Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RCMP37
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby RCMP37 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:17 pm

poped79 wrote:Does anyone know if there's going be a COTA intake for January 2019?
I'm pretty sure there is, I don't think Toronto South has a fully staffed building yet

poped79
Rookie Member

Postby poped79 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 am

RCMP37 wrote:
poped79 wrote:Does anyone know if there's going be a COTA intake for January 2019?
I'm pretty sure there is, I don't think Toronto South has a fully staffed building yet

Thanks!!

supaDean
Rookie Member

Postby supaDean » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 am

I hope you're correct. Has anyone heard from Recruitment in the past few weeks regarding January? How much notice would we receive? And one other thing... do we need to have our CPR before COTA? Cheers.

Besic, D
Rookie Member

Postby Besic, D » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 am

RCMP37 wrote:
I work at the South and I can confidentally tell you we are not even close to fully staffed.

poped79
Rookie Member

Postby poped79 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 am

supaDean wrote:I hope you're correct. Has anyone heard from Recruitment in the past few weeks regarding January? How much notice would we receive? And one other thing... do we need to have our CPR before COTA? Cheers.

Yesterday received an email from recruiting indicating that i've completed all the mandatory stages in the recruitment process. I'm assuming now that I wait for a contact from CSRU if I am to receive a conditional offer. Hopefully it happens - all part of the waiting game!!

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Besic, D wrote:
RCMP37 wrote:
I work at the South and I can confidentally tell you we are not even close to fully staffed.

'You think that's due to slow hiring or all the transfers out...?
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Besic, D
Rookie Member

Postby Besic, D » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

'You think that's due to slow hiring or all the transfers out...?
They didn't anticipate a lot of the things that would happen. We "recently" recieved about 100 inmates from maplehurst and are now keeping them here for a while, we opened up a new seg due to inmates destroying the other seg cells, plus we have MANY officers leaving (most people say roughly 1-2 a week on average are leaving for various reasons like other jobs, quitting, suspensions, transfers, etc..).

While that's all been happening the intakes have been smaller and smaller because they didn't forsee this all happening.

I work basically every friday-sunday and I can say that the overwhelming majority friday is early lockup, saturday and sunday is shower program. We all (including inmates and sergeants and managers) just assume saturday/sunday is lockdown due to shortage of staff. Recently we've had random weekdays having early lockups due to staff and flat out cancelling visits and sometimes not even having enough staff to run showers or visits at all.

Hopefully they notice this and actually hire a lot more staff though. Rumor is early next year they're starting hiring again.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Besic, D wrote:plus we have MANY officers leaving (most people say roughly 1-2 a week on average are leaving for various reasons like other jobs, quitting, suspensions, transfers, etc..).

I don't think they anticipated that aspect at all...
I said it pages ago... 'Anyone with any sort of formal education/qualification needs to keep looking for a better job.
Recent developments/announcements just go to show the future in corrections is bleak.
There isn't one of us approaching retirement even contemplating staying a day longer than necessary.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Yes, run as fast as you can away from this career and Ministry. It’s in extreme Crisis as we speak. future in corrections is extremely bleak. The last government sat aside aprx 375 million to fix the crisis in corrections along to give to the new Correctional Services Transformation Act, 2018
Appears the PC government hasn’t spent a dime of that money yet.

Good luck.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Fonthill wrote:Yes, run as fast as you can away from this career and Ministry. It’s in extreme Crisis as we speak. future in corrections is extremely bleak. The last government sat aside aprx 375 million to fix the crisis in corrections along to give to the new Correctional Services Transformation Act, 2018

Good luck.
It's true. I left for MOL....and I was Deputy Super! :alright:

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:47 pm

TripleChev wrote:
Fonthill wrote:Yes, run as fast as you can away from this career and Ministry. It’s in extreme Crisis as we speak. future in corrections is extremely bleak. The last government sat aside aprx 375 million to fix the crisis in corrections along to give to the new Correctional Services Transformation Act, 2018

Good luck.
6 up

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:55 pm

RobLobster wrote:
TripleChev wrote:

Good luck.
6 up
Best decision I ever made....

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Fonthill wrote: The last government sat aside aprx 375 million to fix the crisis in corrections along to give to the new Correctional Services Transformation Act, 2018

Good luck.

PC has/is actually cutting... As of last week all institutions where directed to cut 5% from their budgets
In the interest of OPSEC I won't divulge the cut(s) made at my inst., but its mind-blowing.
You'd be amazed at where priorities lie...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Last edited by RobLobster on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esjh89
Rookie Member

Postby esjh89 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Jan 14th