.[/quote]

Well, Congratulations. And yes, family is #1. When you get your shifts and you don’t want them, you can decline them or n/a the whole week if you like. As a causal, you are indeed entitled to mat leave. The employer also pays I believe 65% or 75%. So, make sure you ask ! Trust me. I’m here to help so if you want a real answer you will get it

For myself being positive is more like a being realistic. No need to sugar coat a job that isn’t all what it is set out to be
I believe people should speak the truth and tell it like it is.

esjh89
Rookie Member

Postby esjh89 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:16 pm

thank-you fonthill
Im a no sugar coat bullshit kinda of guy so i appreciate that.
thanks for the info! Since casual hours fluctuate, is the 65-75 based on accumulated hours for a certain amount of previous months?

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:18 pm

esjh89 wrote:thank-you fonthill
Im a no sugar coat bullshit kinda of guy so i appreciate that.
thanks for the info! Since casual hours fluctuate, is the 65-75 based on accumulated hours for a certain amount of previous months?
I’m not sure. You might have to ask H.R. The union wouldn’t know, hence why I asked and know this. Opseu is on the way out in the next contract anyways.

AlwaysOnDuty
Rookie Member

Postby AlwaysOnDuty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Fonthill wrote:...Opseu is on the way out in the next contract anyways.
Wait, what do you mean about that?
MCSCS | Ontario Correctional Services
Correctional Officer 2

poped79
Rookie Member

Postby poped79 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:28 am

supaDean wrote:Has anyone received an invitation to COTA for the January 2019 intake?

I assume that calls would start being made within the next week or so, but I could be wrong. I haven't received a phone call yet but hopefully soon..but my understanding is that the intake is scheduled for the middle of January.

Besic, D
Rookie Member

Postby Besic, D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am

Fonthill wrote:
esjh89 wrote:Time off and you haven’t even started yet. That’s a great attitude
Trying to work around wifes schedule with a newborn so any insight into an actual schedule is extremely beneficial. Great assumption though. All your posts are very positive.
Well, Congratulations. And yes, family is #1. When you get your shifts and you don’t want them, you can decline them or n/a the whole week if you like. As a causal, you are indeed entitled to mat leave. The employer also pays I believe 65% or 75%. So, make sure you ask ! Trust me. I’m here to help so if you want a real answer you will get it

For myself being positive is more like a being realistic. No need to sugar coat a job that isn’t all what it is set out to be
I believe people should speak the truth and tell it like it is.[/quote]

If it'll ease your mind, at the south we have staff services literally bending over backwards for everyone. We have people who are just starting strictly working 0700-1500 Monday to Friday, people accommodated to no inmate contact straight out of shadowing, etc...

So if you're looking to have an accommodated schedule the south is the place for you...

As for hours... the south still has as much OT as you want, and everyone is scheduled 40 hours. We even have people who are not finished shadowing and are on restricted deployment coming in for OT. You still make your own paychecks here.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 pm

AlwaysOnDuty wrote:
Fonthill wrote:...Opseu is on the way out in the next contract anyways.
Wait, what do you mean about that?
Opseu will be gone the next contract. If I’m correct. There is a union from Quebec that is solely made of lawyers ! That’s the union we are trying to get. Only way to get them is. The last 6 month of a contract they what is called the card process to vote them in.
Corrections stand only division is fed up with allowing the employer to break every CA rule possible and Opseu allowing it to happen.

Look how strong Canada post workers are and their union standing together.

Look at GM workers and there union standing together strong